2008-2009 Southern Illinois University Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I haven't received my secondary yet and I decided to call the admissions office. The woman told me I will be receiving a letter next week. Does that mean rejection? I'm guessing that letter doesn't mean a secondary... what a bummer :(

Sorry Brandold. R U interviewing at any other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm still here :) As for my application history, I turned in 15 primaries but only followed up with 3 secondaries because I had decided at that point that tuition > 25,000 would not be worth it. I got accepted to an out of state school with in state tuition in october and then a few days later got my AWPA from SIU. Once I got the AWPA, I cancelled my UoI interview.

For me, the choice was easy. I had a lot of experience in undergrad with organized group academics. That, coupled with the fact that I absolutely hate lectures, led me to decide on SIU.

1st year is going well so far, thanks for asking! I have so much more free time than I ever anticipated. I basically study the general principles of the week's case in a review book and then pick up the stuff I might have missed in the 3-4 hours of lecture we have per week. Its very low stress

As for the city of Carbondale? Meh... I went to undergrad in Saint Louis and my apartment was one block off of the loop, so I'm really missing the diversity and trendiness that I had so readily available to me last year. To be honest, I wish all 4 years were in springfield - its just that much closer to STL (home) and that much further from obnoxious undergrads. Luckily, I live in a really nice townhouse complex for graduate students and about 15 other med students also live here.

Do you guys have time to work out/exercise in your spare time? I am a former college football player and current personal trainer so working out unfortunately has become ingrained in my lifestyle.

So, the admissions committee sat today and decided us october-interviewer's fate. We should be getting letters around next week or so.

Give it time guys. Mine did not come until like a week after I expected it because I recently moved. I had to call SIU and ask about the letter status when I got the AWPA news.

Do you guys know if we can call and see where we are on the AWPA list?

Do you guys have time to work out/exercise in your spare time? I am a former college football player and current personal trainer so working out unfortunately has become ingrained in my lifestyle.

Hey ceetothe,
I am a former college gymnast, so working out is something that is very important to me. The good thing about SIU is that there is not as much scheduled lecture time as there is at other schools. We always have tutor group M,W,F from about 8-11. There are usually a couple other things on those days too, maybe a histo or anatomy lecture or histo or anatomy lab, or some other session. Tuesdays are dedicating to "doctoring" where we learn our clinical stuff. Some Tuesdays you don't have anything scheduled and other days you have to do between 1-2 hrs of clinical stuff at school. We usually use Tuesdays to get our hours in with our MD mentors (basically learning from and shadowing a local physician). Thursdays are usually a couple of lectures. So, basically, there is plenty of "free time" and you can do with it what you please. I usually spend most of my time studying (especially lately because of end of the unit examination is coming up!), but it is really important to have balance. I work out about 5x/week and also try to watch some tv and go out to eat with friends/watch movies, etc. during the week too. It just really depends how you want to divide up your free time and how much studying you personally need to do (which will depend on what your background is....how much reviewing you have to do vs. also learning lots of new stuff).

Anything to add thRob???

Good luck :luck:

So I had my interview this past Thursday. I thought it was a great time. All of the other applicants were extremely nice, funny, and very competitive.

I was wondering if anyone knows how the ranking system goes for the AWPA. I may have accidentally seen my evaluation sheet....which had numbers on it from 1-3.

Does anyone know who gets accepted first on the AWPA? Does it go 1s first, 2s second, 3s last or 3s, 2s, 1s? Let me know.

Good luck to future interviewees. Just be yourself and everything will fall into place.

As I recall, you are ranked 0-3 in each section, a three being the best score. The numbers are totaled. You are ranked highest to lowest on the AWPA list. If you had a later interview and your score is higher than someone ranked after their earlier interview, you get put into a spot higher on the AWPA list. Thus, you are not penalized for a later interview. When it comes time to send out acceptances, the top 24 people on the list get a letter. If someone refuses an acceptance, the next person on the list gets an acceptance, even if it is before the next planned date to send letters of acceptance.

M185

Obviously a high score is more competitive on the AWPA list, but does anyone ever achieve the full points in each section?

Does anyone know their scores from previous years? What factors does the admissions committee take into account when choosing applicants post interview? I know they have some day devoted to doing this, I was just wondering how it goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the SIU website:

MD Selection Criteria (not in order):
    • Evidence of responsibility, maturity, integrity, and compassion
    • Proper motivation
    • Identification with the goals of the School
    • Exploration of medicine as a career
    • Service orientation
    • Good interpersonal skills
When I interviewed there, I never saw my scorecard, nor do I know anyone else who did, skrilladoc. You were just lucky. But seeing one card wouldn't help you, as they average the scores for each section after several people on the committee give their input.

The list is divided into thirds, they take the top 3rd (3) first then so on. In most years they get down to some of the (1)'s. In the past they made it to the waitlist but that has become more uncommon.

what happened to this thread? anyone get an AWPA letter as of late? hope everyone enjoyed their thanksgiving.

Does anyone know when SIUwill give out the first acceptances? I received AWPA in the first part of November and hoping to hear before Christmas.

what happens then if you don't get an AWPA letter? will you just never hear from them until May? Or will you get a letter when they send out acceptances this month?

Does anyone know when SIUwill give out the first acceptances? I received AWPA in the first part of November and hoping to hear before Christmas.

They actually sent out an email for the first acceptances a couple days before thanksgiving with a scan of the actual letter. The letter came a few days later. I'm not sure when they're sending the next round. Good luck!

the next round, as i recall from e.w. is on december 16 2008.

hope everyone is enjoying finals and the beginning of christmas break.

They actually sent out an email for the first acceptances a couple days before thanksgiving with a scan of the actual letter. The letter came a few days later. I'm not sure when they're sending the next round. Good luck!

Then why has nobody posted any acceptances in the '08'09 acceptance thread for SIU? Not ONE!

exactly. i dont think any acceptances have been given out. e.w. was pretty clear that dec. 16 was the first day that the adcom would make decisions.

exactly. i dont think any acceptances have been given out. e.w. was pretty clear that dec. 16 was the first day that the adcom would make decisions.

I got mine. I just never posted on the acceptance thread. Here's the text:

I want to be the first to congratulate you on your acceptance to the SIU School of Medicine. Attached to this email is a copy of your admission letter and the necessary enrollment form. A hard copy of this information will arrive at your preferred address soon.
We are excited about the possibility of you enrolling at our school. If you have questions or if you would like to speak to a current student let me know.

Congratulations! I hope that we see you in Carbondale this August.

Sincerely,
Evan Wilson

awesome job. im sorry i doubted you. is SIU your first choice? did you apply md/jd? i can't wait to hear back on dec. 16.

awesome job. im sorry i doubted you. is SIU your first choice? did you apply md/jd? i can't wait to hear back on dec. 16.

Thanks. I was under the impression that we wouldn't hear anything until December as well, so it was a welcome surprise. I just applied for MD (not MD/JD), but I'm pretty sure I'll be heading to SIU.

Congrats. hopefully others will hear soon:)

I got mine. Here's the text:

I want to be the first to congratulate you on your acceptance to the SIU School of Medicine. Attached to this gmail is a copy of your admission letter and the necessary enrollment form. A harder copy of this information will arrive at your preferred address soon.
We are excited about the possibility of you enrolling at our school. If you have questions or if you would like to speak to a current student let me know.

Congratulations! I hope that we see you in Springfield next August.

Sincerely,
Evan Wilson

only a few more days left until the first batch of acceptances goes out. i wish you all the best of luck. anyone get an AWPA letter as of recent or do they give those out next week as well?

Is anyone going to hear anything before the new year? :eek:

Is anyone going to hear anything before the new year? :eek:

I got a "secondary incomplete" reminder on the 21st. I really, really need to get a fourth letter of recommendation... and soon. Perhaps I'll send out an e-mail this evening. In that vein... my school letter service sent my packet to SIU as "electronic only." Can I have my fourth recommender send it directly to Carbondale (where/how?), or will I need to have it sent to the letter service, then sent again to SIU?

I got a "secondary incomplete" reminder on the 21st. I really, really need to get a fourth letter of recommendation... and soon. Perhaps I'll send out an e-mail this evening. In that vein... my school letter service sent my packet to SIU as "electronic only." Can I have my fourth recommender send it directly to Carbondale (where/how?), or will I need to have it sent to the letter service, then sent again to SIU?

i was in the exact same situation about a month ago. i go to university of illinois in urbana, so ill assume you also do. i just had the "fourth" recommendation sent to the career center and then used the leo system to forward that along to siu. as long as the recommendation gets to the career center a week before the siu deadline, this is what i would recommend. if you're afraid that will be cutting it too close, i would call the siu admissions office, update them on your situation, and tell them to expect a letter in the mail coming directly from your reference - i cant imagine it would be a big problem. hope that helps, and good luck.

p.s. if you need to motivation to get this recommendation, just know that i got offered an interview about two days after i submitted my final letter. (i doubt they even read it)

p.s. if you need to motivation to get this recommendation, just know that i got offered an interview about two days after i submitted my final letter. (i doubt they even read it)

That helps, especially since I just submitted the last one today.

FYI-
At my interview yesterday (1/12) Evan Wilson told our group that the committee was meeting January 13 and February 3. Apparently, at the February 3rd meeting the committee will be deciding on the next batch of acceptances. :thumbup:

FYI-At my interview yesterday (1/12) Evan B. Wilson told our group that the committee was meeting January 13 and February 3. Apparently, at the February 3rd meeting the committee will be deciding on the next batch of acceptances. :thumbup:

Was there a December batch? Nobody has said anything about receiving any accepts at all from SIU (AWPA don't count, yet)? What's going on?

Was there a December batch? Nobody has said anything about receiving any accepts at all from SIU (AWPA don't count, yet)? What's going on?

According to Evan, a first batch of acceptances was "sent before the new year". I'm not sure why nobody has posted their acceptances, except maybe those 20-25 people are not members of this website (I just found it and joined yesterday).

This happened last year. Maybe one person from the forums got in in December, then a bunch of us got in somewhere around mid-february. I believe that I got mine on Feb 16th last year living in Saint Louis.

SIU prefers applicants from south of I-80 as it is their mission to serve the people of central and southern Illinois. I've heard they might make a very, very rare exception for someone from an underserved rural area in the northern part of the state.

I go to school in Central Illinois but live in the suburbs of Chicago (that what it says on my DL). But the fact is, I live here at school year around. Will they consider me south of I-80?

I go to school in Central Illinois but live in the suburbs of Chicago (that what it says on my DL). But the fact is, I live here at school year around. Will they consider me south of I-80?

If thats the info you gave them on your transcript as your permanent residence, probably. In my case, my primary residence was listed as southern illinois but my current residence was an address in St. Louis. They only looked at my primary residence.

If the tour starts at noon, does anyone know approximately what time it is over?

Thanks.

My tour wasn't more than about a half hour, and I asked a bunch of questions so I'm sure the average tour is even shorter.

My tour was about an hour long, lots of questions were asked. Just got my AWPA letter today!!! so excited i really liked SIU a lot.

When did you interview and are you in central/southern Illinois? I interviewed on 1/8 but I haven't gotten a letter indicating which category I'm in. Congrats on your letter!

Im actually from northern suburbs, I interviewed 12/15. I know the committee met on 1/13 about placing students on the AWPA list, but i have no idea if your interview batch would have been included. Have hope! :D

I also got the AWPA letter on Tuesday. I am excited. This is pretty good news. Good luck to everyone!:luck:

The committee is supposed to meet tomorrow to discuss candidates who interviewed in January and to accept the next batch of applicants. Good luck to everyone!

When do you think the letter will be mailed out for those who interviewed in January? I interviewed on Jan. 8th and I thought Mr. Evans said that the committee was meeting on Feb. 3rd to discuss the Jan. applications and a few days later for the batch acceptances. If the January applicants are lucky enough to be on the AWPA list do they have to wait unil the March batch?

When do you think the letter will be mailed out for those who interviewed in January? I interviewed on Jan. 8th and I thought Mr. Evans said that the committee was meeting on Feb. 3rd to discuss the Jan. applications and a few days later for the batch acceptances. If the January applicants are lucky enough to be on the AWPA list do they have to wait unil the March batch?

Evan told us that notification of January interview results would get to us in about a week after their meeting today. I do remember him specifically saying that if the January interviewees are put on the AWPA list on Feb 3, then they can also be accepted with this upcoming February batch. Here's hoping!

So I finally joined today and will share my experience. I interviewed 12/22/08 and received my AWPA 1/15/09. I'm just waiting to hear anything about the Feb. batch acceptances.

Status
Not open for further replies.