2009-2010 AMCAS Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I try to print a LOE form out from AMCAS, it gives me a .cfm file and nothing else. Anyone else have this issue?

Members don't see this ad.

Just want to make sure... I added a LOE to one school, and I now have to certify and submit the application. This doesn't mean I have to get verified again or anything, right? And it wouldn't affect my application in any other way?

So I just got my summer class grade back, how do I go about updating my grades? Do I send in another transcript to AMCAS or what? Or do I send it to the individual schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm starting to fill out my AMCAS right now :D

When they ask if I want to be considered a disadvantaged applicant (social, economic, or educational), what exactly does that mean? Does it count if you grew up without your father and your mother had to work two jobs to support you?

Thanks

One more thing, if I plan on taking classes at a CC after I finish my undergrad(this December), how should I add that under "course work"? I understand I'm supposed to select the "current/future" option, but I won't be taking those classes at my undergrad institution. Do I have to add the CC to the list of schools I've attended?

Thanks

I added a couple of letters after verification. I even sent the letter request forms to the recommenders but now when I log into AMCAS they don't show up under letters of evaluation...Anyone knows what's up with this ?

One more thing, if I plan on taking classes at a CC after I finish my undergrad(this December), how should I add that under "course work"? I understand I'm supposed to select the "current/future" option, but I won't be taking those classes at my undergrad institution. Do I have to add the CC to the list of schools I've attended?

Thanks

yeah, you should add it

I noticed that I entered the wrong ethnicity in my AMCAS primary application, and have already submitted my applicaiton. How can I change this? Do I need to contact AMCAS? What can I do?

Bumping this because I've noticed a lot of these questions coming up in the past week or so.

If you find this thread useful, check out the 2009-2010 applicant sticky at the top of the main Pre-Allo page.

Hi guys,

Mike from Interfolio here, hoping to provide some clarification around what Interfolio can do for your application processes this year and beyond.

AMCAS has a fantastic relationship with Interfolio, where they receive our documents electronically. This means you have no need to trouble yourself with paper request forms correlating with all of your recommendations.

Instead, you can aggregate your documents on Interfolio and send them directly to AMCAS in one quick electronic delivery, which is priced at just $4.

At Interfolio, we can house all of your confidential documents in one place. They are digitized so that you can send them as many times as you like to as many schools as you like. There is no need to request multiple letters from the same writer! We can also store transcripts, CVs, resumes, and more.

You are in complete control of your credential file, choosing which documents to send to which institutions. There is no need to deliver your whole academic portfolio every time.

I hope this helps, and encourage anyone to give me a call directly for further clarification. My direct line is 202.223.3358 x 207.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi all,

I recently got my application verified. AMCAS changed all of the numeric college course GPAs (originally entered by me) to letter grades. There is a discrepancy between classes originally entered as OT grade of 3.3: Some were changed to B, whereas some were changed to B+.

This is the only real issue(?), and I'm trying to determine whether or not it's worth contacting AMCAS about.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or knowledge you all have about this.

Thanks and enjoy the weekend!

hey quick question, has anyone sent transcripts to AMCAS using Interfolio. I applied to AACOMAS and I used Interfolio so I have all my transcripts on Interfolio already. It would be so easy if I can just send it directly to AMCAS. Can I do this?? I have heard that AMCAS will only accept transcripts directly from the school?? Can someone please let me know ASAP!!

I keep searching and searching. WHERE ON AMCAS does it talk about AP credit being given a G? I was just verified and seems like almost every course has an X. Will that hurt me in anyway? Also, some of the AP courses they gave me a P, which I think was a mistake. Should I contact them? It doesn't change the GPA calculation because credit is credit.

What does exempt mean?

Please help!!!

Also, if I add another school to AMCAS at this point, will the other schools know about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I already submitted my AMCAS, but I realized I should have asked this,

So a couple of years ago I signed up for a TA spot, but the teacher never gave me a grade, and its showing up as IP for in progress. When I sent in my AMCAS, i called it a deferred grade and talked it over with the professor, he's gonna give me a grade later when I finish my research for him. Did i just screw up?

A question about the my verified application:

On all of my transcript trades, none of them were verified or given a GPA by AMCAS. Instead, I got a ≠, and when I looked it up, it said it was "a type of coursework not intended to be verified by AMCAS".

What does that mean? Is it because I'm from a foreign institution? Because I lived in America all my life, but I studied college outside the US, and just because of that minor thing, I've been turned into an international student, which isn't bad, except it complicates things.

So will the ≠ mark go against you when a school looks at it? I'm getting pretty worried, does AMCAS give this mark to all schools outside the United States? If not, and it only gives it to schools that are not heard of, then I'm confused because National Taiwan University should be a well known school, like Tokyo University or Peking University. But if it does give it to all schools outside the United States, I'd lol at the person from Cambridge who roars when he got that mark on his transcripts.

So simply put, what does that sign mean and does it go against you in your application?

i was wondering if it would hurt me if I did not take biochemistry 2...the first one will count as credits for graduation, but the second one doesn't. I was going to take a different 4 credit bio that WOULD go to my major so i could graduate on time. Is this a bad idea? I heard biochem 1 and 2 look good on applications

i was wondering if it would hurt me if I did not take biochemistry 2...the first one will count as credits for graduation, but the second one doesn't. I was going to take a different 4 credit bio that WOULD go to my major so i could graduate on time. Is this a bad idea? I heard biochem 1 and 2 look good on applications

I didn't even take Biochem 1 and have 5 acceptances including a couple of top 30s...

I didn't even take Biochem 1 and have 5 acceptances including a couple of top 30s...

I think it depends on where you apply. Some schools require it like some in fl. Elsewhere it doesn't matter.

I think it depends on where you apply. Some schools require it like some in fl. Elsewhere it doesn't matter.

I realize that, but for the poster with the question, Biochem 1 will cover him everywhere. I applied to 25 schools (none in Fla, though), and the only one that required a semester of Biochem kicked me to the curb early on in the cycle, so I never bothered to take it.

I realize that, but for the poster with the question, Biochem 1 will cover him everywhere. I applied to 25 schools (none in Fla, though), and the only one that required a semester of Biochem kicked me to the curb early on in the cycle, so I never bothered to take it.

I know, I was just saying to the original poster to check the requirements of the schools they are applying to. But yes I agree that generally nothing is really needed beyond a BS or BA and the prereqs of whatever school you apply to and not taking a recommended course is not going to hurt a person.

Take what you need for a major. don't take it to look good on an app. I think flip26 is saying this essentially and I agree. Unless a school reqs it then don't do it. Do what you need for your major.

Hi, spent hours to find an answer for my question as Im pretty sure it is sitting somwhere, but I would appriciate if someone can explain what all the deadlines on AMCAS page mean
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2009deadlines.htm

Im going to take Aug24 MCAT and score release would be around Sep28 Is it still possible to submit my app for the schools with Oct15 deadline?
I've herad that it takes a while for AMCAS to verify the trascripts so does that deadline means I just have to SUBMIT evrth and the verification times is not considered in that deadline?

Thanks for any clarifications

Hi, spent hours to find an answer for my question as Im pretty sure it is sitting somwhere, but I would appriciate if someone can explain what all the deadlines on AMCAS page mean
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2009deadlines.htm

Im going to take Aug24 MCAT and score release would be around Sep28 Is it still possible to submit my app for the schools with Oct15 deadline?
I've herad that it takes a while for AMCAS to verify the trascripts so does that deadline means I just have to SUBMIT evrth and the verification times is not considered in that deadline?

Thanks for any clarifications

That is the deadline by which a school has to have your AMCAS. If you wait til you get scores to submit then you will not meet that deadline if you have to wait 4-6 weeks because it is rather late. But if you submit your AMCAS before scores come out to those schools with an October 15 deadline such that it is submitted and verified long before MCAT scores come out then you will be fine.

I would highly advise you to submit and verify AMCAS before your MCAT scores come back. If you don't want to send to all schools at least do so to a few schools.

If you need to reapply for the next cycle, I heard supposedly that a website can rollover two LORs for you. Anybody else know about this or where I can do this? Thanks!

I am filling out my schools attended on AMCAS. During the 2005-2006 school year, I took a lab at my current university for AP Chemistry. This lab is on my transcript. Should I list dates attended as 2005-2011 or 2007-2011? I don't want it to look like I'm a 6th year senior, but I'm not sure if they'd dispute my start date if I put 2007. Alternatively, I could also list the 2005-2006 school year separately, as I was a non-degree-seeking, no-major student? Advice is appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.