2009-2010 Clinical/Counseling PhD/Psy.D. Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would say if the person is a great match for you, go ahead and apply anyway, keeping a few things in mind:

1. Does the person have a large lab? If so, if/when they go on sabbatical there will still be plenty of people (postdocs, research scientists, other grad students) who are around doing the same work. This could even be true if they leave the university and maintain a joint appointment.

2. Sometimes (perhaps oftentimes) if a professor leaves one graduate school for another they will have the option of bringing their students along to the new school.

3. Is there anyone around doing even remotely similar work? If your advisor leaves when you are well into your graduate study you could find some one similar to take you under their wing while you complete your degree.

Members don't see this ad.

I would agree with Wildcat's points - I would also add that having 2 solid potential PI's at a school isn't all THAT important; in most cases you will be assigned to one advisor and work mostly with that one person. So as long as that one person is a good fit, that is a good reason to apply. That lab being large and supportive is a great bonus - and having other faculty members that you would like to collaborate or could turn to if your advisor leaves is also a bonus - but once you get to school, your match with your one, main advisor is most important :)

Members don't see this ad :)
All this talk of POIs calling has me worried that I've heard nothing! Is that a common practice does anyone know?

Do people typically get in contact with their POIs at every school, even for Psy.D. programs?

I'm only applying to a couple of Ph.D. programs, one of which I knew my POIs was accepting new students for next fall, so I didn't bother to email as I didn't want to come across as sucking up. Now I think if I do email, it will definitely look like I'm sucking up since it's so close to deadlines. :confused:

I'm done with my drafts! FINALLY. Just some fine-tuning and I'm all set to go (kind of). ;)

Letter One:

Dear Applicant,

You suck.

Letter Two:

Dear Applicant,

Just in case you weren't sure, you suck.

:D

Haha, that's hilarious. I'll be expecting a few of those!

Do people typically get in contact with their POIs at every school, even for Psy.D. programs?

I'm only applying to a couple of Ph.D. programs, one of which I knew my POIs was accepting new students for next fall, so I didn't bother to email as I didn't want to come across as sucking up. Now I think if I do email, it will definitely look like I'm sucking up since it's so close to deadlines. :confused:

I only contacted POIs to find out if they were accepting students (and of course said, this paper you wrote was interesting and i was wondering X and here's my CV blahblahblah". I heard back from about 90% of them. In some cases I had the chance to get in touch with some of their graduate students to hear what it was like working with them / being at that school. VERY helpful if you can pull it off.

All this talk of POIs calling has me worried that I've heard nothing! Is that a common practice does anyone know?

I only heard from one person before official interview invitations, and it was a clarification question about my application.

This might also be due to the fact that at the lesser ranked schools, they are more clinical as opposed to research and thus don't get as much funding as the bigger schools. AKA- They have a lot more responsibilities. Even at the bigger schools, a lot of people are taking on a lot more than they used to. Thus, if there's no one able to do a lot of secretarial things, it's up to them. My advisor gets about 50 + emails a day, so it also can just get lost in the shuffle.
Having the website open is a great idea! Actually, I haven't even finished submitting my app yet. I emailed my POI last month and she was on maternity leave, so the DCT called and answered all my questions. Now my POI has emailed me and asked to call me as well (which is better than the DCT calling randomly--I was totally caught off guard!). I've posted this elsewhere, but it just goes to show you how much fit matters. This is a highly ranked, competitive program... there are some much lower-ranked "safety" programs I am applying to where the professor hasn't even returned my email!

I sent apps in in Nov/Dec and didn't hear from the schools until January. Don't sweat it. Just because you get a call doesn't mean that you're going to get in. They will look at everyone first and then decide. They don't settle. They want the best. So as long as you get your ap in on time, you should stop worrying.

This might also be due to the fact that at the lesser ranked schools, they are more clinical as opposed to research and thus don't get as much funding as the bigger schools. AKA- They have a lot more responsibilities. Even at the bigger schools, a lot of people are taking on a lot more than they used to. Thus, if there's no one able to do a lot of secretarial things, it's up to them. My advisor gets about 50 + emails a day, so it also can just get lost in the shuffle.

Last edited:
to those applying to drexel:

how research-oriented is it? the insider's guide listed it as a 4 on the 1-7 list, but i feel like it might be closer to a 6 from what i've heard.

on the app, they make you break down the % you want to do research, clinical work, teach, and administrative work... i put 50%-research, 25%-teach, 25%- clinical

what does everyone else think? anyone at drexel now??

i filled out the drexel app and didnt even see this! was it on the main app or was it an additional form? ahh freaking :eek:

i filled out the drexel app and didnt even see this! was it on the main app or was it an additional form? ahh freaking :eek:

hey, sorry i meant the faculty preference form, where you basically put all of your resume info...have you done that part? how research-based do you think drexel is?

I sent apps in in Nov/Dec and didn't hear from the schools until January. Don't sweat it. Just because you get a call doesn't mean that you're going to get in. They will look at everyone first and then decide. They don't settle. They want the best. So as long as you get your ap in on time, you should stop worrying.

I agree. I think my case is a special circumstance because my POI has only been in the field for a few years and is pioneering a new focus area in the program that didn't exist before. I think it's more that they're really trying to do everything possible to get as many qualified applicants to apply to work with this person/focus area, so they're doing a little more work on the recruitment end than a well-established professor would be doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
for drexel i actually have no idea. i emailed my pi and it kind of seemed like they were research oriented from his response, but i haven't heard anything specifically about it. i realized i didnt do the faculty preference form but that was such a weird question. i ended up putting research: 60 clinical: 35 teaching: 5

also, is it ok to send 4 rec letters if they only ask for 3?

For those of you applying to Vandy and Loyola, who are your POIs? If you're uncomfortable revealing it, no worries. I'm just curious b/c I'm applying there too.

I haven't had any of my POIs call me, but I DID have one e-mail my boss. Then again, I haven't officially submitted any apps online yet.

for drexel i actually have no idea. i emailed my pi and it kind of seemed like they were research oriented from his response, but i haven't heard anything specifically about it. i realized i didnt do the faculty preference form but that was such a weird question. i ended up putting research: 60 clinical: 35 teaching: 5

also, is it ok to send 4 rec letters if they only ask for 3?

It is okay to send 4- I am, and I called and asked all of the schools, lol.

You put 5% research? That's funny-- I woonder what they'll think about that. I secretly probably wanted to put about 5% haha. Sometimes I like research, though. I guess when I'm studying what I want to study it is different and better than working in someone else's lab, studying what THEY like.

They're pretty tough to get into, so I am not expecting much, anyhow, lol.

For those of you applying to Vandy and Loyola, who are your POIs? If you're uncomfortable revealing it, no worries. I'm just curious b/c I'm applying there too.

I haven't had any of my POIs call me, but I DID have one e-mail my boss. Then again, I haven't officially submitted any apps online yet.

I'll send it by PM... there's many lurkers.

It is okay to send 4- I am, and I called and asked all of the schools, lol.

You put 5% research? That's funny-- I woonder what they'll think about that. I secretly probably wanted to put about 5% haha. Sometimes I like research, though. I guess when I'm studying what I want to study it is different and better than working in someone else's lab, studying what THEY like.

They're pretty tough to get into, so I am not expecting much, anyhow, lol.

hahaha no i put 5 teaching, i have no interest in that, 65 research. lol.

is it ok to send 4 rec letters if they only ask for 3?

I am- I figured it couldn't hurt, and if anything they just won't read one of them. My professors all said it would be ok. :)

I guess when I'm studying what I want to study it is different and better than working in someone else's lab, studying what THEY like.

Eh? This hasn't been my experience--I've deliberately selected labs where I have some interest in the topic, and I've received EXCELLENT guidance and mentorship from the people I've worked under.

YMMV.

Eh? This hasn't been my experience--I've deliberately selected labs where I have some interest in the topic, and I've received EXCELLENT guidance and mentorship from the people I've worked under.

YMMV.

oh no, i have had a great deal of interest in the labs i have worked in...i meant doing data collection, entry, etc. is not as fun as coming up with your own ideas and implementing them. i am into forensic psych, too, so it is not easily feasible to study this in a university setting. i just mean i will enjoy designing my own studies more so than running participants and entering data. i've helped with analyses and all, too, but the bulk of my time is spent doing data collection/entry.

I know this is way early and probably too much wishful thinking but my sister (who is in fashion) offered to help me buy an interview suit for Xmas.
and I wanted to let her know if this is needed.

Are suits pretty standard for interviews or are they too "stuffy"?

I have been in the business world for awhile but I work for a very casual company and I can pretty much wear whatever I want to work, so I'm a little unsure about clothing for interviews. I don't want to stand out as I already will prob be the oldest at the interviews. In fact, I think one of my POIs may be younger than me!:p

If it makes anyone feel better, I'm a 5th year in a very research-oriented program and I did not send any emails to POI's. My undergrad advisor guided me in this, explaining that about 50% of faculty appreciate the emails and will get back to you, and about 50% might be annoyed or too busy to respond. I had 4 interviews and offers, so I don't think it's a huge factor!

Also, I personally didn't wear a suit. I just wore a nice button-down shirt and a dressy skirt. But, I'd say *most* women were wearing suits (maybe 70%)? A good option is to go with a top you like underneath, and you can always take the jacket off if you feel too dressed up.

at my first interview, i think everyone (95%+) wore suits...and i can't remember at my second, but i wore one and don't remember feeling out of place. i think this is a situation where it looks best to be over-dressed than under-dressed.

and like piperhen said, if you wear a nice shirt underneath, you can remove the jacket...or if it's really hot!

If I am to get any interviews :)xf:) I definitely will be wearing a suit...I personally wouldn't approach this any other way...

I know this is way early and probably too much wishful thinking but my sister (who is in fashion) offered to help me buy an interview suit for Xmas.
and I wanted to let her know if this is needed.

Are suits pretty standard for interviews or are they too "stuffy"?

I have been in the business world for awhile but I work for a very casual company and I can pretty much wear whatever I want to work, so I'm a little unsure about clothing for interviews. I don't want to stand out as I already will prob be the oldest at the interviews. In fact, I think one of my POIs may be younger than me!:p

I guess you won't be wearing your hamsterpants? By the way I am planning on being the oldest at any place that will have me for an interview, so if we happen to cross paths you may just have to deal with playing second fiddle :smuggrin:

I guess you won't be wearing your hamsterpants?

hmm, maybe hamsterpants and a nice blazer will do ;)

By the way I am planning on being the oldest at any place that will have me for an interview, so if we happen to cross paths you may just have to deal with playing second fiddle :smuggrin:

i'll flip you for it! heads or tails? :p

Just submitted 6 apps! WAHOOOOOOO!

I just hope everything goes smoothly with them and I don't have to end up re-sending anything...

completed 5 apps/9 so far... waiting for LORs for most

i hope they give me the letters by thursday... or else i am just going to start mailing the large envelopes first.

I am done with 3/9, guess what I will be doing for Thanksgiving ;)

anyone else totally sick of writing about themselves in statements.
ugh i'm not even half way done. so sick of "I".

anyone else totally sick of writing about themselves in statements.
ugh i'm not even half way done. so sick of "I".

haha yeah i agree...it bothered me that so many of my paragraphs begin with "i have" or "i am"...but it IS about us, so it's acceptable.

however, if you so have too many "I" statements, you could say " At X..." or "For X professor...", or "In the lab studying X"... that's what i did.

I have submitted 7/18 and I have 10/18 done. I'm waiting for my last LORs to arrive so I can send off these last 3 applications for the Dec 1st deadlines. I really hate that programs insist on everything being submitted as one package including transcripts and LORs. It is so much easier to submit LORs online or just have the letter writers submit them directly (well at least for us maybe not for the writers haha). It merely makes submitting these applications more anxiety provoking because you run the risk of having to overnight your application if your LORs are delayed in getting them to you!

In other news, I heard back from my MIA letter writer today. Apparently she had H1N1 - yikes! My first deadline is today and she is going to submit it ASAP and get the rest sent out over the weekend. The program said they'd accept letters through Dec 1 so I should be good to go. I did ask a former supervisor to write me a fourth letter just in case who'd already submitted it but she is not in academia or in psychology so this is much better. Feeling SO relieved... this has definitely been the biggest source of stress for me lately!

haha yeah i agree...it bothered me that so many of my paragraphs begin with "i have" or "i am"...but it IS about us, so it's acceptable.

however, if you so have too many "I" statements, you could say " At X..." or "For X professor...", or "In the lab studying X"... that's what i did.

Thanks, I've switched some of the Is around.

But I think I am just tired of thinking about myself and writing about myself. I'm as self absorbed as the next person but there is a limit. I'm really trying to personalize each essay for each school so there has been a lot of writing & editing.

I guess I will never write an autobiography. ;)

Thanks, I've switched some of the Is around.

But I think I am just tired of thinking about myself and writing about myself. I'm as self absorbed as the next person but there is a limit. I'm really trying to personalize each essay for each school so there has been a lot of writing & editing.

I guess I will never write an autobiography. ;)

If we're applying to any of the same schools, feel free to write about how great I am ;0) you know, just to fill extra space...

Do you think its inappropriate to ask a letter writer to read their letter? One of my letter writers submitted her letter online and also gave me a signed, sealed paper copy. I don't feel comfortable reading/opening the letter without her permission since its supposed to be confidential. Any thoughts?

Anyone feeling kind of weird about your lab(s) making plans for next year? We're submitting some grant applications in February (a lot of our grants are in their final year), and, while I'm *totally* committed to our team doing well as a whole (I adore my PI and fellow RAs), it's kind of strange knowing that I may or may not be working there next year.

Anyone feeling kind of weird about your lab(s) making plans for next year? We're submitting some grant applications in February (a lot of our grants are in their final year), and, while I'm *totally* committed to our team doing well as a whole (I adore my PI and fellow RAs), it's kind of strange knowing that I may or may not be working there next year.

Yes, especially when they want to know if you will still be there next year.

Do you think its inappropriate to ask a letter writer to read their letter? One of my letter writers submitted her letter online and also gave me a signed, sealed paper copy. I don't feel comfortable reading/opening the letter without her permission since its supposed to be confidential. Any thoughts?

I had this happen, too. I wouldn't open it - send the signed/sealed copy to the school, too. Unless you had asked about reading the letter ahead of time, asking now just is not going to come across well.

The fun doesn't stop there....if/when you learn how to write progress notes, you'll really start to dislike writing, "This writer/therapist/psychologist.....".

Yes, especially when they want to know if you will still be there next year.

See, that isn't a problem for me as my PI is one of my LOR writers... she's even made joking comments about writing me poor recs to get my to stay! (Thankfully, she showed me the letter before she sent the first one out--her MO with LORs--so I'm pretty sure she's kidding!)

Hey guys, I'm looking for more Canadian schools that have researchers that study anxiety (particularly OCD, social anxiety, their assessment, treatment, and etiology). I'm having a lot of trouble actually finding people that are actually accepting students.

I've already got U. Western Ontario, Ryerson, and Concordia. I was thinking UBC., U. Manitoba, and U. New Brunswick... but I was wondering if anyone else had ideas. BJ Cox is at U. Manitoba - but I got no reply from my email to him and I don't want to blindly apply. UBC only has 1-2 POIs of interest (one in clinical, one not).
(no U. Waterloo, POIs not taking students)

I'm also going to look at the ABCT conference listings, since that is going on now.

Good grief...one of my referees let me know he'd found a significant editing error in the letter he'd sent to over half of my programs. He copied/pasted a sentence w/o cutting from its original spot -- so he repeated a sentence. It was a complimentary statement, but I can't help but think this does nothing but diminish my already slim chances especially given I'm applying to only ten programs. I won't dwell on it...

@ hamsterpants -- sorry, no coin toss. I can't let you have Style points AND eccentric elder cred now that my LORs have taken a second hit.

Hey guys, I'm looking for more Canadian schools that have researchers that study anxiety (particularly OCD, social anxiety, their assessment, treatment, and etiology). I'm having a lot of trouble actually finding people that are actually accepting students.

I've already got U. Western Ontario, Ryerson, and Concordia. I was thinking UBC., U. Manitoba, and U. New Brunswick... but I was wondering if anyone else had ideas. BJ Cox is at U. Manitoba - but I got no reply from my email to him and I don't want to blindly apply. UBC only has 1-2 POIs of interest (one in clinical, one not).
(no U. Waterloo, POIs not taking students)

I'm also going to look at the ABCT conference listings, since that is going on now.

Gordon Asmundson at University of Regina studies anxiety.

Good grief...one of my referees let me know he'd found a significant editing error in the letter he'd sent to over half of my programs. He copied/pasted a sentence w/o cutting from its original spot -- so he repeated a sentence. It was a complimentary statement, but I can't help but think this does nothing but diminish my already slim chances especially given I'm applying to only ten programs. I won't dwell on it...

Ugh! At least it wasn't something he caught in your personal statement. I'm sure in the grand scheme, that will be super minor. If it makes you feel any better, I asked my 3rd referee to get my letter back to me by Friday, so I can send out my Dec. 1st apps, and on Friday he let me know he hadn't even started, but to not worry about it! I was two seconds from bursting into tears......HATE THIS PROCESS!!

ygolohcysp said:
Ugh! At least it wasn't something he caught in your personal statement. I'm sure in the grand scheme, that will be super minor. If it makes you feel any better, I asked my 3rd referee to get my letter back to me by Friday, so I can send out my Dec. 1st apps, and on Friday he let me know he hadn't even started, but to not worry about it! I was two seconds from bursting into tears......HATE THIS PROCESS!!

Oh that's terrible! I'm sorry to hear that. I hate this process too - it sucks having to depend on others to get something very important done for you. And on time too!

I'm sure that if your referee knows you well, he won't have any problem banging out a good LOR over the weekend. If anything, you can send in your packet of materials first or you could have him send it directly to the school to save some time (although that could be risky too).

I thought I was pretty stressed waiting for one of my LORS to get back to me. I'm still waiting for the letters to come in and I was planning on mailing everything Monday. I am developing this love-hate relationship with my mailbox. :love::mad: