2009-2010 UCLA/Drew Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I submitted my primary like 7/14 or so...just got the 2ndary today. This thing looks beastly though man:(...i wont have time to do this until next wed or so. :(

totally feel ya! i lost motivation through my last set of secondaries as well.. still two more to go :sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

I had a few questions..it asks for bullets not paragraphs so for example, it asks what role do you play in your immediate family...

Instead of writing long sentances instead they would just want like

• care for son
  • work full time to support son and wife
  • care for sick mother
  • etc
etc etc???? we just write short blurbs like this right? No long sentances? So confused....

I had a few questions..it asks for bullets not paragraphs so for example, it asks what role do you play in your immediate family...

Instead of writing long sentances instead they would just want like

• care for son
  • work full time to support son and wife
  • care for sick mother
  • etc
etc etc???? we just write short blurbs like this right? No long sentances? So confused....

i just sent you a pm :)

Members don't see this ad :)
just fyi i got the 2ndary today then later the same day i got a recieved primary application email...so i guess they do send them. Maybe they are just on an odd timeline. Afterall they dont get a lot of apps and only have a few spots

just fyi i got the 2ndary today then later the same day i got a recieved primary application email...so i guess they do send them. Maybe they are just on an odd timeline. Afterall they dont get a lot of apps and only have a few spots

interesting i never got a primary acknowledgment here..

I submitted my primary 7/8 and finally got the recognition of application e-mail. I feel a rejection coming, especially since people who submitted after me have already received secondaries. Darn :(

"Hello.

Thank you for your application to the UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program. The Admissions Committee is in the process of reviewing applications. If you are selected to receive a secondary application, it will be sent to the email address in your AMCAS Application.

Please allow three weeks for review of your application FROM today's date. If at this time you have not received correspondence on your application status, please feel free to email the Admissions Office at [email protected].

Thank you and best as you progress through the application cycle.

Admissions Office
UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program
Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science"

does anyone know what the deal is with this university? would the MD be coming from UCLA or Drew? or both? I'm still not totally clear on the relationship between the two of them... other than the fact that first 2 years will be at ucla, second two years will be in watts.

does anyone know what the deal is with this university? would the MD be coming from UCLA or Drew? or both? I'm still not totally clear on the relationship between the two of them... other than the fact that first 2 years will be at ucla, second two years will be in watts.

its a combined program but if the MD was gonna come from one i would say it would be Charles Drew!

Ok I finally got the acknowledgement whoopie, they said that they would need up to three weeks to decide if I get a secondary..... please god, help me get a Drew secondary :)

I submitted my primary 7/8 and finally got the recognition of application e-mail. I feel a rejection coming, especially since people who submitted after me have already received secondaries. Darn :(

"Hello.

Thank you for your application to the UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program. The Admissions Committee is in the process of reviewing applications. If you are selected to receive a secondary application, it will be sent to the email address in your AMCAS Application.

Please allow three weeks for review of your application FROM today's date. If at this time you have not received correspondence on your application status, please feel free to email the Admissions Office at [email protected].

Thank you and best as you progress through the application cycle.

Admissions Office
UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program
Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science"

According to my friend at UCLA Prime, she heard Drew adcomms have a lot of apps to go through and have been doing things out of order. So don't lose hope, at least I'm not

Are the applications for Drew processed separately from Geffen? I'm wondering if my application review would be held up at Geffen (whose secondary I've already submitted) because Drew just acknowledged my primary today and it will be a while before I get a secondary (if at all) and submit it.

Doesn't sound like this is the University for you. WATTS??? Be careful what you write...you never know who is reading these blogs! The degree comes from UCLA.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are not really interested in working with the underserved then the regular UCLA is probably the better choice for you, Drew only has about 24 spaces anyways and they reallly want people who are going to practice in such areas like the south central..

Are the applications for Drew processed separately from Geffen? I'm wondering if my application review would be held up at Geffen (whose secondary I've already submitted) because Drew just acknowledged my primary today and it will be a while before I get a secondary (if at all) and submit it.
they are seperate

A friend of mine talked to someone in the admissions office. Apparently interviews are not being offered yet, but will start (the interviews themselves, not the offers) late October.

I have the same question can you or someone answer this for me?

I'd like the same info if that's possible. :D

Also, for #6 (significant public service), I guess just say the activity and not describe right?

ok so for the bullet points i also had a hard time.. what i did was if i had a long page for one answer i used the bullets to separate the diff paragraphs and if i only had a short paragraph answer i used them to go from sentence to sentence! so for some questions i had like 2-3 bullet points and some 5-6 depending on what i had to say but staying withing the limit (i think it was about 600 character)!

to answer the public service question if thats the box with 6 spaces you dont have to explain just list them in order in the space they provide!

hope this helps and good luck everyone :)

Doesn't sound like this is the University for you. WATTS??? Be careful what you write...you never know who is reading these blogs! The degree comes from UCLA.

that's what it says on their website. watts is not a derogatory term. it's the name of their location. this is from their website:

Located in the Watts-Willowbrook area of South Los Angeles, CDU has graduated over 550 medical doctors, 2,500 post-graduate physicians, more than 2,000 physician assistants and hundreds of other health professionals.

anyone get an invite here yet?

wow this is like torture. I just got an email saying i could now check my status online. Went online, here's the status:

"The admissions committee has completed their review of your application. You will be notified of your status by US mail after November 15."

whYY?? lol

definitely torture, I got the email too but signed on and had no status. I haven't gotten the secondary yet either :( but I just got my MCAT scores last week, I got UCLA's secondary though. (I'm OOS)

I also got the no status update. What does this mean????

wow this is like torture. I just got an email saying i could now check my status online. Went online, here's the status:

"The admissions committee has completed their review of your application. You will be notified of your status by US mail after November 15."

whYY?? lol

I got the same thing. I'm a little scared, doesn't sound as if I have a secondary coming my way. We'll see :cool:

if this school doesn't want me, just reject me already. I got the e-mail 3 weeks ago saying to wait 3 weeks, now I get another message that says to wait another 4 weeks? ridiculous.:confused:

notified after nov 15 sounds to me like im going to get a rejection :scared: i wonder if they send interviews by mail too :confused:

So I got the status check email too and when I checked the website it just said my secondary was recieved..... They emailed me 3 weeks ago saying the same thing... Sigh and the torturous wait continues:lame:

if this school doesn't want me, just reject me already. I got the e-mail 3 weeks ago saying to wait 3 weeks, now I get another message that says to wait another 4 weeks? ridiculous.:confused:

same thing here. I am not sure why they would want us to wait till Nov 15. I think it is a rejection. they could have said 'hey here is the secondary' but no, it's not the case. oh well, time to move on...

Got this secondary yesterday! so excited. MCAT scores came in last week but my AMCAS was verified in early June.

Just got the invite!!!!!!!! Sooooooo excited this is my first one and my top choice:):):)

Just got the invite!!!!!!!! Sooooooo excited this is my first one and my top choice:):):)

omg congrats!!! was it by mail? email? phone?

im kinda losing hope a little since it seems like the "we'll notify you in nov" doesn't seem like its going to be an invite :(

omg congrats!!! was it by mail? email? phone?

im kinda losing hope a little since it seems like the "we'll notify you in nov" doesn't seem like its going to be an invite :(

I checked my status page and it said an interview had been scheduled and that the email with the details is coming. I called just to double check, (pre-med paranoia lol) and they told me I wasn't hallucinating and that the email will come on Monday. Don't loose hope yet it's still really early. My friend is in the program this year and she didn't hear until December and interviewed in January so keep hope alive!!!!!

can you send it to me also?? :]

sure.. i did write it couple posts back :)

ok so for the bullet points i also had a hard time.. what i did was if i had a long page for one answer i used the bullets to separate the diff paragraphs and if i only had a short paragraph answer i used them to go from sentence to sentence! so for some questions i had like 2-3 bullet points and some 5-6 depending on what i had to say but staying withing the limit (i think it was about 600 character)!

to answer the public service question if thats the box with 6 spaces you dont have to explain just list them in order in the space they provide!

hope this helps and good luck everyone :)

I checked my status page and it said an interview had been scheduled and that the email with the details is coming. I called just to double check, (pre-med paranoia lol) and they told me I wasn't hallucinating and that the email will come on Monday. Don't loose hope yet it's still really early. My friend is in the program this year and she didn't hear until December and interviewed in January so keep hope alive!!!!!

the "via mail" msg is sounding so much like a rejection letter specially now that the interviews are by email/status page! you never had that msg right? i was really counting on drew.. i hope my status changes :xf::xf:

the "via mail" msg is sounding so much like a rejection letter specially now that the interviews are by email/status page! you never had that msg right? i was really counting on drew.. i hope my status changes :xf::xf:

I didn't get the "via mail" message but you never know. It's not a "no" until you get final word so like I said keep hope alive!!!!!!!

I didn't get the "via mail" message but you never know. It's not a "no" until you get final word so like I said keep hope alive!!!!!!!

thanks :) im definitely keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully drew will love me back :love:

woohoo! totally excited! came home from an afternoon of chillaxing with friends to an interview invite! :D only bummer is that they just assign you a date without asking, and i cant make it then. hopefully rescheduling is not a big deal. :)

my primary was sent in late july and they sent me a secondary invite in early sept (which i turned around a couple of days later).

twistqueen, which day are u interviewing on?

woohoo! totally excited! came home from an afternoon of chillaxing with friends to an interview invite! :D only bummer is that they just assign you a date without asking, and i cant make it then. hopefully rescheduling is not a big deal. :)

my primary was sent in late july and they sent me a secondary invite in early sept (which i turned around a couple of days later).

Are any of you not from CA? I've been in CA for 4 yrs but I am not a resident, does any one know the stats on Drew admitting residents over non? Drew is not in the MSAR, but is it included in the UCLA Geffen stats?

Good luck to all, I am in the middle of the secondary!!!

twistqueen, which day are u interviewing on?

they originally scheduled me for 10/24, but i couldn't make that date. so i am now confirmed for the morning slot on 11/14. are u interviewing with drew as well? maybe we'll run into each other! sounds like an awesome program, and i'm lookin fwd to learning more about them.

hgregg - i am a CA resident so can't help you much. but if you got their secondary, that's a good start!

they originally scheduled me for 10/24, but i couldn't make that date. so i am now confirmed for the morning slot on 11/14. are u interviewing with drew as well? maybe we'll run into each other! sounds like an awesome program, and i'm lookin fwd to learning more about them.

hgregg - i am a CA resident so can't help you much. but if you got their secondary, that's a good start!

yup, see you there!

congrats wt :) i knew you'd get one! good luck on the interview guys :luck:

now im def. sure the mail you on november status is a rejection :(

the admissions process is still a big mystery to me despite all the time i've spent on SDN and communicating with admissions offices. i'm sure you have many interviews coming your way. it's still very early - stay positive! :)

Hi all, I sent my secondary to UCLA-DREW about a week ago (from CA) but my status page still says: secondary requested. Did your status page(s) change from requested to received/complete? and how long did this take? Any help would be appreciated!

Hi all, I sent my secondary to UCLA-DREW about a week ago (from CA) but my status page still says: secondary requested. Did your status page(s) change from requested to received/complete? and how long did this take? Any help would be appreciated!
yes it changed. you can call or email them and ask about your status...mine got lost in the mail (waited 2 weeks) and then the office gave me a person to email in whcih i emailed her and attached my 2ndary and photo...so just call/email them if u are super worried.

My app status page said "Secondary requested" until I got an interview invite 9/29.

I'm so excited. I'll be there 10/24.

Status
Not open for further replies.