2009-2010 UMDNJ-NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if anyone else on here is running late getting the health forms filled out... I know there's no way I can meet the Feb 15th deadline.

I go to school on the other side of the country and won't be in NJ [which is where my doctor is] until March so there's no way I can meet the deadline. I emailed the office to explain my situation and the woman asked if there was anyway I could get the process started at my university's health center. I don't think the deadline is strict especially since people will continue to be accepted past February 1st so of course their forms will be done later.

Members don't see this ad.

I go to school on the other side of the country and won't be in NJ [which is where my doctor is] until March so there's no way I can meet the deadline. I emailed the office to explain my situation and the woman asked if there was anyway I could get the process started at my university's health center. I don't think the deadline is strict especially since people will continue to be accepted past February 1st so of course their forms will be done later.

That's what I'm thinking...

I know they're not going to rescind my acceptance or anything crazy like that, but I'm still trying to get things done by the end of February. Life sans insurance makes everything expensive. I cannot afford all this crap, especially not right now... And since other schools haven't asked for any of this yet, I feel less inclined to rush to spend money I don't have, you know? le sigh

I'll probably just e-mail them to give them a heads up.

does anyone know how many people apply and how many people are offered interviews?? thankss

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite today. I kind of can't believe it... I've been complete since late August. (In case it matters to anyone: in-state, 3.5/38). I'll be pretty much interviewing for the waitlist, right?

Hey guys, current NJMS student with a couple of words of advice.

To those of you accepted: DO NOT DELAY ON THE HEALTHFORMS!! People I cant emphasize this enough. NJMS is extremely tolerant on everything else like tuition, transcripts, etc. But on healthcare they will kick your arse out with the quickness if you miss the deadline. We handle patients from day 1, so its vital to have your immunizations cleared. Just do it, take the time and spend the money if you have to but DO IT!

To those of you still waiting to hear: Hang in there. Our admissions office is usually swamped so you will be waiting, but trust me its worth it to go here.

To those of you waitlisted: Have hope! In previous years NJMS has started to accept literally the class size instead of overaccepting. This way the waitlist actually means something. Stay in touch with admissions.

To those of you wondering on RWJ vs. NJMS: Obviously I'm biased for NJMS but here are some facts:

NJMS's UH is attached to the school, offering direct patient access. You have to drive a couple of miles to do this at RWJ.
NJMS has one of the oldest student run clinics in the country (2nd oldest in the nation I think)
NJMS is quite close to NYC, translation: Partyyyyyyyyyyy
Research is great at both schools, though on this point its bit in RWJ's favor but thats largely due to RWJ being located on Rutgers' campus <---- massive science oriented university

Either way both schools are great and for those of you fortunate enough to have a choice, think long and hard on it. Eitherway you'll do great.

Good luck!!

Hey guys, current NJMS student with a couple of words of advice.

To those of you accepted: DO NOT DELAY ON THE HEALTHFORMS!! People I cant emphasize this enough. NJMS is extremely tolerant on everything else like tuition, transcripts, etc. But on healthcare they will kick your arse out with the quickness if you miss the deadline. We handle patients from day 1, so its vital to have your immunizations cleared. Just do it, take the time and spend the money if you have to but DO IT!

To those of you still waiting to hear: Hang in there. Our admissions office is usually swamped so you will be waiting, but trust me its worth it to go here.

To those of you waitlisted: Have hope! In previous years NJMS has started to accept literally the class size instead of overaccepting. This way the waitlist actually means something. Stay in touch with admissions.

To those of you wondering on RWJ vs. NJMS: Obviously I'm biased for NJMS but here are some facts:

NJMS's UH is attached to the school, offering direct patient access. You have to drive a couple of miles to do this at RWJ.
NJMS has one of the oldest student run clinics in the country (2nd oldest in the nation I think)
NJMS is quite close to NYC, translation: Partyyyyyyyyyyy
Research is great at both schools, though on this point its bit in RWJ's favor but thats largely due to RWJ being located on Rutgers' campus <---- massive science oriented university

Either way both schools are great and for those of you fortunate enough to have a choice, think long and hard on it. Eitherway you'll do great.

Good luck!!

Hi! Thanks for this post, I've been really stressing out about NJMS. Is it OK that I PM you with some questions?? Thank you!

I shouldve posted this in my original post but yes if anyone has questions please dont hesitate to PM.

Anyone who thinks they'll be at NJMS next year should join the facebook group! Just search "NJMS 2014"

I just got the letter today saying i was Waitlisted =(.... hope they accept me off the list in june!... does anyone have any advice on what i can do to increase me chances?

I just got the letter today saying i was Waitlisted =(.... hope they accept me off the list in june!... does anyone have any advice on what i can do to increase me chances?

:( when did you interview?? I had my interview in the beginning of November and I'm still waiting to hear back

where did u guys get the health forms? did it come in the acceptance packet? i dont remember getting anything else from njms..

Members don't see this ad :)
whoops.. looks like i need to get that done. guess i should give them a call and tell them im going to be a little late with it

whoops.. looks like i need to get that done. guess i should give them a call and tell them im going to be a little late with it

+1

Well, I'm immune to everything...got the complicated stuff out of the way. Just got to get the PPD and a physical.

Do we need to resubmit the other meningococcal vaccine form on 180 West Market Street housing site if we already sent the form in for the vaccine in the original packet for immunization stuff?

It's true. They'll pull you out of orientation until it's done.

To clarify: RWJ is much stronger in basic/translational research. There's absolutely no question about that. The NJMS Cancer Center would have leveled the field a bit, but it hasn't really gone anywhere.

Clinical research is where NJMS shines. They have the International TB institute and several other large-scale NIH-funded clinical projects/trials.

Hey, I was waitlisted too. I am keeping on top of the admissions committee, keeping them abreast of every good thing that happens to my transcript, and I am also submitting more letters of rec. Everything and anything to let them know that I am still alive and still interested in going to NJMS

Does anyone know when NJMS stops interviewing?

I've been complete since early August and haven't heard anything. I'm not optimistic at this point that I'll receive an invite, but I just want closure so that I can move on.

Does anyone know when NJMS stops interviewing?

I've been complete since early August and haven't heard anything. I'm not optimistic at this point that I'll receive an invite, but I just want closure so that I can move on.

ditto (early sept. for me).....doing well in their masters program has gotten me a whole lotta silence heh

Just got the "non-compliance with matriculation requirements" email even though I already talked to the woman about why I couldn't get my health forms in on time.

Hi,

I was just wondering what people's average mcat/gpa were that were accepted.

Im at about a 3.6/ 11PS, 8VR, 11BS, and wanted to get an idea of my chances. (in-state)

Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm applying for the c/o 2015.

Thanks!

3.6/3.7/33 I was accepted pretty early also. You stats look pretty average but good, and since you are in state i think you have a decent shot. Get a 4.0 this semester and apply early!

3.4 GPA 34 MCAT...Got wait-listed last year (application was a little late)...Applied early this year and got accepted in Oct.

Interview: 11/10
High Priority Waitlisted: 2/16

Does the waitlist move at all before June?

Just to share:

I received my waitlist letter today, and I interviewed as OOS on Dec 14, 2009, as others that also got waitlisted.

For the posts immediately before mine, would you mind specifying the language of your letter? I'm just trying to find out if there is a "high priority alternate list" and a "priority alternate list," or if posters have been calling the same thing different names...

For disclosure, my letter says "priority alternate list."

Current medstudents, do you know about the name of the different tiers in the waitlist? could you clarify any of this?

Thanks!

Just to share:

I received my waitlist letter today, and I interviewed as OOS on Dec 14, 2009, as others that also got waitlisted.

For the posts immediately before mine, would you mind specifying the language of your letter? I'm just trying to find out if there is a "high priority alternate list" and a "priority alternate list," or if posters have been calling the same thing different names...

For disclosure, my letter says "priority alternate list."

Current medstudents, do you know about the name of the different tiers in the waitlist? could you clarify any of this?

Thanks!

this is just speculation, but i dont think there is a difference between "high priority alternate list" and "priority alternate list" ! i talked to someone else who was WL and theirs says "alternate list"

I didn't know they separated the waitlist into two categories :/. I was waitlisted on Oct. 16th.. Think they had the high priority waitlist category that early?

3.6/3.7/33 I was accepted pretty early also. You stats look pretty average but good, and since you are in state i think you have a decent shot. Get a 4.0 this semester and apply early!

awesome thanks! just one last question, would you recommend retaking the mcat to increase my vr? im pretty busy, but if i need to, Ill retake it in late april. I tended to score between 8-10 in practice exams.

Officially withdrew my acceptance today. Hopefully a spot will open up for one of you waiting. Best of luck to all those attending to NJMS next year!

NJMS hasn't extended interview offers for a while now. It seems like they're done. Anybody have any info? I can't get any feedback from them.

NJMS hasn't extended interview offers for a while now. It seems like they're done. Anybody have any info? I can't get any feedback from them.

mmm... Yeah, I think they finish interviewing pretty early (Dec it seems, maybe 1st days of Jan). This just from bits of info and impressions I got from the Admissions Office... nothing official. I wonder why they have to wait until the beginning of June to start accepting from their waitlist...

Perhaps few people withdraw before the May 15 deadline, and then it takes them around 2-3 weeks to review Waitlisted applicants? Just idle speculation.

Well good luck!

someone recently posted on the UMDNJ-RWJ forum that RWJ has been placed on probation by the LCME, considering that RWJ was in a better financial situation than NJMS, I find it hard to believe NJMS won't be placed on probation soon...has anyone heard any news?

someone recently posted on the UMDNJ-RWJ forum that RWJ has been placed on probation by the LCME, considering that RWJ was in a better financial situation than NJMS, I find it hard to believe NJMS won't be placed on probation soon...has anyone heard any news?

I just saw this on the RWJ board as well. I asked the same question there, but I just did a little research.

http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm

RWJ was up for review this year. NJMS won't be up until 2012-2013. So, it will be in the middle of when we're there. But, I assume that it could learn from RWJ's mistakes and fix the problems. Do you think this is a naive assumption?

i don't think it's naive, it's just that i know njms was facing really really hard times financially, if rwj can't pass LCME, i don't think njms will either...it's really unfortunate that nj residents may no longer have strong public school options....thank you budget cuts...

RWJ was not placed on probation; that was just someone on the other forum trying to start a rumor.

RWJMS was NOT placed on probation. This was a rumor propagated by one poster (ScutBuster--whom many of us think is a premed trying to get off of the waitlist). We JUST finished our LCME visit last week, and here is the e-mail we received from the Dean (we have not even received our final report, so, there is no way we could be placed on probation). Please see the UMDNJ-RWJMS thread to see the full discussion of the rumors perpetuated by this one individual.

From the Dean;

If anyone needed any further prove what a liar ScutBuster was (This is from the Dean of RWJMS sent to the students):

[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]TO: Faculty, Staff, and Students
RE: Conclusion of the LCME Site Visit
DATE: March 11, 2010

I am very pleased to inform you of the very positive preliminary results from our recent LCME accreditation survey visit. The site visit team praised our faculty and students and found that we are essentially meeting all of the LCME standards. While two standards were identified by the survey team as requiring additional attention, this number is well below the average number of standards generally cited at surveys as needing improvement.

This excellent outcome could not have been achieved without the hard work and full participation of our faculty, staff and students in this very intense and rigorous process. Your commitment to our school is invaluable and your contributions are greatly appreciated.

We now await the final recommendations from the LCME which we expect to receive in July. Given the very positive information from the site visit team, we believe that the final set of recommendations will be reasonably consistent with this preliminary report and help us improve our educational offerings even further.

While we could not have achieved these results without the support of each and every member of the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School community, I would like to especially thank Stephen Lowry, MD, Senior Associate Dean for Education for his leadership throughout this process; Carol Terregino, MD, Interim Senior Associate Dean on the Camden Campus, for her excellent work; David Seiden, PhD, Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Siobhan Corbett, MD, Chair of the Curriculum Committee for their work. Lastly, I want to thank David Swee, Associate Dean for Education, for his coordination of this entire process.

Thank you and congratulations to all.

This message has been approved by: Peter S Amenta
This message has been sent by: Lucy Mashas
user_offline.gif

why would you think that RWJ would be in better financial situation than NJMS? They are all under the UMDNJ umbrella so all have the same financial situation... UH was the only hospital last year to break even, and the UMDNJ as a whole took a hit of 35 million, and UMDNJ has 175million cash on hand. Good to hear that RWJ passed LCME review.

why would you think that RWJ would be in better financial situation than NJMS? They are all under the UMDNJ umbrella so all have the same financial situation... UH was the only hospital last year to break even, and the UMDNJ as a whole took a hit of 35 million, and UMDNJ has 175million cash on hand. Good to hear that RWJ passed LCME review.

Just something I heard from another med student at NJMS...of course, everything has to be taken with a grain of salt...but yeah, all hearsay...

The RWJ hospital has an obscene endowment from J&J. No doubt some of this goes toward the school that bears its name.

Are you sure UH broke even last year? That seems pretty unlikely considering their $50M hit 2 years ago. If UMDNJ has all this cash on hand, why do they keep raising tuition and citing government cuts? Something isn't adding up...

Let's back to real discussion as this thread should be about discussion of status of secondary and application. I think both school is good and will not have any issue as far as credential. We shouldn't worry about someone own interpretation and personal issue.

with this, any one has idea how admission process going? are they still interviewing ? Are they full? will there be waiting list movement soon?

Just got waitlisted... apparently they will let me know in early June. Sighhhh.

Just got waitlisted... apparently they will let me know in early June. Sighhhh.

Sorry to hear that Drop. Well, there's still hope, and just to cheer you up a bit, I'd like to share that I'll be withdrawing from the waitlist. I was told by admissions that I was within the top 10%. I just got accepted to my top choice, so I won't be hanging on around these parts anymore.

I hope that gives someone else the shot they need. Good luck!

i was never a big fan of facebook, but there isn't even a umdnj-newark 2014 facebook group or anything? anywhere people can discuss rooming situations, things of that nature? cmon

Status
Not open for further replies.