2009-2010 University of California - San Diego (UCSD) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info. November does seem crazy late for secondaries, though. A good friend of mine (IL resident) interviewed at UCSD in October, maybe November for the MD/PhD program. I'll have to ask her when she got her secondary. She had a 4.0, and something like a 33/34ish MCAT, so clearly an awesome applicant, but she must have gotten the secondary sooner than November.

Interesting. was this last year? or maybe MD/PhD is different. either way, it sucks that this is my top choice right now, and it SEEMS to be the only one at which I haven't made that "first cut" so far. it's annoying how life works like that sometimes (but yeah, Nov secondary is really late, anyone know how many people they offer secondaries to?)

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting. was this last year? or maybe MD/PhD is different. either way, it sucks that this is my top choice right now, and it SEEMS to be the only one at which I haven't made that "first cut" so far. it's annoying how life works like that sometimes (but yeah, Nov secondary is really late, anyone know how many people they offer secondaries to?)

They offered almost 2000 secondaries for entering class of 2008, I believe.

Yup, this was last year's cycle. The MD/PhD system might be different, though, as you say.

UCSD is my top choice, as well...San Diego, please show us some love! haha :) Seriously, if I got in there, I would throw myself a party! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, this was last year's cycle. The MD/PhD system might be different, though, as you say.

UCSD is my top choice, as well...San Diego, please show us some love! haha :) Seriously, if I got in there, I would throw myself a party! :)

If I am accepted too, a big if, am I invited?:)

ok so anyone have any idea how to even start off on this prompt? it seems EXACTLY like our personal statement for AMCAS doesnt it? Like why do you want to go into medicine type thing. I mean should we consider it as if the question said "tell me all about yourself and what you like?" cause if i jsut start talking about why i want to go into medicine it will sound like my personal statement. anyone have any suggestions or ideas or care to tell me what they did?

ok so anyone have any idea how to even start off on this prompt? it seems EXACTLY like our personal statement for AMCAS doesnt it? Like why do you want to go into medicine type thing. I mean should we consider it as if the question said "tell me all about yourself and what you like?" cause if i jsut start talking about why i want to go into medicine it will sound like my personal statement. anyone have any suggestions or ideas or care to tell me what they did?

I kept why medicine to a minmum (I mean just look at the AMCAS, freaking UCSD)!
I instead elaborated on where I see myself on my career after medical school.

^ I checked the website. It does say a "small percentage" will get immediate secondaries and more will be handed out later. I'm assuming small percentage would be less than 50%, but if it's really 200/2000 (10%), I'll take it!

So how did they choose the "small percentage" then? Can everyone post GPA/MCAT just for funsies, even if y'all said a 3.9/37 didn't make it? Just curious. And state of residency too

3.9/34...CA

3.6/34 in CA

mine says 7,500 characters though, not 10,000.

Okay, I'll change it to 7500. It was 10,000 last year.

That's why I asked you guys to paste it here or PM it to me...

I checked up on the secondary thing (with a RELATIVELY reliable source) and was told that these "immediate invites" are sent to only CA residents. This seems to hold up, unless an OOS student can claim he/she received one....

I'm a Utah resident, and I received a secondary the first day they came out.

ok so anyone have any idea how to even start off on this prompt?

I had a blurb about childhood/high school, and the bulk of it was spent talking about the various activities I was involved in during college. I really did just stitch together my UCLA secondary to make my UCSD secondary, so if you go look at the UCLA prompts, you'll know exactly what I talked about :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm an older student, so it's hard to narrow down my ECs to just 3 years. Will UCSD also be looking at my AMCAS to see my activities? I still can't decide if I should focus on my college or grad school years in that 3 year period.

Hey guys! I'm an older student, so it's hard to narrow down my ECs to just 3 years. Will UCSD also be looking at my AMCAS to see my activities? I still can't decide if I should focus on my college or grad school years in that 3 year period.

I'm sure they will also look at your AMCAS. They just *also* want to see you write about your own life in 7500 characters. Write about whatever is most important to you.

Thanks shemarty! With the autobiographical sketch, it seems like they almost want an descriptive timeline of your entire life! I'm up for that, but are some people focusing more on one area than another?

Submitted! I just need to send my check later this week.

Can we use our amcas activities and copy them into the secondary/

For those who already submitted, how do you view your completed app again? They don't have a link to the completed app. on the status page.

hey, for the activities section can we list something like playing a musical instrument? So do I just put that under volunteer? lol....

Just more food for thought...

40+/3.95... IL

Did not receive secondary yet. Although I am applying MD/PhD so maybe it is different.

I was just acknowledged. For those of you that got the auto-secondary, how long between acknowledgment and secondary? Was it immediate?

i also just got the "UCSD received your AMCAS application" email =)
its nice of them to let us know - got me excited there for a sec!!

Looks like from older posts there was a day gap between the secondary and the acknowledgment.

I was just acknowledged. For those of you that got the auto-secondary, how long between acknowledgment and secondary? Was it immediate?

So you got the actual secondary app?

So you got the actual secondary app?
No thats what I'm waiting for. I just wanted to know how long inbetween both of those emails. Looking at the forums it looks like about a day...?

for the additional acitivities section, can we include activities other than research stuff. What confuses me is that it only indicates research activities under the additional acitivities section.

on the status page it shows that they got my app today so im guessing the later you are verified the later they'll get your application even if you are verified around the 24th that all applications came out! makes me wonder if all the other schools that didn't email me even got my application yet :cool:

I got my secondary about 24 hours from when I got that first email.

I've been acknowledged, but I wonder what will happen with me since my MCAT scores won't be released for a few weeks. CA resident, too. I would like to think I'll receive a secondary in August rather than November, but who knows.

Has anyone who got an ackowledgement yesterday recieved anything back yet? Still waiting. . .

Last edited:
OMG just approved for a secondary, and I'm OOS!!!!!

I haven't been this happy to get a secondary from any school!! :D

Edit: ok so I clicked on the link in their email to access the secondary, but the applicant status check still doesn't say I've been approved for a secondary... anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:
I just finished mine...it's at 7474 XD right at the border...

I just need to wait for my stupid Career Services Center to sort out my LOR's now :(

OMG just approved for a secondary, and I'm OOS!!!!!

I haven't been this happy to get a secondary from any school!! :D

Edit: ok so I clicked on the link in their email to access the secondary, but the applicant status check still doesn't say I've been approved for a secondary... anyone else have this problem?

just curious when did UCSD mark you as they got your primary app?

my secondary is working now haha. they marked my primary on 6/29 and approved me for secondary on 7/9
oh cool, maybe they just meant they are reviewing apps for secondaries until nov.

oh cool, maybe they just meant they are reviewing apps for secondaries until nov.

so you don't think this falls under the 'immediate invites' category? aww I was feeling so special :(

so you don't think this falls under the 'immediate invites' category? aww I was feeling so special :(
ahha no dude i dont know, it was just a guess...its not like i know anything about ucsd and their process. Your stats are so sick it doesnt matter anyways :p

I was also approved for a secondary yesterday and had the same problem. But, it fixed itself a couple hours later and I was able to access the secondary by the afternoon.

I am a CA resident with a 3.9 but no MCAT score yet (taking exam on 08/05). So, they must not be basing secondaries totally on scores.

Now to figure out what to say in 7500 characters that I haven't already said in 5300...

Now to figure out what to say in 7500 characters that I haven't already said in 5300...

I know! can't I just send in a studly picture? If a picture's worth a 1000 words, then surely it's worth a good 4500 characters

I know! can't I just send in a studly picture? If a picture's worth a 1000 words, then surely it's worth a good 4500 characters

haha! that's exactly what my brother-in-law said, then added, "when questioned, tell them you assumed that such an absurd assignment could only have been a test of wit." unfortunately, i'm pretty sure if i went with that tactic i wouldn't get the opportunity to be questioned :)

Status
Not open for further replies.