2009-2010 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
arg.. so another 4 weeks? and snail mail not email?

Members don't see this ad.

4 weeks isnt that bad, honestly I wish more schools did what vanderbilt did as far as their whole admissions process goes:)

Members don't see this ad :)
4 weeks isnt that bad, honestly I wish more schools did what vanderbilt did as far as their whole admissions process goes:)

I was fine with it... and then I looked at the secondary essay prompts. Those are going to be awful, and I don't want to do them until I absolutely know I will have to.

I was fine with it... and then I looked at the secondary essay prompts. Those are going to be awful, and I don't want to do them until I absolutely know I will have to.

I think every third applicant is invited for an interview. You have 30% chance, you might as well start drafting.

Luckily, the "diversity" essay is common, so if you've done a secondary with one of those you can work with what you've already done.

Thankfully, the "overcoming a challenge" essay is hardly as bad as say OSU's "altruism" essay or any of the number of crazy "moral dilemma" essays.

But the autobiography is killer.

luckily my school's internal application had us write a short autobio (about a page and a half long). I think I have already done the diversity essay a lot, the adversity one is going to be a bit challenging to write.

Here's hoping for a positive snail mail from Vanderbilt!

True that. I feel like Vanderbilt is doing it the way every medical school should. It shows some sympathy for the poor pre-meds who have to shovel out all kinds of cash to even have a shot at a school.

I loves me some Vanderbilt......even if they shoot me down.

Isn't Vandy's secondary only like $50 too?

I love Vandy, even if they have the worst team the SEC.

Isn't Vandy's secondary only like $50 too?

I love Vandy, even if they have the worst team the SEC.

Yeah, I know. And they pay for flights and hotel and stuff for second look peoples. My ex was all set to go to Vandy for c/o 2012 but got off the waitlist elsewhere, so I know a lot about how Vandy does this stuff.

Yay SEC! So funny story... when I was applying to college, my father told me that the only other SEC school I could even consider was Vandy because their football team is the only one that always sucks.

oy . . . just read the part on the website about how you have to have everything done by this fall in order to be considered. I hope they will take a semester of biochem in place of Orgo 2 . . . anyone know? (I know, I know, i will probably have to call and ask.)

That would suck . . . if they don't i'll have to take orgo 2 this semester. bleh.

Members don't see this ad :)
oy . . . just read the part on the website about how you have to have everything done by this fall in order to be considered. I hope they will take a semester of biochem in place of Orgo 2 . . . anyone know? (I know, I know, i will probably have to call and ask.)

That would suck . . . if they don't i'll have to take orgo 2 this semester. bleh.

where do you see that? link?
I feel like i heard they do accept biochem but maybe I'm mixed up. If you find out let me know since I'd need to take Orgo 2 too. Luckily the screen BEFORE secondaries so if you have no shot you don't need to take the class

where do you see that? link?
I feel like i heard they do accept biochem but maybe I'm mixed up. If you find out let me know since I'd need to take Orgo 2 too. Luckily the screen BEFORE secondaries so if you have no shot you don't need to take the class

https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/admissions/amcas-application

yeah, that little tidbit of info is listed under the "amcas" page of the website . . . could screw you over if you didn't look at it! i found the whole website to be really confusing, and their admission procedures are confusing enough :( i still dont quite get it . . . so you only get a secondary if they want to interview you . . . and they decide whether they invite you for an interview before they get your LORs?? so basically the interview decision is made before you even fill out a secondary and have LORs? someone please correct me if i am wrong.

i just called the office about the biochem thing too but the girl i talked to didn't know, so she gave me someone's email address . . . who i will go email now.

https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/admissions/amcas-application

yeah, that little tidbit of info is listed under the "amcas" page of the website . . . could screw you over if you didn't look at it! i found the whole website to be really confusing, and their admission procedures are confusing enough :( i still dont quite get it . . . so you only get a secondary if they want to interview you . . . and they decide whether they invite you for an interview before they get your LORs?? so basically the interview decision is made before you even fill out a secondary and have LORs? someone please correct me if i am wrong.

i just called the office about the biochem thing too but the girl i talked to didn't know, so she gave me someone's email address . . . who i will go email now.

Well I suppose the upside is that I should be hearing from them before classes start since I got my app in early, so if I need to I'll be able to take Orgo 2.

And you are correct about the secondary and LORs thing. They don't see anything but your primary before asking for more info and offering an interview.

anyone know when they start sending out invites?

Last year - 8/3

Year before that - 8/6

So, soon... :scared:

crap. I'll be on vacation that week so if I get a letter I'm going to have to make my dad open it and read it to me over the phone. I'm not sure I could handle that.
If I were reading it myself I'd just scan it for the link the secondary before reading the opening lines which never really tell you anything.

EDIT: Just looked it up 8/3 is the first sunday(?) of august and 8/6 is the first monday. So I'm assuming people should start hearing this year on the 3rd or so.

Last edited:
Well I suppose the upside is that I should be hearing from them before classes start since I got my app in early, so if I need to I'll be able to take Orgo 2.

And you are correct about the secondary and LORs thing. They don't see anything but your primary before asking for more info and offering an interview.

::sigh:: yes its true . . . got the reply email . . . we will have to take orgo 2 this semester if we want to be Vandy-ites. Or, more specifically, if they wants us to be Vandy-ites. :(

::sigh:: yes its true . . . got the reply email . . . we will have to take orgo 2 this semester if we want to be Vandy-ites. Or, more specifically, if they wants us to be Vandy-ites. :(
please excuse me while I go :bang: . So not excited to (maybe) have to take Orgo 2. I guess I just found the silver lining if I get the dreaded "thanks but no thanks" letter

please excuse me while I go :bang: . So not excited to (maybe) have to take Orgo 2. I guess I just found the silver lining if I get the dreaded "thanks but no thanks" letter

i know :annoyed: the worst part is i just submitted my app to them so it'll be '4 to 8 weeks' til i hear anything from them . . . classes start in about 5 weeks . . . so do i register or not??

i just hope i hear from them in under 5 weeks, be it good or bad. although the same prof i had from orgo 1 is teaching orgo 2 and he is pretty laid back, if i joined the class a week late he would probably be cool about it and let me make up the assignments. still though it would suck, the only section is offered at 8 am!!

Don't most schools require a full year of ochem?

many, many schools will let you substitute a semester of biochem. like, i'd say most of them. or at least most of the ones i thought i would be applying to, which are a little bit lower-tier. i just got overly excited about my mcat and added some 'reach' schools right away without doing my homework on them properly.

i didn't do it this way on purpose, i had actually taken biochem first and was planning to take both semesters of orgo . . . until i started reading the fine print on most med school criteria and saw that biochem substitution is OK at so many places. except not at Vanderbilt apparently. But also i kinda figured if any school wanted me to take it, i'd just do it in spring. but they want it this fall which will definitely make my schedule a lot harder.

many, many schools will let you substitute a semester of biochem. like, i'd say most of them. or at least most of the ones i thought i would be applying to, which are a little bit lower-tier. i just got overly excited about my mcat and added some 'reach' schools right away without doing my homework on them properly.

i didn't do it this way on purpose, i had actually taken biochem first and was planning to take both semesters of orgo . . . until i started reading the fine print on most med school criteria and saw that biochem substitution is OK at so many places. except not at Vanderbilt apparently. But also i kinda figured if any school wanted me to take it, i'd just do it in spring. but they want it this fall which will definitely make my schedule a lot harder.

I see. I had to take it for my major anyway, I guess that's why I didn't know.

i know :annoyed: the worst part is i just submitted my app to them so it'll be '4 to 8 weeks' til i hear anything from them . . . classes start in about 5 weeks . . . so do i register or not??

i just hope i hear from them in under 5 weeks, be it good or bad. although the same prof i had from orgo 1 is teaching orgo 2 and he is pretty laid back, if i joined the class a week late he would probably be cool about it and let me make up the assignments. still though it would suck, the only section is offered at 8 am!!

Awww poop. Well, for what it's worth, last year I was verified at the end of June (still early, but later than a lot of people), received the "we got your app" email in early July, and got the interview letter in the first batch. The 4 to 8 weeks thing becomes closer to 8 weeks as apps start piling up, but in my impression they're pretty quick with the early batch. Moral of the story: I'm pretty sure you'll find out in a week or two (or a little more, depending on how far you are from TN...I was in Cali and it took like a week for my mail to get there- that's why we have email, people!). Wooo!

I see. I had to take it for my major anyway, I guess that's why I didn't know.

i got my UG degree in art, i decided to pursue medicine after that and enrolled in grad school for biomedical science. i had to take most of my 'premed' classes in the evenings/summers to knock them out while also taking my grad school classes. so it ended up being really out of order- I actually took graduate biochem BEFORE i even took undergrad chem 2! and also before orgo 1.

i dont mind taking orgo 2 if vandy says they want me before the deadline! hope they don't mind community college though because my regular university doesn't offer classes in their 'off' semesters (no orgo 2 in fall semester.) plus i applied to Columbia too, so if by some miracle they show interest in me, I will probably have to take orgo 2 for their requirements as well.

My heart leaps whenever I see this thread get posts.

My heart leaps whenever I see this thread get posts.

Haha same here, but for some reason, I don't get as excited as I am supposed to get. I guess a letter from Vandy in my mailbox would do the trick.

Just got my interview invite! I thought it was going to be a rejection letter, so it was a REALLY nice surprise :D

crap! now I have to start fearing the mail man!
I ordered clothes online and they should be here soon too so next time my dad calls to say I have mail I'll be all sorts of freaked out even if it just ends up being my clothes

What about NY? :(

I figure at least a couple of days...

I figure, I am in Maryland so not getting it today. Its good in a way because I just finished the last secondary that I had gotten so I want no more for a few more days. Though I must I will be jumping with joy if I do get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.