2009 wreb exam takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just momani

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all upcoming dentists for the next year of the wreb ....
they haven't started the online registration yet , hope everyone prepared for patient selection and ready for PATP assessment also :)
please do post any notes or comments anyone would like to share or even any questions about the whole thing ....

I'll start
I'm looking for my patients now and studying a bit :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Oklahoma WREB results were mailed today. I guess I will find out in a couple of days.

good luck.

i am retaking endo at usc on june 5-8 and will have to go through the waiting again.:mad:
i cant stand looking at that 2.6 score. damn

I just got the mail and I passed. Yaaa!!

The final hurdle is completed.
Part 1 - passed
Part 2 - passed
WREB - passed
Requirements - complete

Now I am just counting the days until I am a free man again (22 to be exact) :)

I just got the mail and I passed. Yaaa!!

The final hurdle is completed.
Part 1 - passed
Part 2 - passed
WREB - passed
Requirements - complete

Now I am just counting the days until I am a free man again (22 to be exact) :)

congrats bud. must feel good.

Members don't see this ad :)
just got my schedule for the retake at USC on june 6th. glad to report that fro the $850 i get a chair for 4 hrs to do endo. they dont provide ANYTHING for endo.

oh well.

just got my schedule for the retake at USC on june 6th. glad to report that fro the $850 i get a chair for 4 hrs to do endo. they dont provide ANYTHING for endo.

oh well.

Hey man i kno its not much consolation, but endo is definitely not the worst thing to have to retake. no patients!! u can't even rent out handpieces and such?

Still waiting on San Antonio results. We took it the same time as OU and they've already received theirs. weird

Hey man i kno its not much consolation, but endo is definitely not the worst thing to have to retake. no patients!! u can't even rent out handpieces and such?

Still waiting on San Antonio results. We took it the same time as OU and they've already received theirs. weird

thank man. to tell you the truth i am really not that worried about endo. maybe i should be since thats how i felt the 1st time around and over confidence kicked my butt. haha

they do rent hand pieces if you need but thats it. no files, gutta percha, paper points, syringe, sodium hypo chlor, x ray, or anything. i am supposed to bring EVERYTHING i need. i am not surprised.

if you need to take some films on your pt they charge:

$12 for 1 PA
$24 for 4 BWX
$120 for FMX

hope nobody has to do that while there.

yay. passed it!!! probably going to order a score sheet b/c im neurotic like that. Been hearing about some not so good results coming in though....

yay. passed it!!! probably going to order a score sheet b/c im neurotic like that. Been hearing about some not so good results coming in though....

Congrats! Now, you can sit back and relax... for now :D I might order one too, just not sure what good thats gonna do for me.

congrats man.

i love our dental personalities. we are all so anal and i probably would order one too.:laugh:

I took the WREB at USC in Dec 2008 and I used Western Dental Consultants for both their course and for their patient referral service. By no means misunderstand...they are a good, but expensive, but definitely worth it service. You get out of it what you put into it. They are there to not reteach you dentistry, but to help you pass. They do most everything in their power to help you, but that's what it is...they help you help yourself. If that's what you need, then great. But anything other than that is expecting dental school and that is what they are not. I took the course once and the patients were there ON TIME and just what I was told and shown. One piece of advice that I finally figured out was this...Know that WREB book forwards and backwards. You should know what modifications are and when to ask for them. I had 9 modifications on one prep and was scared...but it did not matter. The graders saw that I had modifications approved BEFORE I proceded with the preps and caries removal. Remember I had not practiced since graduation in 2001. I did practice in my garage with a compressor I purchased from this site. Things went really well. I passed with a score of 80. I am not from California, so I new nothing about what the school facility was like. It went well and it was worth every penny. Do what you learned in school for endo techniques. Don't try new stuff out on the boards. Come prepared but confident. Think positive, but not cocky. Get a dental assistant who works at the school and is from the school where you are taking the boards. These are my recommendations. I am now licensed. Oh and by the way while you are waiting for your passing scores, get your stuff for licensing ready to go. That way you can have something to occupy your anxious mind while awaiting your scores. Good luck. I can tell you the computerized test is from clinic, so review your stuff...notes on removable pros and fixed pros were a necessity. Review as much as possible, but relax and be confident.

other than clear obvious caries or decalcification , how do you check for caries , is just using your expolarer and pushing all around your prep. enough ?
and after finding it , how do you remove it , just a round slow speed or escavtor following caries by digging a hole in that area ??
i mean modifications i think is the most confusing ?
plz post your input thanks wrebers

other than clear obvious caries or decalcification , how do you check for caries , is just using your expolarer and pushing all around your prep. enough ?
and after finding it , how do you remove it , just a round slow speed or escavtor following caries by digging a hole in that area ??
i mean modifications i think is the most confusing ?
plz post your input thanks wrebers

Brand new explorer will catch on everything you touch, so make sure you use it with "gentle" pressure. Seek & Sable is a good caries detection product by Dentsply. It stains denatured protein green. Once you find a carious spot, remove it with a spoon exacavator or a brand new round bur set at aprox. 1500 rpm. I use excavator to remove large chunks of caries and spot clean with a big round bur that fits the spot.

When you "dig a hole in that area" be careful not to leave undermined enamel or you loose points.

As far as mods, read the manual until you sink it in your brain. Remember, the WREB manual is your best source of reference.

And last but not least, DO NOT LEAVE DECAY! Keep scraping until you no longer see yellowish scrapings. You must remove infected and affected dentin. Clean dentin, when you scrape it with a sharp spoon excavator leaves WHITE scrapings.

thanks DDS2BE , that was really eye openner ....
lets say you've a cl3 on max. inc. and you finished your ideal prep. design ,but all your gingival floor ( after 0.5 clearance ) still decalcified , do you ask for external outline modification and you drop your ging. floor more ging.???
my question in other word , can we alter our external design to follow caries ?? or when we finish our ideal prep . we just stop using our high speed handpiece any more ??

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks DDS2BE , that was really eye openner ....
lets say you've a cl3 on max. inc. and you finished your ideal prep. design ,but all your gingival floor ( after 0.5 clearance ) still decalcified , do you ask for external outline modification and you drop your ging. floor more ging.???
my question in other word , can we alter our external design to follow caries ?? or when we finish our ideal prep . we just stop using our high speed handpiece any more ??

First, you do your ideal prep even if the walls are in caries or decalcification. Only then you ask for a mod. Then put you highspeed aside, take a round bur or whatever you use to remove caries and start removing the problem area only. Unless, you get undermined enamel, in which case you simply extend the external outline. In other words, you don't need to leave your floors and walls flat as your remove the problem area. Simply blend it it in with the rest of unaffected enamel/dentin. Just dont leave any sharp edges when you do that. In the case of the gingival floor of your class III prep, you may extend the whole wall if you think you need better access, or you can just remove the problem spot and leave the rest alone.

I am from san antonio and re-taking operative at LLU june 12.. I am using western dental consultants to find my patients and a little nervous about it.. i just looked at the x-rays of the patient they have for me and the lesions look pretty small but supposedly they never have any lesions rejected. Let me know what you think of their services. BTW retaking operative which totally shocked me because I got no pink slips, everything went great but apparently the examiners at san antonio were a little pissy for some reason.. we had 17 failures!!

laker's game on thu, retaking my endo on sat at USC, laker's game on sun. yep it should be a fun week.

good luck to everyone taking their boards this week.

Does anyone know if I can use the Columbia Endo dentoform (white) for LLU? The school info states you can purchase "Modu Pro Endo kit" from their store, but does not state whether you can use and buy Acadental model or Columbia model. I am in Fla. and the store does not ship out. I have called the school and have not been able to get through to anyone. Left messages. I am nervous since I had bought the white Columbia WREB model and don't know if it is compatible with LLU's lab set up. Help anyone!

if you do not pass does it come in a larger envelope with extra paperwork?

Do you know if I can use Columbia sectional dentoform at LLU for WREB? They are all white sectional sextants. I bought mine and I want to make sure it is compatible at the lab exam. I am from Fla. and the store at LLU does not ship. I need a response quick since my exam is next week June 12 at LLU. Help!

laker's game on thu, retaking my endo on sat at USC, laker's game on sun. yep it should be a fun week.

Yeah... Kick some @$$. You're done man!

On a sad note, Im still pissed at Cavs :smuggrin:

Do you know if I can use Columbia sectional dentoform at LLU for WREB? They are all white sectional sextants. I bought mine and I want to make sure it is compatible at the lab exam. I am from Fla. and the store at LLU does not ship. I need a response quick since my exam is next week June 12 at LLU. Help!

I don't know the answer to your question. If I were you, I would buy the other model just in case. Who knows what they accept at that school. I'd rather pay a couple of hundred for a new model than pay thousands to take the test again. You can order from Acadental.com and get it shipped to you as fast as next day if you want. Just be persistent. Keep calling them everyday until they respond. You need to give yourself enough time to mount the teeth in the proper model and take pre-op X-rays. Just keep calling.

I don't know the answer to your question. If I were you, I would buy the other model just in case. Who knows what they accept at that school. I'd rather pay a couple of hundred for a new model than pay thousands to take the test again. You can order from Acadental.com and get it shipped to you as fast as next day if you want. Just be persistent. Keep calling them everyday until they respond. You need to give yourself enough time to mount the teeth in the proper model and take pre-op X-rays. Just keep calling.

Thanks. I found out yesterday that it is compatible. LLU just happens to sell only the Acadental model. I was ready to set up the Acadental. It was a little nerve wrecking not getting a response.

finally all done with the retake. i think it went great but will have to wait and see. i had my #19 rejected for not having enough putty at the apices but i got a back up and it went well (i think).

i forgot to bring a bunsen burner and the school had NONE. i had to scramble and borrow and got er done. USC was very diff than i had imagined. the student were pretty disrespectful the whole time during orientation as well as the the exam. lots of talking and acting like high school.

now the waiting game begins/.

I finished WREBS today, and all went pretty good (I hope) except endo. My anterior was good, however my molar was a different story.

I was doing #18, and I accessed great and found both mesial and distal canals, and then I filled the distal. However, I tried to condense with a heated condenser due to a minor apical void and upon removal I took out half the gutta percha with about 10 minutes to go in the exam. So I had to turn it in like that.

My question for you is, how much do think they will grade me down if my gutta percha fill goes from 1 mm. short of the apex but only extending about 4-5 mm up toward the furcation. (It basically looks like I prepped for a small post). Would they just count that has a substantial void or what do you think? I guess I won't know for sure for 3 weeks to a month, but I just thought I'd ask.

My question for you is, how much do think they will grade me down if my gutta percha fill goes from 1 mm. short of the apex but only extending about 4-5 mm up toward the furcation. (It basically looks like I prepped for a small post). Would they just count that has a substantial void or what do you think? I guess I won't know for sure for 3 weeks to a month, but I just thought I'd ask.

The answer is clearly found in the Candidate Guide scoring matrix for endo. I'd give you the answer but I don't have the guide with me.

Geez, it's basketball season already. When is it ever not basketball season?

Congrats on finishing the retake. I hoped you passed.

Also, to all the anal folks thinking of paying for scores: don't. I'm anal too and had to know, but I found out the dean's office of your school get your scores. Just go ask them and it's free.

Geez, it's basketball season already. When is it ever not basketball season?

Congrats on finishing the retake. I hoped you passed.

Also, to all the anal folks thinking of paying for scores: don't. I'm anal too and had to know, but I found out the dean's office of your school get your scores. Just go ask them and it's free.

i didnt have to pay for my scores since i had to retake the endo. i wont care what exactly i got in the retake. hope it is 3+.

i hate waiting for results.

I'm from California my self but I have assisted in many other states for the WREB boards let me know if you will like me to assist you in Richmond in March

Hello, I am looking for a reliable, responsible and experienced dental assistant to assist me during WREB exam in December, which will be held at USC. Please let me know as soon as possible if anyone is interested.

I received my results. I passed. Many thanks to those who posted their experience here. It was helpful. Overall I think if you did your homework well, the exam should go through smoothly. My advise to those that have not taken it is to read the candidate guide really well. Read it over and over several times. If you are not clear about something, email them. They respond within 24 hours. You also have another chance to ask questions at the orientation. Make sure you know what they don't want you to do. The Floor Examiners at our school were helpful. I'll post more details at another time. Good luck everyone! I think the worst part for me was waiting!

I have some material. pm me your email address.

justsusan, is there anyway for me to obtain that material too?

Anyone else, I also received my WREB scores back and passed everything minus the Prosthodontics section....depressing. Does anyone have any suggestions, study material, practice questions, etc., just to give me a little direction as to what to study this time before I retake it? I am a little more nervous this time to retake it. Thanks!

Hey guys, new poster to the forums, but been reading since starting dental school in 2005...Just wanted to relay WREB experience taken last week at Loma Linda site.

1) Day 1. Did perio in the morning. Everything was going fine, finished in about an hour. Was surprised to be done so fast, so continued re-cleaning and smoothing. Some roughness on F of #21 and smoothing it with a gracie, when...slip...laceration created on the gingiva. It was superficial, just about 3mm, and not connected to the ginvial margin. I was sweating it by now and spent about an hour trying different stuff with the lacertion short of placing a suture. It never bled which was nice, but was noticable. I asked a FE about it and he was kind of indifferent. Turned in the pt, received no PO form, so hopefully it is ok.

Started operative class 2 right away. Pt accept fine, prep going fine. Asked for a mod to drop mesial pit due to affected dentin. Turn in prep for grading, and pt came out with pink slip for affected dentin on gingival floor. I think this is the point where I about peed my pants while passing out. I could barley walk back to my chair. The FE saw my condition and immediately re-assured me that I DID not fail. He told me to look and see the slight area of affected dentin, take it out, and get him. I was pretty disoriented at this point, took a hand instrument to it for about 2 sec and called him over because I couldn't see it. He sat down and checked it before I could tell him "I don't see any affected dentin" and was rubbing the explorer in the box and told me "See doesn't that feel so much different/better now?" Obviously, I was confused/stressed/frustrated at this point, but what can you do? I gathered myself together, and finished the fill, and it turned out real nice. No slips from that portion. I didn't have the prescence of mind to ask the FE if the affected dentin was validated or not, so we'll see. I asked him while my finish was being graded but he couldn't remember.

2) Day 2. Had endo in the morning. All I can say here is mind your time! If your site is using conventional film I would strongly suggest looking into self-developing film. I didn't read about until after the exam, but it looks like it would save a ton of time, while not having to short change your xray taking. Anterior was nice, posterior was ok. I had a blockage in the lingual canal I chose to treat and just forced a file through it. I was scared that I perffed or fractured a root but I didn't, thank God. I did have some gutta percha that fell into the buccal canal of the PM, and I completely forgot that choloroform would've taken it out. The FE told me it doesn't really matter what goes down that canal as long as the pulp floor was clean...Oh bring a hair dryer if you are processing films by hand. It will save you big time on drying your final films as your time is dwindling down.

Started my posterior composite class 2 right after endo. Pt bleeding all over the place (seriously do people floss ever?) Prep was going well. I got a little psyched out due to the pink slip for affected dentin from the day before. There was affected dentin at about 1.4mm into the axial on this prep and I should of asked for a modification at this point, but I played around with it, and the next thing I knew, I was at about 1.7-1.8mm axial wall depth. So I made the opposite error of the day before and over-extended. We'll see how deep is too deep I guess. No pink slips on the prep, and the finish turned out very nicely. Make sure you have no LATERAL excursives showing up on your fill. Couple people around me didn't check close enough and got pink slips for it. Finished with a clinc 1/2 day and couple hours to spare!

3) Overall: WREBs was a very stressful experience. I would recommend you take a very-short term memory into it. I probably messed myself up on day 2 becuase I was so concerned about my perio laceration and pink slip from the day before. The FE's were ok. They weren't as nice as my classmates who took WREBs earlier claimed them to be, but they weren't jerks either. It seemed like there were a lot of patient rejections. But I was impressed with the candidates at Loma Linda. People with back-ups were more than willing to help, and I think everyone ended up fine. Schedule yourself strictly and try to abide by these time limits. It will help with your stress and avoid late penalties.

A final question on WREB scoring...
5 = 100%
3 = 75%

What do 4, 2, and 1 get you?

dear friends,

i finally got my results today and i PASSED. thank god i am all done with boards.

good luck to everyone else still waiting.

I took the WREB on April 23-26 in Louisville. It was the most stressful, scary, and exciting time of my whole life. :barf:

***Endo- I had my central rejected due to a fractured crown. WTF? I handed that thing in one piece and it came back in 5 pieces. I handled that tooth 1 million times before that with no problems. I think they broke it. So I had to use a backup. My backup sucked, so I used a friend's that was slightly better. It was a lower incisor. It had a fat canal facial/lingually and the canal contricted to barely anything in the apical 2-3mm. I had nothing better to use. I trusted him on the WL he gave me.

Took me 40 min to set up b/c my stuff was unorganized. Lost 10 mins at the start. My post. tooth was #5. Access was stressful b/c the lingual pulp horn was way lower than the buccal. Took forever. I obturated fine. When I was cleaning out the chamber with a spoon excavator, I pulled the GP all the way out of the canal. I almost fainted. I took a file and pulled out the rest. I reobturated.

I only had 1.5 hr to go to do the anterior at this point. I had never done a lower incisor so I was freaked out. My access sucked b/c I was afraid to perf (that thing was tiny!). I used the WL my friend told me. I had no time to verify with X rays b/c time was running out. I filed quickly. I obturated. When I saw the final film, I wanted to die. 3-4mm short of the apex! I had a feeling I was done for. No time to fix it b/c the 4 hrs had passed.

Tips: Buy self developing film from Patterson, saves time. Do a central incisor and max 1st premolar so you can work on them at the same time with the rubber dam. Have plenty of backups, good ones. They need to be as good as your primaries. Buy extra sextants if you need to. Watch the clock and pace yourself.

***Perio- easy. Ran the cavitron on my chosen quad like 8 times. Hand scaled the rough spots.

***Operative- scary. No back ups and there was shadowing beyond DEJ for both in films.

DO alloy #4- Needed 3 mods. My box was like 2mm wide, maybe more. Alloy set up too fast when I was filling and it looked terrible. It fractured on the marginal ridge when checking occlusion. I drilled it out and placed it again. No pink slips.

ML resin #8- Needed 3 mods. Affected dentin kept showing up on axial wall of prep. Almost pulped tooth. It was pink. I suspected there might still be decay. But I was too freaked out at this point to poke with the explorer b/c it would start bleeding. Wrote out good explanation to examiners to be careful and that I thought there was still decay. Came back from the check with no pink slip. Placed Vitrabond, filled it, and came back with no pink slip.

***Tx plan test – Didn't study. Easy. Got a pedo case.

***Prosth and perio computer – Didn't study b/c I figured I should know this stuff. My school prepared me well. Thought it was easy.

2 weeks later got the letter. Failed endo. :eek: But I knew I had screwed it up. Score was 2.88!!! Just 0.12 more. Operative was 3.3. Tx planning was 4.45. Perio clinical was 95%. Perio computer was 89.6%. Prosth computer was 95%.

Retook endo June 5-8 at USC in LA, Cali. This time I came prepared. I had 3 sets of teeth. 3 #8s and 3 #12s. No rejections. Gave 2 of the back ups to my friend who took it with me. I'm glad I could help him out b/c he ended up needing them. It took me the entire 4 hrs to do it. I accessed, shaped, and obturated both teeth at the same time. That way, I didn't have to fiddle with the dam a million times extra. USC had plenty of X ray machines and developers. I saw in my final films that I had no major errors, just puffs of sealer beyond both apices. Fill was 1 – 1.5 mm from apex. I literally just missed the time penalty. I turned in my teeth like 30 sec after the 4 hr mark. I know I should not have obsessed so much with my access and shaping, but I knew I had to do it perfectly. I could not afford to fail again. The 4 hrs felt like 1 hr. I wanted to faint when it was over. :scared: I had a good feeling coming out of it the 2nd time around.

I got my results today and I PASSED! :soexcited: It was the longest two weeks of waiting ever! Now I can finally start working as a dentist. Good luck to the rest of you! And if you failed, pick your head up and try again. I'm glad I did.

Last edited:
i am new to this forum .......got my results yesterday and i failed the perio clinical part ......i am so stressed out.....i dont know why i failed ??any suggestions???

Last three weeks were the most stressful of my entire life.
Finally it is over .................
Got my results back..........
I PASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSED

Hello, I am looking for a reliable, responsible and experienced dental assistant to assist me during WREB exam in December, which will be held at USC. Please let me know as soon as possible if anyone is interested.

Hi if you can send an e-mail to me at [email protected] I will be happy to help you, I have over 22 years of experience in the WREB, Cal, Adex etc

hello all
I took my wreb at lomalinda , it was one of my exciting experiences ever ,i really enjoyed it alot and benefit from it and really elevated my diagnostic skills and knowledge . that was due :
1.about 2 months of patients screening, so I chose my patients and I advise everyone to do so " depend but on yourself "
2.evaluating your x-rays and patient records and data with someone with experience " a person who passed wreb recently is just enough "
3.reading the candidate book very well and clear all your points , picture yourself trough the exam step be step
4.look for an assistant with wreb experience
5.don't ever panic " believe in your self "
6.practice your own technique in endo. covering the candidate book requirment
7.in the exam , just do what you are trained to do
8.keep yourself updated by reading posts on such a forum,you can ask your question or send private msg. most people are very cooperative , enjoy the experience thanks for all sdn friends :)
as for the exam site , lomalinda maybe the best exam site ever and the floor examinars were just friendly enough

hello all
I took my wreb at lomalinda , it was one of my exciting experiences ever ,i really enjoyed it alot and benefit from it and really elevated my diagnostic skills and knowledge . that was due :
1.about 2 months of patients screening, so I chose my patients and I advise everyone to do so " depend but on yourself "
2.evaluating your x-rays and patient records and data with someone with experience " a person who passed wreb recently is just enough "
3.reading the candidate book very well and clear all your points , picture yourself trough the exam step be step
4.look for an assistant with wreb experience
5.don't ever panic " believe in your self "
6.practice your own technique in endo. covering the candidate book requirment
7.in the exam , just do what you are trained to do
8.keep yourself updated by reading posts on such a forum,you can ask your question or send private msg. most people are very cooperative , enjoy the experience thanks for all sdn friends :)
as for the exam site , lomalinda maybe the best exam site ever and the floor examinars were just friendly enough

I agree :thumbup:

I forgot to mention something
I passed the WREB :)
THANKS FOR ALL SDN EXAM TAKERS
THANKS FOR YOU KRISTEEN . MOJDAH , DR.ANA , DR.DUGGAN , SOHER and my wonderful patients and my assistant beverly :) thank you all guys

Do u go to UNLV or another school? I was wondering if you knew anyone I can talk to about getting patients.. I am from Boston and I think I might have to use one of those patient finding services since the exam is all the way in Vegas...

I will be happy to help you, if I can't do it I will fine some one for you with lots of experience, send an e-mail to me at [email protected]

Do u go to UNLV or another school? I was wondering if you knew anyone I can talk to about getting patients.. I am from Boston and I think I might have to use one of those patient finding services since the exam is all the way in Vegas...

Yes I go to UNLV, I have done all the board exams in that school, if I'm book I will be happy to help you fine an experience dental Asst. with the WREB who can go to UNLV, send an e-mail to me and I will give you more information about the school at [email protected] I may know some one who fine patients there,,

hi ,

i am taking wreb in vegas in august ...

do you need an experience dental asst. for the exam, if you do send an e-mail to me at [email protected] I wil be happy to help you fine one, I don't charge for the help, I know alot of experience dental asst for the WREB, I have been assisting in the boards for over 20 years, I know who is experience

good luck in the exam
icon10.gif

I just got my results, and I failed the endo by .10 points (2.90) due to undiagnostic xrays. The procedures were 3.00 each, but the deduction brought it to 2.90. I was bummed since I spent the last 15 minutes looking at the access and cleaning up gutta percha, instead of retaking the dark xrays. I did not like the LLU xrays at the lab. Was not used to it. Additionally, I was surprised I also failed prostho. I thought it was easy. The bad part is that the next exam is not until Nov. 3 at USC in LA. I wanted to get this over with next month or so. At least, I passed all the other clinical parts. I have my back up teeth still mounted and I am thinking of using them for the Nov exam. I have them wrapped up in a moist gauze in an air tight container. I will practice xrays a couple of days before exam at USC site to get acquainted with their system. Live and learn. Any other tips, please help.