2010-2011 Emory Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is still wondering about the "complete" status... it's been roughly 10 days since I submitted, but I talked with an adcom person and was assured that they are taking the full two weeks to certify secondary apps. By the way, the woman to whom I spoke was absolutely fantastic — very friendly and helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I think my picture was much larger than 2x2. I misinterpreted the directions and though that 2x2 referred to its proportions. I have already submitted my secondary, should I shoot them an email?

I think my picture was much larger than 2x2. I misinterpreted the directions and though that 2x2 referred to its proportions. I have already submitted my secondary, should I shoot them an email?

I read this and imagined them printing out your application and just getting one+ papers with just your face on it. lol

Members don't see this ad :)

How big is the file? Mine was about 300 KB...and I gave them a call after seeing the 2x2 requirement. Turns out it was still fine. So unless you're a lot bigger than that, I don't think you need to worry.

I agree with the poster above you, the woman on the phone was SO friendly! :thumbup: :)

got the complete email today!

Congrats. For those wondering, I called up the office of admissions today and they said it takes two to three weeks to process the applications.

I guess I thought i sent my primary earlier than I did. But they said to call back if I didnt get an email by the 3rd week.

Submitted 7/29
Complete 8/3

Interesting. I submitted 7/27, got no email and it also doesn't say complete on my status page. Anyone else in the same boat?

And all my letters and such are in.

is anybody else in the situation where their status said complete almost immediately after submission but haven't received a complete email yet? not sure what that means, is it complete or not lol. submitted 7/22

is anybody else in the situation where their status said complete almost immediately after submission but haven't received a complete email yet? not sure what that means, is it complete or not lol. submitted 7/22

i was in that situation for about a week, until this morning when I got the email. I dont think you are technically complete till you get the email, even if it says complete on your status page.

i was in that situation for about a week, until this morning when I got the email. I dont think you are technically complete till you get the email, even if it says complete on your status page.

Thanks, i actually ended up getting a complete email an hour or so later! really hoping for an interview- emory is my top choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, i actually ended up getting a complete email an hour or so later! really hoping for an interview- emory is my top choice!

Me too with the top choice part, but I am still envious of this complete email. Out of curiousity, did any of the people who submitted after me (after 7/27) and who are now complete just have the three required letters? I'm wondering if because I sent 5 that's making it take longer or something.

I sent 5 too. Maybe mine was faster because I had a fee waiver?

got a complete email yesterday as well, hoping for the best!

ahh so lame. the site is down til tomorrow afternoon. i was so ready to get one of my last secondaries submitted and over with. xD haha i know, way impatient.

FYI... Site goes down at 6pm. You still have 2 hours!

Do you think 130 words is approximately ~100? Sighs... Emory=:love: and I am having difficulty expressing my interest in so few words!

Anyone know if there is some online brochure that we can look through to answer the "why emory" question?

For the health-related/research experience question, did you guys have other experiences besides what you put in your work/activities list in your AMCAS application? Since they are only allowing us a hundred words is there any room to put any new information that isn't already in your application?

thanks.

For the health-related/research experience question, did you guys have other experiences besides what you put in your work/activities list in your AMCAS application? Since they are only allowing us a hundred words is there any room to put any new information that isn't already in your application?

thanks.

I put everything fitting that category on AMCAS. So, I talked about the most important one to me. I think they are trying to identify talking points for an interview more than anything. If you had something new and interesting to add that'd be fine, but because they don't say anything about not repeating AMCAS it also would be fine to talk about AMCAS activities. Especially if you're listing all of them.

How long should I wait before contacting the admissions office regarding why my app doesn't say complete yet? It has been over 2 weeks.

I'm sure it's ok as everything is in and received, but I was wondering if anyone else was past the 2 weeks without hearing anything or having the status page update.

How long should I wait before contacting the admissions office regarding why my app doesn't say complete yet? It has been over 2 weeks.

I'm sure it's ok as everything is in and received, but I was wondering if anyone else was past the 2 weeks without hearing anything or having the status page update.
Also two weeks here (submitted 7/28), so no worry!

Mine was submitted 7/29
Still waiting for complete.

i submitted 7/28 and was still not complete. i just got off the phone with admissions, she confirmed that i am technically "complete" even though my status does not reflect this, and told me to expect the status to change and to expect a complete email later today or tomorrow. so i guess they are just taking a while to update the statuses. the woman was really nice though if you want to call.

Anyone know if there is some online brochure that we can look through to answer the "why emory" question?

Google '12 reasons why Emory' thats for the undergrad at least but itll give you some idea of what emory is about.
Their undergrad application essay asked "aside from weather, reputation, location, ties, or school colors, etc., why do you want to attend Emory University."
now that one sucked

For anyone who was getting anxious like me, submitted 7/27, complete email today. Thanks for keeping me from emailing for no reason everyone! Haha. :D

LOL. This 2ndary has been sitting around for like 2-3 weeks for me now? I still haven't even touched it. Yikes.

Hey guys,

For the healthcare activities prompt--for the most part, did you guys list all the activities, research, volunteering, etc, or did you focus on one?
I'm having a bit of trouble because I volunteer at a clinic, and I also do research, but I can talk about the clinic experience a lot, but I don't have enough space to talk about the other activities otherwise.

Also, did you focus on the activities that you did, or what you gained/impact it had on you?

Thanks in advance!

koolkat

koolkat, I only mentioned one activity, since it was my major one and and mainly just focused on the activities. What I gained was mentioned in my PS.

I know this is an absurd question, but for the photo, at what resolution should it be 2x2? If copied to a document mine is almost 4x4 but when printed it's the proper size.

Hey guys,

For the healthcare activities prompt--for the most part, did you guys list all the activities, research, volunteering, etc, or did you focus on one?
I'm having a bit of trouble because I volunteer at a clinic, and I also do research, but I can talk about the clinic experience a lot, but I don't have enough space to talk about the other activities otherwise.

Also, did you focus on the activities that you did, or what you gained/impact it had on you?

Thanks in advance!

koolkat

I just touched on all of my clinically related experiences.

Does anyone know what we're supposed to write for "How do you know this letter writer" if I have a committee letter?

I just wrote that they were my premed advisor from my undergrad institution.

Can anyone tell me what the essay prompts r. Thanks
1. If it was not included on your AMCAS application, please list your entire curriculum plan for the 2010-2011 academic year. (If you are not currently in school, you may leave this question blank.)
2. Briefly describe (in 100 words or less) what you are doing if you are no longer a fulltime student.
3. Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) any health-related experience and/or research experience (volunteer or employed). Also, indicate the time and frequency of your involvement. Note: If you have had experience in several health-related areas, list each with a very brief description. Or, you may choose the most meaningful experience and describe it in more detail.
4. Briefly describe (in approximately 100 words) your interest in Emory.

How many people chose to list activities and how many here decided to talk about their most significant one?

Why?

I'm having a hard time deciding if I'd rather do one or the other...

How many people chose to list activities and how many here decided to talk about their most significant one?

Why?

I talked about all. I think the most meaningful is for if you have a REALLY meaningful one that you'd rather focus on, or if you have so many you can't really list them all.

Why?

If you have one that stands out, talk about it, that's why I did. I figured they'll see the other activities on my AMCAS anyway, so I'd rather give them some new information. If all of your activities are similar or short lived, a list might be more appropriate.

Hey Guys,
Current Emory M1 here -- some things I've seen on the thread that maybe I can help with.

Secondary word count is flexible (i.e. past 100 words) but I wouldn't rabble endlessly at the expense of content. I think mine ended up around 125-130. Be sincere and keep it concise. Interviews start in October and run until February/March, with invitations coming out now until February. Admission staff here is EXTREMELY helpful. Don't hesitate to call them w/ questions or concerns.

Campus is in Druid Hills, about 10-15 minutes from downtown. Not an urban atmosphere, but not quite suburbs either. Grady Memorial is the primary teaching facility, and it IS downtown. There is a free shuttle that runs every hour between the medical school and Grady; takes about 20 minutes. However you won't be going there very often until rotations begin.

Emory is expensive, yes. Most private schools are. Loans can be taken out to cover tuition and living expenses. Federal Subsidized loans don't accrue interest while you're enrolled. As for apartments around here, depending on whether you live alone or w/ roommates, you can expect to pay anywhere from $400-800 -- and this is also variable w/ location and proximity to campus.

Keep plugging away. You'll be fine.

it's true! invited today!

submitted: 7/16
complete: 7/21
if you don't mind, can you share your mcat, gpas, in state or out of state... try to figure out what kind people they send out invite.

much appreciated!

if you don't mind, can you share your mcat, gpas, in state or out of state... try to figure out what kind people they send out invite.

much appreciated!

I think regular people... if you are the regular kind, I think you have a good shot. :D

much appreciated!

Invited today! OOS. Stats on MDapps. They sent me the date for my interview but it's not super convenient for me bc I have an interview the day before in NY. Do you think if I called I would be able to get another date?

is any one invited from in state?

Invited today! OOS. Stats on MDapps. They sent me the date for my interview but it's not super convenient for me bc I have an interview the day before in NY. Do you think if I called I would be able to get another date?

Wondering the same thing, anyone tried to reschedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.