2010-2011 Psychology PhD/Psy.D. Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Eh..doing pretty good. All GRE stuff done and sent, got 3 LOR folders out to my letter writers, personal statement done, most of the application paperwork for my 9 schools is done. just need to finish up a few pieces of paperwork and get transcripts sent out. just feeling hesitant about my 4th letter writer and my practicum...things aren't going as well as they could be. it is getting too late in the game to get a new site, but now i am not so sure if i should count on my site supervisor as a letter writer. stress! other than that, things are on track!

I feel so behind! My SOP is no where near done. I know I need to get it done ASAP, but I feel like slamming my face into my desk every time I attempt to get it where it needs to be.
However, most of my transcripts are sent out (that was expensive), Psych GRE and a good chunk of the paper work is also done.

Members don't see this ad.

I've started the grad school app portion at 5 of the schools on my list. Three of those required my essays as well at that time. So, I'm working on more essays before starting the next round of apps. I got my letter packs together for recommenders and will have those dropped off this week.

Half of the schools on my list have a 12/1 deadline, and my goal is to just be completely done by then with the whole list. We'll see. :xf:

I started the application for 6 schools. I might add 1 or 2 more. These schools all seem to have a good fit and good research match for me but I feel uneasy about only applying to six...

I take the GRE tomorrow so if I bomb it, everything changes though.
I love how my entire future is contingent on one standardized test :)
Yay society!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone... first of all just want to say that this site has been an invaluable read since I decided to apply to PhD programs...

Long story short:
Applying to neuropsych PhD programs/clin programs w/ neuropsych opps:

Long Island University
CUNY
Rutgers
UCLA
UCSD
Loyola University
University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
Washington University
Drexel University
University of Connecticut
Fordham University
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Argosy University*
Chicago School of Professional Psychology*
Illinois School of Professional Psychology*

psych GRE: ~650? Have to check, took it about 4 years ago.
GRE: taking Nov 6, practice tests put my score ~1300
Good LOR, 2 from Columbia profs, 1 from current lab, all PhDs
GPA undergrad: 3.4, grad: 3.8

Tons of research/clinical experience since 2005, presented at conference, mentioned in paper (for neurosci conf), trained in giving neuropsych assessments, blah blah blah.

I talked to my advisor at Columbia to ask her for a rec the other day, and she told me that all my schools were reaches (!) and told me that I needed some safety schools (!)... I've been freaking out about it since she told me all this. The * on the list above denotes what I am guessing to be safeties...?

What safety schools exist for a doctorate in neuropsych? Advisor studies altruism so she had no idea.

Ideally I want to a) get into a strong neuropsych program b) stay in NYC c) not pay out the ass because I have loans from undergrad and my MA program.

My advisor also told me that I really had to push the fact that I was a minority (Cuban & Mexican) on my personal statement because that's what most schools were looking for. I felt kind of weird about this at first but now I'm thinking, what the hell, I should try everything I can do to get in, right? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I'd love to get into CUNY... I saw the thread on here but not much posted about people's experience in the admission process...

Anyway, any help/advice is MUCH APPRECIATED! Good luck to everyone with their application process--I'm totally behind and I thought my excuse was that I work FT but reading about everyone else's experiences has been quite humbling. Thank you :eek:

Nicole

I've been a little concerned with my SOP lately. I have one written out, targeted at my top choice school. I'm a little apprehensive about how much more work I'll need to do to tailor it toward my other programs, most of which have similar research interests.

From the Insider's Guide I've kind of gathered that a lot of programs don't like it if you only mention their school in the closing paragraphs, but from Asher's I've gotten the impression that its also pretty standard. Since the SOP is mostly to talk about 'me' it at least seems logical to discuss how I mesh with their program in closing. So a few things I'm wondering about are:

1) Is it a better approach to slash and burn my SOP for each program or just slightly tailor it to the researchers in question.

2) How in depth should I discuss literature relevant to what my POIs are working on? Should I propose how I plan to add to their body of research, or even a hypothesis? Or is that too forward and am I better off discussing my merits as a researcher/scientist in general?

3) I do need some critiquing on my SOP, but I'm a little apprehensive asking my letter writers since they're already writing letters for me, after all. I know its probably best to ask them, but are there any other resources I might be able to use for editing my SOP?

Thank you,

(also, trickynicky, if you're looking at Pennsylvania and the Mid-west you'll want to consider Wayne State and Pennslylvania State for Neuropsychology. They're top-tier programs, but as I understand it all PhD programs are competitive and there are few options that you can really call 'safeties'. Professional schools are probably going to cost you a lot if money is an issue, as I understand very few of them offer funding.)

Finally took the GRE, did okay (see other post). Hope I don't have to retake, I'm poor!

I've been a little concerned with my SOP lately.

From the Insider's Guide I've kind of gathered that a lot of programs don't like it if you only mention their school in the closing paragraphs, but from Asher's I've gotten the impression that its also pretty standard.
3) I do need some critiquing on my SOP, but I'm a little apprehensive asking my letter writers since they're already writing letters for me, after all. I know its probably best to ask them, but are there any other resources I might be able to use for editing my SOP?

QUOTE]

It sounds like we have different interests, therefore different schools and POI's, if you are interested in biopsych. If you want PM me and maybe we can help each other.

Having said that, I am not an expert at all regarding this. I've been putting school specific info towards the end of the statement as well, it just fits chronologically there.

(also, trickynicky, if you're looking at Pennsylvania and the Mid-west you'll want to consider Wayne State and Pennslylvania State for Neuropsychology. They're top-tier programs, but as I understand it all PhD programs are competitive and there are few options that you can really call 'safeties'. Professional schools are probably going to cost you a lot if money is an issue, as I understand very few of them offer funding.)

Thanks for the info! I'll check out the schools. And yeah, it seems that if the school is good enough, it's definitively not a safety, but they pay--and vice versa for the "not as competitive schools"... so it goes.

How about if you plan on taking the psych GRE now in November, but won't apply for schools until next fall (2011, to start in 2012)? I want to save all the money I can since I'm planning to apply to about 20 schools, but I understand if the schools won't save GRE scores for more than a year, waiting for my application. Does anyone know how that works?

It'll get sent. They should save it even if it's the first thing to get there.

Last edited:
According to the Insider's Guide it increases your liklihood for a match if you can name a couple POIs at a school that match your research interests. I still wouldn't state disparate things with no explanation as to why or how.

According to the Insider's Guide it increases your liklihood for a match if you can name a couple POIs at a school that match your research interests. I still wouldn't state disparate things with no explanation as to why or how.
Yep. +1.

So I've just started contacting POIs. I know it's somewhat late, but I thought it is better than not contacting them at all. While I was emailing them, I found myself being interested in two different POIs in one school with different research interests. Can I still email them both separately and see if they are willing to accept students? Also, in the applications, it's sometimes asking me to select one POI and I have hard time doing so. It's affecting me as well when I'm writing my SOPs. Should I choose one research interest over another before I start the application process or find a way to integrate the two? I don't know at this point what's more beneficial in terms of increasing the chance of admission. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks a lot!!!

I am very interested to hear what people have to say about your question about SOPs. I know it can be beneficial to mention 2 people (as people below remarked) but I am having a hard time beginning my SOP in general (not just people I want to work with) where it happens I have 2 with different interests.

I'd also be interested to hear about emailing the POIs... I'm thinking no if the interests are different? (Unless you email one first, hear back, they said they are not taking students, and then email the other one?)

I am very interested to hear what people have to say about your question about SOPs. I know it can be beneficial to mention 2 people (as people below remarked) but I am having a hard time beginning my SOP in general (not just people I want to work with) where it happens I have 2 with different interests.

I'd also be interested to hear about emailing the POIs... I'm thinking no if the interests are different? (Unless you email one first, hear back, they said they are not taking students, and then email the other one?)

I am no expert so keep that in mind.

I have 2 POIs in every SOP except 2 schools (that's out of 22 schools). However, in every case there is a clear research match with both individuals. There may be a twist in that match but it still exists. I would not think it wise to write an SOP with two different POIs that have two divergent research lines. I think this will only make you look unfocused... that being said my own research interest, while specific, is not "super" specific. What I mean is I have a few clusters within one larger construct that are my main interest, however I am not focusing on the minutia (not at this point) within these constructs. I figure that will come later in the process of the PhD.

Additionally, I do craft my SOP toward the POIs research line so as to make the fit look tighter than it may truly be. I guess I'm a little bit of a liar. :smuggrin:

I have emailed zero POIs. I just don't see a lot of evidence on these boards or from other sources that it makes that much difference, unless you are trying to find out if they are taking students this cycle. I figure if you have the GRE cut off, the GPA cut off, and everything else is in order you will/should at least get a decent look from the committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have emailed zero POIs. I just don't see a lot of evidence on these boards or from other sources that it makes that much difference, unless you are trying to find out if they are taking students this cycle. I figure if you have the GRE cut off, the GPA cut off, and everything else is in order you will/should at least get a decent look from the committee.

Wait till you get numerous rejections due to things beyond your control (POIs lacking funds, moving schools, taking sabbatical, etc.). A brief email at the front end of the application cycle can save you a great deal of wasted money and frustration.

Wait till you get numerous rejections due to things beyond your control (POIs lacking funds, moving schools, taking sabbatical, etc.). A brief email at the front end of the application cycle can save you a great deal of wasted money and frustration.

Ditto -- it is totally worth it to contact your POIs ahead of time. I got kicked out of the running for 3 schools I applied to last year because the people I applied to work with weren't taking new students. I could have saved myself a good bit of time, effort, and money if I'd known before I applied.

+1! Several of the POIs I e-mail have also updated me on their current line of research. This helps when writing SOPs.

Several graduate application ask me to list multiple professors of interest or labs of interest. If I'm only super interested in one person/lab would it help to list additional people that I'm only slightly interested in?

It makes sense that it would help my chances if I list more people but I don't want to seem unfocused...

It would all be in the same area (cognitive neuroscience) but still different labs. (like morality neuroscience and emotion and memory for example)

Thanks for any feedback!

Only considering a few schools this year...

Concordia
Ryerson
York U
Calgary

Lower on my list is:
Vanderbilt U.
UBC
Queens

Not UWaterloo/UWO as I've been rejected twice/people I like are not taking students.

Hi there -

I am applying to Ph.D. programs this year and I am currently working on my SOP. I have so much research and clinical experience though, that my current SOP is really long and wordy in order to go through all of it. For those of us with more research/clinical experience, is it OK to focus on a few? I don't want to just list them, but when you add into that what your goals are, why you want to go to school X and why you want to work with Prof. Y, it gets too long. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there -

I am applying to Ph.D. programs this year and I am currently working on my SOP. I have so much research and clinical experience though, that my current SOP is really long and wordy in order to go through all of it. For those of us with more research/clinical experience, is it OK to focus on a few? I don't want to just list them, but when you add into that what your goals are, why you want to go to school X and why you want to work with Prof. Y, it gets too long. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advance!

I had the same problem. I only focused on the research that directly related to the research I wanted to pursue at school X. I figure they can see my CV for all the research I did. :)

Several graduate application ask me to list multiple professors of interest or labs of interest. If I'm only super interested in one person/lab would it help to list additional people that I'm only slightly interested in?

It makes sense that it would help my chances if I list more people but I don't want to seem unfocused...

It would all be in the same area (cognitive neuroscience) but still different labs. (like morality neuroscience and emotion and memory for example)

Thanks for any feedback!

I don't see any major issue with this. Wouldn't worry about appearing scattered as your interests are clearly related. However, you should remain mindful of just how "slightly interested" you want to go. lol. Just to make sure you are not selling yourself short to get through the door.

Good luck!

I have a dilemma... I mean it's probably too late to do anything about it now but I just want your thoughts about it. One of my letters is from a lab I've been volunteering with for more than two years, and I've put down a lot of time and effort to the research conducted in the lab. However, I've never met the PI for the lab (I know, crazy after two years!), he lets his grad-students run it all. I feel like that is one of my strongest letters, I know the grad-students really like me and appreciate what I do for the lab, and I know the PI is going to cosign the letter, but I'm still not sure if it's going to be viewed negatively when applying? The lab is related to what I'm interested to study in grad-school too so I really hope it's not going to be a problem that it's written by grad-students. I'm applying to very competitive, research oriented clinical psych programs (such as UCLA, UCB, USC, Boston University, Yale etc.) My other letters are from Psych PhDs only. One very well-known researcher in a related area to what I'm interested in, and another professor researching something different (forensic psych) but who I've been involved with in both research and taken classes from.

So, what do you guys think? Is it ok to have one letter coming from a grad-student, co-signed by a PhD?

I have a dilemma... I mean it's probably too late to do anything about it now but I just want your thoughts about it. One of my letters is from a lab I've been volunteering with for more than two years, and I've put down a lot of time and effort to the research conducted in the lab. However, I've never met the PI for the lab (I know, crazy after two years!), he lets his grad-students run it all. I feel like that is one of my strongest letters, I know the grad-students really like me and appreciate what I do for the lab, and I know the PI is going to cosign the letter, but I'm still not sure if it's going to be viewed negatively when applying? The lab is related to what I'm interested to study in grad-school too so I really hope it's not going to be a problem that it's written by grad-students. I'm applying to very competitive, research oriented clinical psych programs (such as UCLA, UCB, USC, Boston University, Yale etc.) My other letters are from Psych PhDs only. One very well-known researcher in a related area to what I'm interested in, and another professor researching something different (forensic psych) but who I've been involved with in both research and taken classes from.

So, what do you guys think? Is it ok to have one letter coming from a grad-student, co-signed by a PhD?

Sure, it would be best if the letter could come from the PI instead of the grad student, but then again, what can do about that really? You could ask the PI if he/she would be comfortable having the grad student draft the letter but have just the PI's name on the signature line -- depending on their personality and style of doing things, the PI may or may not be willing to do it that way. Failing that, I think you just go with what you got, really emphasizing how much time and involvement you've had in that lab. If it comes up at interviews, I think you just explain it as best you can. My bet is that if your other Phd reccs are very strong this one letter will not take you out of the running (although it may slightly reduce your competitiveness at some programs).

This is just one opinion. There are lots of other people on SDN that may be able to give you additional advice and perspectives about this. Good luck.

^ I agree... if you can get it co-signed. I'm guessing the actual PI is a bit older.

I work in a lab of similar situation. I work with post-docs and I have really made strong collaborations with them, yet I see the PI for like very little time - only when he passes by and I happen to be there to update him on two studies I am working on. He's a lot older (must be at least 65+) but I so admire him b/c he just keeps plugging away at applications for funding in order for the lab to continue running.

--

BTW - Anyone applying to Canadian programs, feel free to PM me. I've been applying for 2 years now.

Thanks for any feedback!

I would just be a little careful how you express this in your application. While of course it is great to show that you would fit well into various areas/labs in the department, you don't want to overconvince them that the other labs would be a great match for you if you don't have as much interest in them. When I applied, one school required we list 3 POIs, so I listed 3 even though I was truly only interested in one. When I got to the interview, they had me paired with one of the other 2 I had listed. It became clear to both of us during the interview that that wouldn't be a good match, and that school ultimately got crossed off my list. Convey your enthusiasm that there is a lot of interesting work relevant to your interests going on across labs, but if you really want to work in one of them, try to highlight that.

I would just be a little careful how you express this in your application. While of course it is great to show that you would fit well into various areas/labs in the department, you don't want to overconvince them that the other labs would be a great match for you if you don't have as much interest in them. When I applied, one school required we list 3 POIs, so I listed 3 even though I was truly only interested in one. When I got to the interview, they had me paired with one of the other 2 I had listed. It became clear to both of us during the interview that that wouldn't be a good match, and that school ultimately got crossed off my list. Convey your enthusiasm that there is a lot of interesting work relevant to your interests going on across labs, but if you really want to work in one of them, try to highlight that.

Thank you for your reply. Is it okay to say in a PS that you are super interested in one lab and only interested in another? (obviously I'd change the wording a bit)

There are two schools in particular that ask to list faculty mentors of interest. Each school has a person I really want to work with and a professor who I think does cool research. I might actually like working in the latter professors lab more but I can't know this already.

Thank you for your reply. Is it okay to say in a PS that you are super interested in one lab and only interested in another? (obviously I'd change the wording a bit)

There are two schools in particular that ask to list faculty mentors of interest. Each school has a person I really want to work with and a professor who I think does cool research. I might actually like working in the latter professors lab more but I can't know this already.

I think this whole process is very tricky. One of my schools (actually my top choice!) says to list up to 3 profs of interest. I am only going to list 1. There is only one AMAZING fit for me at the program, and I don't feel that anybody else would be a good fit. Sure...I could put other names down and increase my chances of getting in, but I don't think that this would actually increase my chances all that much. Is it unwise to only list the one POI?

I'm personally only indicating one person at each of my schools as well. Even though it may increase my options, there is truly really only one prof at each school that I'd be interested in doing research with for the next 5 years.
In other news, I just wrote the first draft of my SOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I officially decreased my number of schools to 7 PhD programs and 6 PsyDs, and I'm feeling really good about my final 13.

If there is only one of interest, I wouldn't try to stretch it beyond that if the other lab is definitely not one you would want to be working in. If you want to mention that you find another lab interesting, I would first make it very clear which are your faculty member(s) of interest, and then indicate that, in addition, this other lab does "relevant" work or you think it would be interesting to "collaborate" with that lab. I think when I did that in my personal statements, I spent a lot of time talking about how I fit into my POIs lab, and then a brief statement about any other relevent faculty members.

Some departments do have multiple faculty members whose work overlaps enough that a student would naturally indicate several POIs. For example, in my department there are 2 faculty members whose work is very similar, they frequently collaborate, and it is almost a given that a student applying to work with one also indicates the other. At interview weekends, students usually meet with both and after the fact are asked to indicate who they think they'd prefer to work with. So I think it's definitely ok to list several POIs if indeed there are several there you think you would like to work with. You just don't want to be disappointed in the end if you list multiple faculty members but are really only interested in one. I think it's more important to make one good match than stretch it to make several "okay" matches.

Working busily at the PhD applications but now I am wondering if I should toss in some master's programs as well. I know this is rare but I would try for a master's with funding.

Is anyone else going this route (PhD and master's, probably as backup)? Are you doing the applications at the same time? I have seen conflicting info about deadlines. If I can, I'd much rather work hard on my PhD applications and then once I start getting those in or finish with those (December), go back and do master's apps if I am still inclined. Would it would be too late at that point?

Working busily at the PhD applications but now I am wondering if I should toss in some master's programs as well. I know this is rare but I would try for a master's with funding.

Is anyone else going this route (PhD and master's, probably as backup)? Are you doing the applications at the same time? I have seen conflicting info about deadlines. If I can, I'd much rather work hard on my PhD applications and then once I start getting those in or finish with those (December), go back and do master's apps if I am still inclined. Would it would be too late at that point?

I think there is a thread or two on here about funded MA programs... just search it.

I have been simply working on my apps by due date. December 1st apps are done. I'm working on the Dec 15 apps now. I have one MA program I'm applying to at my current undergrad with my mentor and it is not due until Feb 1.

I have a question regarding GRE scores. I just took the GRE on Friday and want to send in my scores asap so that they reach schools in time for the Dec 1st deadline. Do I have to wait until I receive my official score report to do this? I went to the ets website, but it only gives me the option of sending scores from a test that I took in Sept. Has anyone been through this?

I have a question regarding GRE scores. I just took the GRE on Friday and want to send in my scores asap so that they reach schools in time for the Dec 1st deadline. Do I have to wait until I receive my official score report to do this? I went to the ets website, but it only gives me the option of sending scores from a test that I took in Sept. Has anyone been through this?

Yes I believe you have to wait for them to be processed. I had spoken to ETS on the phone about this. I was able to send my new scores to the 4 freebie schools, but had to wait to receive my official scores in the mail to send them out to the other schools. It's a pain :/

Did you select the schools that have the Dec 1 deadline when you had to option to select 4 schools after you completed the test? I hear that's the fastest way.

In such a case some schools will allow you to report your scores unofficially and then send the official in later. I would email or call and ask.

Did you select the schools that have the Dec 1 deadline when you had to option to select 4 schools after you completed the test? I hear that's the fastest way.

Yes - but I have more than 4 schools that are due on Dec 1st. I also have quite a few that are due on Dec 15th, and I just want to make sure that I get score reports out in time. I'm so nervous that I won't get something in on time. I guess I will have to call ets and ask about this.

How is it going everyone?

I have most of my December due dates finished, although some are not yet mailed, with around 7 or so left for January due dates. I can't wait to get all of these out the door.

Additionally, I have two of my LORs that have yet to begin the process. One told me to remind him at the 2 week mark. Another told me she would be "lucky to get to it" with a laugh, which didn't make me feel very confident about asking her to write them... she went on to assure me it was a joke, but still.

GreenPsych, I hope you get the green light at one of your programs!

What is an appropriate writing sample to submit to a program?

One school I'm applying to, which is somewhat of a long-shot for me but suits my research interests well, wants a writing sample. Now I would imagine that they want a manuscript or publication I've written. My only problem is that although I have a little under 2 years of experience as a research assistant I don't have any publications.

So should I take it that this program wants people who've been published, and save myself $50? And if not...what would be an appropriate piece to submit?

What is an appropriate writing sample to submit to a program?

One school I'm applying to, which is somewhat of a long-shot for me but suits my research interests well, wants a writing sample. Now I would imagine that they want a manuscript or publication I've written. My only problem is that although I have a little under 2 years of experience as a research assistant I don't have any publications.

So should I take it that this program wants people who've been published, and save myself $50? And if not...what would be an appropriate piece to submit?

Would it be okay to submit a paper you wrote for a class? I know a lot of my undergrad classes make us do a small research project and write a paper that tries to look like a journal article. Even if its not published something like that might be okay.

But I have no idea :p

I'm in the same boat. 2 of my programs require a writing sample but as a non-psy major I don't have any papers related to what I'm interested in studying; only conference presentations.

FWIW: What I am planning to do is put those 2 programs off until I've finished my other apps (this is crunch time for me with getting things out to recommenders, classes, and work) and then attempt to write a short 4-5 page paper on what I hope to research at that program. Since it is what I hope to study for the next 5-6 years, it shouldn't be that difficult :) It will be up to date and a recent writing sample, so hopefully it will work out! Perhaps that could work for you too...

Good luck :luck:

Would it be okay to submit a paper you wrote for a class? I know a lot of my undergrad classes make us do a small research project and write a paper that tries to look like a journal article. Even if its not published something like that might be okay.

But I have no idea :p

Yeah... the closest thing I can think of is either to submit a literature review the professor I did research with had me write; or a small experiment I had to design for a neuroscience lab.

Yeah... the closest thing I can think of is either to submit a literature review the professor I did research with had me write; or a small experiment I had to design for a neuroscience lab.

I think all of your ideas are just fine. A lit review, a research methods paper, or a thesis/journal article. The point here is that they want to see how you write and what sort of questions you are asking. The best predictor of future behavior is recent past behavior (as in last 2 years) so if you are writing good stuff during that time you will be in the future or so it goes.

I ran into this issue as well (several schools asking for a sample) and submitted one of my publications... if I had not had a pub I would have chosen a research methods project.

I think all of your ideas are just fine. A lit review, a research methods paper, or a thesis/journal article. The point here is that they want to see how you write and what sort of questions you are asking. The best predictor of future behavior is recent past behavior (as in last 2 years) so if you are writing good stuff during that time you will be in the future or so it goes.

I ran into this issue as well (several schools asking for a sample) and submitted one of my publications... if I had not had a pub I would have chosen a research methods project.

I submitted my honors thesis as a writing sample. Just FYI.

I feel like this who application process sucks. So costly and time consuming and just... feel a bit hopeless latley. Even my mom couldn't back me up.

I have a great GPA I think (3.75 for my BS/4.0 MA) and my letters of recommendation will be stellar I'm sure. I bombed both GREs (subject 560/quan 510/verb 580). Lame excuse for not testing well, but it wasn't even that, I just totally undersestimated the fatigue of the test. I have expereince of only one semester actual "research" in my undergrad, and I have been working on an Applied Research Project my entire Masters degree. Does that actually qualify as research? Plus I was TA for a couple semester undergrad as well. Overall, I feel like I have more drive and passion for the subject of psychology but lack in the statisitcs of publications and expereince.

I have application to 4 PhD programs and 1 PsyD program... possibly one more (just kind of letting that hang in the air.) I just feel like I will be one of those students kind of thrown into the whatever pile. Personally I'd be estatic to be on a waiting list. Just the realization of competition of programs is heartwrenching. I know I will be taking the GRE again in Jan/Feb, if that really counts do to app deadlines in December, but just.. ahh. So beat over all this...

Does anyone know the address to send the supplemental materials listed on the UMASS PSY department's website? and the transcripts?

I just feel like I will be one of those students kind of thrown into the whatever pile. Personally I'd be estatic to be on a waiting list. Just the realization of competition of programs is heartwrenching.

+1

I feel the EXACT same way!! The odd thing is that even though I feel there is no hope of getting admitted, it's also the only thing I can really focus on. Thesis, lab, school, and work always come second to grad school. Anyone having this same problem/ ways of combating my non-grad school apathy?

+1

I feel the EXACT same way!! The odd thing is that even though I feel there is no hope of getting admitted, it's also the only thing I can really focus on. Thesis, lab, school, and work always come second to grad school. Anyone having this same problem/ ways of combating my non-grad school apathy?

I feel the same way. I have been obsessively working on applications for months, and while I am way ahead in the process, I feel that everything else is falling behind. Don't get me wrong, I am still doing well in classes/research, but I just tend to put a lot more energy in applications/essays.

I feel the same way. I have been obsessively working on applications for months, and while I am way ahead in the process, I feel that everything else is falling behind. Don't get me wrong, I am still doing well in classes/research, but I just tend to put a lot more energy in applications/essays.
I'm experiencing the same thing. It's nice to know I'm not alone! I'm just forcing myself to have balance (e.g., if I have an exam the next day, I'm not allowed to look at admissions stuff; I HAVE to study). Sometimes I still struggle to concentrate on the other tasks, but so far everything's going just fine. I'll be happy when this process is over though!