2010-2011 University of Nevada Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm right there with you. Good luck everyone. My first thought waking up this morning was," I wonder if the snow will prevent the mail from getting here?"

Fingers crossed :)

Members don't see this ad.

nothing in the mail today for me, but im outta state so it may take an extra day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing here either. :( I'm instate. Has anyone in Reno gotten a letter?

I'm in Reno... Nothing in my mail either.

I am OOS, but live in Reno and got something from UNSOM in the mail today. Dont know what it is yet - stupid certified mail.

I didn't get anything today. I'm in state, but I currently live out of state...maybe it will take longer for it to get here. Anyone hear anything today?:scared:

Alt listed... Guess I will try to get ahold of UNR tomorrow to try to figure out where im at on it. Here comes the waiting game :(

Alt listed... Guess I will try to get ahold of UNR tomorrow to try to figure out where im at on it. Here comes the waiting game :(

I'm sorry to hear you were waitlisted martij1, hopefully it moves quickly for you. On the bright side, at least you know. I'm going crazy over here in Kentucky. I'm curious though, you're OOS, where are you from? And was the letter certified? Did anything else come with it? I have my fingers crossed for you!:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to hear you were waitlisted martij1, hopefully it moves quickly for you. On the bright side, at least you know. I'm going crazy over here in Kentucky. I'm curious though, you're OOS, where are you from? And was the letter certified? Did anything else come with it? I have my fingers crossed for you!:xf:

MT. Yeah it was a certified letter, nothing else came with it. Good luck to you!

Anything today? I know there is bad weather out there. I guess I'll just have to wait until next month...boo

I know it's kinda crazy the only thing we heard is from martij1 and he got waitlisted. Where are all of the people getting accepted? I hate this process.

I know it's kinda crazy the only thing we heard is from martij1 and he got waitlisted. Where are all of the people getting accepted? I hate this process.

Yes, the waiting part is definitely anti-fun. I want to call, but I think Pat won't really be able to say anything.

I didn't hear anything this round either. A friend of mine got accepted. He's instate and a reapplicant.

For those who heard, when was the letter dated? I keep hoping that the snowstorm might have delayed my letter. But I think most of us will have to wait another month until the next set of decisions.

I got a card on my door from the post office that says I have a "large envelope" from Nevada. I'm assuming acceptance, but who really knows. Won't know until Tuesday.

I'm OOS Wiche

I got a card on my door from the post office that says I have a "large envelope" from Nevada. I'm assuming acceptance, but who really knows. Won't know until Tuesday.

I'm OOS Wiche

Well, congrats. Keep us posted! Try to relax this weekend. haha:)

Well, guess I'll wait till next month. My only comfort is that February is a short month. To everyone who got a letter, thanks for sharing with us.

I did speak to the admissions office though, and, while extremely nice, weren't all that helpful haha.

I indeed have been accepted.

Pretty unsure of where I'm leaning towards going, but i'll be sure to let you all know.

Hi all,

First, congrats to those who got in. Second, I was denied at UNSOM last month. The letter came certified. Anyway, I got another certified letter notice from them today, but I cant pick up til tomorrow. Anyone heard of this? I get the bad feeling they've resent my rejection, but maybe there's some glimmer of hope?

Hi all,

First, congrats to those who got in. Second, I was denied at UNSOM last month. The letter came certified. Anyway, I got another certified letter notice from them today, but I cant pick up til tomorrow. Anyone heard of this? I get the bad feeling they've resent my rejection, but maybe there's some glimmer of hope?

UN does a fine job of sending financial aid information and other such materials to those they've already rejected.

Im a re-applicant and i experienced this last year.

UN does a fine job of sending financial aid information and other such materials to those they've already rejected.

Im a re-applicant and i experienced this last year.

Thanks, that's pretty horrible, perhaps they could invest in some kind of filtering process! BTW, would you mind telling what you did the last year in prep for re-applying?

Thanks, that's pretty horrible, perhaps they could invest in some kind of filtering process! BTW, would you mind telling what you did the last year in prep for re-applying?

I few things I learned from the first go around.

Number one... get your application out as early as possible. And that will require pre-writting your secondary essays. How do you do that? SDN of course! look up the what the secondaries were from years past and crank em out in may-july before you get them so you can turn them around.

Number two... If you don't have REAL clinical experience... get it. Volunteering and job shadowing is cool, but lets face it.. everyones got that. I got my CNA and worked in a nursing home for 6 months. That was eye opening. My personal statement was more sincere and in my interviews I could tell them story after story after story...

Number three... Thank you letters and letters of interest. If you really want an interview somewhere... write them a letter saying so. If you had a great experience at an interview... write a letter saying so... then write more letters after saying how you have been working hard since the application went out. And send thank you's to all interviewers.

Other notes: If you got below an 8 on any part of your mcat... consider retaking it. However, verbal is the most important part of it. So if you can do better on verbal then do so.

As far as other things I did... I got a second degree which may or may not have mattered. I did tutoring and did some job shadowing in specialties.
Also, I got 2 more letters of recommendation which I thought was really helpful for my application.

I few things I learned from the first go around.

Number one... get your application out as early as possible. And that will require pre-writting your secondary essays. How do you do that? SDN of course! look up the what the secondaries were from years past and crank em out in may-july before you get them so you can turn them around.

Number two... If you don't have REAL clinical experience... get it. Volunteering and job shadowing is cool, but lets face it.. everyones got that. I got my CNA and worked in a nursing home for 6 months. That was eye opening. My personal statement was more sincere and in my interviews I could tell them story after story after story...

Number three... Thank you letters and letters of interest. If you really want an interview somewhere... write them a letter saying so. If you had a great experience at an interview... write a letter saying so... then write more letters after saying how you have been working hard since the application went out. And send thank you's to all interviewers.

Other notes: If you got below an 8 on any part of your mcat... consider retaking it. However, verbal is the most important part of it. So if you can do better on verbal then do so.

As far as other things I did... I got a second degree which may or may not have mattered. I did tutoring and did some job shadowing in specialties.
Also, I got 2 more letters of recommendation which I thought was really helpful for my application.

Thanks for the advice. I picked up the letter and it was actually for a program for them to help me make a plan for re-application.

Waitlisted... bottom 1/3 so yeah probably not this year.:thumbdown:

Congrats to everyone else who has been accepted, and thanks for the advice ShameFace.

When is the last round of interviews? Does anyone know when the next meetings are, I'm just trying to find out when the wait list should begin movement so I know when to begin checking my cell phone every 5 minutes for a missed call...I really hope the list goes through the top 1/3 this year so I can finally get in to school!

The 15th of every month but I don't actually know when the final acceptances go out...

Waitlisted... bottom 1/3 so yeah probably not this year.:thumbdown:

Congrats to everyone else who has been accepted, and thanks for the advice ShameFace.

Hey, how did you find out? Did you call? Or did you get a letter?

Sorry to hear that you were waitlisted. Maybe it will work out. You never know. Try to stay positive.

Hey, how did you find out? Did you call? Or did you get a letter?

I called them they have no problem telling you what third you are in but they won't be any more specific than that.

I called them they have no problem telling you what third you are in but they won't be any more specific than that.

I want to call, but I'm nervous. I didn't think we would hear anything until the 15th. Has a decision been made for everyone by now?

Nope, I haven't heard anything yet. I have a couple friends who are also still waiting. I think April is the last round.

According to UNSOM's website, they send out letters on the 15th of the month January through April. But, in recent years past, all acceptances, rejections and WL letters were sent out by 3/15 and only WL movement happened after that.

What did you decide Shame?

Woo next week is spring break!!!! And the 15th is also next week....boo. Here's to spending spring break waiting for certified mail!

:boom:

Anyone else going crazy waiting for the 15th??

I have a feeling letters will be sent out today, and start arriving tomorrow (for those of us IS, anyway). I hope I'm right, this wait is torture!

:boom:

Anyone else going crazy waiting for the 15th??

I have a feeling letters will be sent out today, and start arriving tomorrow (for those of us IS, anyway). I hope I'm right, this wait is torture!

I'm definitely going crazy. I'm in state, but currently live out of state. I doubt that my letter will get here tomorrow...it's got a long way to go, assuming I get one this round. Who knows? I don't...

I'll just be reading this thread for any morsel of information. Everyone be sure to post please if you hear anything! Good luck!

I live in Reno and my mail came early... No news. Is it unrealistic to hope for tomorrow's mail?

Don't worry. They most likely just mailed it today, expect something tomorrow.

Don't worry. They most likely just mailed it today, expect something tomorrow.

Confirmed. I spoke to Pat, and she says letters went out yesterday, the 15th. Good luck everyone.

Waitlisted, top 1/3. This waiting is such agony! Good luck everyone

Thanks. I'm In-state, the letter came certified today.

In-state, got a certified mail slip today. We'll see tomorrow morning!

Did anyone oos hear anything today? Also does anyone know if it is possible to get a letter after one of these adcom meetings for an acceptance off of the waitlist? I mostly just want to get this list moving ASAP! I need an acceptance in the worst way

Status
Not open for further replies.