2010 Waitlist Blues?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamsterpants

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feel free to chime in with the frustration and joys of being waitlisted. After all, you are in good company :D

Those who are turning down offers, please let us know where, the type of program (e.g. clinical, counseling, PhD, PsyD), the date when you actually declined the offer, and if you feel comfortable, your POI.

please feel free to PM me instead of posting and I will update.

THANK YOU!

OFFERS TURNED DOWN

School, type of degree, date declined, POI (if supplied):
(When not sure of date offer was turned down, I put the date I received the info)

Adelphi, Ph.D (clinical), 3/30
Argosy University in Irvine, PsyD, 4/6
Auburn University, PhD (clinical), 3/22
Azusa Pacific, PsyD, 4/10
Boston University, PhD (clinical), 3/22
UCLA, PhD (clinical), 3/24, Dr. Hammen
UCSB, PhD, (combined/clinical), 3/24, Dr. Kia-Keating
Catholic University (Clinical Ph.D. program) 4/3
Chestnut Hill College, PsyD, 3/16, 4/13
CW Post LIU, PsyD , 4/6
University of Denver, PhD (child clinical), 3/24, Dr. Wadsworth
University of Denver, PsyD, 4/10
Florida State U, Ph.D (clinical), 3/4
University of Florida's School Psychology PhD, 4/5
Fordham University, Ph.D (clinical), 3/4
Fuller Theological Seminary, PsyD, 4/6, 4/13
Gallaudet University, Ph.D (clinical), 3/30
GWU, PsyD, 3/24, 4/14 (2)
Hofstra, Psy. D (school-community), 4/6
USUHS, Ph.D (clinical), 3/10
University of Illinois at Chicago, Ph.D (clinical), 3/22
Illinois Institute of Technology, Ph.D (clinical), 4/8
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Ph.D (clinical), 3/26
Indiana Univ of PA, PsyD, 4/7
University of Indianapolis, PsyD, 4/10
U. of Iowa Counseling PhD, 3/28
La Salle for the PsyD in Clinical Psychology, 3/28
Long Island University - C.W. Post, Psy.D (Clinical),
Loyola University Maryland, PsyD, 4/13
U Maryland- Baltimore County, Ph.D (clinical), 3/30
U Maryland- College Park, Ph.D (clinical), 3/22
Marywood, PsyD, 4/14
MSPP, PsyD, 4/11
The New School, MA (clinical), 3/22
U of North Dakota, Counseling Psych PhD, 4/6
Oklahoma State U, PhD (counseling), 3/25
Pacific University, PsyD, 4/10
PGSP-Stanford, PsyD, 3/24
Pepperdine, PsyD, 4/13
Radford University, PsyD in Counseling Psychology, 4/13
Rosalind Franklin University, PhD (clinical), 4/8
San Diego State University, Psych MA, 4/7, Dr. Yeh
Seattle Pacific University, PhD (clinical), 3/24
St. John's, Psy. D (school), 4/6
Suffolk, Ph.D (clinical), 3/24
University of South Florida, PhD (clinical), 3/15
Teachers College, Columbia University, PhD (counseling psych), 4/15
Temple, PhD (clinical), 3/24, Dr. Alloy
Washington State, PhD (clinical), 3/24
University of Vermont, PhD (clinical), 3/24, Dr. Burt
Wheaton College, PsyD, 4/10
Widener University, Psy.D (Clinical), 4/7
Xavier, PsyD, 3/26
Yeshiva, PsyD, 4/3

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is this waitlist pre or post interview?

I got one waitlist without even interviewing...

How many invites did you get?

Is this waitlist pre or post interview?

I got one waitlist without even interviewing...

How many invites did you get?

I guess it's for both! I got 2 invites for interviews which turned into two waitlists.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I am currently on 2 waitlists, I decided to take a page from Cara Susanna and start this thread. Hopefully some of her luck will rub off on me.

Feel free to chime in with the frustration and joys of being waitlisted. After all, you are in good company :D

:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

I think luck is definitely on your side, and you will get into one of those programs. : )

Did you contact them to find out what your chances are?

I think luck is definitely on your side, and you will get into one of those programs. : )

Did you contact them to find out what your chances are?

Aw. Thanks! Yea, the second program said they don't do rankings of alternates but that they should have more info for me very soon. I also emailed the first program to clarify my position as well. ;)

Aw. Thanks! Yea, the second program said they don't do rankings of alternates but that they should have more info for me very soon. I also emailed the first program to clarify my position as well. ;)

Interesting. If they don't rank, I wonder how they decide which person on the waitlist gets the golden ticket when someone declines an offer.

I have nothing of worth to contribute, I just have to say your "hamster pants" made me laugh today (even though I've been looking at them since Jan.) I love those feet! :rofl:

Good luck to you guys! I have a special place in my heart for waitlisted people. Hang in there :D

I'm waitlisted on my top two choices, so I understand. I feel weird though because I have 2 offers...which I'm very happy and excited to have received it.....so I at least know I'll be somewhere for sure.

But it's still a waiting game for me.....

I'm still waiting to hear anything from the two schools I've interviewed at so far. I have learned, however, that staring at your phone doesn't induce a phone call :laugh:

I'm still waiting to hear anything from the two schools I've interviewed at so far. I have learned, however, that staring at your phone doesn't induce a phone call :laugh:

I'm hoping that if I stare long enough it might just decide to ring with news

Hello my fellow waitlistees (and fans of waitlistees),

I just wanted to draw your attention to last year's waitlist thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=608282&highlight=2009+waitlist

Not everyone agrees with me but I found it inspiring because quite a few folks got in off the waitlist, often at the very last minute (exciting!). I also found the same on the 2009 acceptance thread (and earlier threads).

Also, I took a risk today and emailed the POI at my top choice to talk about being waitlisted and they were extremely encouraging. Even if I don't end up getting in, it feels good to know they took the time to write a thoughtful note and it confirms my intuition that this is a great program.

A watched phone never rings ;)
when I got my waitlist calls (they both came within a couple hours of each other), my phone was off and I was in an important work meeting!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have nothing of worth to contribute, I just have to say your "hamster pants" made me laugh today (even though I've been looking at them since Jan.) I love those feet! :rofl:

I'm glad I gave you a giggle. I cannot take full credit though, I googled hamsterpants one day, and they were one of the images that popped up! (some of the other images were um, really weird).

Also, I took a risk today and emailed the POI at my top choice to talk about being waitlisted and they were extremely encouraging. Even if I don't end up getting in, it feels good to know they took the time to write a thoughtful note and it confirms my intuition that this is a great program.

Yea!!! It is good to hear that some professors actually do exhibit the traits that I expect to see in mental health professionals. :)

A bit of hope (?): I was waitlisted early this season by a program and pretty much gave up on getting an offer from that school. Ten days later, I got a phone call not only admitting me but telling me I had been awarded a university fellowship! :)

So, hang in there and good luck to you all! :luck:

Two Days ago I was waitlisted at my Third choice university, CUNY (Social- Personality) I was/am really bumbed out about it... I really hope I make it in off the waitlist. Sigh this process can be so discouraging! On the Upside today I got accepted into widener!

I wonder if being waitlisted/alternate may affect your decision if you were offered admission to other programs who wanted you as their first choice and did not waitlist you.

For example, you are currently waitlisted at your first choice school but you have one other offer who did not wait list you. Do you feel like you were a "second best" at your top choice? and would rather attend a program that chose you first and wanted you first?

i am not officially waitlisted yet but pretty sure i will be since invites have gone out to some at USF BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (this is especially irritating since I have called and the lady wouldn't tell me the deal. grrrrrrr. just "you are still being considered." what the f is that!?!?!? but i digress.

hamsterpants! buddy. pal. chum o' mine. what are your thoughts on "managing" this thread? perhaps listing the schools people get accepted to from waitlists? it'd be cool to see all in one place and interesting if you are also on the waitlist- also a service to future generations of SDNers. just a thought......

I wonder if being waitlisted/alternate may affect your decision if you were offered admission to other programs who wanted you as their first choice and did not waitlist you.

For example, you are currently waitlisted at your first choice school but you have one other offer who did not wait list you. Do you feel like you were a "second best" at your top choice? and would rather attend a program that chose you first and wanted you first?

I was thinking about this today, but if one had those feelings, why stay on the waitlist? I'd rather be happy at a program I was second pick at, than not so happy at a program I was first choice.

I was thinking about this today, but if one had those feelings, why stay on the waitlist? I'd rather be happy at a program I was second pick at, than not so happy at a program I was first choice.

Just because you were a school's "second choice" doesn't mean that you wouldn't be happy there. I think it's important in the process to not take things personally. There are sure to be some applicants out there who are just plain better qualified than you are (just as you are bound to be better qualified than others as well). Just because you are a program's second choice doesn't mean they don't like you. Having seen the other side for the past several years and interviewing potential candidates for my current program, it's clear that there are many well-qualified people and it's often hard to rank our preferences. I would hate for someone to take it personally if they are initially wait listed and turn down a later offer at their top choice program - I promise you that the faculty aren't going to be disappointed that you are there and thinking ugh now I have to put up with this person, what a pain! If they give you an offer, whether it's the first, second, or third offer extended, they are happy to have you!

Just because you were a school's "second choice" doesn't mean that you wouldn't be happy there. I think it's important in the process to not take things personally. There are sure to be some applicants out there who are just plain better qualified than you are (just as you are bound to be better qualified than others as well). Just because you are a program's second choice doesn't mean they don't like you. Having seen the other side for the past several years and interviewing potential candidates for my current program, it's clear that there are many well-qualified people and it's often hard to rank our preferences. I would hate for someone to take it personally if they are initially wait listed and turn down a later offer at their top choice program - I promise you that the faculty aren't going to be disappointed that you are there and thinking ugh now I have to put up with this person, what a pain! If they give you an offer, whether it's the first, second, or third offer extended, they are happy to have you!

I think you misunderstood my point. I agreed with verything you just said.

I think you misunderstood my point. I agreed with verything you just said.

Oops! Right you are. I was zonked before going to sleep last night when I posted and must have read it wrong. I know other people have posted on this thread and others the mentality that is kind of like, "if they don't like me best, I don't want to go there anyway!" which I think will only hurt them in the end. So apparently we are in total agreement about that :D

OoI know other people have posted on this thread and others the mentality that is kind of like, "if they don't like me best, I don't want to go there anyway!" which I think will only hurt them in the end.

I am sure that for many applicants this is the first time that they have not been a top choice. I agree with you. To turn down an offer solely because one wasn't a top choice is all about ego. Please don't let your egos get in the way of the education that you want. If you get into your top choice after being waitlisted, go!!!

Just a friendly reminder for all those who have two or more acceptances. There are many of us on waitlists, so if you are holding multiple offers at once, please discard your "lower" choices.

That, and congrats for getting accepted in the first place!

I already posted this on the Acceptance/Waitlist thread, but thought I would post it here as well. I have been informed that I am the #1 alternate for 2 spots at my top choice program. I should be hearing back from my 2nd and 3rd choice programs this upcoming week, but feel pretty confident about getting an offer from at least one of them due to comments that my POIs made. Although I think I could be happy at my 2nd or 3rd choice schools, I really feel strongly about my top choice. This program also happens to have a 50% acceptance rate of their offers, so I feel like statistically speaking at least 1 of the students who have been extended an offer will turn it down :). I'm trying to remain optimistic.

To all of you who are also in this dreaded waitlist position, what is your plan? I have decided that I will not make any decisions until April 1, other than turning down my 3rd choice if I am accepted at my 2nd choice. If I haven't heard anything from my top choice by April 1 then I will reevaluate whether I want to keep holding out, or just accept another offer.

I already posted this on the Acceptance/Waitlist thread, but thought I would post it here as well. I have been informed that I am the #1 alternate for 2 spots at my top choice program. I should be hearing back from my 2nd and 3rd choice programs this upcoming week, but feel pretty confident about getting an offer from at least one of them due to comments that my POIs made. Although I think I could be happy at my 2nd or 3rd choice schools, I really feel strongly about my top choice. This program also happens to have a 50% acceptance rate of their offers, so I feel like statistically speaking at least 1 of the students who have been extended an offer will turn it down :). I'm trying to remain optimistic.

To all of you who are also in this dreaded waitlist position, what is your plan? I have decided that I will not make any decisions until April 1, other than turning down my 3rd choice if I am accepted at my 2nd choice. If I haven't heard anything from my top choice by April 1 then I will reevaluate whether I want to keep holding out, or just accept another offer.

If your top choice is clearly your preference over your second choice, I would strongly discourage you from waiting. Even though you're planning on making a decision before April 15th, the sooner you can open up a spot for someone else the better. Think about how you would feel if the people who have offers from your top choice program were just waiting, holding onto two offers when another program was their preferred pick. You would want them to open up a spot for you!

Hey guys, I am currently waitlisted at my top choice and I have been consoling myself by looking at their stats from previous years. They generally have given out more offers than number of incoming students, which I translate to students getting in off the waitlist after an offer has been declined by someone else. I know this application year has been discussed as particularly competitive, so my question is, do you think this year is so vastly different from previous years that looking back at stats doesn't make sense?

If your top choice is clearly your preference over your second choice, I would strongly discourage you from waiting. Even though you're planning on making a decision before April 15th, the sooner you can open up a spot for someone else the better. Think about how you would feel if the people who have offers from your top choice program were just waiting, holding onto two offers when another program was their preferred pick. You would want them to open up a spot for you!

Oh, I'm sorry... I don't think I was clear in my post. What I meant was that if I continue to be waitlisted at my top choice, and receive offers from my 2nd and 3rd, that I will turn down the 3rd choice offer and hold onto the 2nd choice offer until I hear back from my first choice. And if I haven't heard from my top choice by April 1, I'm going to reconsider waiting for them and possibly just accept my 2nd choice and withdraw from my top choice.

Oh, I'm sorry... I don't think I was clear in my post. What I meant was that if I continue to be waitlisted at my top choice, and receive offers from my 2nd and 3rd, that I will turn down the 3rd choice offer and hold onto the 2nd choice offer until I hear back from my first choice. And if I haven't heard from my top choice by April 1, I'm going to reconsider waiting for them and possibly just accept my 2nd choice and withdraw from my top choice.

Gotcha. Good idea! I don't know that I would give up all hope by April 1st, but I would definitely be checking in with the program to see if my POI had a student who accepted an offer already. This is all coming from someone who's unofficially waitlisted at her top choice program, so take my words and tone with a grain of salt.

Why by April 1st? You have about two more weeks after that to decide, if needed.

*sigh* It's been a month since my interview at one of my top choice programs. I've met someone who got accepted, and one who received a rejection letter. Either my rejection letter is lost in the mail, or I've been waitlisted :confused:

Call them and ask. They will usually tell you if you're waitlisted.

*sigh* It's been a month since my interview at one of my top choice programs. I've met someone who got accepted, and one who received a rejection letter. Either my rejection letter is lost in the mail, or I've been waitlisted :confused:

May I ask what program? You can PM me if you would like. I'm in the same situation.

Why by April 1st? You have about two more weeks after that to decide, if needed.

I know that I have until April 15, but I just meant that I will reevaluate on the 1st, knowing that I CAN wait 2 more weeks if I feel like it's worth it at that point. I'm just kind of mentally checking out of the process for the next month and distracting myself with comps for my masters program and a spring break trip to Vegas :).... And April 1 is the date I'm allowing myself to start stressing about it again (unless, of course, I hear from my top choice before then).

I know that I have until April 15, but I just meant that I will reevaluate on the 1st, knowing that I CAN wait 2 more weeks if I feel like it's worth it at that point. I'm just kind of mentally checking out of the process for the next month and distracting myself with comps for my masters program and a spring break trip to Vegas :).... And April 1 is the date I'm allowing myself to start stressing about it again (unless, of course, I hear from my top choice before then).

I see. That sounds like a solid plan. Hopefully, however, you will get into your #1 choice before your spring break, so you can really enjoy it!!! : )

please any who got accepted to the central mich uni's school psyc and does not want to go. please please please please reject so those of us on the waiting list can have a chance:(. Thanks

I am at:

1 confirmed waitlist
1 likely-waitlist that I can call to confirm in a week or so
2 schools still working to contact their first choices

So, Ball-in-Their-Court situation, and all the relief and anxiety that implies! :D

I am currently number one on the waitlist for my top choice. It is such a weird feeling that one other person's decision will ultimately dictate my life. I do have another offer that I'm excited about, so that's a sigh of relief. However, fingers crossed!! Hopefully he/she has a few amazing offers elsewhere:xf:

i am not officially waitlisted yet but pretty sure i will be since invites have gone out to some at USF BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (this is especially irritating since I have called and the lady wouldn't tell me the deal. grrrrrrr. just "you are still being considered." what the f is that!?!?!? but i digress.

hamsterpants! buddy. pal. chum o' mine. what are your thoughts on "managing" this thread? perhaps listing the schools people get accepted to from waitlists? it'd be cool to see all in one place and interesting if you are also on the waitlist- also a service to future generations of SDNers. just a thought......

I'm open to that, if people want to pm me their waitlist acceptances, I will gladly organize. I'm not sure if it will work though, since a lot of people will probably post in the acceptances thread instead but we can try it!

I'm open to that, if people want to pm me their waitlist acceptances, I will gladly organize. I'm not sure if it will work though, since a lot of people will probably post in the acceptances thread instead but we can try it!

another thing i can check compulsively. SAWEEEET!

argh, my own waitlist blues today. Found out the "first round draft pick" at one of my schools accepted the spot in my POI's lab, so I am off the waitlist but not in the way I had hoped. Rejected!

And now it all comes down to one waitlist, at one school. I sincerely hope someone who has an offer for my lab will turn it down or poof! hamster dreams up in smoke (for now) and I gotta start figuring out a way to make next year's apps happen.

Waitlist aphorism of the day: A dream delayed is not a dream denied.

argh, my own waitlist blues today. Found out the "first round draft pick" at one of my schools accepted the spot in my POI's lab, so I am off the waitlist but not in the way I had hoped. Rejected!

And now it all comes down to one waitlist, at one school. I sincerely hope someone who has an offer for my lab will turn it down or poof! hamster dreams up in smoke (for now) and I gotta start figuring out a way to make next year's apps happen.

Waitlist aphorism of the day: A dream delayed is not a dream denied.

I am sorry Hamster! I'm in a similar situation. One program left and I "think" I'm on a waitlist or further down the list of admission offers. It's been over a month and the program just keeps saying "we are still making decisions". They won't even tell me if I'm on a waitlist, but I presume I am since some offers went out! I feel your pain. I hope you get in!

Thanks guys! The support on this board has been AMAZING. :biglove:
and I am feeling strangely optimistic about my final result.

are there any waitlist success stories out there who don't mind sharing??

Thanks guys! The support on this board has been AMAZING. :biglove:
and I am feeling strangely optimistic about my final result.

are there any waitlist success stories out there who don't mind sharing??

I posted one above.

Also, I'll have to re-join your ranks... got waitlisted at Mississippi State today. :xf::xf::xf:

I posted one above.

Also, I'll have to re-join your ranks... got waitlisted at Mississippi State today. :xf::xf::xf:

Mucho lucko hamsterpantalones!

Just keep smiling and know whatever is meant to be will happen for you. keep the faith!

Question: How exactly do post-interview notifications work??? Is everyone waitlisted unless the position has already been accepted? Or does 1 person receive the offer, 4 more get waitlisted, and 2 ppl are outright rejected? ???

Question: How exactly do post-interview notifications work??? Is everyone waitlisted unless the position has already been accepted? Or does 1 person receive the offer, 4 more get waitlisted, and 2 ppl are outright rejected? ???

For most programs, some people will be rejected following the interview (while others will be accepted or waitlisted). I'm sure that there are some programs that choose not to interview very many people who just keep all of their interviewees on the waitlist.