2011-2012 Dartmouth Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First round of Canadian acceptances went out on May 15th instead of May 7th this year.

Yeah may 15 acceptances went out but those individuals have to choose their school by may29 so any Canadians withdrawing will have to do it by then

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No word still..I wish they'd tell us already!

The wait is agonizing and makes it terribly difficult to focus on anything....

All the best to you all...I hope & pray we hear some good news really soon.

Anyone hear anything or call?

First round of Canadian acceptances are may29 so maybe they are holding off!! I did see a couple people on premed101 debating between Dartmouth and a Canadian school, hopefully we start hearing soon

Let's go tell them Dartmouth sucks. ;)

Has anyone been accepted off the W'list and just hasnt let the rest of us know yet? :)

I guess things won't start moving until after may 29th because of the canadians.

I guess things won't start moving until after may 29th because of the canadians.

I would be very surprised if this were the case. There just aren't enough Canadian applicants to define how Dartmouth does admissions/wait list movement. By May 15th they know how many people are still holding acceptances in the class. If there are fewer people holding acceptances than spots then they move to fill those spots quickly (a friend of mine who started med school with me at Dartmouth and is now a resident got off the wait list at Dartmouth on May 16th of the year she started). Obviously, more people may drop out as they get off of wait lists at other schools, but most of the movement will be close to that May 15th date. That's not to say that there never is any movement in June/July/August (one guy in my original med school class got off the wait list on the first day of orientation), but there is less movement the closer you get to orientation in August.

It's important to recognize that the wait list is typically much larger than the number of people likely to be offered admissions from the wait list. If the school interviews ~600 people and wait lists a third, then there are far more people on the wait list than the relatively small number of spots that are likely to open up. I'm not trying to be negative, but I think it's important to have reasonable expectations about the chances of getting in off the wait list.

I have no information, but my guess is that the class is full. The facebook group has ~69 entering students, for a class of 87. This is heartbreaking to me too.

Does anyone else feel like there has been less waitlist movement than previously this year across the board? All the schools seem stuffed up.

I think it's also possible that Geisel is taking a diff approach this year. Again the letter says late May, which May 16th is not. They have this whole top 20 school by 2020 goal, which is aided by not rapidly sending out acceptances to those who will reject them.

Has anybody called admissions whether there has been/ will be wait list movement for Geisel?

Has anybody called admissions whether there has been/ will be wait list movement for Geisel?

I called on Friday, and I was told there had been no movement at that point. I couldn't really figure out if it's because they're at class size, or that they're just biding their time for something, although I can't see why they would do that.

Either way, previous years' threads show movement late May (post May 15-20), which is slightly comforting.

Just went over to talk to Bill Brown and he said as of now the class is full which would explain the lack of movement :( Hopefully some more spots free up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no, that is really sad :(

thanks for the update though...

I called and confirmed golfguy's update...The class is currently oversubscribed so there hasn't been wait list movement this cycle.

Best wishes,

To make matters worse, for anyone that hasn't gotten in anywhere, Bill said being waitlisted at Dartmouth gives you no upper hand next cycle...pardon me while I find a tall building around here...

To make matters worse, for anyone that hasn't gotten in anywhere, Bill said being waitlisted at Dartmouth gives you no upper hand next cycle...pardon me while I find a tall building around here...

Being waitlisted means that you have a good app overall, you just weren't quite the right fit for Dartmouth to accept right off. If you don't get in this cycle, apply broadly next year and you probably have a good shot. My wife (now a resident) got in nowhere her first app cycle and then got into 5 or 6 schools the next time around. I wouldn't give up quite yet.

Also, APPLY EARLY. Seriously. I have a friend who got in nowhere the first time around even with her 3.9 and ~39 MCAT because she applied in late September. The next time around she applied early got into her (very highly regarded) state school, along with some other great places.

Being waitlisted means that you have a good app overall, you just weren't quite the right fit for Dartmouth to accept right off. If you don't get in this cycle, apply broadly next year and you probably have a good shot. My wife (now a resident) got in nowhere her first app cycle and then got into 5 or 6 schools the next time around. I wouldn't give up quite yet.

Also, APPLY EARLY. Seriously. I have a friend who got in nowhere the first time around even with her 3.9 and ~39 MCAT because she applied in late September. The next time around she applied early got into her (very highly regarded) state school, along with some other great places.

Thanks PhysicsNerd that's encouraging and I did apply kind of late, I didn't send in primaries until mid-late august. Though I am discouraged by Dartmouth due to the fact that I work here, volunteer at the hospital here, EMT here, lived in NH my whole life and thought my interview went well.

Thanks PhysicsNerd that's encouraging and I did apply kind of late, I didn't send in primaries until mid-late august. Though I am discouraged by Dartmouth due to the fact that I work here, volunteer at the hospital here, EMT here, lived in NH my whole life and thought my interview went well.

Hey its not over til classes start in August! so don't give up hope yet!!

Just withdrew my application, Geisel looks great but I've already been accepted into a school I really like. Good luck for the rest of you! It will probably all work out in the end.

Word bro. I applied about the deadline (October 7 or so), and it killed me. But I am set to attend a school I really like. It's not a top school, but I'm happy with it. But I am still waiting on Dartmouth, plus I might get a good financial aid package here :cool:

I called and confirmed golfguy's update...The class is currently oversubscribed so there hasn't been wait list movement this cycle.

Best wishes,

Wow, this cycle must have been very competitive. It seems no more than 10 students will get off the waiting list. Hmmnn...

I think it was exceptionally competitive everywhere. Or else people have overestimated to me how much waitlists have historically moved. Most of the schools i've been following are like Dartmouth. Not budging.

It's likely "oversubscribed" because Canadian applicants have until the 31th of May this year (rather than the 15th, as in previous years) to decide. Schools like Dartmouth and great lake medical schools have seen little to no movement yet, largely because of this. Good Friday may be around the corner (June 1)

This is probably true to an extent. But in the name of full disclosure of information, there were 75 students at second look, and 2 canadians. Assuming that this was representative of about 1/3 of the outright accepted pool (guessing at ~225?), I expect there are 6-8 Canadian slots, not necessarily all among the "yes" answerers. I agree that this is incredibly hard waiting, and I really, really hope that the waitlist will move for a few lucky people among us. I just want to offer what information I have, because i think it is the lack of information/waiting in the dark that makes this process so difficult.

I think this cycle was unusually competitive. Last year there were 42,000 applicants. This cycle the number inexplicably ballooned to 47,000, the highest number since 1996. Whenever the economy is down, applications to graduate schools generally soar. I think waitlists will move at a rate much slower than is typical. And that isn't cool. :thumbdown:

I think Chrome is right. This year was definitely competitive. In any case, I withdrew my waitlist position at Dartmouth today. Good luck to everyone!

I called last week and Andy told me that there still hasn't been any movement on the WL, apparently this is the first time it's happened to him. He said there might be some offers but can't say for sure, obviously.

He also said they would slowly release people as they see fit.

Fingers crossed :xf:

I called last week and Andy told me that there still hasn't been any movement on the WL, apparently this is the first time it's happened to him. He said there might be some offers but can't say for sure, obviously.

He also said they would slowly release people as they see fit.

Fingers crossed :xf:
Thanks for the update Jawn doe! I guess we can still hope until we get a release email.

All the best to everyone.

Any news? Can't believe there has been no movement!

Released from the waitlist. Did anyone else get the email?

Anybody have any advice for flying in from the West Coast? Is there a student hosting program here?

Sorry, I don't feel like looking through 20+ pages right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.