2011-2012 University of California - Irvine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! So I was wondering were you a minority when you applied?? I know you had low stats and you got in! Congrats!

Thanks :). But not a minority (white female). I just had the low MCAT, but I think I made up for it in other ways (GPA, ECs, LORs, life experiences, etc).

GL! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

just called the admissions office for the lor status. The person who downloads the lors from amcas is on vacation so for those of us who submitted the secondary early, we will not be complete until that person gets back towards the end of the week.

lol

Members don't see this ad :)
just called the admissions office for the LOR status. The person who downloads the LORs from AMCAS is on vacation so for those of us who submitted the secondary early, we will not be complete until that person gets back towards the end of the week.

Relax guys. Its not going to slow you down - they aren't going to start reviewing apps for interviews for another couple weeks so it makes no difference.

The admissions office has a really busy job. It starts getting really busy in late July when they start having to decide on interviews and finish filling last years class. Gets really busy in August when they are prepping for the new class to start. Stays busy through interview season into May when they are getting final decisions and right back through July as they are making waitlist decisions.

This is probably the slowest time of the year and the only time most of them get vacation.

So be patient - it will be fine.

Relax guys. Its not going to slow you down - they aren't going to start reviewing apps for interviews for another couple weeks so it makes no difference.

The admissions office has a really busy job. It starts getting really busy in late July when they start having to decide on interviews and finish filling last years class. Gets really busy in August when they are prepping for the new class to start. Stays busy through interview season into May when they are getting final decisions and right back through July as they are making waitlist decisions.

This is probably the slowest time of the year and the only time most of them get vacation.

So be patient - it will be fine.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Didn't mean for it to come off as 'antsy', just wanted to inform anyone who was curious/thinking about calling for themselves.

my letter of recommendation isn't complete? anyone else having this status?

sorry did not see the above posts, only paid attention to DISCOSTEW's post :p

UCI so on top of things
AMCAS recieved my LOR today, and UCI already download them,
and my interview status is already Under Review:eek:
does anyone else interview status said Under Review
so nervous now that they are reviewing my application:xf:

nope, it took them a couple days to mark me as "under review"

but yep, I'm now complete! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
r u you guys just putting all of your activities down, or significant ones?

Got the "under review" yesterday :)

Anyone else still waiting for a secondary from here?

It's really strange, I thought for sure I'd get at least a secondary.

IS, 35S, 3.82, 10 years research experience, verified 6/1.

Why no love from Irvine?

My state hates me.

The waiting in this process is a killer.

Last edited:

IS, 35S, 3.82, 10 years research experience, verified 6/1. Why no love from Irvine?

I think this just goes to show how unpredictable the whole application process is...

IS, 31, 3.6 cgpa, verified 6/7 here. (non-URM fyi) and I got screened into the first batch of secondaries.

I am very curious to know what experiences set us apart. How is your clinical exposure?

I am very curious to know what experiences set us apart. How is your clinical exposure?

Volunteered at a hospital back in England for a year in 2001, built hospitals for a summer in Africa, volunteered for half a year at a hospital in the USA. Shadowed a couple of physicians for a few weeks. Currently I design and carry out clinical trials on HIV vaccine.

sadness. :(

This is such a stressful process. You really start to doubt yourself and your abilities until you've been validated from a few schools. This comes out in me by constantly checking these forums. I can't tell you how many times I've hit the refresh button on the 2011-2012 Apps over the past couple of weeks.

Last edited:
volunteered at a hospital back in england for a year in 2001, built hospitals for a summer in africa, volunteered for half a year at a hospital in the usa. Shadowed a couple of physicians for a few weeks. Currently i design and carry out clinical trials on hiv vaccine.

Sadness. :(

this is such a stressful process. You really start to doubt yourself and your abilities until you've been validated from a few schools. This comes out in me by constantly checking these forums. I can't tell you how many times i've hit the refresh button on the 2011-2012 apps over the past couple of weeks.
+1

volunteered at a hospital back in england for a year in 2001, built hospitals for a summer in africa, volunteered for half a year at a hospital in the usa. Shadowed a couple of physicians for a few weeks. Currently i design and carry out clinical trials on hiv vaccine.

Sadness. :(

this is such a stressful process. You really start to doubt yourself and your abilities until you've been validated from a few schools. This comes out in me by constantly checking these forums. I can't tell you how many times i've hit the refresh button on the 2011-2012 apps over the past couple of weeks.

+2

Why no love from Irvine?

My state hates me.

I'm sure youll get one (the automatic screen aint THAT bad). Unlike Davis, most of the other UC's seem to space their secondaries out so they don't overload your servers.

Why no love from Irvine?

My state hates me.

I'm still waiting on one too, im IS, 3.3 from a top 15 school notorious for grade deflation, 35S. Don't complain about getting no love from your own state, i've already been rejected from UC Davis, :laugh:
the next couple of months are going to be a crazy emotional rollercoaster, i suggest we all just try and hang in there

Last edited:
FYI -

MS1 grading has been P/F for a few years now. MS2 grading was switched to P/F last year...but it's just been reverted to H/P/F.

The kicker: "...will be considering reinstating such for MS1."

FYI -

MS1 grading has been P/F for a few years now. MS2 grading was switched to P/F last year...but it's just been reverted to H/P/F.

The kicker: "...will be considering reinstating such for MS1."
Lame. I don't want HONORS as an M1. I want to survive with my sanity! :scared:

Lame. I don't want HONORS as an M1. I want to survive with my sanity! :scared:

What exactly is honors?

We don't have that in the UK.

Do you get something special... like a cake? mmmmm... cake.

We do have something called a "senior scholar". When you become one you get to go to the "Scholar's Feast".

Food can be a profound motivator! Those were some mammoth feasts. :)

Last edited:
lots of people are still waiting for a secondary...
realize the thousands of people aren't on sdn!
:laugh:

Why no love from Irvine?

My state hates me.

What exactly is honors?

We don't have that in the UK.

Do you get something special... like a cake? mmmmm... cake.

We do have something called a "senior scholar". When you become one you get to go to the "Scholar's Feast".

Food can be a profound motivator! Those were some mammoth feasts. :)

It is a grading model.

Instead of being able to only pass or fail a class there is a 3rd level (Honors). Supposedly, schools that are P/F have more collaboration amongst students than schools who don't and the installment of an honors level awakens the competitive beasts in med students.

Hmm...trying to cut and paste my secondary essays into the UCI application. They're all less than (or at) 1800 characters, and the red type on the application page says so as well. When I try to save it though, it says "Data has not been saved. Over limit!" Has this happened to anyone else? Any word on what's going on?

Why no love from Irvine?

My state hates me.

Email the school. It's definitely not a pre-secondary rejection.

For those verified more recently, how long did it take to get the amcas confirmation email for UCI and the secondary?

Good luck everyone! I'm sure the interview invites will start rolling in within the next few weeks.

Hmm...trying to cut and paste my secondary essays into the UCI application. They're all less than (or at) 1800 characters, and the red type on the application page says so as well. When I try to save it though, it says "Data has not been saved. Over limit!" Has this happened to anyone else? Any word on what's going on?

got this taken care of...but now wondering if anyone else is still having the LOR issue where they don't show up as received?

my letters showed up, but i think there is a delay before they download them

got this taken care of...but now wondering if anyone else is still having the LOR issue where they don't show up as received?

I received the secondary almost two weeks ago, submitted it last week, and my LORs just showed up as being received today. I'd just give it some time. When I called they sounded like they were swamped

my letters showed up, but i think there is a delay before they download them
Do you have "Received" in the box? I am still seeing an empty box right now. When did you see yours show up?

Do you have "Received" in the box? I am still seeing an empty box right now. When did you see yours show up?

UCI marked letter "Received" the same day AMCAS received my letter...
but I never received a confirmation email about my file being complete though

Hey nucleophilic, I had this problem too and just figured it out by using Internet Explorer instead of Mozilla. For some reason, the character count in Mozilla doesn't match up with Internet Explorer's. Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Rejected pre-secondary.

No email, just a status update.

This process is so nerve-wracking.

Good luck folks!

Rejected pre-secondary.

No email, just a status update.

This process is so nerve-wracking.

Good luck folks!
wow really? an old post in this thread said you have a 3.8 and 35 MCAT and you're IS.

I can't figure out the screening process here. I have a 3.7 and 33 and I was one of the "automatic" secondary people.:confused: I thought that the automatic secondaries would have to be based on a simple numbers screen

Anyway, good luck with your other applications

wow really? an old post in this thread said you have a 3.8 and 35 MCAT and you're IS.

I can't figure out the screening process here. I have a 3.7 and 33 and I was one of the "automatic" secondary people.:confused: I thought that the automatic secondaries would have to be based on a simple numbers screen

Anyway, good luck with your other applications

Cheers.
Yeah, I don't know why I didn't even warrant a secondary.
It has me worried for sure. I'll call Monday and ask.

Cheers.
Yeah, I don't know why I didn't even warrant a secondary.
It has me worried for sure. I'll call Monday and ask.

Either way with ur numbers im sure youll get into a good school anyways. Lol at least i hope, bc my numbers are similar

Just checked my application status, and ... I got an interview invite! :)

congrats!

Thanks!

So they're working weekends?

What are your stats, and when were you verified?

Yeah, I was surprised to see that my application status was updated today. My AMCAS application was verified 6/9. Received secondary application 7/8 and submitted it 7/10. Application complete 7/14.

Here are my stats: Just graduated from UCLA last month with a BS in bioengineering. My numbers are pretty so-so. GPA: 3.7. MCAT: 32Q.

Thanks!

Yeah, I was surprised to see that my application status was updated today. My AMCAS application was verified 6/9. Received secondary application 7/8 and submitted it 7/10. Application complete 7/14.

Here are my stats: Just graduated from UCLA last month with a BS in bioengineering. My numbers are pretty so-so. GPA: 3.7. MCAT: 32Q.

Good to hear! Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.