2011-2012 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too, got the wait list letter today.

Members don't see this ad.

My status is Still Decision Pending... I wonder why they made a decision on some students and not others?

I'm sure you will get the status update by Tuesday, I bet the meeting has already occurred and they're just updating a few applicants at a time.

I also got the wait list letter today, 1st quartile!!! Really keeping my hopes high!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just crossing my fingers that the lack of status change does not signify a rejection!! Trying to stay optimistic!

I'm just crossing my fingers that the lack of status change does not signify a rejection!! Trying to stay optimistic!
I highly doubt it, They have to give you some sort of update, and like all other committee meetings, the updates are carried out until the Monday following the meeting. In any case, good luck!

My status is also "decision pending"...I have a bad feeling about this. I really hope they are planning to put more people on the waitlist.

I just remembered that i got rejected for their "fast track" program when I was coming out of high school. I got accepted this year. You think the bastards could have just accepted me 4 years ago, as it would have saved a lot of hassle

I just remembered that i got rejected for their "fast track" program when I was coming out of high school. I got accepted this year. You think the bastards could have just accepted me 4 years ago, as it would have saved a lot of hassle

Haha, same here. But those BS/MD programs are very competitive and only have a few seats. Tbh, I'm glad I didn't get in. Went where I wanted to go for undergrad and did some things I probably couldn't have done if I got in. Regardless, I'm coming back to Chicago now!

Hey guys! Is anyone else out there STILL "decision pending?"

I just called the Admissions office and asked about those who are still decision pending and they said they will make a decision soon and that we should continue to check the status online. Seems pretty vague

I am still decision pending and interviewed in December however a few of my friends who interviewed later in the cycle have already changed to "applicant is waitlisted".... did the rest of those who are decision pending interview earlier or later in the season?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still decision pending and interviewed in December however a few of my friends who interviewed later in the cycle have already changed to "applicant is waitlisted".... did the rest of those who are decision pending interview earlier or later in the season?
I interviewed at the end of March.

I just called the Admissions office and asked about those who are still decision pending and they said they will make a decision soon and that we should continue to check the status online. Seems pretty vague

Seems pretty confusing...unless they are planning on having another adcom meeting.

Late February.

It's offical...I'm rejected. No additional correspondence tab.

A final decision was made on your application on 05-31-12. Please allow two-weeks to receive the correspondence in the mail. If you do not receive this correspondence in two-weeks, please contact the Admissions Office. No decision will be given over the telephone.

From what I've read on here, yes. In order to receive an acceptance you need to have an additional correspondence tab.

Still doesn't help the heartbreak much. No one said the med-school application process would be so rough.

Hi, all! Been lurking for a while, but I finally have some information to add to the discussion!

I interviewed in early October and never heard much of anything except the occasional "we reserve the right not to decide until June" e-mail. Very disappointing, to say the least. 4 days ago, I got a letter saying I was in the first quartile of the alternate list (I guess everyone gets told they're in the first quartile? I don't know). Two days later, I received a call from Linda Singleton offering me a spot.

So I guess they say that they don't have a numbered list on the quartile. They pick by "best match" or something to that effect. My last name is Ackerman, so given the short turnaround between alternate list and acceptance, it sure looks like they chose me alphabetically? I hope that's just a coincidence, but won't look a gift horse in the mouth!

The other relevant detail is that (as one might expect) the Chicago campus is filled, so I chose an offer for the Peoria campus in the UPR track. I will be filing a petition for transfer, but I do not expect it to succeed.

That's my two cents for those seeking timing, alternate list and campus availability information. If this post is somehow in the wrong place, my apologies. I'm new

I will be withdrawing my spot so maybe one of you will get it

Hi all,

I'll be starting at the Chicago campus this fall. Anybody know what apartment buildings med students typically live in? I'm a native Chicagoan and pretty familiar with the different neighborhoods here but I want to get a feel for where I can find a group of med students for study parties and what not.

For M1's going through the UPR track, does anyone have a list of textbooks we'll need? I'd like to get a jump on finding cheap textbooks if I can.

Hi all,

I'll be starting at the Chicago campus this fall. Anybody know what apartment buildings med students typically live in? I'm a native Chicagoan and pretty familiar with the different neighborhoods here but I want to get a feel for where I can find a group of med students for study parties and what not.

Check the Facebook group, there are tons of people looking for roommates/apartments and they seem to be focused on Little Italy and University Village.

For M1's going through the UPR track, does anyone have a list of textbooks we'll need? I'd like to get a jump on finding cheap textbooks if I can.
I just went on a tour with a current UPR track student at Urbana today. She recommended holding off on text books because there are a lot of them you won't use. She is working on a text book list based on her experiences and those of last years M1 class that will go out to all of the incoming UPR track student via email. Someone in the student affairs office told me hold off on text books as well.

I just went on a tour with a current UPR track student at Urbana today. She recommended holding off on text books because there are a lot of them you won't use. She is working on a text book list based on her experiences and those of last years M1 class that will go out to all of the incoming UPR track student via email. Someone in the student affairs office told me hold off on text books as well.

Fantastic, very helpful! Thanks!

Even though I will take your advice, for reference I did peruse the syllabi of a handful of M1 courses on the website. Many of them require passwords (which I don't have, since I just sent off my acceptance paperwork a few hours ago), but a couple were open to the public. Some limited info is there (http://www.med.illinois.edu/students/m1/) if anyone else is interested. I'm sure this is news to nobody :D

I just got off the wait list (Yay). So there is movement on the wait list, though I got the impression that there weren't a lot of spots left. I was told that there are 1-2 spots in Chicago and 5-6 for Peoria.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.

Got accepted off the wait list this Tuesday as well!!!!! Just submitted all the paperwork! I was also told that there are a few Chicago and Peoria seats which would be given on a first come first serve basis.

I also had a question for those that are already accepted: when exactly did you withdraw your your other acceptances? I haven't yet because I'm just waiting on an acceptance confirmation from uic, but I'm worried that it would take time and I don't want that to become a hindrance...

Congrats, guys!

UIC keeps offering admissions throughout the summer. One of my classmates got a call less than a week before orientation started in August.

I just got off the wait list (Yay). So there is movement on the wait list, though I got the impression that there weren't a lot of spots left. I was told that there are 1-2 spots in Chicago and 5-6 for Peoria.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.

Anybody else off the wait list hear back yet? I'm just confused as to how there could be that many "spots" and why UIC wouldn't have called people to fill those spots. Just a little anxious here haha

I sent in the paperwork last week and still haven't heard back from them either.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows any information about the PAP (post bacc admissions program). I interviewed at UIC and was rejected and then offered an application to this program. Very recently I was accepted and now I'm facing the difficult task of moving from a major city on the east coast to Chicago. I have spoken with the admissions committee and I know about the program structure but I am not sure about other details such as class size and where classes and program activities will be held. If anyone is aware of this program can you elaborate on the details and better yet, if any of you are part of the program could you contact me! I very much would like to know more about it....Also any tips on apartment hunting in Chicago with less than two months to the beginning of the program would be greatly appreciated!

Hello guys!
Congratulations to those of you who recently got accepted! I am in the last week of completing the SPP program and I must say I've loved the school, the people and the city and I look forward to meeting you all next month! :)

For those of you who may be interested, I am looking for a female housemate to share a 2 Bedroom/1 Bath nice apt. on W Taylor st. 10 min walk from UIC-COM and the Pink line. Apt has a spacious living room, hard-wood floors, a kitchen with it's dishwasher, refrigerator, microwave, oven and stove. An in-unit washer and dryer, central AC/Heat, shared deck off the back, and separated bedrooms. It is in a recently renovated, quiet building and is located on a 2nd floor. The rent is 1400$ a month (includes water and garbage disposal services) and each person would pay around 800$ (or less) a month to cover for the other living expenses as gas, electric, etc.

Anyone who might be interested, PM me and I can send you pictures!

Again congratulations! and Thanks!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.