2011-2012 University of Kentucky Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?
2. What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?
3. Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?
4. Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful.
5. In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients' emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?
6. Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.
7. Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Surprised I'm the first one. Where's the KU love?

Well, it looks like I'm going to U of K then! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it looks like I'm going to U of K then! ;)

Lived near lexington for years, and my wife went there (undergrad) so I've applied even if I'm not 100% sure I want to move back.

I guess it will be a class of 2, nice to meet you HokieMD!

Likewise! I have family from the area so Im hoping not to be written off right away.

Also, it looks like the first round of secondaries were sent out around July 20 last year. Hopefully we'll see the same thing.

I'm applying to UK too! My family might disown me though if I get accepted! (not UK fans in the slightest)

I'm putting in. OOS. Hoping for some SEC brotherhood

Thanks, y'all - same to you

I'm currently an SEC student, though not at U of K .. I'll be a Dawg regardless, ha

Has all turned in AMCAS? I am still working on it, won't have it turned in until mid-July. Hopefully that is still a good time to turn in.
Anyone applying Early Decision?

Has anyone gotten a secondary from UK? It should be open any day now but I haven't gotten an email from them yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
The secondaries should be out later this week. My family is moving from Knoxville to Lexington in September, so I emailed them to see if I could be given instate status as an applicant, and was told that the secondaries will be sent this week! Good luck to everyone and hopefully we'll all be classmates!

Just got it . . .OOS, though with significant family in KY. I e-mailed them after submitting the primary to respectfully ask for consideration.

How long are you guys making your responses? They don't seem to impose a character limit. I'm tempted to shoot for 5-7 sentences just because there's not much to say for some of them.

That is about how long mine are. There is no need to write for days and days. Brevity is a virtue!

Yes they do Mogeyman. If you are strictly OOS you better have a pretty strong application!

I am an international student but I have family in Kentucky... how do I note the admissions office of this?

Is this anyone else's top choice? Submitted my secondary last night!

Can someone post the Secondary questions of this year? That would be really helpful!

1. How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?
2. What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?
3. Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?
4. Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful.
5. In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients' emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?
6. Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.
7. Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

OOS Essay:
This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points:

a) Reasons for selecting a medical career;
b) Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;
c) Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,
d) Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
e) Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.

(I did not see character/word limits in any instructions - someone correct me if that's wrong. The text boxes will let you paste very very long text fwiw, too. I wonder how long these typically are because that's a lotta essay!)

Anyone have a recommendation as to reapplying and resubmitting the same essays? I applied late last year and got an interview at kentucky late and was wait listed, so my essays were probably decent enough.

For OOS applicants, there's an additional essay not mentioned in this thread:

.This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points: .

• .Reasons for selecting a medical career;.
  • .Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;.
  • .Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,.
  • .Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine..
  • .Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc..

Really stuck in terms of how to write the OOS essay, since it's ALL in my PS...

I had a friend who submitted on the 18th and got an email with the secondary on the 20th. I submitted on the 20th and still nada. Neither of us are verified. What's going on with everyone else??

Also wondering what life's like in Lexington...been there once and it was prettyyyy :thumbup::) anyone familiar with the area?

Mine was sent automatically to spam...
SO check your spam folder. Hope that works.

Mine was spent to the spam folder in my gmail account as well. I had thought I was screened out.

I completed my secondary on the 19th, I didn't get it til late. I think it got lost somehow in cyberspace.

Luckily, the UK Admissions Board was so willing to help.

UK said they sent it to me on the 12th, but I never got it. They resent and I got it and finished it on the 19th.

Anyone applying to the UK Rural Track Program?

Last edited:
Has anyone have their file completed and screened? I am wondering how long it will take for the status on the secondary to change.

my status reads "file complete", submitted 7/26

someone from the admissions office called me weds to tell me to hurry up and finish my secondary because they are about to start reviewing them. so i would guess you could expect movement from your complete status beginning next week?

I submitted on the 27th, all recommendations in and AMCAS processed; status still says "secondary requested." Need to be patient.

Does UK screen?

OOS, yes, but all Kentucky applicants get a secondary.

I wrote quite long responses for some of the essays. I thought some of them asked for a lot of insight, actually.

Hey LK!! ;) I'm applying with you to RPLP as you already know. This is actually my first post on here. Hello to everyone. Does anyone know when the office starts emailing us for interview dates? I'm getting really excited!

I checked my status this morning, and it just went from "file complete" to "sent to screening." Should hear about interviews soon!!!

I checked my status this morning, and it just went from "file complete" to "sent to screening." Should hear about interviews soon!!!

I went to Screening today too

does anyone have any insight as to what lengths they're looking for here? i've written several other secondaries already, so i've really thought out a lot of stuff, and it's all up there ready to be wordvomited out, so my answers are not short. and with 8 essays (I'm OOS) that's a LOT of text... i feel like i need to shorten some of this but i don't know what i should be aiming for at all...

My status just changed to "Interview(s) to be scheduled." Yay!!!! Should be getting an email soon with the official date!

^ Just called admissions to ask. Apparently that means that I've been screened in for an interview and an email with interview dates will be emailed shortly.

Ditto! Wooooooo!!

Just received a confirmation email for my interview session.

October 14th/15th

Just got my interview invite an hour ago!! I'm interviewing October 14th/15th for RPLP! :D

Hey guys, I am a brand new M1 (just had orientation this week, our first block starts Monday) at UKCOM. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, either here or via PM. Obviously, I've only been here a week, so I'm more knowledgeable about some topics than others but admissions related questions should be no problem.

Hey guys, I am a brand new M1 (just had orientation this week, our first block starts Monday) at UKCOM. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, either here or via PM. Obviously, I've only been here a week, so I'm more knowledgeable about some topics than others but admissions related questions should be no problem.

Thank you for offering your help!

I would like to ask for some tips on UK interviewing?

Thank you for offering your help!

I would like to ask for some tips on UK interviewing?

Assuming there are no major changes, on interview day you will arrive in the morning and listen to a short presentation. The interviewers will come in and introduce themselves, and you will then have two interviews. Both of my interviewers were physicians, but there are medical students on the admissions committee, so you may have a student interviewer. After completing both interviews (30-45 minutes each), you will have lunch with some current students (mostly M2s) who can answer any questions you might have. After lunch, those students will take you on a tour of the facilities and then you are done. I believe if you interview on a weekday, you may also have the option of sitting in on one of the M1 or M2 classes.

The interviewers are not there to make you stressed or trick you with difficult questions, they are there to learn more about you and your motivations. From what I could tell, the interviews were open file; that is, they have access to most or all parts of your application. One of my interviewers asked some pretty specific questions based on my activities and personal statement/secondary application essays, so I would suggest that a day or two before you interview spend a little bit of time refreshing your memory of what you wrote. Be honest and pleasant and try to enjoy the experience.

I found it helpful for all of my interviews to prepare in advance for the commonly asked questions (Why medicine? Why this school? etc.). You want to sound natural, so don't memorize any answers, but think about the important points you want to address for each question. Do some research on UK before you come; website, current students if possible. Try to determine how your goals match up with the mission/goals of the school and find particular aspects of the school that interest you. The interview day is also an opportunity to see if UK is the right fit for you, so if you have any questions that would help you determine that, ask!

If you haven't already, check out the interview feedback page. Best of luck with your interviews!

Status
Not open for further replies.