2011-2012 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important in you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. You may either upload a file from your computer or type your statement in the space provided. (1200 word limit)

The learning environment of the medical school is enhanced by the inclusion of students with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences prior to medical school. What in your background or your experiences will uniquely contribute to this learning environment? (500 word limit)

Please discuss a challenging situation that you faced in the past. Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn? (500 word limit)

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Very excited about Vanderbilt. Good luck to everyone! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Vanderbilt is awesome. Still won't be applying here though :laugh:. I can give a tour of the ugrad campus when you come interview if you like. GL guys :thumbup:.

Anyone know how strict they are about meeting the prerequisite inorganic chemistry courses before end of fall? Are exceptions occasionally made, like at some other schools (e.g. Emory)?

what are the grading system and interviews like?

what are the grading system and interviews like?

According to the medical school catalog (p. 45), first year is P/F, second year is H/P/F, third and fourth years are H/HP/P/F. (http://www.vanderbilt.edu/catalogs/medical/Medical_Catalog.pdf#prog).

In terms of interviews, Vanderbilt is great because they send out secondaries and interview invites at the same time. You have to submit the secondary online and then you can schedule your interview. Usually you can sign up for a morning or afternoon interview time. The day includes an info session, tour, lunch, and your interview (I was only there for about 4 hours). My interview was really chill (this may depend on your interviewer, obviously) and lasted for 45min-1 hour. I felt like it was definitely more of a conversation than a Q & A session. My interviewer and I spent 10 minutes talking about a country we both studied abroad in, so you get the picture.

- an incoming M1

Last edited:
Since secondaries = interview invite, do they not send out secondaries until your letters of evaluation are in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Since secondaries = interview invite, do they not send out secondaries until your letters of evaluation are in?

Website says "Please designate Vanderbilt School of Medicine as one of the institutions assigned to receive your letters when you submit your primary AMCAS application.*

*Note that failure to send to AMCAS will delay application."

I'm thinking yes?

but like other schools, will they still review you FOR the potential interview/secondary based on just the primary?

does their secondary have an essay?

Yes, and they are long. The admissions committee came to talk to undergrads last year, and they said that the secondaries are very important to them. Moral of the story: take your time and make it quality. GL guys :luck:

Looking at last years secondaries, Vandys essays are definitely hardcore. The good thing is they come automatically with an interview!

Does anyone know when the first interview invites/secondaries started going out last year? Love Vandy! :thumbup:

Oh, Vanderbilt :love:

My dream school.

I will write as many essays as they need *swoon*

Just to clarify, as I've seen a few people ask, here's VUSM's grading stance:

Grading Policy for Vanderbilt University School of Medicine The Vanderbilt University School of Medicine has established a series of learning objectives for its educational program that can be clustered into the following categories: (1) knowledge, (2) skills in accessing information, (3) skills for the diagnosis and management of patient problems, (4) clinical reasoning skills, (5) skills in communication and interpersonal relations, (6) professional development and (7) professional values. The achievement of these educational objectives defines the successful development of the physician-in-training and occurs during the course of a student's progress in medical school.

All Years

Students will be evaluated on both acquisition of knowledge and skills as well as professional development and values. Appropriate professional values are expected of medical students throughout all stages of professional training. In the category of professional values, students will be evaluated in each course as meeting standards, cause for some concern, or cause for major concern. Any student causing any level of concern should be promptly identified and brought to the attention of the Associate Dean for Students so that counseling can be initiated. A student for whom major concern persists will be given a failing grade (F) for the course without regard to performance in other categories. Such students are subject to dismissal. If some concern is noted in more than one course and persists after counseling, this student will be automatically reviewed by the promotions committee and will be subject to dismissal.
A grade of Incomplete is to be used only to reflect that work has not been completed and should not be used when work has been completed, but at an unsatisfactory level and requiring remediation.

VMS 1 Final grades for all courses in VMS1 will be Pass (P), Pass* (P*), or Fail (F). A P grade is to be given to students for performance that is completely satisfactory in all aspects of course work. A grade of P* will be given to students whose performance is marginal because of important deficiencies in some aspects of course work. A student with two or more P* grades will receive special review by the Promotion Committee, which may recommend that the student undertake remedial activities. The P* grade may be applicable for academic credit in an individual course only after approval by the student's Promotion Committee and endorsement by the Executive Faculty as reviewed in light of the student's complete record for the year. Upon receiving such approval, the P* grade will be recorded on the official transcript as a P. In the absence of such approval, the P* grade will be recorded on the official transcript as an F. An F grade is given for unsatisfactory work resulting in failure. A student with one or more F grades will receive special review by the Promotion Committee. Such a student will be required to undertake remedial activities or be subject to dismissal. An F grade will remain on the student's official transcript along with the grade achieved in remediation.

VMS 2 Final grades for all courses in VMS2 will be Honors (H), Pass (P), Pass* (P*), or Fail (F). An H grade for a course is to be given to students for superior performance in all aspects of the course. A student must meet standards in all categories of professional values to be given an H grade. Honors grades will be awarded according to criteria established by individual course directors, such that approximately 25% of a class would receive an honors grade.Other grades are defined as for VMS1.

VMS 3 & 4

Faculty and House Staff Assessments of Students. Faculty and house staff providing primary evaluations of students will not recommend letter grades. The evaluation provided by faculty and house staff will provide (1) assessments of the frequency with which each student demonstrates behavior in the various categories subject to evaluation, (2) narrative comments, and (3) an evaluation of suitability for appointment to residency on the service.

Determining Clerkship Grades. Students will receive a grade for each category of learning objectives and a final course grade. For the categories other than Values, discussed above, and for the final grade, each student will be graded Honors (H), High Pass (HP), Pass (P), Pass* (P*), or Fail (F).

Determining Grades for Categories: An H grade will be given to students demonstrating superior achievement in a category. A HP grade will be given to students demonstrating better than average, but not superior achievement in a category. A P grade will be given to students demonstrating completely satisfactory performance in a category. A grade of P* will be given to students whose achievement in a category is marginal. An F grade will be given for unsatisfactory achievement in a category. A student receiving an F in any category must receive an F for the clerkship.

Determining Clerkship Grades:
An H grade will be given to students for superior or outstanding achievement in all of the categories. Ordinarily, honors grades will be given to no more than 25% of a class. A HP grade will be given to students with superior achievement in several, but not all categories. A P grade will be given to students who demonstrate satisfactory achievement in all categories.A grade of P* will be given to students whose performance is marginal because of important deficiencies in some aspects of course work. The P* grade may be applicable for academic credit in an individual course only after approval by the student's Promotion Committee and endorsement by the Executive Faculty as reviewed in light of the student's complete record for the year. Upon receiving such approval, the P* grade will be recorded on the official transcript as a P. In the absence of such approval, the P* grade will be recorded on the official transcript as an F. An F grade is given for unsatisfactory work resulting in failure. A student receiving an F in any individual category must receive an F for the clerkship. Similarly, a student with concerns in the area of Professional Values is subject to receiving an F grade based on the criteria defined above.

Requirements for Satisfactory Progress in the Clinical Years. Promotion in the clinical years requires not only satisfactory performance in each clerkship, but also satisfactory achievement in each of the six categories of learning objectives and in the area of professional values. An F or P* grade in a course will lead to special review by the Promotions Committee. A P* grade in the same category in more than two courses will also lead to special review by the Promotions Committee. Promotion Committees may require students with F or P* grades in categories or courses to undertake special remedial activities. Students with an F in one clerkship, P* s in two clerkships, or P* s in the same category in three clerkships are subject to dismissal after review by the Promotion Committee. The criteria for professional values described above are also applicable in the clinical years.

A secondary from Vandy is an automatic interview. I am sure they are thoroughly checking every applicants information a couple of times before making a decision.

Just got an email telling me my AMCAS application had been received. I got really excited when I saw it, but it turned out to be nothing.

heart rate went up seeing this thread jump :)

So they only snail mail secondary/interview invites. I wonder if they only reject via snail mail as well? If so, that's got to be a terrifying moment, opening a letter from vandy

I wonder how the snail mail thing will work when I'm living on Vanderbilt campus...Seems like a waste of money to me ;)

So they only snail mail secondary/interview invites. I wonder if they only reject via snail mail as well? If so, that's got to be a terrifying moment, opening a letter from vandy

Hey guys, just thought I'd pop in. Last year, despite very clear statements that the admissions office only sent secondaries/invites via snail mail, many applicants got an email with the secondary link and invite. The e-mail contained a scanned copy of the snail mail letter along with a link to the invite. I'm not sure if this was a one-time mix up or what, but just so you know that is a possibility.

Sorry to add to the neuroticism. Best of luck!

Hey guys, just thought I'd pop in. Last year, despite very clear statements that the admissions office only sent secondaries/invites via snail mail, many applicants got an email with the secondary link and invite. The e-mail contained a scanned copy of the snail mail letter along with a link to the invite. I'm not sure if this was a one-time mix up or what, but just so you know that is a possibility.

Sorry to add to the neuroticism. Best of luck!

Good to know, thanks! I think info like this actually helps reduce panic, rather than have people flip out if some start getting that email.

Yeah... this email seriously freaked me out. Anyway, I am assuming that this is the first that anyone is hearing from Vanderbilt? My AMCAS was verified 6/2 and I hadn't heard anything from them until today.

Yeah... this email seriously freaked me out. Anyway, I am assuming that this is the first that anyone is hearing from Vanderbilt? My AMCAS was verified 6/2 and I hadn't heard anything from them until today.
Same verification date and yeah, first I have heard as well. I heard directly from Dean Zic's mouth that they were aiming for the first week of August to send out interview invites. :thumbup:

So does anyone know if they will send rejection mail as early as August too or postpone that a few months?

Same verification date and yeah, first I have heard as well. I heard directly from Dean Zic's mouth that they were aiming for the first week of August to send out interview invites. :thumbup:

Great information!

I received that email as well. I was totally stoked until I actually read. Don't you love it when schools email you to tell you that they're going to email you? My UG does that all the time and drives me nuts.

Great information!

I received that email as well. I was totally stoked until I actually read. Don't you love it when schools email you to tell you that they're going to email you? My UG does that all the time and drives me nuts.
Yeah that is really annoying!

And I am a fan of the avatar change... Really pulling for them eh? ;)

Hey, you've got to be true for yourself! It's in anticipation of next week. :xf::xf:

MSTP applicant here who also got the email. does the secondary = II apply to us as well? :)

MSTP applicant here who also got the email. does the secondary = II apply to us as well? :)

I don't think so. I'm not MSTP, but I know that all MSTP applicants had to complete a secondary last year. I think the secondary=interview rule only applies to regular MD applicants.

Got the email too. I was super excited...and then I read it. Oh well, at least I know they got my AMCAS safely.

It does not. The email that we got says that they will review the secondary and LoRs before deciding on interview invites.

Hey, you've got to be true for yourself! It's in anticipation of next week. :xf::xf:

Watch out, Mayo is an alluring siren. She captured my heart and had me gazing at her beautiful, hallowed halls just to crush me.

Status
Not open for further replies.