2011 Match results!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeapmr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Matched !!

Members don't see this ad.

"Congratulations, you have matched!" :D

Well, let me be the first to say I did not match. Its scramble time! Wheeeeee!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear the bad news, toothless and myPsychAlt. I hope your schools are going to pitch properly, make calls, and do what they can to help you find a happy home.

29 spots is at least encouraging. I originally saw only 4 open in the entire country and then realized that it was for PGY2. (thank god)

btw, Peppy, if you're out there, I hope you know that I immediately thought of your story as soon as I got the email. Better times are ahead.

Do you know where those 4 PGY 2 spots are? Thanks

Did all the med-psych programs match?

So where are the unfilled spots?

29 spots seems like a lot, no?

Yeah. I think there were 16 last year. I wonder what accounted for the increase in competitiveness last year, and the subsequent drop this year. I had heard anecdotally along the interview trail that, while still increasingly competitive, this year saw a bit of a downswing in the number of applicants. Wonder why. Good news (well, relatively speaking) for the scramblers, I suppose.

Matched, btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think using open spots is a bad indication of competition since it takes into account programs' mistakes as well as applicants. The sky has been falling here for a couple years because of the small amount of open spots.

Yeah. I think there were 16 last year.
Correct. And 11 in 2009.
I wonder what accounted for the increase in competitiveness last year, and the subsequent drop this year.
In 2010, there were 1,091 psychiatry residency positions offered. Assuming it's roughly the same amount this year, that means scramble-able spots being 1.5% in 2010 and 2.7% this year. A difference of a little over 1% of the spots doesn't seem to be that big a thing statistically. Though if you're in the group scambling, this is good news indeed. Every spot improves your odds.
I had heard anecdotally along the interview trail that, while still increasingly competitive, this year saw a bit of a downswing in the number of applicants.
Most programs I interviewed at reported "record numbers" but then again that may mean that those who didn't brag about that fact saw a decline in applicants.

I do know that most of the folks I talked to on the interview trail from California programs reported lower numbers of their class going into psych this year compared to last.

Congrats, everyone! I matched somewhere also. And am trying to throw a birthday-slash-first anniversary-slash-match day-slash-St. Patrick's day party on Thursday. We'll see which of our friends chooses that over getting sloshed at an Irish pub. :)

Congrats, everyone! I matched somewhere also. And am trying to throw a birthday-slash-first anniversary-slash-match day-slash-St. Patrick's day party on Thursday. We'll see which of our friends chooses that over getting sloshed at an Irish pub. :)

I fail to see how these are mutually exclusive choices... :luck:

I matched somewhere also. And am trying to throw a birthday-slash-first anniversary-slash-match day-slash-St. Patrick's day party on Thursday. We'll see which of our friends chooses that over getting sloshed at an Irish pub. :)
You can try doing what I'm doing: throwing the Match Day party in an Irish pub and getting sloshed there. Win-win!

Our class actually planned our party to be at an Irish Pub, with green beer and the whole bit. We have no official letter opening because it's not PC at a DO school to do so.

Congrats to those who matched and best of luck to those who are scrambling.

You can try doing what I'm doing: throwing the Match Day party in an Irish pub and getting sloshed there. Win-win!

Unfortunately, the nearby pubs on Thursday are going to be too crowded to just go and too expensive to rent a private space. That would work on most other nights, though. Have fun at your party!

29 spots is at least encouraging. I originally saw only 4 open in the entire country and then realized that it was for PGY2. (thank god)

btw, Peppy, if you're out there, I hope you know that I immediately thought of your story as soon as I got the email. Better times are ahead.

Very sorry to hear you received this disappointing news, but I'm glad that you found some consolation in what I've posted here. Good luck tomorrow to both you and toothless rufus. :luck:
I'm a believer in "things happen for a reason". For a while after I didn't match, you better believe I was sad and angry about what happened. Looking back now, though, things did work out in the end and I wouldn't trade the experiences I've had or the people I've met along the way. I know you'll get to where you want to be too!

Is there any way to see the list of unfilled spots or do you have to be registered for the match?

Is there any way to see the list of unfilled spots or do you have to be registered for the match?

Not officially. Scramble applicants get to see it, and word does leak out. The official list isn't released to everyone until I think after match results are out.

Anyway, congrats to the people who matched. I remember it feeling like forever to get to Thursday. For the people who didn't, good luck tomorrow! 29 spots is a lot more than last year, so that's a good thing. Also, other doors can open up. I have a friend who didn't match in psych last year, and she wound up finding a spot after the scramble.

Sooo if last years match results are any indication, then there will be approximately 1000 applicants vying for 29 spots. Ummm...those are some odds, yo. Ugh.

Sooo if last years match results are any indication, then there will be approximately 1000 applicants vying for 29 spots. Ummm...those are some odds, yo. Ugh.
The odds aren't as bad as they initially look.

Last year, there were 1091 positions offered and a total of 2,068 applicants. That looks like close to 1000 applicants, but the data is misleading.

Keep in mind that the big majority of those 1000 were international and offshore applicants, many of whom use psychiatry as one of multiple specialties they apply to. The 1,000 people who did not match in psych doesn't take into account that many of them did not want to match into psych. They won't be scrambling.

From reading SDN for the past several years, most folks who try to scramble into psych end up finding a home somewhere.

Fingers tightly crossed for all those scrambling tomorrow. Post and let us know what you come out with. Hope everyone finds someplace they'll love.

Matched. Now the interminable dripping of time until Thursday. Congrats to everyone else getting good news today. And best wishes to those who are scrambling right now. I sincerely hope it works out even better for you.

Matched. Couples style..

Good Luck myPsychAlt & toothless rufus...I don't have to tell you it sucks. Sincerely hope it works out for the both of you.

If there is any way to find out which programs went unfilled, would someone PM me. I submitted through ERAS but wasn't fortunate enough to get any interviews. The NRMP site is giving me trouble and I'm feeling helpless.

I hope all is working out for everyone and appreciate any help.

thanks

I cant even get the list. Internal error or blank

If there is any way to find out which programs went unfilled, would someone PM me.
I cant even get the list. Internal error or blank
My condolences to those scrambling right now. According to folks on the ERAS/NRMP sub-forum, the ERAS site has been down for much of the morning so most folks have still not been able to see the list of unfilled programs. Folks who accessed it likely will not be distributing it, as doing so is a NRMP match violation and that would be extremely bad juju.

Terrible timing and ERAS/NRMP will have a lot to answer for when the dust settles. So sorry for folks struggling with the scramble right now.

My condolences to those scrambling right now. According to folks on the ERAS/NRMP sub-forum, the ERAS site has been down for much of the morning so most folks have still not been able to see the list of unfilled programs. Folks who accessed it likely will not be distributing it, as doing so is a NRMP match violation and that would be extremely bad juju.

Terrible timing and ERAS/NRMP will have a lot to answer for when the dust settles. So sorry for folks struggling with the scramble right now.

true. I still don't have the list of unfilled spots and feel helpless. I fear that I overlooked something and won't know where the few psych spots are (or even prelim surgery/medicine positions). If anyone could help me I would appreciate it greatly. I applied through ERAS but did not have any interviews (my application was completed a little too late in the process I think). I was hoping to, at the very least, submit my application to the psych programs and at the same time try and find a one-year deal (29 spots is nothing to bank on ;]).

again, good luck to all. Please PM me if you could provide me with any info re: open spots.

take care

a very long and stressful day, but I now have a spot, in a program that I'm VERY happy with. (will of course say where on thursday). I've earned a beer today. Thank god for my school for getting the list printed before the **** hit the fan today.

a very long and stressful day, but I now have a spot, in a program that I'm VERY happy with. (will of course say where on thursday). I've earned a beer today. Thank god for my school for getting the list printed before the **** hit the fan today.

Congrats!!! Very happy for you!

Any in TX since you've previewed this list?

I'm being cyber bully'd by the NRMP. argh.

Just wanted to post an update: no luck in the scramble for me.

toothless rufus: :( I don't know exactly how the Scramble goes but I sincerely hope something happens today to change your situation

Way to go, myPsychAlt (by the way, my girlfriend loves your avatar)

Congratulations to everyone else!

Just wanted to post an update: no luck in the scramble for me.

Sorry. :( I have a friend who had to scramble in psych last year, and she wound up finding a position in May at a program that added a new intern spot. Things like that happen, too. My advice would be to not try to scramble into something like family if you're still deadset on psych.

toothless rufus: :( I don't know exactly how the Scramble goes but I sincerely hope something happens today to change your situation

Way to go, myPsychAlt (by the way, my girlfriend loves your avatar)

Congratulations to everyone else!

Sorry. :( I have a friend who had to scramble in psych last year, and she wound up finding a position in May at a program that added a new intern spot. Things like that happen, too. My advice would be to not try to scramble into something like family if you're still deadset on psych.

Thanks. I have nobody to blame except myself. Hopefully somehow I can strengthen my app for next cycle or some opportunity presents itself. No way did I try to scramble into anything else: I love psychiatry! It's psychiatry or nothing! Or just nothing, haha!

Just wondering: Can you screw yourself out of a spot by ranking them wrong?

Last edited: