2011 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Happy New Year's Non-Trads!!! 2010 has been good to us, hopefully 2011 will be even better. :)

I checked in on the regular undergrad MD forums and for the holiday they are talking house parties and hittin' up clubs. I assume like most non-trads, I am at home, curled up with the dog, my loved one, and a quality beer. I hope y'all are having as good of a time as I!

All my best!!!

As always. 4/10 for life. (Had to be said. :cool:)

I'm with ya ChicagoSL! Comfy sweats, good beer, loved ones (human and furry) and Kaplan MCAT prep. What a party:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Happy New Year's Non-Trads!!! 2010 has been good to us, hopefully 2011 will be even better. :)

I checked in on the regular undergrad MD forums and for the holiday they are talking house parties and hittin' up clubs. I assume like most non-trads, I am at home, curled up with the dog, my loved one, and a quality beer. I hope y'all are having as good of a time as I!

All my best!!!

As always. 4/10 for life. (Had to be said. :cool:)

4/10 dominating the app cycle with grace, dignity and.... BEER. Gotta love that sweet action!

Happy New Year All,

I hope that 2011 is a great year for us all!

Cheers,
Mind

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy New Year All,

I hope that 2011 is a great year for us all!

Cheers,
Mind

I was just accepted into Oklahoma State University. This is in my home town of Tulsa, where I already own a house and where the state will pay me unemployment during my first two years of school (because my job was outsourced to India). I am very pleased.

I was just accepted into Oklahoma State University. This is in my home town of Tulsa, where I already own a house and where the state will pay me unemployment during my first two years of school (because my job was outsourced to India). I am very pleased.

Congrats, Ed! That sounds like pretty much the ideal situation.

Congrats! Always good to hear when things work out like that. Good luck.

Congrats, Ed, I knew you'd do it! When you have some time, please post your success story for the other premeds. (Links to the success threads are in the forum sticky.) People like to read all the nontrad stories, but especially the stories of "extreme" nontrads like you!

And actually, that request goes for all of you who have been accepted and still not posted your stories. Please give back and inspire future premeds like previous applicants have done for you.

This thread has been pretty quiet; how have all of you been? I'm done interviewing here, still working on my rank list. I have pretty much decided where I hope to go, although it's a tough decision between my #1 and #2. The good news though is that I would be ecstatic to end up at either of them (and also would be ecstatic to end up at my #3 or #4, for that matter!) The osteo match is next week already, and then March 17 (allo match day) is coming up fast. Then three months from now, I will be an MD/PhD. :eek:

Alright!! Congrats!! :D I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how things were going.

Congrats, Ed, I knew you'd do it! When you have some time, please post your success story for the other premeds. (Links to the success threads are in the forum sticky.) People like to read all the nontrad stories, but especially the stories of "extreme" nontrads like you!

And actually, that request goes for all of you who have been accepted and still not posted your stories. Please give back and inspire future premeds like previous applicants have done for you.

This thread has been pretty quiet; how have all of you been? I'm done interviewing here, still working on my rank list. I have pretty much decided where I hope to go, although it's a tough decision between my #1 and #2. The good news though is that I would be ecstatic to end up at either of them (and also would be ecstatic to end up at my #3 or #4, for that matter!) The osteo match is next week already, and then March 17 (allo match day) is coming up fast. Then three months from now, I will be an MD/PhD. :eek:

Q, Match day is coming up in a few weeks. How many places are you ranking?

This thread has been pretty quiet; how have all of you been?
It's been quiet because posting bad news is just not as exciting as good news. :rolleyes:

I got rejected from my local state school, which was a possibility that I was prepared for given OHSU's famous penchant for reapplicants. I had known that going into the application cycle, which is why I chose to apply so narrowly this year. Although, my interviews seemed to go well enough that I was lulled into a sense of complacency, and so it was still a stinging surprise. It is so frustrating to be told that I did not demonstrate enough commitment to medicine. OTOH, I am glad they rejected me quickly, instead of stringing me along until May or on a waitlist all summer. At least it was a clean kill. :smuggrin:

Also, last night I got the final (really final) rejection from UCSF. They were kind enough to hold my appeal and give it due consideration, but eventually all the other interview slots were given away to other candidates. So that was that. They are such a dream/longshot school for me that, rather than feel indignant, I just find myself feeling grateful that they would even give someone like me such a long serious look. Also, they were just so incredibly pleasant to deal with every time I would call or email. :love:

Now I can regroup and get my application together for the upcoming cycle. :thumbup:
I'm done interviewing here, still working on my rank list. I have pretty much decided where I hope to go, although it's a tough decision between my #1 and #2. The good news though is that I would be ecstatic to end up at either of them (and also would be ecstatic to end up at my #3 or #4, for that matter!) The osteo match is next week already, and then March 17 (allo match day) is coming up fast. Then three months from now, I will be an MD/PhD. :eek:
Options! You haz dem! :D

May you have the Luck o' the Irish this St. Paddy's Day! :luck:

The osteo match is next week already, and then March 17 (allo match day) is coming up fast. Then three months from now, I will be an MD/PhD. :eek:

Q, I'm confused. Are you participating in the Osteo match? I was under the impression that the DO match is exclusive, but the MD is not.

BTW, I haven't ever asked this question. How do the DO's participate in both the MD and DO processes? Aren't both of them binding contracts?

BTW, I haven't ever asked this question. How do the DO's participate in both the MD and DO processes? Aren't both of them binding contracts?
They're both binding, and the DO match comes first. If you match in the DO match, you're automatically withdrawn from the ACGME match. I don't know specifically what "automatically withdrawn" means.

There are some in-depth discussions of how this works in the osteo forum.

Best of luck to you.

Q, Match day is coming up in a few weeks. How many places are you ranking?
All of them. ;)

It's been quiet because posting bad news is just not as exciting as good news. :rolleyes:
Sorry, Dianyla. :(

Did they give you any suggestions about what you should do to show increased interest?
Q, I'm confused. Are you participating in the Osteo match? I was under the impression that the DO match is exclusive, but the MD is not.
No, you're right. I'm not in the DO match. I just know DOs who are in it. :)

Basically what DrMidlife says.

Thanks a lot for writing up your story, BTW. Very inspiring. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for writing up your story, BTW. Very inspiring. :thumbup:

It actually seems like more of a confession. Maybe I ought to get that new iPhone app where you can confess and get shriven by tapping on your phone. Bless me, Father Gates, for I have sinned. I bought an Android.

It actually seems like more of a confession. Maybe I ought to get that new iPhone app where you can confess and get shriven by tapping on your phone. Bless me, Father Gates, for I have sinned. I bought an Android.
Dude. Didn't you do software?
iPhone: Jobs.
Android: Brin.
Winmobile up until maybe 4 years ago: Gates.

Also: congrats.

Dude. Didn't you do software?
iPhone: Jobs.
Android: Brin.
Winmobile up until maybe 4 years ago: Gates.

Also: congrats.

Uh, yeah. I knew that. I've been trying to forget everything to do with IT. I'm obviously succeeding.

I guess I'll update here. Its been a while and a lot has happened. Overall I had 7 applications, 6 interview invites and 3 acceptances. I get to move back home and I'm excited to be living really close to the out doors. Congrats to everyone who has gotten in. To everyone else I hope that things continue to move in a positive direction and don't give up if it is your dream.

Last edited:
Just certified my rank order list. I will find out if I matched on March 14, and where I matched on March 17.

Fortunately, I have two manuscripts to work on, and some PSes to read that this summer's applicants are sending me. I also need to do the AAMC exit survey. But at the moment, I'm just too brain dead to read anything and have it be coherent. I think I should stop now and live for another day. :D

Finished my first draft for personal statement. Studying hard for May 7 MCAT. Chugging away at thesis research (advisor said graduation possible by end of this year). Trying not to freak out about my EC's...

I'm 44, in the med masters program at EVMS. I interviewed for the med school here today.

Interviews are the only part of this whole trying-to-get-into-med-school thing where I feel like I'm completely on top of my game. Everything else is the Dr. Midlife Learns to Love Being Average Show.

Now back to respiratory phys. Sigh.

I'm 44, in the med masters program at EVMS. I interviewed for the med school here today.

Interviews are the only part of this whole trying-to-get-into-med-school thing where I feel like I'm completely on top of my game. Everything else is the Dr. Midlife Learns to Love Being Average Show.

Hope to hear some good news soon!

:luck: :luck: :luck:

I just thought this thread could use a fresh up date. I just found out I got into my #1 choice school. I'm so psyched I keep randomly tearing up.

Go Non-Trads!!!

I just thought this thread could use a fresh up date. I just found out I got into my #1 choice school. I'm so psyched I keep randomly tearing up.

Go Non-Trads!!!

Congrats, OneTyme! That is such a great program.

Go Non-Trads!!!

Congrats OneTyme, I hope I'm a year behind you there :)

Go Non-Trads!!!

yay onetyme! i'll be seeing ya. :)

Just certified my rank order list. I will find out if I matched on March 14, and where I matched on March 17.

Fortunately, I have two manuscripts to work on, and some PSes to read that this summer's applicants are sending me. I also need to do the AAMC exit survey. But at the moment, I'm just too brain dead to read anything and have it be coherent. I think I should stop now and live for another day. :D

We are interestedly awaiting the results of your match, Q. Let us know when you have a few moments.

Congrats! At least you know you won't be eating Scramble eggs all day everyday this week! Cheers! :thumbup:

Having second thoughts about applying this cycle... Maybe I should just take a year off.

Having second thoughts about applying this cycle... Maybe I should just take a year off.
i've had some friends who are exceptional students say this too, so it got me wondering if I was rushing my application.

I thought about it though, and feel like i'm really nailing down most of the mcat material, i should do it this year. Hopefully 2 months from now I can back that up with a good mcat score.

I start my post-bacc this fall! Still such a long way to go, but now I'm officially getting started.

Well, I won't know where I'm going until Thursday, but what I do know is that I definitely did match somewhere. :D

Ok Q! It's May and we are still waiting on you to tell us if you got ur #1 choice match? :D

:) Congratulations! Very happy for you! :thumbup:
Thanks. :)

So I have another update. Got my residency hospital ID badge today, and they did put MD, PhD on it. I was also invited to start attending the weekly resident lectures starting, oh, now, even though I'm technically not required to attend them before July 1. This is what I get for moving here early. :smuggrin:

Woo! Congrats! Your recent posts--and spicedmanna's--in the Nontrad Match thread were very inspiring.

In other less exciting (but still on-topic!) news, I finally got a (six months) post-interview rejection from my local school so it looks like I have another go-round with AMCAS in my future. At least I'll be applying to more than three schools this year, so that if I don't get into OHSU on my second try I should have other options.

Thanks. :)

So I have another update. Got my residency hospital ID badge today, and they did put MD, PhD on it. I was also invited to start attending the weekly resident lectures starting, oh, now, even though I'm technically not required to attend them before July 1. This is what I get for moving here early. :smuggrin:

Woo! Congrats! Your recent posts--and spicedmanna's--in the Nontrad Match thread were very inspiring.

In other less exciting (but still on-topic!) news, I finally got a (six months) post-interview rejection from my local school so it looks like I have another go-round with AMCAS in my future. At least I'll be applying to more than three schools this year, so that if I don't get into OHSU on my second try I should have other options.
Sorry, North. :(

I think you're doing the right thing though by applying to more schools this time around. Are you going to add some DO schools too? I'm asking because there is a new DO branch campus that just started up in OR. Might be worth looking into since location is so important for you.

Sorry, North. :(

I think you're doing the right thing though by applying to more schools this time around. Are you going to add some DO schools too? I'm asking because there is a new DO branch campus that just started up in OR. Might be worth looking into since location is so important for you.

Yup! Lebanon's far enough out in the boonies that I hadn't considered it for my first try, but it's definitely on my list for next year. Now I just need to find a DO to shadow, as all of my experiences so far have been with MDs--my AMCAS will go out June 1st, but AACOMAS might be a few weeks later.

Greetings all--I am happy to report that I am now officially an MD/PhD. :D

lolcat1.jpg

Congrats!! Woot!