2012-2013 University of Miami (Miller) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement. ( 500 words or less)

Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible. (500 words or less)

Please provide a chronology (A list with start and finish dates) of your clinical experiences/shadowing.

Please provide a chronology (A list with start and finish dates) of your community service/volunteering.

Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.

Please briefly discuss your research experience.

Please provide a chronology (A list with start and finish dates) of your employment.

Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)

Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow)

Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.

Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.

Please provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reading on the thread from last year's cycle, I see that the secondary is pretty lengthy. I still have yet to reach a consensus on how long each question should be? I see 1500 words or less for the two narrative questions, but I'm confused as to which two questions are the narrative ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Calculus is one of the requirements for this school?

11-12 Accepted 6 months into the wait-list (UM student).

This is going to be a very long secondary. I am very happy I am not taking any classes this summer so I will be able to just get them done as they come in but the UM secondary.... woooo.... Hard work coming up.

This is going to be a very long secondary. I am very happy I am not taking any classes this summer so I will be able to just get them done as they come in but the UM secondary.... woooo.... Hard work coming up.

Do you know if it's 1500 words or less for each question? Or just the the two narrative questions? And which one are the narratives? I'm assuming they're the first two questions?

Do you know if it's 1500 words or less for each question? Or just the the two narrative questions? And which one are the narratives? I'm assuming they're the first two questions?

Assuming they don't change anything I am pretty sure it is 1500 or less for each question and there were 12 or so last year so it is going to be quite a bit of time to get it just right. Now don't quote me but I think the first two are narrative yes. Now the main writing should be close to the 1500 but the others should be a lot less.

I banged out the essays fairly quickly, and according to my mom the professional editor, they were of really good quality. So do not worry that much.

well, since your mother said they were good, they must have been top-notch. jk.

GLTA.

Good luck to everyone applying here this cycle! I will be applying next year so I will be following this thread pretty closely.

I am a non-trad undergrad at UM and pretty much a lifelong resident of Miami (born and raised). While I cannot answer much about life at Miller (other than aspects of its location), I can tell you pretty much anything and everything you need to know about living in Miami. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to post here or PM me. It will be my pleasure to help any of you.

Best of luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't mind me, just another applicant....

My primary was verified on 6-8-12! Top choice right here! Im an undergrad at FIU

Yaay! Just waiting on secondaries. :p Can anyone tell me more about What the essays are (other than long)? :) ;)

Hi everyone! Just another fellow applicant, Miller's one of my top choices. I'm an undergrad at miami and I have a lot of friends that go to miller so if anyone has questions, I'm glad to help.

Hi everyone! Just another fellow applicant, Miller's one of my top choices. I'm an undergrad at miami and I have a lot of friends that go to miller so if anyone has questions, I'm glad to help.

Any suggestions for OOS applicants? ;) :)

Any suggestions for OOS applicants? ;) :)

Miami is a private school so you could say it is the most OOS friendly MD school in Florida. That being said they still prefer Florida residents. Make sure you take your time with the secondary when it comes in, it is important to note why you want to go to school in Miami.

Miami is a private school so you could say it is the most OOS friendly MD school in Florida. That being said they still prefer Florida residents. Make sure you take your time with the secondary when it comes in, it is important to note why you want to go to school in Miami.

just for the added info, last year they interviewed 5% of OOS applicants. 4161 applied, 191 interviewed, and 133 were accepted.

OOS applicant and I got the secondary today. Pumped!

Do they screen applicants?

from their website:

Do all applicants get to complete a secondary application?
No. If you are a Florida resident you must have at least a 3.2 undergraduate GPA. If you are a resident of another state you will need to have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.4. All applicants must have a minimum composite MCAT score of at least 25.

Got a secondary this morning, but I still don't even have an MCAT score in... weird. haha Whatever, I'll take it.

Do they screen applicants?

I got an email saying that they received my AMCAS and they would be reviewing applicants. Then I got a secondary about an hour later. Some people say they screen others disagree. I'm guessing if they do screen their standards are pretty low.

Two prompts:

Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement.

Why do you want to go to Miami?

500 word limit

"A decision to send you a secondary application will be made shortly." is exactly what they said in the first email.

My cum GPA = 3.59 Sci = 3.76 MCAT = 32N

So apparently that requirement of a 3.6 or better cumulative GPA isn't true unless I was close enough.

I got an email saying that they received my AMCAS and they would be reviewing applicants. Then I got a secondary about an hour later. Some people say they screen others disagree. I'm guessing if they do screen their standards are pretty low.

Two prompts:

Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement.

500 word limit

500 words limit per prompt, right?

500 words limit per prompt, right?

Correct, but I haven't pasted anything into them yet so it may acctually be a character limit. I'm not sure. Secondary instruction said 500 words each. FYI, there are also a lot of questions about activities, hobbies, and interests but I did not list them. They are short prompts. Basically it's asking you to list the stuff from your primary over again.

Sounds like the prompt is exactly the same as last year's if I'm not mistaken. Check out the 2011-2012 thread for Miami. I'll be applying here this year, really hoping for good things.

"A decision to send you a secondary application will be made shortly." is exactly what they said in the first email.

My cum GPA = 3.59 Sci = 3.76 MCAT = 32N

So apparently that requirement of a 3.6 or better cumulative GPA isn't true unless I was close enough.

Where did you see something about a 3.6? On the website it said 3.4 for out-of-state and 3.2 for in-state.

from their website:

Do all applicants get to complete a secondary application?
No. If you are a Florida resident you must have at least a 3.2 undergraduate GPA. If you are a resident of another state you will need to have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.4. All applicants must have a minimum composite MCAT score of at least 25.

Hm...minimum MCAT score of 25? I know people who are receiving secondaries who don't even have an MCAT score yet. For some reason, I don't think UMiami screens :p

When is the deadline for secondary? Thanks!

Hm...minimum MCAT score of 25? I know people who are receiving secondaries who don't even have an MCAT score yet. For some reason, I don't think UMiami screens :p

nope, they don't screen. some of the language on the applications alludes to it, but they say specifically on their website that they've stopped screening.

Two prompts:

500 word limit

There are a few others that some may find helpful. In addition to the two listed above in jlescher's post, there are these (some may not apply to you, and, if that is the case, you do not have to answer them) :

3 Chronology questions (500 word limits; When asked for a chronology, please list start and stop dates along with a brief description of the activity.):

1. Please provide a chronology (A list with start and finish dates) of your clinical experiences/shadowing.
2. Please provide a chronology (A list with start and finish dates) of your employment.
3. Please provide a chronology (A list with start and finish dates) of your community service/volunteering.

7 Others (also 500 word limits)

1. Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)
2. Please provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.
3. Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.
4. Please briefly discuss your research experience.
5. Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow).
6. Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.
7. Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if anything in this post needs clarification. This secondary is definitely a beast. Good luck to all!

When is the deadline for secondary? Thanks!

Deadline is January 15th but DO NOT wait until then to submit it. The ABSOLUTE latest you should submit it IMO is September 1 (unless you are extremely competitive).

Where did you see something about a 3.6? On the website it said 3.4 for out-of-state and 3.2 for in-state.

Web site said something about OOS needing competitive GPAs around 3.6. Not necessarily a cut off for screening.

There are a few others that some may find helpful. In addition to the two listed above in jlescher's post, there are these (some may not apply to you, and, if that is the case, you do not have to answer them) :

3 Chronology questions (500 word limits; When asked for a chronology, please list start and stop dates along with a brief description of the activity.):

1. Please provide a chronology (A list with start and finish dates) of your clinical experiences/shadowing.
2. Please provide a chronology (A list with start and finish dates) of your employment.
3. Please provide a chronology (A list with start and finish dates) of your community service/volunteering.

7 Others (also 500 word limits)

1. Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)
2. Please provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.
3. Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.
4. Please briefly discuss your research experience.
5. Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow).
6. Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.
7. Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if anything in this post needs clarification. This secondary is definitely a beast. Good luck to all!

From the 7 of the other, I am writing about 200 words for the ones that do apply to me (travel, student organizations, leadership, research), for others like sports and hobbies, they're just brief sentences and I may leave fine arts blank because my fine arts stuff is just hobbies. For the other two essays they are 400+. Is this enough? I don't want my secondary to be substantially shorter than everyone else's.

From the 7 of the other, I am writing about 200 words for the ones that do apply to me (travel, student organizations, leadership, research), for others like sports and hobbies, they're just brief sentences and I may leave fine arts blank because my fine arts stuff is just hobbies. For the other two essays they are 400+. Is this enough? I don't want my secondary to be substantially shorter than everyone else's.

My opinion shouldn't hold much weight here since I am filling it out too. However, I imagine that those lengths should be sufficient as long as your responses are clear enough and do not leave out certain details. You still want your responses to be well constructed (like the two main essays), but it seems as though they will be less important. That being said, just make sure they all flow well. I would avoid being too brief because some of these questions are rehashing things on your AMCAS, and I would imagine they are asking them again in order to get a better feel for what these activities mean/meant to you. Hope this helps.

Are you guys going to answer these questions pretty straight forward, or make them like mini-essays? I kinda think at this point they are a bit sick of ready anecdotes/reflection on the world/how this will make me a great dr and such... but I don't know how everyone else is approaching them? Any input?

so on the most important clinical experience, they don't want us to repeat our personal statement. so should we not talk about the same thing? or just don't say the same things?

Status
Not open for further replies.