2012-2013 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Word Limit: 350 words for each.

Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?

How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

What do you think will be your greatest personal challenge as a physician, and how will you address this?

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
would love to spend another 4 years here

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I'm a rising third year at UVA, and just wanted to make myself available to answer any questions you had about UVA, including rotations, the 'new' curriculum, student life, etc.

Hey guys. I'm a rising third year at UVA, and just wanted to make myself available to answer any questions you had about UVA, including rotations, the 'new' curriculum, student life, etc.

How's student life?

How was the shortened preclinical years?

It was hard, but med school in general is hard. I don't think it was any worse for us than it was for SMD12 or SMD13 in terms of difficulty. We did have a lot of logistical problems in my class (having a very shortened summer), but we were the first class to make the switch, and the vast majority of those problems have been ironed out and will be non-issues for future classes.

I don't know the exact stats for my class' Step 1 scores, but from what I've heard, they're on par with previous classes.

The best part is that we start clerkships about 4 months before other schools across the nation (one of my friends just finished with second year and is studying for boards; I've been on the wards for almost 12 weeks), which is also helpful because not everyone new is starting at the same time in July (the med students will have a fairly good feel for the wards, the computers, etc, when the interns start). We also get a bunch of extra time for electives during fourth year, the most important of which are prior to residency applications.

How's student life?

My class is awesome. We have many class-wide events throughout the year, mostly pot lucks or bar nights. There are social chairs for every class that puts on class-wide events, and there are also social chairs for the whole school who put on the same events each year (orientation, Fall Bonfire, Prom, Foxfield Horse Races, Talent Show, Faux New Years, etc). We have a weekly bar night with the whole med school (whoever wants to go out, anyway) that the first year chairs are responsible for organizing.

Many people in first, second, and fourth year play in intramural sports. In first year, you can get a little more involved (one of the current first years was in marching band in the fall with the undergrads, several people in my class had jobs, etc).

The courses are all P/F except during third year (when it's the usual A-F scale), which I feel lowers stress a lot. People get out and do things, and are, for the most part, happy people.

hey guys.

quick question: does UVA provide a pre medical committee letter to pre med students? I know that they used to, but saw on their website that they no longer do this. can anyone confirm this change?

hey guys.

quick question: does UVA provide a pre medical committee letter to pre med students? I know that they used to, but saw on their website that they no longer do this. can anyone confirm this change?

this is correct. they no longer do.

what sort of research opportunities are there in the new curriculum? Can the second half of year 2 be used for research or is it just for clerkships? from the looks of the website (which is terrible btw and just loops back to a generic description of nx gen) it seems the only opportunity to do any official, mentored research without setting it up on your own is during 4th year selectives?

what sort of research opportunities are there in the new curriculum? Can the second half of year 2 be used for research or is it just for clerkships? from the looks of the website (which is terrible btw and just loops back to a generic description of nx gen) it seems the only opportunity to do any official, mentored research without setting it up on your own is during 4th year selectives?

There's a program during the summer between first and second year to do research at the med school. But no, you can't use the second half of second year for research, because you're assigned a track for clerkships when you start. Yes, you can get research time during fourth year, but you set it up on your own anyway and just get credit for it. One of my friends got on with an Ophtho project that she's working on during her free time during third year, so it's possible to do research during clerkship year, you just have to set it up on your own.

Received my secondary this morning. Anyone know if they screen before giving out secondaries and, if so, to what extent?

Members don't see this ad :)
could you post the secondary please? :)

could you post the secondary please? :)

Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?

How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

What do you think will be your greatest personal challenge as a physician, and how will you address this?

Thanks Tates!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Quick question, is "Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?" two separate questions as in 350 words for each question, or is it 350 words to answer that entire thing. Just confused a little by the formatting.

Thanks

Quick question, is "Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school?" two separate questions as in 350 words for each question, or is it 350 words to answer that entire thing. Just confused a little by the formatting.

Thanks

That's just 1 question. 350 words

Interview Invite OOS! Yay! So Excited! Just submitted last night...

Congrats! You got an interview invite the day after you submitted your secondary?

Also, just submitted my secondary today. Hoping to at least get an interview :xf:

+1. (Interview invite OOS). I feel like I'm having the exact same application cycle as you so far +2 or 3 days.

nice! congrats.

I was complete on 7/14 so I'm guessing they put my app on the bottom of the pile -_-

For those of you who received secondaries, did you get your secondary prior to AMCAS verification, or not until afterwards?

has anyone who's gotten interviews so far been IS?

Looks like every II has gone to someone with an mcat of 36+...

Anyone know of any exceptions to this?

Looks like every II has gone to someone with an mcat of 36+...

Anyone know of any exceptions to this?

I'm not surprised, UVA is known to be a stat *****

You realize SDN is but a small sampling of a large ocean, yes? Of course you do.

Of course I do. Nevertheless, it is still somewhat representative...

For example, per Oakland's portal, of the first 5 interview invites they granted, 3 of those people were SDN members. Coincidence? Maybe. Or perhaps those 3 SDN people were a good indication of what oakland is seeking in applicants at this point in time.

We don't know how many II's UVA has offered to date. Maybe the 4-5 people that posted here are ALL of them... or maybe they are merely 4-5 out of 100. Who knows? UVA doesn't have the same transparency as some other schools.

But as it stands, it's not like SDN only represents 1% of applicants with II's. There is no reason to believe that UVA has given an II to anyone with a sub-36 mcat yet... hence I asked if anyone knew otherwise. :smuggrin:

Last edited:
So what kind of responses are typical for the diversity question? I'm about as un-diverse as an applicant can possibly be and I'm really only able to think of stuff like 'I'm very open to different opinions' or 'I've had so many diverse experiences'

Of course I do. Nevertheless, it is still somewhat representative...

For example, per Oakland's portal, of the first 5 interview invites they granted, 3 of those people were SDN members. Coincidence? Maybe. Or perhaps those 3 SDN people were a good indication of what oakland is seeking in applicants at this point in time.

We don't know how many II's UVA has offered to date. Maybe the 4-5 people that posted here are ALL of them... or maybe they are merely 4-5 out of 100. Who knows? UVA doesn't have the same transparency as some other schools.

But as it stands, it's not like SDN only represents 1% of applicants with II's. There is no reason to believe that UVA has given an II to anyone with a sub-36 mcat yet... hence I asked if anyone knew otherwise. :smuggrin:

Maybe if you were open to PMs and the like I wouldn't have to call out in the open.

Status
Not open for further replies.