2012 Mount Sinai Biomedical Sciences program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

g3nuin3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether you have to indicate that you want to take the PM track specifically somewhere on the online application. I've already filed my application a while ago and still waiting to hear back from them (been almost a month) and can't remember if there was ever an option. Also has anyone been accepted to this year's program? if so, how long did you have to wait to hear back from them?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know whether you have to indicate that you want to take the PM track specifically somewhere on the online application. I've already filed my application a while ago and still waiting to hear back from them (been almost a month) and can't remember if there was ever an option. Also has anyone been accepted to this year's program? if so, how long did you have to wait to hear back from them?

Yes, there was a drop-down question I think on the applications information page to indicate whether you wanted to be considered for the premed track.

I applied to the program in mid-may, but I have not yet heard back. Did you receive any further notice?

I called the Admissions office roughly a week ago, and the person I spoke to said that the decisions are sent out latest around July 31st -- by mail or email. However, if someone knows of anything first-hand, I would greatly appreciate it!

Hi, just joined this program for Fall 2012 and am looking to talk to other students in the program about housing, etc.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey yeah, i actually got accepted and also had a chance to meet one of the program directors to ask about the whole pm track business. So they told me that there is no distinct/separate track, but simply that students who have at least a 3.5 GPA and 34 MCATS get an interview with Mount Sinai. I was assured that everyone takes the same classes.

As far as my application goes, i applied end of april and heard back a couple of weeks ago. I would give it a couple of more weeks for a reply from the school. Accepted or rejected, you should hear back via email.

Hi, I applied to this program in February, I still haven't heard from them. In the mean time I got accepted to other biomedical sciences programs, but I'm still waiting to hear from Mount Sinai. Do you guys think I should wait or should I just give up and go somewhere else? I really wanna go to Mount Sinai, but it's July 16th... Maybe the problem is that I'm an international applicant. I don't know. I'm really freaking out though....

scratch that, I got admitted yesterday. See you at Mt. Sinai!

Congrats everyone! :D

Quick question to all -- does anyone know anything about course selections, schedules, labs, etc? I can't attend orientation because I'll be abroad for my summer internship, and I don't want to start classes on Monday completely clueless and get left behind... if anyone has any advice, that'd be awesome!

Thanks in advance!

I think the letter said you pick a lab by October 1 and pretty sure schedule is the same as first year biomedical sciences Ph.D. students but that's all I know

Can someone tell me a bit more information about this program? It only says that it's 1.5 years but it has no say in the curriculum. :confused:

I'm going to revive this thread... does ANYONE have any information about the program, its rigor, how useful/successful program graduates have been, etc?

I am starting this fall, so I'll let you know what I found from my research of the program, but none of this is my personal experience.

Classwise, I'm not sure if it's more rigorous (as I'm starting this fall), but research wise it is. If you really like research, this is a great program because its highly emphasized. You're required to do 29 credits of classwork and 16 of research (including a masters thesis). I've heard that the classwork is more similar to that of a PhD student during their first two years. You also can take electives from the other schools (public health, med, clinical investigation, grad).

It's meant to be a 1.5 year program but, if you really need to, it is possible to complete in 1 year (but requires a very large commitment for that 1 year). They said a few students have graduated in 1 year.

From when I talked to the school stats were: 93% of the students successfully went on to either MD, PhD or industry positions. 50% go to MD, 30% to PhD and the rest did industry positions. If your main goal is to fix youre GPA then a more true SMP with more coursework might be better. But if you're more borderline and/or looking for research, this is a great program.

2011-2012 grad student handbook found on their website: http://www.mssm.edu/static_files/MS...dent Handbooks/GS_E-HANDBOOK_FINAL_9-8-11.pdf

Curriculum breakdown I was given:

Semester 1
Core Curriculum (there are three to choose from, one general core and two that are more specific to particular training areas
Biostats
Responsible Conduct in Research
Meet the Authors
Elective(s)
Research Credits

Semester 2
Core Curriculum (again a few choices)
Research Credits
Meet the Authors
Electives

Semester 3
Research Credits
Thesis Credits
Electives to bring total credits up to 45

Members don't see this ad :)
I am starting this fall, so I'll let you know what I found from my research of the program, but none of this is my personal experience.

Classwise, I'm not sure if it's more rigorous (as I'm starting this fall), but research wise it is. If you really like research, this is a great program because its highly emphasized. You're required to do 29 credits of classwork and 16 of research (including a masters thesis). I've heard that the classwork is more similar to that of a PhD student during their first two years. You also can take electives from the other schools (public health, med, clinical investigation, grad).

It's meant to be a 1.5 year program but, if you really need to, it is possible to complete in 1 year (but requires a very large commitment for that 1 year). They said a few students have graduated in 1 year.

From when I talked to the school stats were: 93% of the students successfully went on to either MD, PhD or industry positions. 50% go to MD, 30% to PhD and the rest did industry positions. If your main goal is to fix youre GPA then a more true SMP with more coursework might be better. But if you're more borderline and/or looking for research, this is a great program.

2011-2012 grad student handbook found on their website: http://www.mssm.edu/static_files/MS...dent Handbooks/GS_E-HANDBOOK_FINAL_9-8-11.pdf

Curriculum breakdown I was given:

Semester 1
Core Curriculum (there are three to choose from, one general core and two that are more specific to particular training areas
Biostats
Responsible Conduct in Research
Meet the Authors
Elective(s)
Research Credits

Semester 2
Core Curriculum (again a few choices)
Research Credits
Meet the Authors
Electives

Semester 3
Research Credits
Thesis Credits
Electives to bring total credits up to 45

Do you mind sharing your stats or your stats of what they are looking?
Thanks for all that great info.

Is it only your first two semesters that are graded? If so, I'm guessing its then possible to apply to medical schools beginning your second year and use that second year to do research? Do most students apply during that second year or do they take a gap year following the masters program?

Is it only your first two semesters that are graded? If so, I'm guessing its then possible to apply to medical schools beginning your second year and use that second year to do research? Do most students apply during that second year or do they take a gap year following the masters program?

Hey, I'm in now a 2nd-semester first year student in the Sinai MSBS program. You apply to med school the end of your first year, since apps open in early June. You should be doing research THROUGHOUT the entire 1.5 years you're there. Most students that I know who are current first years in MSBS are applying this June cycle. However, there are those who chose to take a gap year following the masters program as well.

As for the MSBS program, this is just some random info: the way it works is we have to fulfill the total of 45 credits in order to graduate -- since there's a thesis component, each semester the research that you do takes up 3-4 credits (and yes you're graded based on your research). You can choose how to spread out your classes over the 1.5 years -- there are certain classes that you're required to take the first two terms, but for all other classes you can choose whatever classes you'd like to take. For instance, some of the students of the program took/are taking first-year medical school classes, such as Embryology, Epidemiology, etc. etc. However, the first-year med school classes are graded on P/F rather than letter grades, which may not be as beneficial to those who need "Grade boosters." Because MSBS students can also enroll in the MPH classes, however, those DO have letter grades and may prove to be helpful.

I think there tends to be a misconception that the MSBS program is very easy to obtain As -- I would like to dispel that here. It is possible to do well in this program, but the students DO have to work very hard -- I am speaking for both myself as well as on behalf of my classmates.

Also, I should clarify that there are three "tracks" that the MSBS students can choose from:

1. Biomedical Science
2. Systems Biomedicine
3. Neuroscience

Sinai recommended that PhD-hopeful candidates should take the Biomedical science track, whereas MD-hopeful candidates should take the Systems biomedicine course. I don't know much about neuroscience course other than that my classmates in that track probably have more A's than those in the other two tracks (note: I'm not saying that it's "easier," but it may have to do with the structure of the class -- I think it's based on 3 take-home exams for the first semester.)

Biomedical science track has its first core class in the fall, and it is REALLY REALLY REALLY hard. It requires a LOT of memorization because the exams are closed book, but I guess this can be a good thing too for those who like to memorize a lot.

Systems Biomedicine core class in the fall is divided up into 5 modules -- introduction/proteins, diabetes, cancer, renal, and drug abuse. In each module, there are 2 graded problem sets -- 1 collaborative and 1 individual. This class was interesting and the way it was structured was similar to many of my undergrad classes, so I personally liked it. However, because many people tended to receive around the same grades, it was "harder" to get an A in the class (I didn't get an A; I know of classmates who did get A-). Essentially, the average of the class is the border for "B/B+" and students must do MUCH better to obtain A. Oh, and this class has VERY MINIMAL/BASIC levels of MATLAB modeling.

I hope this helps, and as always feel free to PM me for more info!

Hey, I'm in now a 2nd-semester first year student in the Sinai MSBS program. You apply to med school the end of your first year, since apps open in early June. You should be doing research THROUGHOUT the entire 1.5 years you're there. Most students that I know who are current first years in MSBS are applying this June cycle. However, there are those who chose to take a gap year following the masters program as well.

As for the MSBS program, this is just some random info: the way it works is we have to fulfill the total of 45 credits in order to graduate -- since there's a thesis component, each semester the research that you do takes up 3-4 credits (and yes you're graded based on your research). You can choose how to spread out your classes over the 1.5 years -- there are certain classes that you're required to take the first two terms, but for all other classes you can choose whatever classes you'd like to take. For instance, some of the students of the program took/are taking first-year medical school classes, such as Embryology, Epidemiology, etc. etc. However, the first-year med school classes are graded on P/F rather than letter grades, which may not be as beneficial to those who need "Grade boosters." Because MSBS students can also enroll in the MPH classes, however, those DO have letter grades and may prove to be helpful.

I think there tends to be a misconception that the MSBS program is very easy to obtain As -- I would like to dispel that here. It is possible to do well in this program, but the students DO have to work very hard -- I am speaking for both myself as well as on behalf of my classmates.

Also, I should clarify that there are three "tracks" that the MSBS students can choose from:

1. Biomedical Science
2. Systems Biomedicine
3. Neuroscience

Sinai recommended that PhD-hopeful candidates should take the Biomedical science track, whereas MD-hopeful candidates should take the Systems biomedicine course. I don't know much about neuroscience course other than that my classmates in that track probably have more A's than those in the other two tracks (note: I'm not saying that it's "easier," but it may have to do with the structure of the class -- I think it's based on 3 take-home exams for the first semester.)

Biomedical science track has its first core class in the fall, and it is REALLY REALLY REALLY hard. It requires a LOT of memorization because the exams are closed book, but I guess this can be a good thing too for those who like to memorize a lot.

Systems Biomedicine core class in the fall is divided up into 5 modules -- introduction/proteins, diabetes, cancer, renal, and drug abuse. In each module, there are 2 graded problem sets -- 1 collaborative and 1 individual. This class was interesting and the way it was structured was similar to many of my undergrad classes, so I personally liked it. However, because many people tended to receive around the same grades, it was "harder" to get an A in the class (I didn't get an A; I know of classmates who did get A-). Essentially, the average of the class is the border for "B/B+" and students must do MUCH better to obtain A. Oh, and this class has VERY MINIMAL/BASIC levels of MATLAB modeling.

I hope this helps, and as always feel free to PM me for more info!

Thanks!! This was SUPER helpful :D

Do you know how many students are interviewed by Mt Sinai and how many get in? And since you're graded on your research as well, in order to get the 3.6 in the program for the interview, will they only look at your first two semesters?

Also, how many students actually get the necessary 3.6 in the MSBS program, in order to receive an interview? And do you think the faculty/staff do a good job of advising students in preparation for medical school?

Pretty harsh requirements for an interview (3.5 undergrad + 34+ MCAT + 3.6 grad program).

If you were starting from a 3.5/34+ would it really be necessary to spend 45k+col and two years to get an interview? I understand that it's an excellent school, but wouldn't you be better served by getting your MD elsewhere and doing a fellowship later in your career?

Pretty harsh requirements for an interview (3.5 undergrad + 34+ MCAT + 3.6 grad program).

If you were starting from a 3.5/34+ would it really be necessary to spend 45k+col and two years to get an interview? I understand that it's an excellent school, but wouldn't you be better served by getting your MD elsewhere and doing a fellowship later in your career?

Yeah, and I know students with slightly lower stats who had interviews at Mt. Sinai.

Not knocking the program in any way (the school is one of the top in the nation), but it seems like their requirements would already net someone MD interviews elsewhere.

I'm applying the 2014 Biomedical Science program and I was wondering what are the stats of those who've been accepted. I have a 2.5 sGPA and a 2.89 cGPA I was wondering if it was worth applying.

BUMP.

I've emailed the program but I have yet to receive a reply.

Can some current students shed some light on the best way to contact the program director and/or staff? I have a couple questions about my application. THANKS!

I just applied to the program and was wondering what people thought of the program now that it’s been around for a couple more years. I’m interested in obtaining my MD degree, definitely an MD/PHD if I could get in. I applied to BU MAMS, Johns Hopkins Masters in Biotech and Georgetown’s Masters in physiology. I love doing research and have quite a bit of experience in that department but I also want a program that shows I can handle the rigorous work load of medical school. I have a 3.2 GPA with a Bachelors in biology and a Chinese and bioengineering minors. I completed my degree in 3 years. And am taking the MCAT soon.

I heard that you do take classes with medical students which I like and not all SMPs offer this but I’m curious as to why someone chooses a different SMP to this program. And anyone whose in the program now or has been through this could provide some feedback would be great.