2012 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here it is mid-June, and none of you slacker applicants has made this year's thread yet. :nono:

Best of luck to you all. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Here it is mid-June, and none of you slacker applicants has made this year's thread yet. :nono:

I'm in this year. Applying EDP to Medical College of Wisconsin. When October 15 hits I'll be making my plans for next year - either school in August or putting the house on the market and gearing up for a broader application.

I haven't submitted yet, still waiting on transcripts from two schools who returned the AMCAS form + official transcript to me. :smack:It took them over a month to get to me so I figure I've got another 2 weeks or so until the new copies make it to AMCAS.

Anyone else?

I'm also applying now. Awaiting MCAT score on june 21 (and freaking out). Application submitted but not verified because 1 transcript is still pending. I've only submitted to one school until I get my score back before I decide which of the 20 schools on my list I'm actually going to submit to (because of money, I can only afford 12-15 so if I have something less than 30, i'll knock off the more competitive schools, my aamc average was 30.)

Members don't see this ad :)

Believe me, the thought did cross my mind, but I was already going nuts and making the thread just would've added to it.

oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

:xf::luck::xf:

I submitted June 10th. All transcripts and 1 LOR already in. Hopefully will get rest of LOR by the time grades are verified.

Don't tend to post much, more of a lurker but yes I am applying this year. Submitted application to both TMDSAS and AMCAS. Waiting to get verified through AMCAS. Only applying to Baylor, UTMB and UT Houston. MCAT date is July 16th. I am sooooooo ready to finally get this finished. I am getting maybe 4 hours of sleep a night studying for the MCAT. Yikes! :sleep:

Submitted to AMCAS and AACOMAS on June 1st. Got my MCAT back on June 7th (35Q). Applied to 15 programs, I'm verified, now time to sit and wait for those secondaries...

Still working on the LORs. I asked a DO that I shadowed to write me one; I had a better one lined up but he passed away so had to go with plan B. Asked my employer for a letter as well so that is in the works. Already have two science and one non-science, just thought the employer might be a good addition and the Dr. is required for the DO schools. Haven't sent any of them to AMCAS but they're safe in interfolio.

Applied on June 3 to 20+ schools. Decent mid-thirties MCAT, foreign undergrad/grad, 61 credits from US with near perfect GPA.

June 7 - they should have received it on June 8, but they are a bit behind on transcripts - called them today - expect to see my status change from "Waiting for Transcripts" to "Received" by Wednesday.One of my transcripts have been received by AMCAS, the other was FEDEXed overnight on

All but one of my LORs are in (I have plenty in this area - 11 total, could only upload 10 :)), making it hard to choose from. The last LOR is the composite and is being written now - should be there by EOW or next week at the latest.

Work full time in Engineering - so don't post much. Good luck to you all!

June 15 - AMCAS App - Ready for Review

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I'm re-applying this year. Fighting a low gpa from my previous life and hoping to be seen by some colleges that will look at my whole app. Took more science courses and spent lots of time volunteering since last cycle, hope it helps. Good luck to everybody!

Best of luck everyone! I applied June 1st to lots of places, no clue how my MCAT went, waiting quite impatiently for next Tuesday... Praying for something this cycle!!

The apps are finished but not submitted yet, waiting on MCAT score and 1 transcript still, GPA decent at 3.24, waiting on MCAT, got lots of shadowing and volunteer XP, work XP, letters of recommendation.......applying to 13 DO schools and 1 MD school.....praying and praying and praying and praying!

Don't tend to post much, more of a lurker but yes I am applying this year. Submitted application to both TMDSAS and AMCAS. Waiting to get verified through AMCAS. Only applying to Baylor, UTMB and UT Houston. MCAT date is July 16th. I am sooooooo ready to finally get this finished. I am getting maybe 4 hours of sleep a night studying for the MCAT. Yikes! :sleep:

Hey southerngrl, you're applying exactly where I did! Hope it goes well for you (and everyone else of course). Good luck!

Submitting tomorrow - spending the day combing over everything obsessively. Heeeere we go!

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted application 6/7/11, they received my transcripts 6/10/11, still awaiting verification (though the website says they are processing transcripts received 6/10/11 as of today). Applying to a single school this cycle, not expecting to get in this year, will apply to all 4 schools within driving distance next cycle assuming I am rejected this year. Cannot move due to family/house situation, so I am limited to those 4 schools. I am luck though, many people are not within driving distance of 4 different medical schools.

The 4 schools are all allopathic, though I would apply to osteopathic schools if any were within range. Will just have to see how I do. If nothing else, I will have experience with the application process when I apply next year.

Edit to add LOR info: One of the profs writing a LOR is out of the country until June 20th, and so I will meet with him when he returns and he will send the LOR in to my school's LOR service, which I will have send the letter packet to AMCAS as soon as I confirm all the letters are in. I am very glad the LOR's are not needed to submit the primary application.

Last edited:
Submitted 1st of June, but transcript issues from one particular institution where I only took a single class didn't get resolved until today (ehamduillah), MCAT better than expected, foreign undergrad, US grad + prerequisites. Applying broadly (20 odd schools) - major exclusion criteria was whether my wife would be willing to live in the area.

LORs are a bit of a tricky situation - I will have two science and two non-science. Non-science are safe with Interfolio (volunteer coordinator, professor that I worked with several times as a TA), but the science letters have not yet materialized. I have reason to hope they will become available next week or soon thereafter, insha'allah. They are contingent on my dissertation progress.

What will be properly fun is writing secondaries in the run up to my dissertation defense (July 27th). Good thing I write quickly (and that my last pre-req is proving to be dead easy and will be dispensed with soon).

Hey guys! Everyone here seems to know what they are doing...I was wondering if someone can really help me out! I am not taking my Mcat until mid July, and I am still waiting on 1 more LOR to be sent to Interfolio (hopefully by end of this week). All data entry for aacomas, amcas and tmdsas are completed and all three places have already received my final transcripts...Can I sumbit all 3 now even though none will have my LOR's or Mcat score? (I think the mcat score gets sent automatically but what about the LOR situation?)

thanks so much!

Hey guys! Everyone here seems to know what they are doing...I was wondering if someone can really help me out! I am not taking my Mcat until mid July, and I am still waiting on 1 more LOR to be sent to Interfolio (hopefully by end of this week). All data entry for aacomas, amcas and tmdsas are completed and all three places have already received my final transcripts...Can I sumbit all 3 now even though none will have my LOR's or Mcat score? (I think the mcat score gets sent automatically but what about the LOR situation?)

thanks so much!

For AMCAS; yes, once everything is filled in you can submit, but make sure your upcoming MCAT date is noted in the proper section. The info for the LOR's should be entered but you can submit before they receive them.

I do not know about the other services.

Finally finished my personal statement earlier this week. Going to submit it for final review to my sister who has 2 months off from school. Have all my transcripts in and about 6 LORs. I probably submit this Friday or Saturday after I get corrections or so back.

Thinking about applying to 15-20 MD schools or so for AMCAS. Applying to probably 1 DO School - LECOM-B through AACOMAS. Also considering TMDSAS for a few schools.

Any suggestions?

Hey southerngrl, you're applying exactly where I did! Hope it goes well for you (and everyone else of course). Good luck!

Thanks for the well wishes! Yep native Texan here with hubby and 2 kids so my options had to be limited. Which school do you attend?

Last edited:
AMCAS submitted on the 13th, still waiting on a transcript that was delayed almost 3 weeks. I ended up calling this particular office and they "forgot" to send my transcript. Neat!

This is my year, though. I can feel it. :luck:

Applying fairly broadly to 16 schools. I would like to do more but finances are limited.

Submitted application 6/7/11, they received my transcripts 6/10/11, still awaiting verification (though the website says they are processing transcripts received 6/10/11 as of today).

That doesn't mean that they are verifying those applications with transcripts received then, it means that they are scanning and attaching those resumes to the applications. I asked this question last year. You have another couple of weeks for verification.

Yes - Ed is right.
I submitted on 6/3 - transcripts received on 5/31 and 6/8 but AMCAS status is still "Ready for Review" since 6/14.

On a separate note: AMCAS has already submitted the first batch of primaries and a few folks have already received secondaries!

Waiting on one LOR and a committee letter (won't be finished till August).
Can I still submit?

Would like to submit by Monday, applying to one school. Good luck everybody!

MacVa.

That doesn't mean that they are verifying those applications with transcripts received then, it means that they are scanning and attaching those resumes to the applications. I asked this question last year. You have another couple of weeks for verification.

That is good to know, the website is not clear on this. Don't think it will really make a difference to the adcom though, so I am not worried:D

Also, any nontrads with non medical employment putting it on their alloted 15 experiences?

Also, any nontrads with non medical employment putting it on their alloted 15 experiences?

I work in chemical synthesis, and I definitely included it, along with a few other jobs I have had, in my experiences section. One was directly referenced in my PS, so I of course included that and expanded on it a bit. I included the job I had most of my undergraduate career, including my post-bach to indicate I maintained my grades while working x hours. Finally, my current job is a full-time job during which I have advanced in while getting married, my wife having a baby, taking courses toward a BS in Chemistry, etc. so I included that as well.

Unless there is some specific reason to exclude work experience, it can only help you by showing that you actually have done things not directly related to medicine, have maintained a job during school, etc.

Agreed. I guess if you were only out of school for a year or so and your job was something like "usher at an adult movie theater" you might think twice, but otherwise, why not? I've always been more afraid of a long unexplained gap in the CV than a insufficiently straight and narrow path to medical school. (But this is coming from the guy who works as an animator, so it's a bit of a self-serving opinion.)
That said, you wouldn't want to designate non-medical jobs for all three of your most significant experiences or anything.

I work in chemical synthesis, and I definitely included it, along with a few other jobs I have had, in my experiences section. One was directly referenced in my PS, so I of course included that and expanded on it a bit. I included the job I had most of my undergraduate career, including my post-bach to indicate I maintained my grades while working x hours. Finally, my current job is a full-time job during which I have advanced in while getting married, my wife having a baby, taking courses toward a BS in Chemistry, etc. so I included that as well.

Unless there is some specific reason to exclude work experience, it can only help you by showing that you actually have done things not directly related to medicine, have maintained a job during school, etc.

Absolutely. One is a significant experience, based on the leadership and personal growth I had in it.

i just want to say that i love that in the trad forum there's a class of 2018 thread, and here in the nontrad forum this years applicants have to get called out for not making an application progress thread. i mean i actually love it. no sarcasm. :D

Can I still submit?

MacVa.

+ 1

I have the same issue, though my pmac letter should be done in mid July, but I still hate to wait that long to submit.

Can I still submit?

MacVa.

Yes. Letters of recommendation are part of the secondary app and not the primary. However, keep in mind that (at least for AMCAS, don't know about AACOMAS) after submission you can only add new letters and add new schools but not remove letters or schools, and mark letters as no longer being submitted.

i just want to say that i love that in the trad forum there's a class of 2018 thread, and here in the nontrad forum this years applicants have to get called out for not making an application progress thread. i mean i actually love it. no sarcasm. :D
What???:eek:
Guys, we need to talk. Seriously :mad:.
I mean whenever you have time, of course :oops:.

...and the secondaries are rollin' in!

Good luck everyone! I submitted 6/14, still waiting to be verified.

I also added a school at the last minute (my husband likes the area the school's in) and realized yesterday I need another LOR so that's what I'll be working on.

I think I'll wait till the weekend for the two automatic secondaries I've received.

And yes, I included three non-medical employment jobs on my application; two involved teaching in different fields and one was a source of significant personal growth and I marked it as "most significant."

I received notice yesterday that my application has been verified and provided to the medical school I am applying to. It took them 10 days to verify after they received my transcripts, so not bad.

I received notice yesterday that my application has been verified and provided to the medical school I am applying to. It took them 10 days to verify after they received my transcripts, so not bad.

That's fast. Congratulations. I was a total emotional basket case at this time last year. I hope you are doing better than I.

That's fast. Congratulations. I was a total emotional basket case at this time last year. I hope you are doing better than I.

Lol, thanks. I am actually not all that anxious, probably because I do not expect to actually get in this year (weak EC's, working on them for next cycle). If I get in, that would be great but my real moment of truth will be next year's application cycle, unless I am lucky enough to be accepted this time around.

I have still not been verified. Submitted on 6/3, last transcript received on 6/8, but flagged as received on 6/15. So kind of worried. Status = Ready for Review.

But the bright light on the horizon is that I got my first secondary invite from Columbia today !

Edit: Just got another secondary invite from Dartmouth !
This is getting real !

Last edited:
startoverat40 submitted 6/10 (10PM EST), Transcripts received May, Verified 6/21 (12:30PM EST) :xf:

email from my local and top choice med school 1.5 hours later that they received my application. :thumbup:

I've thrown my hat into the ring to 20-25 schools. I went a little on the higher side since 7 of those schools are the TX schools and I'm OOS with only weak-moderate ties to TX. I just don't want to go through this whole process again.

Pet peeve: people who cannot take the time to troll a med school's website for a minute or two at the very least and figure out what interests them.

:bang:+pissed+

good luck to everyone. i have all my LORs, all my transcripts, etc, just waiting for AACOMAS to verify everything I will be submitting the rest of my schools.

Can't believe this is finally happening! Hopefully adcoms will see beyond the numbers.

Good luck everyone! :)

Can't believe this is finally happening! Hopefully adcoms will see beyond the numbers.

Good luck everyone! :)

I second this! Got everything submitted, they received my last transcript on 6/23...prob won't be verified until mid july at this point.
Suggestions on how to encourage letter writers to send their letters in?? I have 2 (one of which I absolutely need) that just haven't sent anything in yet and haven't responded to my first follow up email. Sigh.

I just have to say, these kind of threads give me so much hope. :) Good luck to everyone!

Got a couple of secondaries, now I just need to start writing. One is for my top choice school so I need to take my time and make my essays outstanding.

just resubmitted with 14 more schools, total of 16 now. plan to submit to 4 DO schools in a day or two. If i don't get secondaries from the ones that are selective, I might apply to more schools.

:luck::luck::luck:We can do this!:luck::luck::luck: