2012 Waitlist Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThirdTimeCharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

In years past there has been a thread for those of who have been waitlisted. As in years past, feel free to PM me or post here schools at which you have been waitlisted (with or without interviews) as well as offers you have turned down, which might open up a spot for a lucky waitlist-ee.

Thanks!

Waitlists:

Clinical Psychology PhD
Case Western- 1st on the waitlist
Catholic University- waitlist
DePaul- Community Track
Duke University
Fairleigh Dickinson University (letter received via postal service 2/27)
Florida International University (FIU- Clinical Science)-1st on waitlist
George Mason University- high alternate
George Washington University
LSU- waitlist
Marquette University (adult)
Miami University (Ohio)- 1st alternate after Feb interview
Syracuse
Auburn University
University of California Santa Barbara, clinical emphasis- waitlist
University of Florida
UMASS Boston
University of Michigan's (no interview)
University of Missouri, Saint Louis
University of North Texas
University of North Dakota- 3rd alternate
University of Pennsylvania
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (notified via phone on 2/27)
University of Vermont- 1st alternate
University of Virginia
University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee
Wichita State University

Counseling Psychology PhD
Georgia State University- short alternate list
Marquette University
New Mexico State University
Tennessee State University
Texas Tech
University of Florida
University of Georgia
University of Missouri Columbia- Alternate
University of North Dakota
University of Oregon- Waitlist (not ranked)
University of Texas at Austin

Combined PhD Programs
Ohio State University
University of Florida (clinical and health)
University of Virginia (Clinical & School Psychology)

Non-applied PhD (experimental, social, developmental, etc)

PsyD

Long Island University C.W. Post
Rugters
Yeshiva University/Ferkauf School

Acceptances turned down:

Clinical Psychology PhD
Northern Illinois University
Marquette University
CUNY City College

Counseling Psychology PhD
Oklahoma State University
Tennessee State University
University of Memphis
University of Minnesota
University of Missouri (Columbia)
University of Northern Colorado

Non-applied PhD (experimental, social, developmental, etc)

PsyD
Rutgers

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck, waitlisters of 2012! I started the very first thread like this and I got admitted off of the waitlist so I hope the same happens to you as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm on a wait list of sorts at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee clinical psychology. Informed via e-mail from my POI 2/07. Waiting for a specific applicant to decline a specific professor... Hoping this person says no so I can go!

Members don't see this ad :)
me too. best of luck! It happens a lot, more than you might expect.

edited to add:

this was a "me too" to Cara's reply. I meant to quote it.

me too. best of luck! It happens a lot, more than you might expect.

edited to add:

this was a "me too" to Cara's reply. I meant to quote it.

Good to see you around, HP! Hope grad school is treating you well (er, as well as grad school can treat anyone, anyway ;) ). :D

I was waitlisted at University of Michigan's clinical phd program without interview.

Not really a denied acceptance, but this information might be helpful to others on the waitlists....?

Was on the waitlist at Marquette (counseling) - asked to be removed from consideration

waitlisted at U of North Dakota (Counseling Psychology)
February 12, email from professor
not an ordered list
-asked to be removed from the list, as it was not a good fit for me

I know it's still early (I am only half way done with interviews) but this weekend has been hell for me. I'm on edge after finding out I'm a "high alternate" for one school I interviewed at, and not hearing anything from another school that has started to accept people. I tell myself not to stress too much (especially since it's getting in the way of preparing for the interviews I'll have these upcoming weeks) but I just can't stop obsessing about it all... arrrghh... I just wish I had an acceptance to take some of the pressure off, even though I still have my two top choice schools left to interview at.

*end rant*

I know it's still early (I am only half way done with interviews) but this weekend has been hell for me. I'm on edge after finding out I'm a "high alternate" for one school I interviewed at, and not hearing anything from another school that has started to accept people. I tell myself not to stress too much (especially since it's getting in the way of preparing for the interviews I'll have these upcoming weeks) but I just can't stop obsessing about it all... arrrghh... I just wish I had an acceptance to take some of the pressure off, even though I still have my two top choice schools left to interview at.

*end rant*

I know exactly what you are saying...wishing that you had an offer on the table to relive some of the stress, which would probably make preparing for upcoming interviews much easier. Although I have not been notified that I am an alternative, I did interview at my top school a few weeks ago and there was only 2 other applicants for the lab I was applying for--so chances are pretty good that I will be at least the alternate. In the meantime, something very peculiar happened that I would appreciate any feedback on:

While at the interview a few weeks ago, I learned that the graduate students have quite a lot of pull in the selection process (as they spend much more time with applicants than the profs do while we are in town, they will be working extensively with the new students, etc.). That being said, I spent a considerable amount of time getting to know a 5th year in the lab I was applying for; this individual is graduating this spring and recently took a graduate level professor position for a applied experimental program. A week ago this student emailed me saying that they felt we would work quite well together and offered to speak with me about working with him/her at this University (trying to be as anonymous as possible here) . Granted I applied to all PhDs in Clinical Psy and this is a program in Applied Experimental but I am certainly interested as I am more research orientated in the first place.

I guess what's tough is not knowing if this email can really count as an offer to a school, as it was much more like, "We should talk about this possibility," rather than something like, "Congratulations," etc. I mean maybe he/she was assessing my interest in this possibility and did not want to be too forward (i.e. an offer).

I have two more interviews coming up but am just really wanting to hear something (positive!) from the first school. Thank you all for reading, this process is just too stressful!

Last edited:

*end rant*

Best of luck. I just finished my first 2 and even though I feel pretty good about them, I can't help but worry.

Good luck with the rest of them and know there are many others in the same boat waiting to hear. (Misery loves company or something like that =p).

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know if you're waitlisted or an alternate? I'm assuming you just call and beg for information?

I didn't get invited to interview at my top school but was told over the phone this morning, that it didn't mean I was out of the running. Not much consolation to me there.

do we have any sense of when movement on the wait lists will start to occur? soon-ish or more towards april?

I got admitted off of the waitlist in March. Hope that helps.

If I received an e-mail saying I am waitlisted, is it okay for me to inquire as to my ranking?

So I was waitlisted at Michigan without an interview. But then they called me and said some things had been moved around and now they were offering me an interview. Yay! Good things happen from waitlists. :)

Coming out of lurkdom. I'm in the 5th year of my program. I applied to 8 PhD. programs, received 2 interviews and was wait listed on both. My second choice placed me 4th on the wait list. My first choice placed me 8th. I called both schools regularly to check on my position on the list. In late March I was accepted into my second choice program. Just trying to reassure you that movement does happen on the wait list.

Blast - I found out that I am the 1st alternate at one of my top schools!

My husband has a client whose 6' glass window crashed into their living room, right after they got up to get some popcorn to eat while watching a movie. They would have very likely been seriously injured had they not got up to get that popcorn.

He was at their house, looking at the damage from the glass everywhere, and the client was laughing. He had to ask her how should could laugh at such a thing.

Her response, a life philosophy she subscribes to: "If you are going to laugh about it in 5 years, why not just laugh about it now?"

This process is so ridiculously stressful, and the match process seems like it will be even more stressful. However, chances are we will look back and laugh. Why not just laugh now?

:thumbup:

:laugh:

Okay, so I found out that I am high on the wait list for one of my schools, and I also have overlapping interests with 3 of the faculty (one of which I know can't take me into their lab unless the other two accept OTHER students).

This is my 1st year applying, and I have NO clue what this means, is it just an extremely stressful waiting game? Is it all up to chance? Do students REALLY wait all the way until April to accept/decline offers so that people on the wait list have to suffer that long?

At least I know I did something right on the interview, but this feeling is awful and I find I'm checking my email even MORE than pre-interview invites!

Any input is greatly appreciated!

This is my 1st year applying, and I have NO clue what this means, is it just an extremely stressful waiting game? Is it all up to chance? Do students REALLY wait all the way until April to accept/decline offers so that people on the wait list have to suffer that long?
Correct on all counts. :scared:

Hi All
I am one of those waitlisted! Trying to be positive better than outright rejection.
Clinical PhD program at Marquette University notified on 2/14 via email.

Hoping for the best or an offer from another program:rolleyes:!

Hi All
I am one of those waitlisted! Trying to be positive better than outright rejection.
Clinical PhD program at Marquette University notified on 2/14 via email.

Hoping for the best or an offer from another program:rolleyes:!

You are not alone! I am also waitlisted at Marquette. Would you mind PMing me your POI? Thanks and good luck!

Thanks for your message AF13SX! Forgive me I am new to this - what does PMing and POI mean? I am sure that I would not mind!

Last edited:
Thanks for your message AF13SX! Forgive me I am new to this - what does PMing and POI mean? I am sure that I would not mind!

It's alright, I was pretty clueless as well when I was new to the forum. ;)

PM = private message
POI = professor of interest

Wait-listed at Texas Tech for their Counseling Ph.D. program. Phone call from POI. :(

Wait-listed at Texas Tech for their Counseling Ph.D. program. Phone call from POI. :(

I graduated from TTU and people are usually very nice, they might be able to move around things since they're trying to go into tier 1 gear, so just keep hanging in there, you never know!

Hi everyone! I just found out this week I am an alternate at my top choice. Just wondering if schools generally let you know when the person that they made an offer to accepts it (so that you know you are not going to get in), or do they wait until April 15th to let you know? I was just notified of my status on Wednesday so I didn't want to email the department just yet, and I thought you knowledgeable people might know :) thanks!

Waitlist as of 2/7/12 (via email). This is Counseling Psych btw

Last edited:
Just found out I am off the waitlist at my very top choice school ( person above me accepted). So now I have an offer for their master's program. Having a really hard time because I loved the school and can't decide if its best to go their masters from a very good school versus a decent PhD program. :(:(:(

A masters there won't hurt you cause it's courses you'd probably have to take in their doctoral program if they require you to earn your masters en route. Plus, it gives you a chance to show them what you can do so when you reapply to their doctoral program, they know the quality of your masters education, your capabilities and you haven't lost any time in terms of courses cause you know they'll accept & credit you for your own courses. Good luck either way.

Just found out I am off the waitlist at my very top choice school ( person above me accepted). So now I have an offer for their master's program. Having a really hard time because I loved the school and can't decide if its best to go their masters from a very good school versus a decent PhD program. :(:(:(

If you are looking to go on to a PhD program, a masters certainly wont hurt, but be sure the specific PhD program you're interested in does accept people from their masters program. At many schools, this is not a common occurrence. Also, be absolutely sure that credits and thesis will transfer. Its more likely they do within the same department, less likely if you end up at another school, but you'd want to be absolutely certain. Things like funding (masters programs often unfunded, PhD usually has at least some funding, if not complete) and your advisor/methor's availability to masters students are important to take into account. In my experience it is much better to get this information from masters students rather than professors, unless you are familiar with the program already.

I was waitlisted at the University of North Dakota and New Mexico State University (both counseling programs). However, I have notified both schools that I have accepted an offer at another school (developmental, so none of you have to worry about that :laugh: )

Best of luck to all of you!

I will be giving up my spot at U. Missouri (Columbia) for their Counseling Ph.D. program. Just waiting on the official letter from my other offer before letting go. Hope that will help someone out!

If the person who was waitlisted at UNC is on here, would you mind PMing me your POI? Thanks!

Spoke to the DCT today and the details of the wait list are a little murky but apparently I am on it none the less. I am trying to see this as a positive rather than a negative, but I have a feeling that because applications are so numerous this year Northwestern is not in my future....sigh.

Spoke to the DCT today and the details of the wait list are a little murky but apparently I am on it none the less. I am trying to see this as a positive rather than a negative, but I have a feeling that because applications are so numerous this year Northwestern is not in my future....sigh.

Hey...can you share in more details? what track are you in?
And what do you mean by "murky"? Do you have a number on the waiting list for instance?

Hey...can you share in more details? what track are you in?
And what do you mean by "murky"? Do you have a number on the waiting list for instance?
Sure. The DCT informed me that he does not have a numbered list of any kind, he waits to hear from the PIs if the first student offered has been accepted and if the student does not accept the PI tells him their second choice and so forth until the position has been filled. I have emailed asking for further clarification as to whether or not this is a formal list that has been selected or if everyone who interviewed is on the "wait list" so to speak until someone accepts, but I have not heard back yet. My interview was in the neuropsych track. Hope that helps.

Sure. The DCT informed me that he does not have a numbered list of any kind, he waits to hear from the PIs if the first student offered has been accepted and if the student does not accept the PI tells him their second choice and so forth until the position has been filled. I have emailed asking for further clarification as to whether or not this is a formal list that has been selected or if everyone who interviewed is on the "wait list" so to speak until someone accepts, but I have not heard back yet. My interview was in the neuropsych track. Hope that helps.

Do you know if they've extended invitations to people from the other tracks yet? I'm wondering if I should inquire about my status.

Do you know if they've extended invitations to people from the other tracks yet? I'm wondering if I should inquire about my status.
Not sure we only discussed Neuropsych just call Cleo she knows.

Thanks. The problem is, I am wondering whether the alternate has been notified yet by individual POIs, which can be quite individualized I guess. However, some other POIs will notify the first alternate or first two alternates etc.
Anyway...I think the program has just been too competitive. Good luck to both of us.

I got the distinct impression that the DCT makes all the phone calls. He said he would contact the alternates as spots became available...so I dont know we will see. Good luck to you :)

Fairleigh Dickinson University
Waitlisted via postal service
Letter received on 2/27/12 :uhno:

I found out I am waitlisted for UVa. I have sent an email inquiring about my current placement on the waiting list. I am hoping I am in high ranking because this school is my top choice. I am really worried because I have not heard anything official from other schools other than 2 rejections. I am really hoping this follows through!

This process is so draining :( but I still have hope!!