2013-2014 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No way around it at all?

You don't need biochem to get accepted (at least, for this past cycle). You just needed to have it before you matriculate.

Members don't see this ad.

Around what? Not taking Biochem at all? I don't think so, but you can talk to admissions to find out.

I applied this year without having taken biochem. I took it at a local university in the Spring semester after I was accepted in OCT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still waiting on fafsa here?

It's been awfully quiet here. Anybody got off the waitlist recently??

Yes, if you don't mind sharing of course! and Congrats!
I'm sorry maybe I don't understand your question but I'm not aware of anyway of knowing where I was on the HPA list. I'm pretty sure only admissions knows that.

I'm sorry maybe I don't understand your question but I'm not aware of anyway of knowing where I was on the HPA list. I'm pretty sure only admissions knows that.

It's alright! You actually can ask for your position on the HPA list after May 15th and the admissions office will tell you. Some of us here asked for our positions and we just want to see where have they gotten to on the wailitst. Well it doesn't matter for you anymore, so congrats and hopefully we will be classmates this coming fall!

Reactions: 1 user
Got in off the wait list (HPA) a few days ago, just declined the offer (I'm headed to NYU). Hope one of you gets my spot!

Just a few questions for any current students out there:

1. Can you give any information on what the expected daily schedule will be like this coming year? (What time classes start/end? Are there any type of PBL activities?) I hear that classes will be slightly different from the previous year.

2. Are classes mandatory and are the lectures recorded/put online?

3. I know Upstate is now doing P/F grading for the pre-clinicals, but is there any type of internal grading/ranking system?

4. Do the tests have board-style questions?

5. Does Upstate offer any type of step 1 review/prep program?

Any info on this stuff would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a few questions for any current students out there:

1. Can you give any information on what the expected daily schedule will be like this coming year? (What time classes start/end? Are there any type of PBL activities?) I hear that classes will be slightly different from the previous year.

2. Are classes mandatory and are the lectures recorded/put online?

3. I know Upstate is now doing P/F grading for the pre-clinicals, but is there any type of internal grading/ranking system?

4. Do the tests have board-style questions?

5. Does Upstate offer any type of step 1 review/prep program?

Any info on this stuff would be great. Thanks!

1. The class schedule varies day to day and your first year will be very different (better) than ours so it's hard to say. There are PBL activities throughout the year.

2. Most classes are not mandatory except for anatomy lab and classes that have a quiz that day (MLC and radiology). Lectures are recorded and put online. There are a decent amount of students, myself included, that never go to class and only watch lectures online.

3. The only thing that your grades from the first 2 years will be used for is eligibility for AOA (honor society). Other than that they don't count for rankings at all.

4. The tests are all board style questions

5. Kaplan review for step 1 comes with your tuition

1. The class schedule varies day to day and your first year will be very different (better) than ours so it's hard to say. There are PBL activities throughout the year.

2. Most classes are not mandatory except for anatomy lab and classes that have a quiz that day (MLC and radiology). Lectures are recorded and put online. There are a decent amount of students, myself included, that never go to class and only watch lectures online.

3. The only thing that your grades from the first 2 years will be used for is eligibility for AOA (honor society). Other than that they don't count for rankings at all.

4. The tests are all board style questions

5. Kaplan review for step 1 comes with your tuition

Wow, thanks! Just another thing if you don't mind commenting.

Overall, how has your experience been at Upstate? Is the school everything that you expected? Anything your particularly like or wish was different (How are facilities, interaction with other students/faculty, opportunity for different things)?

I appreciate it, thanks!

Wow, thanks! Just another thing if you don't mind commenting.

Overall, how has your experience been at Upstate? Is the school everything that you expected? Anything your particularly like or wish was different (How are facilities, interaction with other students/faculty, opportunity for different things)?

I appreciate it, thanks!

I honestly love upstate. I am thankful every day to be in medical school and upstate is a great fit for me. The students are all really nice and I think the P/F curriculum leads to a supportive environment. There are great clubs to get involved in, in a multitude of different fields and there are opportunities to start clinics/volunteer things if you'd like. I really like the emphasis on volunteering that upstate has. Something I wish were different would be a more streamlined curriculum but they showed us your first year compared to ours and it looks like they are making great strides in the right direction.

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly love upstate. I am thankful every day to be in medical school and upstate is a great fit for me. The students are all really nice and I think the P/F curriculum leads to a supportive environment. There are great clubs to get involved in, in a multitude of different fields and there are opportunities to start clinics/volunteer things if you'd like. I really like the emphasis on volunteering that upstate has. Something I wish were different would be a more streamlined curriculum but they showed us your first year compared to ours and it looks like they are making great strides in the right direction.

the new curriculum sounds really exciting. i can't wait to start. can you describe what the new curriculum will be like?

You will be taking anatomy the entire year whereas we took it in 2 months. This is to allow for a more systems based curriculum. We also had a few classes that we only had for one unit so if you failed you had to retake it in the summer and if you failed more than 1 I believe you're standing in school has to be reviewed. Now there are no classes (I believe) that are only in 1 unit so if you don't do well on 1 test it gives you the opportunity to make it up in another unit. I'm glad you're excited to get started; I know we are very excited to welcome in the new class. I wish you and everyone the best of luck and feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

You will be taking anatomy the entire year whereas we took it in 2 months. This is to allow for a more systems based curriculum. We also had a few classes that we only had for one unit so if you failed you had to retake it in the summer and if you failed more than 1 I believe you're standing in school has to be reviewed. Now there are no classes (I believe) that are only in 1 unit so if you don't do well on 1 test it gives you the opportunity to make it up in another unit. I'm glad you're excited to get started; I know we are very excited to welcome in the new class. I wish you and everyone the best of luck and feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

DrJonesenberg, thank you for taking the time to answer these questions. Upstate is where I will going as of right now and it really helps to have all this information incase a quick decision needs to be made in the upcoming weeks. I have thought of a few more questions that I hope you can answer/give you opinion on:

1. How many weeks off does Upstate give students to prepare for step 1? And do you have any idea what the average score is at Upstate?

2. I don't really know what I am talking about, but an entire year for anatomy seems like quite a long time. Of course I realize that cramming anatomy into 2 months seems awful, but in your opinion, will an entire year of studying anatomy be equally bad?

3. You mentioned in a recent post that the new curriculum hasn't been approved yet. Do you think it definitely will be approved before classes start in 2 months?

4. Lastly, when exactly did a new curriculum start? It seems like your classes went through a new curriculum(right?), but our class will also be going through a new curriculum. Is our year just an improvement on your year, or is it pretty much a totally new curriculum? The reason I ask is because I've heard that students who are the first to go through a new curriculum might be at a disadvantage because all of the kinks have not been work out yet. So I'm just wondering if our year could possibly face problems with a new curriculum or are we at an advantage because our curriculum is just an improvement of the curriculum your class had. I hope I am clear with what I am trying to say.

Thanks again!

Is there a page on Upstate website that outlines what the new curriculum will be like for incoming students?

DrJonesenberg, thank you for taking the time to answer these questions. Upstate is where I will going as of right now and it really helps to have all this information incase a quick decision needs to be made in the upcoming weeks. I have thought of a few more questions that I hope you can answer/give you opinion on:

1. How many weeks off does Upstate give students to prepare for step 1? And do you have any idea what the average score is at Upstate?

2. I don't really know what I am talking about, but an entire year for anatomy seems like quite a long time. Of course I realize that cramming anatomy into 2 months seems awful, but in your opinion, will an entire year of studying anatomy be equally bad?

3. You mentioned in a recent post that the new curriculum hasn't been approved yet. Do you think it definitely will be approved before classes start in 2 months?

4. Lastly, when exactly did a new curriculum start? It seems like your classes went through a new curriculum(right?), but our class will also be going through a new curriculum. Is our year just an improvement on your year, or is it pretty much a totally new curriculum? The reason I ask is because I've heard that students who are the first to go through a new curriculum might be at a disadvantage because all of the kinks have not been work out yet. So I'm just wondering if our year could possibly face problems with a new curriculum or are we at an advantage because our curriculum is just an improvement of the curriculum your class had. I hope I am clear with what I am trying to say.

Thanks again!

It's no problem answering your questions this is a big decision to make so I'm happy to help.

1. I believe you have about 6 weeks to study for step 1. You're done with everything by the end of march and most people take the test in the beginning of may

2. I don't believe that anatomy will be every day but rather you'll have it when it is relevant. It is just going to occur throughout the year

3. I don't see any reason why the curriculum won't be approved before you start.

4. Our class was the guinea pig class and yes we were at a huge disadvantage. It appears that they have worked out the kinks and your curriculum will run much smoother than ours but it's impossible to say until it starts

It's no problem answering your questions this is a big decision to make so I'm happy to help.

1. I believe you have about 6 weeks to study for step 1. You're done with everything by the end of march and most people take the test in the beginning of may

2. I don't believe that anatomy will be every day but rather you'll have it when it is relevant. It is just going to occur throughout the year

3. I don't see any reason why the curriculum won't be approved before you start.

4. Our class was the guinea pig class and yes we were at a huge disadvantage. It appears that they have worked out the kinks and your curriculum will run much smoother than ours but it's impossible to say until it starts

this new curriculum sounds really exciting. I wish I could get a sample of what it'll be like lol. Anyway, I am pumped AF to start!!!

Any one from HPA get accepted this week?

Just got off the waitlist for Bim (not my first choice but I will take it)!! and will be attending! Don't lose hopes guys!

Has anyone gotten the white coat ceremony registration info yet?

+1 for everything my friend said here, and all his following comments are pretty accurate too. curriculum shouldn't be a problem. they seem to be taking our class's opinions seriously and trying to address them one at a time.

I'm going to interview here on Sept. 29th. Does anyone from last year's thread remember the MMI interview and can share any specifics, the format scares me :'(

I'm going to interview here on Sept. 29th. Does anyone from last year's thread remember the MMI interview and can share any specifics, the format scares me :'(

don't be its super relaxed. the student interviewers are really nice and are not out to get you. many will in fact attempt to help you out by softly nudging the conversation towards a path that gives you a chance to show off yourself.

don't be its super relaxed. the student interviewers are really nice and are not out to get you. many will in fact attempt to help you out by softly nudging the conversation towards a path that gives you a chance to show off yourself.
Lol thanks bro but I already got in. Gg for the kids still interviewing tho

Im a senior year undergraduate. I have a cumulative 3.3 science GPA because of a few bad grades freshman and sophomore year. I now have straight A's and hope to do a considerable amount of post bac work within the next year and a half and get a killer MCAT score. Any advice? Do I have any shot of being accepted?

Im a senior year undergraduate. I have a cumulative 3.3 science GPA because of a few bad grades freshman and sophomore year. I now have straight A's and hope to do a considerable amount of post bac work within the next year and a half and get a killer MCAT score. Any advice? Do I have any shot of being accepted?
Of course. A 3.3 isn't a death sentence