2013-2014 Underdawgs Thread ( Lets get it)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am all for user3 giving other people hopes. After all, many of us apply DO because we believe in the 'holistic' aspect of DO schools. I think many in the DO forum have been taking the same tone with the MD forum lately, which I think is sad...

I think User3 knows things stats-wise really well. It seems like he sits on front of his computer looking at people's stats all day. That said, I don't agree with him on the stats line of 3.0/23 to be competitive. I think it's 3.5/25.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think User3 knows things stats-wise really well. It seems like he sits on front of his computer looking at people's stats all day. That said, I don't agree with him on the stats line of 3.0/23 to be competitive. I think it's 3.5/25.
Agree with you there.
com·pet·i·tive
kəmˈpetətiv/

adjective
  1. as good as or better than others of a comparable nature.
    "a car industry competitive with any in the world"
3.0/23 = Competitive? No. Below average is not competitive; I would call a 3.0/23 candidate an underdog with a bit of a chance. Maybe a competitive underdog. ;)
3.5/25 = Around DO applicant average = competitive.

User3 gives everyone hope and then cherry picks the few success stories as if they were the norm. Lately, though, I have at least seen him admit there is a two tier system where DO underdogs are very unlikely to enter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think user3 exaggerate stuff sometimes, but I think 3.5 GPA is too high. If someone has a 3.3 GPA, 24 MCAT and apply to 'low tier' DO schools in term of stats, that person will likely get in somewhere...

99% of my gripe was with that whole "3.0/23 = competitive" thing. Competitive to me means the applicant has odds greater than 50% of getting in and doesn't have to do crazy things like apply to more than 15 schools.

recently i read somewhere that someone with a 3.4 GPA and 27 MCAT will get into a DO school if his/her ECs are decent and that there aren't anything egregious such as serious academic IAs or criminal convictions.

is this pretty accurate?

recently i read somewhere that someone with a 3.4 GPA and 27 MCAT will get into a DO school if his/her ECs are decent and that there aren't anything egregious such as serious academic IAs or criminal convictions.

is this pretty accurate?
This pretty is accurate IMO, but people can still get in with lower stats than these.

is this pretty accurate?

Well replace get in with have a good shot of getting into. But generally that's about the average for a matriculate.

This pretty is accurate IMO, but people can still get in with lower stats than these.

It's all about having the highest chance. You can get in with a 3.0/23, but if statistically the chance is 1 in 10, then it's a gamble not worth it in my opinion ( Average reject was like a 3.3/24.5). I wish AACOM would recreate a stat grid like they have on the MD site.

The issue with user3 is that he doesn't accept that the plethora of anecdotes =/= statistical data. It's the issue here that makes him believe that a 3.0/23 will get in.

Someone please bonk me on the head tomorrow to update the front list tomorrow. I'm a week behind.... and lazy..

@user3 is like Batman. He/She is the Hero underdawgs deserve, but not the one they need right now. So we will say he's crazy that people can get in with a 3.0. Because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He is a vocal guardian, a watchful statistic observer. The Dark Dawg.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@user3 is like Batman. He/She is the Hero underdawgs deserve, but not the one they need right now. So we will say he's crazy that people can get in with a 3.0. Because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He is a vocal guardian, a watchful statistic observer. The Dark Dawg.

Would you say everyone else merely adopted the underdog status? Do you think User3 was born in it, molded by it?

It's all about having the highest chance. You can get in with a 3.0/23, but if statistically the chance is 1 in 10, then it's a gamble not worth it in my opinion ( Average reject was like a 3.3/24.5). I wish AACOM would recreate a stat grid like they have on the MD site.
I never say it is that low as user3 does (3.0/23), but I still think someone with 3.3 GPA and 24-25 MCAT has a good shot of getting in somewhere as long as that person apply to schools like LMU-DCOM, ACOM, LUCOM, VCOM, CUSOM, KYCOM, WVSOM, PNWU, LECOM-SH etc... Am I wrong?

I never say it is that low as user3 does (3.0/23), but I still think someone with 3.3 GPA and 24-25 MCAT has a good shot of getting in somewhere as long as that person apply to schools like LMU-DCOM, ACOM, LUCOM, VCOM, CUSOM, KYCOM, WVSOM, PNWU, LECOM-SH etc... Am I wrong?

Well 4 of those schools are very very very in-state/ in-region heavy. That being said I would say that they'd have a shot, but not a good shot. All of those schools have higher averages than those which implies that there is a higher chance of not being accept than being accepted. Hence the notion of competitiveness.

All I can say is that when schools have averages of 3.5/26 and you're applying with a 3.3/24 chances are good that you may not get in. I mean I don't see why this notion is so hard for people to accept.

Well 4 of those schools are very very very in-state/ in-region heavy. That being said I would say that they'd have a shot, but not a good shot. All of those schools have higher averages than those which implies that there is a higher chance of not being accept than being accepted. Hence the notion of competitiveness.

All I can say is that when schools have averages of 3.5/26 and you're applying with a 3.3/24 chances are good that you may not get in. I mean I don't see why this notion is so hard for people to accept.
Only 2 are in-state heavy (KYCOM, PNWU)...WVSOM and VCOM do NOT have big regional bias

Underdog here,

3.5 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 24 MCAT (7/8/9)

Interviewed at ATSU-SOMA, DMU, PNWU, CUSOM, ACOM, and MUCOM
Accepted at ATSU-SOMA, DMU, PNWU, CUSOM,
Attending ATSU-SOMA

Reactions: 1 users
Underdog here,

Attending ATSU-SOMA
Congrats! You will take a pass on DMU for SOMA! Are you from AZ?

Congrats! You will take a pass on DMU for SOMA! Are you from AZ?
No I'm from Utah, but I got some awesome vibes from SOMA and I was placed in the Seattle CHC. Living in the midwest away from mountains at DMU for that long would probably kill me!

but its' not nearly as instate bias as public MD state schools are, right?
Nope...These MD state schools usually have <20% OS matriculated students... I don't think these DO schools are so in-state heavy.

Underdog here,

Attending ATSU-SOMA

With 6 ii's and 4 acceptances it's kind of hard to call you an UD.

soma and DMU seem to be accepting a lot of lower stats this year.

I think it's clear that a 3.3/24 is fine as long as the applicant has their ducks in a row.

By the way, where is User3 in all this talk? I'm waiting for him to show up here.

I think it's clear that a 3.3/24 is fine as long as the applicant has their ducks in a row.

damn, you literally posted this like 2sec before my post!

I think their acceptance to DMU implies that they have something excellent in their app tbh. I've been on hold at DMU since october with much higher stats.

purely from a GPA perspective, is a 3.6 cGPA and 3.28 (or 3.31) sGPA considered good enough for most DO schools?

my MCAT is a 35, but a few of my friends have mid/high 20s MCAT or no MCAT yet.

What would be the most useful thing for a future reapp with a 3.2 GPA, 28 MCAT to do for admission chances (besides retaking the MCAT)? SMP? Post-Bac? Regular Master's Program?

purely from a GPA perspective, is a 3.6 cGPA and 3.28 (or 3.31) sGPA considered good enough for most DO schools?

my MCAT is a 35, but a few of my friends have mid/high 20s MCAT or no MCAT yet.

That MCAT more than makes up for the sGPA as long as you're not a head case or have any other red flags on your app.

What would be the most useful thing for a future reapp with a 3.2 GPA, 28 MCAT to do for admission chances (besides retaking the MCAT)? SMP? Post-Bac? Regular Master's Program?

Wouldn't invest all the money into either of those. Retake some science courses to up your sGPA at a community college and dedicate the extra time to a meaningful cause. Something you find meaningful that is, and something you can speak to in a PS or an interview. If you're worried about the numbers, then do things that prove you're more than the numbers.

Your stats are not bad for DO... Is there a red flag in your app? Do you have good ECs, shadowing etc... Did you apply to only top tiers? You should have gotten in this cycle...

I think their acceptance to DMU implies that they have something excellent in their app tbh. I've been on hold at DMU since october with much higher stats.

I interviewed at DMU.

Don't go by stats at all. From what I learned, DMU is big on fit. You either fit the vision of the school or you don't.

I interviewed at DMU.

Don't go by stats at all. From what I learned, DMU is big on fit. You either fit the vision of the school or you don't.

Agreed. DMU was very interested in my personal statement topics and my life outside of academics. They of course asked about academic related things but showed much more interest in who I was, not just what my numbers were.

Agreed. DMU was very interested in my personal statement topics and my life outside of academics. They of course asked about academic related things but showed much more interest in who I was, not just what my numbers were.

+1

I was really impressed when one of the interviewers picked out a small theme in my PS no one else saw. They really look for consistency in what you say.

+1

I was really impressed when one of the interviewers picked out a small theme in my PS no one else saw. They really look for consistency in what you say.

That they do. I had one sentence about my grandfather, and it ended up being 10 minutes of conversation during my interview.

I interviewed at DMU.

This is the impression I have been getting. Same seems to be the case with soma. Admissions is still competitive at these schools (over 40 applicants per seat at SOMA), even though they aren't that numbers driven.

I love your name
1391098517691.jpg

Hi all!

I have a BS in biochemistry, with 3.4 sGPA, a MS in Immunology with 2 first author publications, my MCAT is pretty low: 23 (9/5/9) second time taking it

I've filled out secondaries to : LECOM, NYIT, DMU, PNWU, TUCOM, LUCOM, PCOM, MWU CCOM, AZCOM, LMU-DCOM, and ACOM

but have not gotten any interviews yet, although I did apply in late October. I got accepted into ROSS, but would really prefer to go to a US DO school. This is also my second time applying..

Any thoughts would advice would be appreciated!
If you are interested in primary care i.e. FM, IM, PEDS, Psych, ROSS is not a terrible option. However, I think you would better serve yourself by retaking the MCAT a 3rd time and increase your VR by 2+ points. By the way, I would go to AUC before going to ROSS because I heard so many terrible stuff about ROSS.

Edit: You can also do a post-back program at LECOM or LMU-DCOM that somewhat guarantee an acceptance to their DO program as long as you do well in the program.

Last edited:
Admittedly I'm kinda surprised someone with a MS in immuno scored that low in the BS section.

Anywho. Don't do Carib. Retake it a 3rd time and work on that verbal.

Admittedly I'm kinda surprised someone with a MS in immuno scored that low in the BS section.

Anywho. Don't do Carib. Retake it a 3rd time and work on that verbal.
There is very little immuno in the MCAT...Remember that orgo is about 25% of the BS section. Therefore, I am not surprised. There was a poster in the WAMC forum with PhD in biology or physiology and only got 10 in BS. The MCAT is just a different beast.

Please keep discouraging comments to yourself, I came here looking for support, not jabs on how badly I did on the MCAT.
Thanks, I know taking the MCAT again would be an option, but I'm currently focused on how I can get in this cycle.
Wow... I don't think serenade was too harsh except for the immuno comment, which is atypical of him/her... His/her comment about carib is legitimate.

I totally agree with you, I'm also just not the best test taker. I knew the material pretty well and took plenty of practice tests, but just can't seem to score any higher..
You should have applied to VCOM, KYCOM and WVSOM even if they have some regional bias since your MCAT score is in line with their average.

Last edited:
yes the reason I didn't apply there was because I'm not from that area...I think it might be kind of late to apply there now, what do you think?
It is late right now!But add these schools if you are reapplying next cycle... Also, apply early.