2013-2014 University of Nevada Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know when secondaries are supposed to be sent out, especially to OOS applicants?

The thread from last year show that the secondary was sent out by the end of August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the secondary this morning. I have yet to look at it yet though as I am working. Very excited though! I would love to move back home to Nevada!

I still haven't received their secondary. However, I am withdrawing my application here because I don't understand a school that waits 2+ months to even send out a secondary application. While many other schools are already extending interviews.

Good luck to all those applying this year, I hope you the best. This is my second year applying and its a long process!

This will be my last secondary and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Do they send them out in batches?

This will be my last secondary and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Do they send them out in batches?

Yeah I have absolutely no clue. I really don't understand Nevada at all. They receive far fewer applications than other schools I have applied to and have yet to even send out a secondary. I don't know exactly what this says about them?

Yeah I have absolutely no clue. I really don't understand Nevada at all. They receive far fewer applications than other schools I have applied to and have yet to even send out a secondary. I don't know exactly what this says about them?

Yeah it is very odd... not exactly confidence-inducing!

For those of you who have received a secondary - is the "Instructions" tab working? It doesn't seem to be operational on my end.

Thanks,
Bill R.

Mine didn't work either. Call Patricia Romney and she can fix it for you. 775-784-4604. Good luck with your application!

It is my understanding that Nevada only admits/interviews Nevada residents and residents of other Western states without medical schools. Any insight?

It is my understanding that Nevada only admits/interviews Nevada residents and residents of other Western states without medical schools. Any insight?

the internet is your friend:

http://www.medicine.nevada.edu/dept/asa/prospective_applicants/adm_residency.htm

read under "out-of-state student criteria"

"Students who are residents of the western states without medical schools (Idaho, Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico and Utah).
Beginning in 2013 , students from Oregon are eligible to apply to the School of Medicine for the incoming class of 2014.

Currently up to 10 to 15 spaces in the class are open to out of state applicants. That number will increase as class sizes increase. The average GPA of admitted students is 3.6 and the average MCAT is 33."

though the list of states doesn't make sense as AZ, NM and UT have medical schools.

Thank you VERY much, Thrillhouse! Tremendously helpful. Might otherwise have spent the afternoon trying to fix my computer.

-Bill R.

Has anyone had trouble uploading a photo? Also - does anyone happen to know what the character limit on the essay is? I was hoping to get started tonight, but I'm not really sure what the guidelines are.

Thanks,
Bill R.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had trouble uploading a photo? Also - does anyone happen to know what the character limit on the essay is? I was hoping to get started tonight, but I'm not really sure what the guidelines are.

Thanks,
Bill R.

Hello again! Yes I had the same questions/issues as well. There are no word limits on the essays but they did mention to only include information not on the AMCAS or that you feel is important to your application. You will most likely need to email Pat Romney your picture and ask her to upload it. Good luck!

Hello again! Yes I had the same questions/issues as well. There are no word limits on the essays but they did mention to only include information not on the AMCAS or that you feel is important to your application. You will most likely need to email Pat Romney your picture and ask her to upload it. Good luck!

Thanks once again, Thrillhouse! I guess I'll e-mail Ms. Romney tomorrow with the picture. I suppose that I should avoid answering the essay question since I haven't done anything different since submitting my AMCAS (just summer school and continued volunteering). Should be able to get the secondary out tomorrow in that case.

Good luck to you as well! Hope to see you on interview day!

-Bill R.

Thanks once again, Thrillhouse! I guess I'll e-mail Ms. Romney tomorrow with the picture. I suppose that I should avoid answering the essay question since I haven't done anything different since submitting my AMCAS (just summer school and continued volunteering). Should be able to get the secondary out tomorrow in that case.

Good luck to you as well! Hope to see you on interview day!

-Bill R.

I might reconsider answering it or asking about that when emailing about your photo. I don't recall if they're optional...

Wow, so a lot of people are getting secondaries! Should I call them and find out why I don't have mine yet? Seems so strange that they would only send to some people and not others. Are you all in state? I think since I went to high school in Nevada I a considered in state, too.

Wow, so a lot of people are getting secondaries! Should I call them and find out why I don't have mine yet? Seems so strange that they would only send to some people and not others. Are you all in state? I think since I went to high school in Nevada I a considered in state, too.

I was born and raised in Nevada but live in Washington state for college and I believe I received mine relatively quick judging by this application cycle. I was AMCAS verified 7/13 if that helps for comparison.

Got an email today from Pat Romney asking for my preference to interview in Reno or Las Vegas. The exact wording on the form:

We are beginning to look at dates for setting up interviews. Please indicate below which location you would prefer if/when invited for an interview.

In state applicant. AMCAS verified 6/28. Secondary submitted 8/21.

how "brief" are peoples research experience essays?

Received in interview invite this afternoon. In state applicant. AMCAS verified 6/28. Secondary submitted 8/21.

I'm currently a first year here at UNSOM. I LOVE the school, it's amazing. Feel free to ask me any questions :laugh:

I'm currently a first year here at UNSOM. I LOVE the school, it's amazing. Feel free to ask me any questions :laugh:

Could you comment on why it seems to take so long to receive a secondary OOS? I am an Idaho resident and called over a week ago and was told that they hadn't sent out secondaries for OOS yet. Seems odd as I have already interviewed and had IIs at other schools already.

Could you comment on why it seems to take so long to receive a secondary OOS? I am an Idaho resident and called over a week ago and was told that they hadn't sent out secondaries for OOS yet. Seems odd as I have already interviewed and had IIs at other schools already.
I'm not 100% sure since I'm a Nevada resident, but I do know that the OOS applicants have everything happen a little slower. They even get their acceptances starting feb 15 instead of jan 15. I can't give you a real answer and I don't want to guess and give false information. If you haven't already, I would recommend calling Pat Romney. She's very good with responding.

And in regards to UNSOM compared to other schools, the timeline will be slower because UNSOM doesn't operate on rolling admissions like almost all other schools. So I would say it's not too much cause for concern, but like I said, I highly recommend calling Pat. She will help you out.

Hey guys, can someone please post the prompt for the secondary on here? Thanks.

Hey guys, can someone please post the prompt for the secondary on here? Thanks.

Indicate any paid or volunteer work experience, activities, or duties and the amount of time spent which you feel to be relevant to the study of medicine (NOTE: Include dates and hours).

Have you had any practical experience in laboratory or medical research?

Is there anything else you would like to tell us?

Looks like OOS people didnt receive secondaries until late november last year. Thanks for posting the prompts!

Just wondering if anyone has already interviewed for this cycle?

I have my interview on 10/24, and wanted to know what to expect. I just interviewed at Touro Nevada and was thankful that was my first one, because I felt a little rusty; despite the fact that I am a teacher and have to speak in front of people every day.

Also, does anyone know how many of the Nevada applicants are accepted from the total of NV residents that received interviews?

My Stats: 29S (11 B, 10 PS, 8 VR) 3.85 cGPA
ECs: -numerous shadowing at Cincinnati Children's Hospital
- shadowed a doctor on a mission trip to China
- Teach for America Corps Member
- Several co-authors on clinical research publications
- I have one of the world's cutest puppies :D

So have any out of staters received the secondary yet? Pat mentioned they'd be sent out sometime mid October. Just getting a little antsy!

Also, thanks for posting the secondary! Any word limits/character counts to be aware of?

What is the format of the curriculum? (i.e. organ systems based, systems based, etc.)
Also, I have an interview on next Thursday, October 24th in Vegas. Could you offer any insight as to what the interviewers tend to favor in regards to commitment to rural medicine, underserved, community service?

Many Thanks!
Alex

What is the format of the curriculum? (i.e. organ systems based, systems based, etc.)
Also, I have an interview on next Thursday, October 24th in Vegas. Could you offer any insight as to what the interviewers tend to favor in regards to commitment to rural medicine, underserved, community service?

Many Thanks!
Alex
The first two years are split into blocks, and each block focuses on certain systems. So we finished the first block last week which was an intro and covered general sciences such as biochem and genetics. We also had embryology, histology, pharmacology, and some others to ease in. That format is not entirely normal for the rest of the year however. The other blocks are a lot more focused. Block 2 started this week and it's only on the cardiovascular, respiratory, and renal systems. I'm not sure what block 3 is but block 4 is musculoskeletal system and block 5 is neuroanatomy. This format continues into second year. So there's a general idea for you.

As far as the interview, I talked a lot about community service, as well as some research. I know those two are very important to the school. I can't comment on rural since I never had any experience with that. Be prepared to answer ethical questions as well as personal questions about what you like to do, read, etc. I'm sure you know by now that there will be a student and doctor interview. Do not blow off the student interview! Unsom gives a lot of value to the student interviews so take it just as seriously.

I interviewed in Vegas a year ago, so if you have specific questions feel free to pm me. Good luck!!!

I had my interview last week. Standard 2 semi-blind, one-on-one interviews. Tour. Financial planning talk. Sit in on a class.

The faculty interview was first. Pretty relaxed. Asked me a lot of questions pertaining to my personal statement.

Second student interview, asked me ethical questions about abortion and healthcare. Also asked weaknesses and what I would do if I didn't get in.

Small school but really reasonably priced and very nice people you work/go there.

Hey: Fourth year med student attending UNSOM. I try to make it to this thread every year to give comments, answer questions, etc. Currently am an interviewer at Las Vegas as well, I typically do two interviews a week unless I'm out of the city interviewing for residency.

Will answer almost any and all questions as long as you're kind and respectful. Will not answer questions about specific students, applicants, and somewhat more guarded about revealing information about professors but if you have a question about the professor you're interviewing with ask it anyway and see how I'm feeling.

So far my comments to the people asking about "what it says about our school" that the interviews weren't complete on the same time scale other schools have: it means we're damn efficient, because you get acceptance letters around the same time as other schools. So stop freaking out, how our administration runs our ad com doesn't reflect anything about our schools education.

Best of luck to everyone applying. Nevada offers an education that far exceeds average; my classes board scores had about 5-10/60 that were below the national average, everyone else was above with 5-10 students scoring above the 90th percentile. School is laid back, patient populations are extremely diverse, and Reno's pretty beautiful. UMC is poor as dirt but because of it we get a hands on education that is second to none due to the high patient volumes/homeless and the autonomy that is required to make sure everything gets done on time and done well. Wouldn't trade my clinical experience at UMC for one from an ivy league.

Just had my interview here on Thursday, 10/24. I absolutely loved the conversations I had during both of the interviews. Everything that I experienced during the whole day made me really psyched on the possibility of going to UNSOM!

Hey: Fourth year med student attending UNSOM. I try to make it to this thread every year to give comments, answer questions, etc. Currently am an interviewer at Las Vegas as well, I typically do two interviews a week unless I'm out of the city interviewing for residency.

Will answer almost any and all questions as long as you're kind and respectful. Will not answer questions about specific students, applicants, and somewhat more guarded about revealing information about professors but if you have a question about the professor you're interviewing with ask it anyway and see how I'm feeling.

So far my comments to the people asking about "what it says about our school" that the interviews weren't complete on the same time scale other schools have: it means we're damn efficient, because you get acceptance letters around the same time as other schools. So stop freaking out, how our administration runs our ad com doesn't reflect anything about our schools education.

Best of luck to everyone applying. Nevada offers an education that far exceeds average; my classes board scores had about 5-10/60 that were below the national average, everyone else was above with 5-10 students scoring above the 90th percentile. School is laid back, patient populations are extremely diverse, and Reno's pretty beautiful. UMC is poor as dirt but because of it we get a hands on education that is second to none due to the high patient volumes/homeless and the autonomy that is required to make sure everything gets done on time and done well. Wouldn't trade my clinical experience at UMC for one from an ivy league.

Hi Lem0nz,

Does UNR screen in-state applicants before sending out secondary applications?
Also, does UNR take graduate school GPA into account for a poor undergraduate GPA?

Thanks!

bug

Hi Lem0nz,

Also, does UNR take graduate school GPA into account for a poor undergraduate GPA?

Thanks!

bug
At my interview, one of the admissions ladies said that they don't consider graduate gpa at all

That's rediclous. My graduate classes, like advanced biochem, were way harder than any undergrad class. I do research for my degree 7 days a week. All for nothing. Medical school admissions need some serious reform. The last medical graduate I talked to couldn't even look me in the eye, or have a proper conversation with me. I hope this is not what the future of being a doctors is coming too, having your PA diagnose and do all the talking to your patients for you. All perfect grades and socially awkward people chosen over people who just genuinely want to take care of others but had a small rough patch and even though they work their butt off getting a graduate degree trying to prove themselves it doesn't matter. I might disagree with a lot of you out there but something here plain wrong. Nothing is ever worth anything to you unless you have to fight it.

Hi Lem0nz,

Thanks!

bug

Graduate gpa isn't used to calculate your score by which you are placed into an applicant pool: your undergrad gpa and mcat are used to place all the applicants who interviewed into one of three tiers. The applications of the top tier are reviewed in January, middle in February, and bottom in March. Graduate gpa does not calculate into this score. However, graduate gpa is most definitely considered when your file is being reviewed by the adcom. I was accepted third round for this reason. So don't worry, a low undergrad gpa does not preclude you from acceptance.

Hopefully someone can help me out. My pre-professional committee advisor has informed me that Genetics 304 will not fulfill the requirement of the genetics course required from UNSOM. He said that I need to take Genetics 300. I have looked online at their required courses listed and it doesn't even have Genetics as a required course. Does anyone know if Genetics 300 is required? and if it is, does it HAVE to be 300 or would 304 fulfill the reqirement? TIA

Any OOS secondaries sent out?
I have not received one yet. They put all of the OOSers through a sub committee to decided whether to extend a invitation to fill out a secondary (by email) or a rejection (by snail mail). I just talked to admissions (super super nice by the way) and the lady that I talked with said that the November 15th secondary deadline did not apply to the OOSer because the committee may have not made a decision by that time. She said that if a secondary is given the due date is two weeks.

I'm OOS, but from the west region, and I just received my secondary invite.

Just curious if anyone has received any acceptances/rejections/etc. following the first committee meeting on 1/10?