2013 Doctoral Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an email from Pitt yesterday...I was accepted to the PhD program in Epi!!! :D

The official letter will be mailed later, I'm guessing with all the details, but its great to know I'm going somewhere! :soexcited:

Hope to hear more good news in the PhD forum in the next couple of weeks!!

:highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats!!

Got an email from Pitt yesterday...I was accepted to the PhD program in Epi!!! :D

The official letter will be mailed later, I'm guessing with all the details, but its great to know I'm going somewhere! :soexcited:

I'm not applying for public health exactly, but I did apply for the Biobehavioral Health PhD at Penn State. I'm super nervous about my application because its my top choice school/program!

Congratulations!!

Has anyone heard from Yale? I think they sent out interview invites today?

I just got an interview invitation email from Yale. I am applying to PhD in CDE. Is anybody here also going to the recruitment day? I was also wondering how the chance is to get in if being invited for an interview.

Has anyone here gone through the BU interview process yet? Received notification of interview yesterday (PhD in Health Services Research) - they indicated that it would be with the "admissions committee," but given that it's a phone interview, I imagine it can't be with more than a couple of professors. Any words of wisdom?

Heard from a couple schools, decisions should be coming in the next two weeks. If only I had the money to take a distracting vacation

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an interview with UW (PhD in Health Services) yesterday, and interviewing with BU (DrPH in Community Health Sciences) on Friday.

Harvard (SD in what seems to now be called 'Social and Behavioral Sciences') told me that interviews are NOT part of their application process.

No word from JHU (PhD Health Behavior and Society).

Hope that's of use to some of you. It's also a nice outlet for my stress!

Members don't see this ad :)
rejection from Drexel Epi program--looks like they've notified successful applicants
It appears not everyone who applied got a reply back (namely, moi). I suppose I am in a limbo period.

UPenn Emailed me for an interview. I applied for their injury epi program. Not sure how I should prepare for the interview, if at all.

It appears not everyone who applied got a reply back (namely, moi). I suppose I am in a limbo period.

UPenn Emailed me for an interview. I applied for their injury epi program. Not sure how I should prepare for the interview, if at all.
I also applied to Drexel (PhD in Epi) and haven't heard anything.

Other Epidemiology PhD programs I applied to include:

-GWU (Accepted via email 1/22)
-UPitt ('Provisionally Accepted' via email 1/24)
-BU
-Tulane
-Yale
-HSPH

Good luck to everyone!

-UPitt ('Provisionally Accepted' via email 1/24)

I just got an e-mail today from Pitt saying that I was provisionally accepted as well. Any idea what that means?

EDIT: PhD in Epidemiology, btw. Also, looks like provisionally admitted means that the applicant is in satisfactory progress toward completing all criteria, but all criteria for admission must be complete before classes start, or something similar to that.

I just got an e-mail today from Pitt saying that I was provisionally accepted as well. Any idea what that means?

EDIT: PhD in Epidemiology, btw. Also, looks like provisionally admitted means that the applicant is in satisfactory progress toward completing all criteria, but all criteria for admission must be complete before classes start, or something similar to that.
An advisor in my MPH program suggested it may mean "upon completion of my MPH this spring". Although the UPitt Epi department website doesn't necessarily state that its a requirement for PhD acceptance.

Who knows.. Eagerly awaiting the packet to come in the mail.

I just got an interview invitation email from Yale. I am applying to PhD in CDE. Is anybody here also going to the recruitment day? I was also wondering how the chance is to get in if being invited for an interview.

Very good. In my class, of the 20 or so who interviewed, 14 were my classmates the following year. So you've made it through the toughest part :) Congrats!

An advisor in my MPH program suggested it may mean "upon completion of my MPH this spring". Although the UPitt Epi department website doesn't necessarily state that its a requirement for PhD acceptance.

Who knows.. Eagerly awaiting the packet to come in the mail.

That's what I'm assuming. I am still in my MPH program and am graduating in May. I really hope the packet is as detailed as I think it should be. If there is no info about funding, I am going to be sad.

I am very sorry to have to inform you that our admissions committee has decided not to admit you for Doctor of Public Health study in the Department of Behavioral and Community Health Sciences at the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health. It is the determination of the committee that your application is not sufficiently competitive for this program.

Yep, but I'm not too concerned. I actually expect rejections from my other schools as well. I just wanted to post it so that others out their on the forums don't feel too bad. In grad applications, as in life, persistence, character, and a positive response to less than ideal outcomes are how we move forward.

I emailed those faculty members I have spoken with at the school in order to provoke constructive criticism regarding my materials and to be able to improve upon my professional representation.

Yep, but I'm not too concerned. I actually expect rejections from my other schools as well. I just wanted to post it so that others out their on the forums don't feel too bad. In grad applications, as in life, persistence, character, and a positive response to less than ideal outcomes are how we move forward.

I emailed those faculty members I have spoken with at the school in order to provoke constructive criticism regarding my materials and to be able to improve upon my professional representation.

I've found that many faculty will respond honestly to these requests, so hopefully they can provide some insight.

Good luck with the rest of your applications, Vayu.

I applied to 5 PhD epidemiology programs and so far 2/5 are rejections. My background is an MS in epidemiology from one of the top public health programs, lots of research experience, several 1st author publications in progress (one just got accepted with minor revisions and two more manuscripts are in data analysis phase), strong GRE scores, and graduate GPA at 3.7 (a little low for PhD programs). Not sure what is going wrong with my applications... Hoping for some good news soon!

Funding can be a tight all the top programs have acceptance rates that are like 10% or less, so don't fret too much if you don't get in right away, it doesn't mean you're not a great candidate!

any new results/interviews/acceptances?
crossing fingers for everyone!

I am applying to the PhD program at Claremont Grad University in Health Promotion Sciences. Any feedback for me? Can someone read my personal statement? :) I'm a bit worried about applying to this program.

I had friends get into UW eli (PhD) last year and they did NOT all receive notification on the same day. Don't stress yourself out (too much!) yet.

My 1st phone interview with UPenn went great. This is the 1st interview of 5. The interview was partly the professor trying to get me to go there. How did other peoples interviews go? When they ask, "Do you have any other questions?" does anyone have good questions? Mine was to ask how many projects they are working on at the time.

My 1st phone interview with UPenn went great. This is the 1st interview of 5. The interview was partly the professor trying to get me to go there. How did other peoples interviews go? When they ask, "Do you have any other questions?" does anyone have good questions? Mine was to ask how many projects they are working on at the time.

What do you look for in successful applicants?
If there is one or two things you wish was different about the training program here, what would it be?
What are some things that you believe really stand out or is unique about the training program here relative to other programs?
Though this may vary from year to year, but what do graduates of your program have done post-graduation?
Do you have a sense that graduates of the program keep in contact with the program? What is the alumni network like?
Can you speak to some research that may be in the works that addresses health disparities?
One of the things I am interest in is (insert), what may be some opportunities in the training program that aligns with my interests?
Where is a good place to grab a bite to eat around here?

I finally got my first bit of news: I just got an email inviting me for a phone interview at Columbia (Sociomedical Sciences). I can't decide if I'm more excited or nervous... any helpful tips/advice would be much appreciated!

I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. I've applied to four schools for environmental/occupational health (for the most part). Here's my stats so far:

• Univ. Illinois-Chicago: accepted! I heard informally from a professor, still waiting for the formal letter and funding info
  • BU: Invited to attend prospective students day next week, to which they invite only "the strongest applicants"
  • Harvard: Still waiting to hear back. I applied to the Social and Behavioral Science SD program
  • Hopkins: Waitlisted to the Health and Public Policy PhD program as of today.

Does anyone have a guess as to the chances of getting into JHSPH after being waitlisted?

Thanks!

I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. I've applied to four schools for environmental/occupational health (for the most part). Here's my stats so far:

• Univ. Illinois-Chicago: accepted! I heard informally from a professor, still waiting for the formal letter and funding info
  • BU: Invited to attend prospective students day next week, to which they invite only "the strongest applicants"
  • Harvard: Still waiting to hear back. I applied to the Social and Behavioral Science SD program
  • Hopkins: Waitlisted to the Health and Public Policy PhD program as of today.

Does anyone have a guess as to the chances of getting into JHSPH after being waitlisted?

Thanks!

For Hopkins Health Services Research, I hear that that the waitlist is short and they see movement off the waitlist every year. Not sure about the Health & Public Policy track, but it may be the same.

I just got an email from Yale's Chronic Epi department

" Due to the recent blizzard conditions, our decisions will be delayed until mid-March."

That seems like forever away!

I saw that the Harvard epi department notified a few people today. If anyone received an accept/reject for the SD program can you tell me what concentration you applied for? Thanks!

Just heard back from UNC health policy today - I got in! I applied to the decision science track.

And I was rejected by Hopkins (health economics) a couple days ago. Guess it's time to leave Baltimore!

I saw that the Harvard epi department notified a few people today. If anyone received an accept/reject for the SD program can you tell me what concentration you applied for? Thanks!
I was accepted to the HSPH SD Epi program, and have an interest in the reproductive concentration.

I was accepted into the Epidemiology PhD program at Rochester and SUNY Buffalo, both with tuition waiver and stipend, and decided to accept the latter's offer. My stats and the details are in my signature. Please feel free to PM me for any question and further discussions.

I was accepted to Penn State for Biobehavioral Health today! I received an assistantship, as well as an award that pays a living stipend for my first year. I'm pretty thrilled. I already decided that I will attend. :D:D:D:D

Congrats everyone on acceptances! I had an interview with Drexel's Epi PhD and Pitts PhD in CHS hope to hear from both of those programs next week *fingers crossed*

Hey everyone! I got my big news last week. Accepted to JHSPH DrPH in Epi with 100% tuition support! Hip Hip Hooray!!! Are there any other Hopkins Epi folks out there?

Has anyone heard back from ULCA Health Services or SDSU/UCSD Epi?

Jonu, I hope you hear soon. It took me forever last year to hear back from Pitt CHS after my interview. i did get in, but did not get the e-mail until April 19th.

Heard back from UCLA about their Community Health Sciences DrPH program last Thursday Feb 21. Got an email telling me to check the website for the decision, and I got in!

They said they won't be mailing out paper letters, and that all correspondence will happen via email. Admitted students day is on March 18.

Waiting to hear back from UC Berkeley's DrPH program and UH Manoa's Community-Based and Translational Research DrPH program.

Good luck everyone!

Heard back from Michigan HBHE and I'm wait listed--feels better than an all out rejection!
Does anyone know if wait listed applicants ever make it in?