2013 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abolt18

Cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd get us started for this year! Personally I submitted June 4th, was verified the same day. I'm married with my first child on the way and I'm super stoked for this application cycle (first and hopefully only time applying). I've got OK stats... 3.38 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA, and 28O MCAT with hundreds of hours of EC's. I've got a wife and our first child on the way! :D Best of luck to all in this application cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to you. I haven't submitted yet. :( I need to take a picture of myself. I'm need two of my LOR writers to get on the ball. I'm waiting for my transcripts, and my MCAT is July 14th. I'm working on everything but this process really sucks. Oh well. Good luck to you this cycle.

Figured I'd get us started for this year! Personally I submitted June 4th, was verified the same day. I'm married with my first child on the way and I'm super stoked for this application cycle (first and hopefully only time applying). I've got OK stats... 3.38 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA, and 28O MCAT with hundreds of hours of EC's. I've got a wife and our first child on the way! :D Best of luck to all in this application cycle!

You're applying DO, correct? Good luck!

I submitted AMCAS on the 6/5, verified 6/6. AACOMAS submitted 6/1, verified 6/7.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to you. I haven't submitted yet. :( I need to take a picture of myself. I'm need two of my LOR writers to get on the ball. I'm waiting for my transcripts, and my MCAT is July 14th. I'm working on everything but this process really sucks. Oh well. Good luck to you this cycle.

You mean, your avatar isn't you?

*waves* fellow nontrad here.
i was a trad the first time around. 2nd time applying. 26yo moped mechanic ;)

3.4, 28Q (5/12!), in research 7+ years (i yearn for people no more ice cold bench!!), fashion junkie.

Picture? For what?

You mean, your avatar isn't you?

Haha... I should totally use that. It's close enough to the real thing! :p

Picture? For what?

TMDSAS has a section for uploading a picture. Maybe Texas schools only want good looking doctors. :confused: I don't know the reason but I'm going to conform.

Last edited:
You're applying DO, correct? Good luck!

I submitted AMCAS on the 6/5, verified 6/6. AACOMAS submitted 6/1, verified 6/7.

Correct, AACOMAS only! I've planned on becoming a DO since the day I learned what one was! I'm hoping to crank out the secondaries and interviews as fast as possible in hopes to get an early acceptance and take all that stress off my shoulders!. :xf:

Now that I'm done with primaries, I'm contacting Army recruiters to start my applications for the HPSP. I always wanted to serve in the military but shooting people isn't really my thing so I'm excited to be able to do so as a physician (the lack of debt, $20,000 signing bonus, and monthly stipend of about $2000 are just a plus!). Anyone else planning on the HPSP?

I'm still writing my Personal Statement (anybody want to edit it?)

uGPA: 2.91
gGPA: 3.89
cGPA: 3.05
MCAT: P12 V10 B10 (32N)

AMCAS Submitted: TBA
Transcripts: 6/1
Verification: TBA

AACOMAS Submitted: TBA

I always wanted to serve in the military but shooting people isn't really my thing so I'm excited to be able to do so as a physician (the lack of debt, $20,000 signing bonus, and monthly stipend of about $2000 are just a plus!). Anyone else planning on the HPSP?

I feel this way too. My only problem with the military is the lack of freedom you're allowed. I want to stay in-state and have freedom when choosing a residency. Right now I'm leaning towards "No". If they up the appeal by dropping a required year, or having student time count towards in-service time, then I'd probably go for it.

Last edited:
I'm still writing my Personal Statement (anybody want to edit it?)

uGPA: 2.91
gGPA: 3.89
cGPA: 3.05
MCAT: P12 V10 B10 (32N)

AMCAS Submitted: TBA

AACOMAS Submitted: TBA

I feel this way too. My only problem with the military is the lack of freedom you're allowed. I want to stay in-state and have freedom when choosing a residency. Right now I'm leaning towards "No". If they up the appeal by dropping a required year, or having student time count towards in-service time, then I'd probably go for it.

I'd read your personal statement, but I'd probably do more harm than good! (There is a reason I'm not an English major)

Great graduate GPA! What did you study for your post-bac? Also great job on the MCAT! I'm sure that's exciting to get a 32.

I understand the concern with the location and things, but to me that's always just been part of the military and something I don't really mind (as my family is still very small and not too hard to move around). I'm happy to go where they send me even if it's overseas. Like I said, I've always wanted to serve in the military, so the idea of the long commitment and the liberties you set aside temporarily are all things I accepted long ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
?blankity blank

:thumbup:

All my AACOMAS apps were verified the 4th and yestertday, the 14th of June, my application was released to all the schools! Can't wait to start getting secondaries!

Last edited:
:hello:

Non-trad here applying to MD and DO programs.

AACOMAS has been verified and sent to my schools, but I'm still waiting for my AMCAS app to get verified.

Good luck everyone.

First time applicant to MD schools here. Submitted last night only to notice a grammatical error in my personal statement that is driving me insane. Silly me, I failed to put a gerund after a preposition.

In other words, I wrote, "strengthened my commitment to become a physician," instead of "strengthened my commitment to becoming a physician." So I'm pretty sure I won't get in now :).

More about me: I have a degree in music and a lovely wife, and we are expecting our first child in January.

Last edited:
First time applicant to MD schools here. Submitted last night only to notice a grammatical error in my personal statement that is driving me insane. Silly me, I failed to put a gerund after a preposition.

In other words, I wrote, "strengthened my commitment to become a physician," instead of "strengthened my commitment to becoming a physician." So I'm pretty sure I won't get in now :).

More about me: I have a degree in music and a lovely wife, and we are expecting our first child in January.

Congrats and Good luck!!

Hey all fellow Non-Trad applicants, I'm right there with you. Honestly thought about dressing up as Bones on the most recent Star Trek movie the first day to emphasize this point. Haven't submitted yet, but will keep everyone updated as things progress. MCAT is planned for August 10 and planning on submitting at the end of June. Good luck to everyone and let's make a very strong representation for non-trads this year.

Hi All,

Excited to get this cycle rolling
I'm 8 years out of undergrad and have some unusual ECs, and a nice MCAT, but low ugpa- will be quite the crapshoot.

Stats:
3.3ugpa (from cornell, but apparently that doesn't matter much)
3.9ggpa (masters)
37Q

Ready to submit but waiting on PS comments from a friend.

Good luck to everyone- hope to meet some of you out there on the interview trail!

I've got a few years left before I post actively on one of these threads, but thought I would jump in for a minute. For those thinking military, I would suggest looking into FAP. Money-wise, it comes out about the same in the long run, but you get much more freedom in choosing your residency. The downside is that you get your money on the back end, rather than while you are in med school. I know I've been putting a lot of thought into getting back into the military for this journey (I was in the Army Reserves in the 90s) and it really seems to make the most sense overall. Check out the Military Medicine thread a bit further down the forums here, there is a TON of good info there.

I've got a few years left before I post actively on one of these threads, but thought I would jump in for a minute. For those thinking military, I would suggest looking into FAP. Money-wise, it comes out about the same in the long run, but you get much more freedom in choosing your residency. The downside is that you get your money on the back end, rather than while you are in med school. I know I've been putting a lot of thought into getting back into the military for this journey (I was in the Army Reserves in the 90s) and it really seems to make the most sense overall. Check out the Military Medicine thread a bit further down the forums here, there is a TON of good info there.

I have researched it a reasonable amount, and I just feel like the HPSP is a better fit for me. I definitely prefer the year for year exchange (rather than year for year +1), and considering everything added together I feel there is greater compensation for less commitment through the HPSP. There certainly is some risk of getting forced into being a GMO instead of attending your preferred residency or specialty, but It seems it's not as great of a risk as one might think based on my conversations with different HPSP students and physicians. FAP looks great, but I think it's just not for me.

On a second note, is anyone else getting anxious waiting for secondaries???:boom:

:soexcited:I opened my AMCAS to finish it up this afternoon and realized I needed some info. from my email. Open my email to find that I am a co-author on a paper for a project I worked on about 2.5years ago...so very super excited as I thought the paper would never be written. Submitted AACOMAS yesterday.

Is there any way to find out what the current verification time is?

:soexcited:I opened my AMCAS to finish it up this afternoon and realized I needed some info. from my email. Open my email to find that I am a co-author on a paper for a project I worked on about 2.5years ago...so very super excited as I thought the paper would never be written. Submitted AACOMAS yesterday.

Nice!!

Here is last year's verification thread for AMCAS:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=820933

And this is the beginning of this year's, also for AMCAS:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=920463

It all fluctuates yearly, but these are pretty good estimates.

Here is last year's verification thread for AMCAS:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=820933

And this is the beginning of this year's, also for AMCAS:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=920463

It all fluctuates yearly, but these are pretty good estimates.

Wow. Things were a lot faster last year, unless I'm reading it wrong. I submitted on the 4th day (6/8) and am still waiting for verification. It looks like some of the first day submitters only got verified in the last day or two. Last year, the 4th day people were verified in 3 or 4 days.

As for me:
Waiting for AMCAS verification, obviously. TMDSAS verified in May, so I have gotten notice from a couple of the schools already (just saying they have the app).
Still waiting for a couple of letters also....
I'm pretty average. Actually, I think I'm the national average of stats: 32, 3.65. :laugh: So I'm hoping schools will see something else that stands out. My strongest areas are teaching and non-clinical volunteering.
I would love TX tuition (!), but I'm also interested in being near family. I have a husband and 3 kids (with NO chance of more! :D), and we have lived 1000 miles or so from family since graduating college. It would be nice for my kids to know their relatives, but would I pay 4x tuition for that? Ignoring the question until I have options in front of me!

Best of luck to us all!

Wow. Things were a lot faster last year, unless I'm reading it wrong. I submitted on the 4th day (6/8) and am still waiting for verification. It looks like some of the first day submitters only got verified in the last day or two. Last year, the 4th day people were verified in 3 or 4 days.

Yikes, don't be scaring me! I've been putting off getting my app in until my MCAT scores came in, and still hoping that I'd still be verified by early July. At this rate, if I submit now it'll be a little later than I'd like before I get verified.

I know it'll still be early in the grand scheme of things, but I need all the help I can get to overcome the damage I did to my GPA in undergrad.

Good luck to everyone!

Yikes, don't be scaring me! I've been putting off getting my app in until my MCAT scores came in, and still hoping that I'd still be verified by early July. At this rate, if I submit now it'll be a little later than I'd like before I get verified.

I know it'll still be early in the grand scheme of things, but I need all the help I can get to overcome the damage I did to my GPA in undergrad.

Good luck to everyone!

Agreed. Anything to up the chances!

I did get verified today, 1 day less than 2 weeks.

Sadly they reassigned my ZOO (Animal Diversity Lab) class to a BCPM. It was my only C, so I was hoping they would leave it as Animal Sciences. Not worth getting back in queue for despite the BCPM boost if I argued it successfully.

Looks like everyone who had their AACOMAS already "released" to schools on the 14th suddenly had them change from released to submitted. Not sure what happened but it appears that AACOMAS has had some issues and will be working to resolve them before any apps are actually released. It sucks because a lot of schools started sending secondaries by this time last year.

Last edited:
First 2 secondaries received today. 1 from ATSU-KCOM and the other from ATSU-SOMA!

Hello Fellow Non-Trads,

I received my first secondary yesterday (ATSU) and my MCAT score. Not so happy about the MCAT and this very strange score. I was getting 11-12 BS on practice and 9-11 on PS.

13VR
10 BS
7 PS

3.98 sGPA
3.86 cGPA
3.6 gGPA (International Development- focus on Health)

I've been working for an international non-profit that does health programming in the developing world for the past four years. Lots of exposure to health clinics in undeserved areas-great stories about Africa, Southeast Asia. Plus 200+ clinical hours working as a clinical intern for an underprivileged hospital. I did public health research in grad school.

I am a CA resident, getting married in September and REALLY want to stay in CA because of my future husband's family, job, etc. AMCAS is verified and submitted to 15 schools, 4 DO. I don't know what to do about retaking the MCAT. I am signed up for July 14th but am leaning towards not retaking so that I don't have to wait for my scores.

Any thoughts? Good luck everyone!!!

Hello Fellow Non-Trads,

I received my first secondary yesterday (ATSU) and my MCAT score. Not so happy about the MCAT and this very strange score. I was getting 11-12 BS on practice and 9-11 on PS.

13VR
10 BS
7 PS

I don't know what to do about retaking the MCAT. I am signed up for July 14th but am leaning towards not retaking so that I don't have to wait for my scores.

Any thoughts? Good luck everyone!!!

I have a very similar MCAT score to you. I also strongly considered retaking it, but in reality I don't think I have the time to necessarily do much better and doing worse would be pretty detrimental. I just have to hope (and I think you can too) that the academic record and work experience will off-set the numbers. I also spoke to a former pre-med advisor who very much thought that a strong verbal was worth a lot.

Just submitted today, still waiting on 3 LORs to come in but almost there... The secondaries won't come until the verification is complete, right?

Hello fellow Non-Trads! :hello:

I'm sitting in AACOMAS purgatory waiting for secondaries. I'm 29, married, no kids. I'm a southern California native but here in Maryland now because of my husband's job relocating us to DC.
Nice to meet you all! Glad to know there are others like me. :)

Still working on my new PS. Met a friend of a friend in admissions and she said to revamp it. Otherwise, letters and the rest of my app are ready to go. Secondaries should be a quick turnaround now that my letters are banked at Interfolio.

Trying to stay positive for another round of applications, but my uGPA will always haunt me. Great gGPA, post-baccGPA, research, and ECs. MCAT 32S. Forgiving myself for those mistakes and stand up proudly for everything I've done since is a goal for this year. I'm a little tired of having 10yo grades held against me, although yes, fully aware that's how the process works.

For this round, heading back to school full-time... my full-time job graciously allowed me to go part-time/leave of absence so I can lock in some stellar post-bacc grades. I'm applying broadly for MD programs and probably one Caribbean program next year. Focusing especially at the school I was waitlisted at this year. Here we go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck! I hope that you get in to your top choice school! It looks like you have worked really hard.

Good luck! I hope that you get in to your top choice school! It looks like you have worked really hard.

Good luck to you, too, fellow Southern Californian, married, no kids! How's your hubs handling all of this? Mine is incredibly supportive, but the process has been really hard on him. If the uncertainty's hard on us, it's really hard on the family/friends who come along for the ride but have no control over the process.

If you saw my other post I was unsure about retaking the MCAT this late in the year but after speaking with my pre-med advisor I've gone ahead and signed up for August 4th. She really urged me to study for my weaknesses and retake. I scored a 13 VS, 10 BS, 7PS. The 7 would haunt my application. She wasn't kidding either. I called around to a few schools in Southern California and was told the same. They said they'd rather see a new MCAT score than have my application early in the game.

Back to the drawing board...it really sucks having to take out all my study materials again! Luckily, a 7 is pretty easy to improve upon!! I am feeling hopeful that the next one will go much better. Since the goal is 100% to stay in California I need to do everything I can to get into a school near the LA area.

If you saw my other post I was unsure about retaking the MCAT this late in the year but after speaking with my pre-med advisor I've gone ahead and signed up for August 4th. She really urged me to study for my weaknesses and retake. I scored a 13 VS, 10 BS, 7PS. The 7 would haunt my application. She wasn't kidding either. I called around to a few schools in Southern California and was told the same. They said they'd rather see a new MCAT score than have my application early in the game.

Back to the drawing board...it really sucks having to take out all my study materials again! Luckily, a 7 is pretty easy to improve upon!! I am feeling hopeful that the next one will go much better. Since the goal is 100% to stay in California I need to do everything I can to get into a school near the LA area.

A 13 in verbal is amazing! Good luck to you!

41year old from Oregon.

18 years as a high school science teacher. Burned out and looking for the next chapter in life.

uGPA 3.5
sGPA 3.6
gGPA (Masters in education) 3.97

MCAT 31R

AACOMAS submitted 6/14 last transcripts 6/27 verified -/-
AMCAS submitted 6/27 last transcipts 6/26 verified -/-

Both my children will be in college starting in 2013, and hopefully I will be in med-school.

Applied to 12 DO and 8 MD programs.

dsoz

Just realized that I have to have my school send a letter separate from my transcript saying what my highschool IB classes were because I only have 2 English Semester Credits listed on my transcript. Apparently my school doesn't list out the transfer credits and AACOMAS will just turn them into "Non-science" classes. And to think, so close to being verified....

Good luck to you, too, fellow Southern Californian, married, no kids! How's your hubs handling all of this? Mine is incredibly supportive, but the process has been really hard on him. If the uncertainty's hard on us, it's really hard on the family/friends who come along for the ride but have no control over the process.
My husband has been really supportive too. Being in school taking all these hard classes kind of takes its toll out on us though. I rarely have time for anything fun. We are going to enjoy this year off and hopefully get out and be a couple for a while.
My family has taken it really hard though. I am the only one to leave southern California and being far away from them has been really tough. My parents are getting older and I feel like I'm missing out on a lot. I would really love to get back home but as you all know, getting into a California school is really tough.

Just realized that I have to have my school send a letter separate from my transcript saying what my highschool IB classes were because I only have 2 English Semester Credits listed on my transcript. Apparently my school doesn't list out the transfer credits and AACOMAS will just turn them into "Non-science" classes. And to think, so close to being verified....
:( this process is so exhausting. I hope it works out for you.

Submitted 6/20, looks like maybe I'll be verified sometime late next week, though with the holiday it might take til the week after. sigh. Also, I keep receiving Osteo recruitment emails- maybe the universe is trying to tell me something?

Got my first secondary!

AMCAS submitted 6/12; completed 6/28
AACOMAS submitted 6/12; still processing.

Who did you get a secondary from? I've only received one from AT Still in AZ. Good luck!

Fellow non-traditional here. cgpa 3.2, sgpa 3.6. 31Q MCAT. first time applying. mid thirties, kids. applied to 34 MD schools and 17 DO.

So worried about the cgpa holding me back!

AACOMAS was sent out 6/24. So far have gotten a secondary to AT Still SOMA and CCOM. AMCAS was submitted mid june and still not verified, but I just got the secondary to LSU New Orleans yesterday. I'm OOS. Is that strange? Why would they send the secondary without verfied AMCAS?

3rd secondary received, this one to AZCOM. Got to love writing out all this.... stuff.