"2014-2015 Application Cycle?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm.D - Badger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So today, I took my first Pearson Practice Test. I'm a bit upset with my overall scores so here they are:
Writing: 4
Verbal: 48% --> 19/40
Biology: 75% --> 36/48
Chemistry: 83% --> 40/48
Reading: 60% --> 26/48
Quant: 45% --> 22/48
Composite: 40-60%

I have been studying from a Kaplan PCAT prep class that I won for "FREE" (Stopped going after half way through it because how bad that class was, if I had to pay for that I would be upset), Dr. Collins, I bought everything from Pearson, MCAT in the box flashcards, Princeton Review PCAT book. I have been timing myself on the Dr. Collins practice tests. I always mess up on little things that's so upsetting. I feel like the Verbal is a lost cause, Quant is so difficult with the timing. What should I work on for the rest of my time prior to the PCAT on Friday, July 18th, 2014? Should I continually review all the material to stay fresh or just focus on Quant, Verbal, and Reading? Also, I practiced taking the Pearson practice test in the altered ideal conditions, in the noisy lobby of my school's library. I have been studying for this test every single day for about 8-10 hours since the spring semester ended until now.

My overall application:
cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.89
-Associates Degree in Chemistry
-BS/ Candidate in Biochemistry
-Drastic upward grade trend.
-A's all in pre-reqs except Calc.--> B
-Was Student Government Treasurer: 1 year and 1/2
-Was Volunteer Coordinator for Pre-Pharm Org
-Now President of a Pre-Pharm Org
-730+ hours of volunteer in an Emergency Room at a huge Trauma Hospital and Free Medical Health Clinic.
-Aced Orgo whom Professor is writing me a LOR, Pharmacy Manager LOR, Clinic Director RN LOR
-3+ years as a Certified Pharmacy Tech.
-Shadowed 11 specialties from MD's
-Shadowed 2 Podiatrists
-Shadowed 5 Pharmacy Hospital Specialties
-Medical Mission work in Africa with the College of Nursing from the University I attend.
-Seriously when I say this, excellent Personal Statement (I was a foster child taking away from my parents).

I only tell you this because I want to shoot for a 70+ on the PCAT. I seriously hate standardized exams. What potentially could I get for a low score and still have a great chance for a good Pharmacy School? I know that some schools don't have minimum scores, they look at an applicant holistically and I don't want to apply to California. I've seen statistics from schools with ranges from 22-99%.

What should I focus on now until the 18th to raise my score to 70+%. How should I study for Quant, Reading, lol maybe verbal? What score would you not retake with my application? I want to apply a week after my test!

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like you are in good shape plus you have other positive factors to balance you application out even if you have a mediocre PCAT score. And imo quantative and verbal should be relatively easy to raise. For verbal I just made flash cards from the top 200 GRE words and study off of that plus regular reading of literature tends to elevate verbal scores due to exposure to variable vocabulary. Math is basically understanding concepts and then doing practice problems and that is pretty much all you can do really.

Awesome, thanks for the advice! Should I just focus what I am weak in or continually review everything or just do Dr. Collins timed tests non-stop?

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably focus more on your weak points since that has the potential to drastically raise up your scores while areas you are comfortable with would probably yield smaller returns.

Kaplan sucks. Stick to Collins

Reactions: 1 user
Believe in yourself and relax. You got this you have done great look at that resume!! Stress on your mind is the worse thing doesn't matter how.much you study you will not do as well if you went in relaxed and confident. no stress!! I think you're doing everything right. Collins works better do that instead. Take practice pcat tests and see how well you do. That will Give you an idea of what subject to work more on. I think you're going to do way beyond 70%. Not much time left so I say just brush up...inhale and exhale.

Thank you so much for that! That was amazing! Thanks for the encouragement!! I hope the best for you if your taking the PCAT next week! If you have already taken it, lucky!

Last edited:
Just took the second pearson practice test. I'm really pleased with my improvement.

Writing: 4
Verbal: 63% --> 25/40
Biology: 85% --> 36/48
Chemistry: 78% --> 35/48
Reading: 63% --> 28/48
Quantitative: 58% --> 25/48
Composite: 62-82%

I feel so much better about this now! I'm just going to keep focusing on what I did to improve. I hate that they give you a range your theoretically in! How do you know if your on the low or high end or in the middle?

Just took the second pearson practice test. I'm really pleased with my improvement.

Writing:
Verbal: 63% --> 25/40
Biology: 85% --> 36/48
Chemistry: 78% --> 35/48
Reading: 63% --> 28/48
Quantitative: 58% --> 25/48
Composite: 62-82%

I feel so much better about this now! I'm just going to keep focusing on what I did to improve. I hate that they give you a range your theoretically in! How do you know if your on the low or high end or in the middle?

where do you take the pearson practice test at? is it free of do you have to pay?