2014-2015 Columbia University College of P&S Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please someone answer quickly:

"If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so. 250 words."

Does that refer to summers you used to do an internship?
If you did an internship during the summer (and consequently did not take classes during that summer), are you supposed to include that in your answer to that question?

Members don't see this ad :)

"If you took time off from your undergraduate studies, please briefly summarize your reasons for doing so. 250 words."

If you did an internship during the summer (and consequently did not take classes during that summer), are you supposed to include that in your answer to that question?
I doubt it.

No I'm quite sure that only means if you took a semester or more off during undergrad aka took more than 4 years to finish.

No. Doing something else with your summer is perfectly normal. They mean did you take a semester (Fall or Spring) or more off to do something non-academic.

For the Bassett program. Can you get into both programs or does getting into the Bassett program mean that you won't be considered for the MD program. That is if you apply to both, does it mean that you will only be considered for the MD program if you dont get into Bassett

I'm 100% going to be doing research in a professor's lab this semester for 12-15 hours/week. The semester doesn't start until the first week of September though. Is this something I should save for an update letter, or should I include it in the "anything else" section? I'm worried about waiting to let them know....

I'm 100% going to be doing research in a professor's lab this semester for 12-15 hours/week. The semester doesn't start until the first week of September though. Is this something I should save for an update letter, or should I include it in the "anything else" section? I'm worried about waiting to let them know....
Use it as LOI after you garnished an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
I was hoping to use it to increase my chances of actually getting an interview

I was hoping to use it to increase my chances of actually getting an interview
I am no adcom, but in my opinion a research position that hasn't yet happen won't help you land an interview, because that's more of a hard data review. You can probably ask hushcom just to verify.

11. Is there anything else you would like us to know?
Does this need to be answered==Given the C.V. and the urban challenges (& why you like Columbia) question?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this need to be answered==Given the C.V. and the urban challenges (& why you like Columbia) question?

I politely asked if they could put me in touch with some people/faculty for a particular group I was interested in on the day of our interview, should I receive one. Some schools like NYU, Northwestern, and Michigan State offered that to their students and said you could just inquire about it for other institutions.

One of the schools I am interviewing with put me in touch with some folks over email (after the invite) so we could meet up during interview day on some down time!

Anybody else got an email that makes your heart fluffed for about 3 seconds and then your eyebrow twisted for another 3 and then your mouth uncontrollably let out a big long "wuuuuuuut???!!!!"

--got recruitment email after apps have been completed for quite a while.

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody else got an email that makes your heart fluffed for about 3 seconds and then your eyebrow twisted for another 3 and then your mouth uncontrollably let out a big long "wuuuuuuut???!!!!"

--got recruitment email after apps have been completed for quite a while.
The same thing just happened to me. That seriously had my heart racing...haha

And the email starts with Congratulations. :nono:

Should I apply if I got one of the recruitment emails even though my mcat is below their 10th percentile?

Should I apply if I got one of the recruitment emails even though my mcat is below their 10th percentile?
Edit:never mind my comment, i guessed wrong.

Last edited:
Just panicked that I accidentally checked URM on my AMCAS cuz I'm not and got this email. Didn't apply here

Congratulations!!

Thank you! I must admit I am a bit shocked. Haven't gotten much love from other schools, but perhaps it is coming? Also, I used a bit of humor in answering the 'complex urban environment' prompt as I had lived in NYC for five years, so I'm glad they appreciated it!

Thank you! I must admit I am a bit shocked. Haven't gotten much love from other schools, but perhaps it is coming? Also, I used a bit of humor in answering the 'complex urban environment' prompt as I had lived in NYC for five years, so I'm glad they appreciated it!
I stalked your MDapps and I am sure you will be getting quite a bit of love this year. :) Did you apply to Bassett? I would love a chance to interview at Columbia and especially for the Bassett program.

Thank you guys! The only available dates seem to be mid-September at the moment. Nothing on the student hosting page.

I applied to the regular MD program.

Congrats Tess! I know you're going to have an extremely successful and prolific cycle :D

II! Woo! Does anyone know whether if I just wait, later dates will open up eventually? Or are these the only options I'll see? Would hate to miss out, Columbia is an amazing school.

II! Woo! Does anyone know whether if I just wait, later dates will open up eventually? Or are these the only options I'll see? Would hate to miss out, Columbia is an amazing school.
Wow BU and Columbia on the same day!

Just panicked that I accidentally checked URM on my AMCAS cuz I'm not and got this email. Didn't apply here

I have the same thing, does anyone know if this will be a problem for the application cycle? My primary clearly states I am not disadvantaged financially or URM but I am somehow on the MED-MAR registry. Already called AMCAS and they can't remove it because the data goes out with MCAT score (which I got a 38 on). I had to reschedule the MCAT and must have accidentally checked a box on URM thinking it was just sharing my score with schools but I really don't remember. Any advice or similar situations?

II as well!! Has anyone been able to see anything with the student hosting tab?

For the Bassett program. Can you get into both programs or does getting into the Bassett program mean that you won't be considered for the MD program. That is if you apply to both, does it mean that you will only be considered for the MD program if you dont get into Bassett
You get considered for both
Nope
The same thing just happened to me. That seriously had my heart racing...haha

And the email starts with Congratulations. :nono:
That's super lame. Please PM me this email?
II as well!! Has anyone been able to see anything with the student hosting tab?
The second years are only back next week I think so it's going to take a little while for that stuff to get sorted out and populated

II just now!!! :) complete 7/21. 3.93/40

Reactions: 8 users
Could anyone comment on what days of the week Columbia conducts interviews?

any IIs from the md phd program at all? last year it seems like both the md only and md phd first IIs came out on the same date, so just checking in :)

II this morning! my first one! :banana:

Reactions: 3 users
II this morning! First post on SDN...can't think of a better school to use it on :)

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone gotten their student hosting screen to work? It keeps going blank on me.