2014 ACC/AHA Noncardiac surgery guideline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turnupthevapor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question: As far as the guideline goes, does a low risk surgery i.e. cataracts, automatically make you have a low risk of MACE (even if your RCRI score >2) thank you!!!!

"The lowest-risk operations are generally those without significant fluid shifts and stress. Plastic sur- gery and cataract surgery are associated with a very low risk of MACE (34) "

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
the nature of the surgery is part of rcri. cataract isn't high risk so it adds zero, but 2+ rcri would still confer higher risk of mace regardless what criteria contribute to that score or what specific surgery one is having.

Reactions: 1 user
the nature of the surgery is part of rcri. cataract isn't high risk so it adds zero, but 2+ rcri would still confer higher risk of mace regardless what criteria contribute to that score or what specific surgery one is having.

Yes, with new guidelines cardiac eval is recommended even in very low risk surgery such as cataract IF the patient cannot achieve 4 Mets and they have 2+ points on the RCRI. Personally I would not cancel a cataract for almost any reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IM so sick of these guidelines...

Judgement folks!!

Delay or cancel the case only if you are sending the patient to the ER because of the patient;s condition otherwise it is a GO!

DOne...

sent from
presidential%20hotline.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Judgement folks!!

Delay or cancel the case only if you are sending the patient to the ER because of the patient;s condition otherwise it is a GO!

DOne...

sent from
presidential%20hotline.jpg
Seriously?

Judgement folks!!

DOne...

wow, your surgeons must love you. i'm pretty easy going with the guidelines, but even that policy is too lax for me. everyone in your group is on board with that?