2014-ers!! Lets get this party started!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GellaBella

Penn Vet V'14
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a little early, but since the VMCAS opens officially tomorrow I just wanted to say to everyone applying (myself included) good luck! and let's kick some VMCAS butt!

YAY class of 2014!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Whoo! I'm way ahead of schedule this year. I already have the TMDSAS application (for A&M) done except for stuff I'm going to do this summer!

Wish I could say the same about supplementals lol.

Gonna kick some VMCAS arse tomorrow too, then trudge onto supplementals (and fees....).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a reminder to everyone. I've offered to send an application booklet out to anyone who was interested in getting one. Its a basic start to finish of going through the process that I put together for a presentation. It includes personal statements, an example of a LOR (so when your references want to know whats involved you know cause I didn't). The people I've talked to seemed to think it was very useful.

If you already emailed me asking for one and haven't received it please email me again, I tried to make sure everyone got one who asked but my spam filter might have shuffled the email around. You can either PM me with your email address or email me directly at [email protected]

Good luck to everyone! Start early and enjoy the funness of writting supplemental essays out your ears.

Woo Hoo!!! On to round 3!!!!!!!!!!!

I am NOT looking forward to entering in allllllll of the classes ive taken at all 3 universities I've been to! Eeekk! :bang:

haha it seems like there are mixed emotions out there! I admit, I'm both really excited to have the application open so I can get this thing started, and absolutely terrified about the whole process. I can't believe I'm actually going for this (non-traditional student here) and that this is it!

Good luck to all you 2014ers!!! you're way ahead of schedule than i was, so congrats on that!!! don't forget the schools that don't take VMCAS!!! like A&M and Tufts (i know there are others but these are the only two i can think of at this moment)

I can't believe I'm actually going for this (non-traditional student here) and that this is it!

Neither can I--and I start classes this August! :eek:

Best of luck to you & to other potential Class of '14-ers!!!!

I am NOT looking forward to entering in allllllll of the classes ive taken at all 3 universities I've been to! Eeekk! :bang:
Ungh, don't remind me. I'm glad I have dual monitors so I can put a movie on one while working on the other. Turns a terrible experience into a bad one lol.

Nice user title btw :D Hopefully we'll both be equally charmed.

I'm horrified. I don't have a shot in hell the first go round; it still makes me so nervous. :scared:

I work at one of the vet schools full time as a technician and will be applying here, and to a few others. Still have to get physics out of the way. And the GRE.

I'm a longtime lurker here and glad to be in company with those like myself.

Good luck to all of you out there!! Here is a word of encouragement for all of you out there. I could not even break a 1000 on the GRE and I still managed to get into Mizzou Vet School Class of '13 (they must have saw something really special in me to look past my GRE score or really don't care about the GRE). There are plenty of people on this forum who got into vet school with low GPA records and managed to get into vet school. Just fill out your VMCAS applications, have a nice, honest, and motivating personal statement, and hope all works out. If it doesn't there is always next year, which plenty of pre-vets usually end up attempting to get in two or three years to get in. Just stay optimistic!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Round 2 for me...I really hope I never have to say third time's a charm.

Third time I have to re-enter the same information :scared: At least I have several improvements to list? :thumbup:

I'm still just in complete and utter denial that there is no way to transfer info from last year's application to this year's. By the time I am submitting this year's application, I will have taken classes at 8 different colleges are universities. I have something on the order of 250 units... makes me feel ill to think about entering all that AGAIN! I think the supplemental application will transfer info at least.

Incidentally, does anyone know if schools keep transcripts and test scores from year to year? I am only applying to one school again, the same one I applied to last year. I am not retaking the GRE and many of my transcripts are unchanged from last year. I will contact them directly, but I was just curious if anyone knew...

And finally, I just tried to log in to VMCAS and it doesn't recognize my username and password from last year... do I need to start a new account?

woooh! I filled out the ADDRESS SECTION!!!

This is going to be fun...good luck everyone!

*Trades goodlucks with everyone* I'm really glad to know that it's really not wierd to be a third timer. Hopefully I don't have to be a failure again!

I just logged on and started my application. Eakkkk! :eek:
Anyways, I was just wondering -- I took two AP tests in high school. I don't need them for pre-reqs or for my degree, and I really don't want to go to the trouble to get official scores sent in. Has anyone else had experience/ talked with the VMCAS people about this?

I have never felt such a strong and bizarre mix of hope and hopelessness in my life... But it's such a thrill to actually be doing this, it has the adrenaline-feel of climbing up a high cliff. Best of luck to all! It's nice to hear from people are nervous as I am :).

I just logged on and started my application. Eakkkk! :eek:
Anyways, I was just wondering -- I took two AP tests in high school. I don't need them for pre-reqs or for my degree, and I really don't want to go to the trouble to get official scores sent in. Has anyone else had experience/ talked with the VMCAS people about this?

VMCAS doesn't need official scores and, if any of the schools you apply to want an official report, they'll have it listed somewhere or otherwise let you know. Most schools don't require them, though.

Good luck, everybody! :luck:

Woooah! Took 2 HOURS to enter coursework history!!! :eek:

I just finished entering my coursework and experiences. Now all I have to do is finish editing my personal statement, enter my evaluators, and wait for my summer grades to come in. I don't know why I had to enter everything I could, seeing as how I won't be submitting until August, but oh, well.

haha yeah I know, I sat on the couch last night trying to enter as much as I could off the top of my head (addresses, community service etc). Finally I had to just stop and put it away just because I was like .. ok I have all summer to do this.

Everyone says how horrible the application process is though I just feel like I want to get as much of it done as possible and save myself the headaches later!

Hey multiple application rounders like me,
Do you use the same evaluators every time? I'd like to, but I don't know what's normal. Thanks!

Well, it depends on what you've been doing since the last application. Personally, I will only have one recommender in common most likely with my previous application.

Well, I've been working at a small animal clinic since i last applied, and taking online classes to finish my prereqs. Since I couldnt have much of a relationship with my online teachers, I'm not sure if they'd good to ask for letters. Besides, the classes were genetics, micro, stats, and communications, so I'm not sure if teachers for those classes are the best for letters anyway.
As for the doctor i've been working for, it is a bit of a wierd situation. He is very, very negative, and at times downright mean. He knows how enthusiastic I am about veterinary medicine, and I know he would be happy to write me a letter, but he is such a negative person that I'm pretty confident he would put something negative in the letter. Even if it was something tiny, like "with proper motivation, Tine can be a good leader". I think it's too risky to ask him. What do you guys think? If i dont ask him, i'm pretty much stuck using the same exact letters as last time. Although, i suppose it's not too late to do some serious volunteering somewhere and get a different letter that way. thoughts?

I have a question, on the instructions page of the coursework it says enter all coursework up till fall 2009, so fall 2009 will be Planned/In Progress... Do we need to enter planned courses for Spring 2010? I will be finishing my second semester of BioChem and Microbiology so I would think its important to show the schools that I am intending to take these courses. K-State on their supplemental has a section to fill out courses that you plan to take but I don't know about the other schools....

Hey multiple application rounders like me,
Do you use the same evaluators every time? I'd like to, but I don't know what's normal. Thanks!

I'm reusing two of my evaluators from last year and the time before that. I've switched which veterinarians I've worked for almost every year to get a really good look at different specialties and ways of doing things but these two are the only one's I worked for for longer than the one year mark. And one of them is a very close mentor who basically lit the fire back under my butt when I gave up after the first rejection. My only advice is that if you're going to reuse evaluators make sure it's someone you still keep in contact with so they don't have to dreg up memories of you and possibly mis-remember something or not have anything specific to say about you.

I have a question, on the instructions page of the coursework it says enter all coursework up till fall 2009, so fall 2009 will be Planned/In Progress... Do we need to enter planned courses for Spring 2010? I will be finishing my second semester of BioChem and Microbiology so I would think its important to show the schools that I am intending to take these courses. K-State on their supplemental has a section to fill out courses that you plan to take but I don't know about the other schools....

Yes, list all the courses you plan on taking this fall, spring, and next summer, at least as far as you know. If it changes (in a way that affects vet school) then you can contact the schools and let them know later.

So about supplementals..are they generally available now or do they become available later in the summer?? Do we just have to keep checking the schools websites to find them or is there some sort of an announcement?? I'm a bit confused.

Most schools should be available now, I think colorado opened a little bit later.

Hey, in the VMCAS where would I put that I have a License as a Veterinary Technician, in the awards and honors?

If you took classes for it, enter it under coursework, and maybe enter the results of the licensing test under the tests section? Maybe in the explanation statement, if you feel the need to give details of it?