2014 Grad Intern Offers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharm21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if 2014 grads received grad intern offers already...please fill out the information below. Oh, and congratulations!

Company:
Part Time or Full Time:
Hourly or Yearly Pay Rate:

Members don't see this ad.

One of the big retail places
Western US
Staff
Fulltime
$60's per hour

Reactions: 1 user
Big retail
South Fl
Float
32hr/week guaranteed
$54.75/hr

Members don't see this ad :)
nice to read this...we need to read more...please post up

Hired grad intern at 5% less than full salary. Will give 1 year for licensure.

Wait, what about all the "new grads are taking your jobs for 30% less" talk. Or is that for next years graduating class.

Wait, what about all the "new grads are taking your jobs for 30% less" talk. Or is that for next years graduating class.

I haven't heard of that. I guess it depends on the location. I am leaning towards next years graduating class haha.

Class of 2014-Any updates on receiving any offers? Please post here. Thank you!

Hired grad intern at 5% less than full salary. Will give 1 year for licensure.

Wat? 1 year for licensure? What happens if they don't pass? They get 95% pharmacist salary for 1 year and you just wasted all that money. Isn't it better for you to hire 2-3 P2-P4 and pay them in the $20-30/hr range?

Wat? 1 year for licensure? What happens if they don't pass? They get 95% pharmacist salary for 1 year and you just wasted all that money. Isn't it better for you to hire 2-3 P2-P4 and pay them in the $20-30/hr range?

I'm pretty sure he is being sarcastic or joking. His comment seems very unrealistic.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've already invested in hiring and training. It's my pharmacist to take care of. Students can't work the schedule.

Western US
Grocery store chain
FT float (40hr)
~low $60s/hr

Grad intern rate is lower than I expected but anything beats working for free!

Last edited:
Any recent grad intern offers for the Class of 2014? Feel free to post here!

the person making $54/hr must be working for CVS. lowest pay, yet most profitable chain. i heard they don't give bonus anymore. : )

the person making $54/hr must be working for CVS. lowest pay, yet most profitable chain. i heard they don't give bonus anymore. : )

Nope, but CVS does pay slightly less an hour here in South Florida market. Issue is, the market is heavily saturated down here, way too many schools and grads. Some retailers put hiring freezes in certain districts and others are only hiring a handful of interns at best from the 2014 graduating classes. If I were in Orlando or less saturated markets in Florida, I'd be making $57+/hr. But, Florida doesn't have a state tax and COL is average or so, it tends to work itself out somewhat.

information update. post retracted.

Last edited:
Two other continuation letters with offers "pending". Again, large retail, western US. Not SFO or Seattle, but not the boonies either.

Last edited:
"Case in point is the mentioned rate in the $60s as if $61.52 were no different than $68.75."
Low to Mid 60's if not the night shift, high 60's if it is, ie not always so clear cut.
Two other continuation letters with offers "pending". Again, large retail, western US. Not SFO or Seattle, but not the boonies either.
Also, watch who you are calling "kids" ;-).

Excellent! I retract my case in point although my purpose was still served.

At seven years out I was still a kid. Sometimes the English language is lacking.
Correction:
kid sub new grad.:happy:

crickets%2Bchirping.gif

I appreciate the spirit of the post. A good amount are likely busy loving and hating the reality of pharmacy just as my friends and I did as kids. :oops:

It is, however, unfortunate that kids who are struggling and not finding work are more likely to be ridiculed than assisted here. Case in point is the mentioned rate in the $60s as if $61.52 were no different than $68.75. What is the use in that? (rhetorical) :rolleyes:

Some hiring folks obviously read this. Posting exact salaries would be a quick way to an ID and some of us would rather remain anonymous for now at least

from my classmates and friends
1, CVS offer, Nor CA, metro area, no retail experience, only did IPPE in CVS for 5 days, from out of state school
2, CVS offer, Nor CA, bay area, no retail experience, never did IPPE or intern in CVS, got job offer in school career fair
3, CVS offer, same above
4, Walgreens offer, Nor CA, no retail experience, but has 5 years other pharmacy experience
5, Target offer, no retail experience, did IPPE in Target
6, Rite aid, Nor CA, interned for rite aid for 3 years
7, ok, myself, still no offer

from what I know, the salaries are at above $60/hr.
Overall, I think the market is better than I thought. I always see indeed.com posts lots of pharmacist jobs in CA. Is it real or just for fun? Since I have interviewed with big three and no offer yet, should I just take it easy or be in panic now? Should I just wait to look for jobs until I get the license?

Last edited:
from what I know, the salaries are at above $60/hr.
Overall, I think the market is better than I thought. I always see indeed.com posts lots of pharmacist jobs in CA. Is it real or just for fun? Since I have interviewed with big three and no offer yet, should I just take it easy or be in panic now? Should I just wait to look for jobs until I get the license?

Not a bad rate in the West Coast. It seems the rate is a little bit higher in the West Coast compared to the Midwest/East Coast, which makes sense. I wouldn't panic by any means. I know a lot of my classmates who don't have offers yet. I will still keep looking since you never know if a DM or recruiter happens to email you at any moment about an opening. Good luck.

Any new offers from any grads in 2014 recently? Don't forget to post here. Thanks!

It's a new year and possibly new offers. Post here if you received an offer!

Why does a medical student care so much about what pharmacists are paid.

Reactions: 1 users
Large Chain
Midwest
FT Floater
$57.50/hr

What part of FLORIDA have good job opportunities if there is any?? specially with WALGREENS??

What part of FLORIDA have good job opportunities if there is any?? specially with WALGREENS??

Seriously? There are tons of pharmacist jobs here in Florida, we're even getting sign on bonuses of 8k. Dude it's poppin!

Big Chain
Washington DC/NorthernVA
FT Floater
Salaried at 120k

Big Chain
Nor CA
FT Floater
Low 60's/hr

Seriously? There are tons of pharmacist jobs here in Florida, we're even getting sign on bonuses of 8k. Dude it's poppin!
Oh wow!!! What company and which part of FL? Genuinely asking, because I really want to know.....You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.

I got an offer from a large chain in mideast for around 100k/yr. They told me it would be higher in the interview. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Hey Guys,

Any recent news for Grad Intern positions for Walmart in FL?
They have many Grad Intern positions posted on their site, but one of those positions are in FL!!

Also, this is a good thread.....Just trying to bump it.

Western US
Grocery store chain
FT float (40hr)
~low $60s/hr

Grad intern rate is lower than I expected but anything beats working for free!

Western US
Walgreens
Ft float (30+ hrs)
$60-65/hr

Western US
Indie retail
Per diem (<10/wk)
$50/hr (cash)

Last edited:
Does Anyone know the difference between "Grad Intern (hrly)" and "Grad Intern (exempt)"

Also, one more question.,,My letter of intent which I signed, only mentions the grad intern salary which is $30/hr.
It does not mention the salary when I become licensed (within 90 days). So, I am just curious how do you guys know ur exact figures. Am I missing a part of the process somewhere?

Also, one more question.,,My letter of intent which I signed, only mentions the grad intern salary which is $30/hr.
It does not mention the salary when I become licensed (within 90 days). So, I am just curious how do you guys know ur exact figures. Am I missing a part of the process somewhere?

Have to ask the recruiter sometimes. Its not a weird question, they probably have a chart or formula to tell you your rate.

Does Anyone know the difference between "Grad Intern (hrly)" and "Grad Intern (exempt)"

Exempt means either salaried or some peculiarity in payment that makes you exempt from hourly labor rules.

Hourly is probably exactly what it sounds like.

Honestly an exempt grad intern seems slightly weird but I wouldnt be surprised if thats how they do it if that company treats its pharmacists as exempt too.

Only other consideration is, the offer may mean either you will pick up hours, or you may have a defined, say, 80-160 hours of training that may be paid out regardless of what or where you worked.

Back when I rotated with wags, they basically guaranteed 80 hours of grad intern "training" which was in effect salaried, because they paid you as long as you got the training done and did some shifts. But im pretty sure it was technically not exempt . Most grad internships will have a mix of random shifts, structured supervised shifts, and structured training.

"Exempt" just means that you will be exempt from hourly labor laws, like overtime pay (1.5x or 2x base). For Wags here in Florida, being salaried exempt means no OT pay, but we get "B-rate" for any hours over 80 in a 2 week pay period. That being, an extra flat $10/hr on top of our standard hourly rate. Not so bad, but used to be much much better few years ago.

Are the offers that have been posted actually hourly rates or were you offered a salaried position and the posted rate is the translation?
I have had two offers both salaried FT staff positions at retail chains. One in the southwest ($59) and mt west ($54). I am still trying to decide which direction to go.

Are the offers that have been posted actually hourly rates or were you offered a salaried position and the posted rate is the translation?
I have had two offers both salaried FT staff positions at retail chains. One in the southwest ($59) and mt west ($54). I am still trying to decide which direction to go.

All my offers have been hourly w exception being managed care. Id look into the meaning of salaried at this chain, specifically ask staff if they get nice lunch breaks or are they expected to work 50 hour weeks routinely without overtime. Those dollar values look good for *cities* in this region .. southwest is paying more.. 59 for phoenix is competitive .. I have heard that 55ish is the going rate for denver metro.

With two nearly identical offers like that I would start thinking about the economic future of the area (admittedly probably more important for rural). Rocky mtn front range is growing economically .. some parts of southwest are too but there are also some problems in some areas. If youre looking at rural.. I would re evaluate those #s unless it is a vacation town.