2014 Pedo Residency Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kidzteeth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Just thought we'd start our own official PEDO thread for this year. This forum will be used for PEDO only questions, comments etc...

Once interview offers start coming in we can post them in here as well with the same format as last year :)

For those of you, like me, who did not match last year...I feel it this is our year!!! And for those of you in your first time applying - good luck...and don't get discouraged! Last year was crazy competitive - keep your focus!

YEAH PEDO!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am an international dentist, graduated from non-ADA accredited school. I did some search from AAPD, PASS and some direct communication to obtain a list of the schools that I am eligible to apply to. I came with the following list of schools:

University of Alabama at Birmingham AL

Loma Linda University CA

University of California, San Francisco CA

USC Ostrow School of Dentistry CA

Children's Hospital Colorado CO

Connecticut Children's Med Ctr & University of Connecticut Health Ctr CT

Howard University DC

University of Florida, Gainesville FL

University of Florida, Naples FL

Louisiana State University School of Dentistry LA

Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine MA

Children's Hospital, Boston MA

Tufts University MA

University of Maryland MD

University of Michigan MI

University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill NC

UMDNJ/Dental School, Newark NJ

Case Western Reserve University OH

MetroHealth Medical Center OH

St. Christopher's Hospital for Children PA

University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio TX

University of Texas School of Dentistry at Houston TX

University of Washington, Seattle WA

Please suggest any school that is not mentioned or correct me if I listed a school that does not accept international dentists.

Thank you,
Abdullah

Just FYI for everyone...Figured this could be helpful so we know how each program confirms applications and what else they may require

Confirmations:

*UF- Gainesville - emailed confirmation - required NBDE scores sent to them; 2x2 emailed
*UF - Naples - emailed confirmation - required NBDE scores sent to them; 2x2 emailed
*Ann & Robert Lurie - Chicago, IL - emailed confirmation - needed application fee sent to them and emailed 2x2 and CV

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI for everyone...Figured this could be helpful so we know how each program confirms applications and what else they may require

Confirmations:

*UF- Gainesville - emailed confirmation - required NBDE scores sent to them; 2x2 emailed
*UF - Naples - emailed confirmation - required NBDE scores sent to them; 2x2 emailed
*Ann & Robert Lurie - Chicago, IL - emailed confirmation - needed application fee sent to them and emailed 2x2 and CV
I don't see a separate address for Naples and Gainesville stuff to be sent to. Did you send the scores once to that address?

Do you wait for their confirmation before sending the 2x2, CV, NBDE, etc?

Do you wait for their confirmation before sending the 2x2, CV, NBDE, etc?

I waited to send it until I got confirmation - that way you know exactly what they need for supplemental materials. The only down side is that board scores take 3-4 weeks at minimum so watch out for deadlines

I am waiting for letters of recc...can I start sending supplemental documents to the programs prior to submitting my application on pass?

I am waiting for letters of recc...can I start sending supplemental documents to the programs prior to submitting my application on pass?

From what I gathered it is not advised to send any supplemental information prior to your PASS application....

Anyone else have thoughts?

From what I gathered it is not advised to send any supplemental information prior to your PASS application....

Anyone else have thoughts?

Really depends on what materials you're intending to send I think. Things like NBDE, transcripts etc. which takes time to reach the programs may be requested before pass, but CV, 2x2 and any supplemental application will need to wait until after submitting PASS.

The tricky part is guessing when the documents will reach the programs, especially for NBDE. I've heard it could take up to 6 weeks but recently I've heard from a friend that he got his scores sent to him within a week.

As for sending transcripts, do you have to send both your dental school and undergrad directly? I know that your dental school transcript is sent to PASS. The $ all adds up..:(

As for sending transcripts, do you have to send both your dental school and undergrad directly? I know that your dental school transcript is sent to PASS. The $ all adds up..:(

Only if the program asks you to.

There are not too many schools that want undergrad transcripts. Applying to residency is expensive - the sooner your come to grips with it the better

Some programs have extra fees too aside from PASS ranging from $25-75

Interviews with travel, hotels etc seemed to run $500 - $1000 each interview depending on where you had to travel etc...

Members don't see this ad :)

Confirmations:

*University of Alabama - emailed confirmation - required supplemental information and fee
*Miami Children's Hospital - emailed confirmation - required supplemental application and fee

*University of Alabama - emailed confirmation - required supplemental information and fee
*Miami Children's Hospital - emailed confirmation - required supplemental application and fee

*USC - emailed confirmation - required supplemental information and fee
*Boston University - emailed confirmation - required supplemental information and fee

*Boston University - emailed confirmation - required supplemental information and fee

Indiana University - emailed confirmation - required to fill some form, official nbde, and CV
University of Michigan - emailed confirmation - application complete (they only need PASS)

Confirmations so far: (tried to put it in a one list) - from now on just add to this list and BOLD what you added

*University of Alabama - emailed confirmation - required 2x2, undergraduate transcripts and fee
*Miami Children's Hospital - emailed confirmation - required supplemental application, 2x2 (2 of them), CV, match number and fee (must be money order)
*Indiana University - emailed confirmation - required to fill some form, official nbde, and CV
*University of Michigan - emailed confirmation - application complete (they only need PASS)

*University of Alabama - emailed confirmation - required 2x2, undergraduate transcripts and fee
*Miami Children's Hospital - emailed confirmation - required supplemental application, 2x2 (2 of them), CV, match number and fee (must be money order)
*Indiana University - emailed confirmation - required to fill some form, official nbde, and CV
*University of Michigan - emailed confirmation - application complete (they only need PASS)
*MUSC - emailed confirmation - required CV and 2x2 mailed

*Yale- emailed confirmation- required optional CV, 2x2, undergrad transcript, official nbde email or mail

According to the AAPD site, most programs seem to want three letters of evaluation. Does that mean two recommendation letters plus the institutional evaluation? I know that's all PASS allows you to upload.

According to the AAPD site, most programs seem to want three letters of evaluation. Does that mean two recommendation letters plus the institutional evaluation? I know that's all PASS allows you to upload.

Yes, if you go through it each programs requirments on their website you'll find that most will ask for an institutional evaluation, and two professional evaluators.

How many PPI and PEF is required for Lutheran Medical center

yes

You can also have a faculty mail in their letter separately in a sealed envelope if you want to get in more letters outside of PASS. Takes more work to get the mailing address and confirm it was received but worth the effort if it's a good letter of rec.

*Yale- emailed confirmation- required optional CV, 2x2, undergrad transcript, official nbde email or mail

Does anyone have any information about Ann & Robert Lurie - Chicago, IL?? I just don't like applying to places blindly.

*Oregon - snail mailed confirmation that they received supplemental fee (which means they got my application too since they were in the same packet)

do you guys know which programs require GPR? I've seem some programs in NY require State liscensure.. does that mean you had to have GPR under your belt? thank you

do you guys know which programs require GPR? I've seem some programs in NY require State liscensure.. does that mean you had to have GPR under your belt? thank you

No it doesn't, just means you need to be eligible. You'll need to get a limited license if you go there allowing you to practice in residency only (not for moonlighting)

Just curious for you guys still in dental school. Is pediatric dentistry now the most popular specialty everyone is trying for or is it still ortho or oral surgery?

*Oregon - snail mailed confirmation that they received supplemental fee (which means they got my application too since they were in the same packet)
*Bon Secours - emailed confirmation - they required 2x2 sent to them
*University of Louisville - no supplemental information

*LSU - emailed confirmation - required supplemental fee, CV and 2x2

*UCSF- emailed confirmation- CV, undergrad transcript, fee and application fee form, NBDE

Can anyone post on the tuition/stipend for Boston? It's not listed on the website and it's been difficult trying to contact them.

Can anyone post on the tuition/stipend for Boston? It's not listed on the website and it's been difficult trying to contact them.

I assume you mean BU? Tuition is about 65k plus fees (instruments, etc). Then theres living expenses on top of that (~20k each "semester"). Safe to say 100k a year.

Hi guys! I've been a long-time viewer of student doctor and this is my first time posting. :D I hope the 2014 pedo cycle will be kind to all of us!! After e-mailing USC on 7-23-13, I received a response from the Admissions requiring the following: 1. Undergraduate transcript, 2. CV, 3. NBDE score (unless reported in your Dean's Letter), 4. Application fee. It's a bit different from what was previously posted about USC, see below.

*UCSF- emailed confirmation- CV, undergrad transcript, fee and application fee form, NBDE
*USC - Email confirmation - Undergraduate transcript, CV, NBDE score (unless reported in your Dean's Letter), Application fee.

Hi guys! I've been a long-time viewer of student doctor and this is my first time posting. :D I hope the 2014 pedo cycle will be kind to all of us!! After e-mailing USC on 7-23-13, I received a response from the Admissions requiring the following: 1. Undergraduate transcript, 2. CV, 3. NBDE score (unless reported in your Dean's Letter), 4. Application fee. It's a bit different from what was previously posted about USC, see below.

*USC - Email confirmation - Undergraduate transcript, CV, NBDE score (unless reported in your Dean's Letter), Application fee.

Yup, the previously mentioned one was for internationals, so I assume it would be different.

Anyone heard back from Tufts ?

How long after esubmitting did programs start to confirm your application and request additional info?

Thanks!

How long after esubmitting did programs start to confirm your application and request additional info?

Thanks!

I submitted my application at the end of June. Some programs I heard from right away but others took weeks...

What are some of you guys doing at this point: are you waiting to submit the additional supporting documents only AFTER receiving confirmation that the program has received your PASS application, or are you sending in the additional documents even before they confirm it?

What are some of you guys doing at this point: are you waiting to submit the additional supporting documents only AFTER receiving confirmation that the program has received your PASS application, or are you sending in the additional documents even before they confirm it?

I submitting my supplemental information right away...tried to call/email schools to find out what they needed...plus looked on AAPD and ADEA/PASS search engine

Most importantly is getting board scores sent ASAP!

And found out today The Ohio State (OSU) requires DAT scores! Seriously?! Not at all sure why in the world they would need those but on well!

*Temple- email confirmation- supplemental application, CV, $25 fee,undergraduate transcript, DAT scores

*Temple - email confirmation - supplemental application, CV, $25 fee, undergrad transcripts, DAT scores
*Ohio State - email confirmation - required CV and 2x2 (emailed to them) and DAT scores

*Temple - email confirmation - supplemental application, CV, $25 fee, undergrad transcripts, DAT scores
*Ohio State - email confirmation - required CV and 2x2 (emailed to them) and DAT scores
*Maimonides Medical Center - emailed confirmation - fee, photo, CV

I thought for USC, only a fee is required? Supplemental is for GPR only. Scores are needed if you are applying to masters?

I thought for USC, only a fee is required? Supplemental is for GPR only. Scores are needed if you are applying to masters?

A supplemental application is needed only for GPR, however they do ask you to send your CV, undergrad transcript, and (TOEFL/ Course by course evaluation) if you're a foreign applicant, (NBDE) if you're US applicant.

*Columbia University- emailed confirmation- photo, CV, undergrad transcript

Does anyone know the address that Yale wants the board scores mailed to? I've tried emailing and it keeps getting bounced back.

Just a FYI for everyone... Interfaith Hospital in Brooklyn, NY is closing. Probably not a good idea to apply there :) Also, LICH is on the brink of closing.

Just a FYI for everyone... Interfaith Hospital in Brooklyn, NY is closing. Probably not a good idea to apply there :) Also, LICH is on the brink of closing.

What program are you referring to as LICH? Long Island College Hospital doesnt have a peds dental residency that I know of. Unless you meant LIJ (which is unlikely bc they tend to do well financially)?