2015-2016 Cycle Highlights. What's yours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

changtw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are now just a few days shy of the new cycle.

I started thinking over the whirlwind of a journey that was last year and found myself smiling thinking over the little details. I'm sure everyone has some cycle highlights that come to mind, so please share!

UCLA and USC have been long-standing rivals, and considering I did my undergrad at USC, it was the first thing mentioned during my UCLA interview.

Interviewer: "So I see you went to undergrad down the street."
Me: "Yeah, haha, I went to USC."
Interviewer: "How'd you like it there?"
Me: "I loved it!"
Interviewer: "You didn't want to go to UCLA?"
Me: "I applied, but they rejected me!"

Interviewer pauses for a bit and chuckles.

Interviewer: "They rejected me the first time, too."

We both had a good laugh, and it totally calmed down my nerves. The rest of the interview was smooth sailing after that.

It's definitely bittersweet that is it all now coming to an end. I'm gonna miss it.

Good luck to all the new applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Highlight would be that schools actually got back to me with feedback for my rejections. Well at least only some did.

Mine had to be when I got my first acceptance on Dec 1.

Let me start off by saying that I really, really hate my job. I'm a high school teacher and it is just not for me. I'm not bad at it - in fact I score very highly on my observations, but I really don't like it to the point where I sometimes dream about getting into a car wreck on the way into work just so I can have a few days off. I knew that if I didn't get into dental school this year, I'd have another year of teaching. That gave me horrible anxiety and constant stress.

So on Dec 1, I was at work, didn't have any cell phone service in my classroom, and my email is blocked for whatever reason on the school's internet. I had given my mother the password to my email & AADSAS account and told her to check it for me throughout the day and I would call her at lunch to see if there were any updates. I was already a nervous wreck but no one at my job even knew I applied for dental school, so I couldn't talk to anyone about it. Around 9:30am I got a call on my classroom phone and picked it up. It was my mother screaming to me that I got my first acceptance. I basically started crying in my classroom because I knew that I was done with teaching. My students were looking at me like "...wtf" and I told them I got into dental school. Most of them were like "congrats???????" and the rest just continued to ignore me like any other day, haha. That very next day I started a countdown with the number of days left of work. It was 121.

As of today, I still have 7 days left. I'm going to bawl my eyes out at graduation when I say goodbye to my seniors and bawl my eyes out again on the last day when I say goodbye to the rest of my students, but that Dec 1 acceptance gave me something to look forward to each day. It was basically a light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mine had to be when I got my first acceptance on Dec 1.

Let me start off by saying that I really, really hate my job. I'm a high school teacher and it is just not for me. I'm not bad at it - in fact I score very highly on my observations, but I really don't like it to the point where I sometimes dream about getting into a car wreck on the way into work just so I can have a few days off. I knew that if I didn't get into dental school this year, I'd have another year of teaching. That gave me horrible anxiety and constant stress.

So on Dec 1, I was at work, didn't have any cell phone service in my classroom, and my email is blocked for whatever reason on the school's internet. I had given my mother the password to my email & AADSAS account and told her to check it for me throughout the day and I would call her at lunch to see if there were any updates. I was already a nervous wreck but no one at my job even knew I applied for dental school, so I couldn't talk to anyone about it. Around 9:30am I got a call on my classroom phone and picked it up. It was my mother screaming to me that I got my first acceptance. I basically started crying in my classroom because I knew that I was done with teaching. My students were looking at me like "...wtf" and I told them I got into dental school. Most of them were like "congrats???????" and the rest just continued to ignore me like any other day, haha. That very next day I started a countdown with the number of days left of work. It was 121.

As of today, I still have 7 days left. I'm going to bawl my eyes out at graduation when I say goodbye to my seniors and bawl my eyes out again on the last day when I say goodbye to the rest of my students, but that Dec 1 acceptance gave me something to look forward to each day. It was basically a light at the end of the tunnel.
We made it. :clap:

Reactions: 3 users
My 'highlight' is looking back and realizing how I close I came to *not* getting in this cycle.

I got one interview invite out of 11 applications. The one interview I did get was because the committee was feeling benevolent and added a few late interview dates which they normally don't do (and no post-dec interviews at this school period). When I did get there, we were informed that there were 1500 applications for 100 seats. We were all interviewed by different faculty--in my case it was a pair of professors and it lasted for less than 10 minutes. The pair interviewing me seemed to be skimming my app for the first time while they were asking me questions. I guess they just saw "bachelor of arts in music" on my application and one person asked me, "dental school is very rigorous; do you think you'll be able to handle the workload coming from the arts?" So I took the opportunity to explain how I went back to school, started my science courses from scratch and finished all 50+ credits worth of a second degree in 14 months with a 4.0... that I then studied for 3 weeks for the DAT and received a 23... and that I am now working two jobs in my gap year... that I would have to be back home by tonight to open at Starbucks at 5am tomorrow morning and that I wouldn't be done tutoring until 9pm.

The person who asked was like, "oh... so, you'll be fine" and the other interviewer looked at her and said "I'm glad you asked that question."

So I barely got an interview and one of the most important moments of my interview grew out of a misconception about my file.

But on Dec 1st I went to an IHOP alone. And I got the call. "akog, you've got nothing to worry about because you are in." It was great. Then I realized I left my wallet at home.

That very next day I started a countdown with the number of days left of work. It was 121.

I've been doing the same with my barista days. 20 shifts left. I have a teacher that comes through the drive thru regularly, and after she pays and gets her coffee she stops, turns back to you, and says, "oh, and you wanna hear something good? There's only X days left until school is out."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
I've been doing the same with my barista days. 20 shifts left. I have a teacher that comes through the drive thru regularly, and after she pays and gets her coffee she stops, turns back to you, and says, "oh, and you wanna hear something good? There's only X days left until school is out."
The rest of the teachers at my school have also been on a countdown the last few weeks. Word quickly spread through my school that I was leaving at the end of the year and I got such mixed responses. My department head said that she was sad to see me leave because I'm the only other woman in our department. The teachers in my hall that I have gotten to know have told me how excited they are for me. The school deputy who I've gotten close with told me that he was happy to see that I am getting out of the profession because of how terrible it can be at times.

The others... have actually been rude. I've heard them talk behind my back and some of my students have confided in me that they have heard nasty things as well. All I can imagine is that they are jealous that I made it out. It's okay though. I'm writing thank you cards for everyone but them because I'm petty like that :)

Reactions: 6 users
waking up on a cold February morning when I didn't wanna go to physics lecture, only to check my emails and see that I got into my dream school, I didn't stop smiling for days, even whilst in physics, and thats saying a lot lmao

Aw man these are the best moments! Nice job describing it.
So did you end up going to the physics lecture that day? I NEED TO KNOW!

I got one interview invite out of 11 applications. The one interview I did get was because the committee was feeling benevolent and added a few late interview dates which they normally don't do (and no post-dec interviews at this school period). When I did get there, we were informed that there were 1500 applications for 100 seats. We were all interviewed by different faculty--in my case it was a pair of professors and it lasted for less than 10 minutes. The pair interviewing me seemed to be skimming my app for the first time while they were asking me questions. I guess they just saw "bachelor of arts in music" on my application and one person asked me, "dental school is very rigorous; do you think you'll be able to handle the workload coming from the arts?" So I took the opportunity to explain how I went back to school, started my science courses from scratch and finished all 50+ credits worth of a second degree in 14 months with a 4.0... that I then studied for 3 weeks for the DAT and received a 23... and that I am now working two jobs in my gap year... that I would have to be back home by tonight to open at Starbucks at 5am tomorrow morning and that I wouldn't be done tutoring until 9pm.

The person who asked was like, "oh... so, you'll be fine" and the other interviewer looked at her and said "I'm glad you asked that question."

So I barely got an interview and one of the most important moments of my interview grew out of a misconception about my file.

But on Dec 1st I went to an IHOP alone. And I got the call. "akog, you've got nothing to worry about because you are in." It was great. Then I realized I left my wallet at home.

Wow!
Just....wow. This is so beautiful. Congratulations :)

Reactions: 1 user
Lol besides actually getting into school?
I liked going to some cities I'd never been to before. I've only lived in 3 cities my whole life so it's cool to see how other people live in other places, if that makes sense. I like meeting locals.
Also, I remember at my Minnesota interview, I met someone from South Dakota. I've never lived anywhere near there and it always seems so foreign to me. So I remarked, "wow, South Dakota, that's pretty far!" and she said, "no, South Dakota is pretty close. You're the one that's from far away." Gained some perspective lol

great thread. Cool stories.

My deposit for Touro was due on 5/2(first acceptance). Lecom had called about a week before Touro deposit due date and told me that I would be offered a seat as soon as there's a seat available.
That was a pretty good news for me, but still not a solid / guaranteed offer. So I waited and waited, but lecom didn't call me. The D-day has come. Waited for lecom to call me all day on 5/2. I thought to myself I'd wait until around 5~6pm, which is probably when adcom employees all go home. Around 4pm, I got an email from lecom saying "congratulations, you are in"

I wasn't as excited as I was when I got my first acceptance, but still, I was happy to have saved that $2000 deposit money!

This is a fun thread to read for people who are just about to apply! Keep the stories going!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah the highlight of this cycle will be quitting my job.
Everyday I walk into work I ask my manager to fire me.

Funny thing is they think i'm joking.:shifty:

Reactions: 8 users

I have 7 more days of work but because of our weird schedule, I only see each class 3 more times :soexcited:

LOL. Your manager sounds awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
The highlight of the cycle for me is the fact that I got accepted to only one school which I am super grateful for; yet I came so close to failing my Biochemstry class, that experience made me realize how blessed I was to get accepted. I prayed as much as I studied, and I passed my course. The only thing I can say is that "GOD is AWESOME".

Reactions: 6 users
The highlight of the cycle for me is the fact that I got accepted to only one school which I am super grateful for; yet I came so close to failing my Biochemstry class, that experience made me realize how blessed I was to get accepted. I prayed as much as I studied, and I passed my course. The only thing I can say is that "GOD is AWESOME".

Oh awesome! So happy for you!

you are aweseme too!

Meeting cool people on the interview trail is definitely the highlight of the cycle, but Dec 1st itself is pretty cool. My flip hone was not equipped to handle it, but it was still a really awesome day.

I may just be speaking for myself but to al you 2017 applicants on December 1st when you're accepted it likely will not set in at all. It has yet to set in for me six months later
It still hasn't hit me that I'm going. I don't know if it will until I'm sitting in my first lecture like "omfg what did I get myself into help me please someone".

Reactions: 4 users
Meeting cool people on the interview trail is definitely the highlight of the cycle, but Dec 1st itself is pretty cool. My flip hone was not equipped to handle it, but it was still a really awesome day.

I may just be speaking for myself but to al you 2017 applicants on December 1st when you're accepted it likely will not set in at all. It has yet to set in for me six months later
Right? Maybe it will never set in.

It still hasn't hit me that I'm going. I don't know if it will until I'm sitting in my first lecture like "omfg what did I get myself into help me please someone".
We're screwed haha

A few highlights from my cycle...

1) Traveling to other parts of the country I've never been to and meeting awesome applicants that became friends (i.e. Scumbag_Steve).

2) Meeting up with old friends for the weekend that went to undergrad at the school(s) I was interviewing at.

3) Getting on the bus to go to class a 9AM on Decemeber first and getting a phone call from my #1 choice. I called my dad shortly after and telling him I got accepted to dental school, especially the same dental school he went to was the best feeling of the whole process! I still can't even fully describe it today since reality has not set in.

Reactions: 3 users
Are acceptances normally known through phone calls? I planned on looking at email Dec 1 11:59PM #thuglife
Some call and email, some only email. Temple notified me at 12:41 am.

Really? They're going out of their way if they work at that time of the hour lol
It's a known thing some schools notify applicants very early (there's a thread somewhere about it). It's all automated so nobody is working haha.

Dec 1st itself is pretty cool.
December 1st was the most exciting, nerve-wracking, stress-inducing day of my life.

Thankfully my friends offered to take me backpacking for the 4 days leading up to it, so I was somewhat distracted.

During our long, coastal drive back to the city the morning of 12/1, there was about a 30-40 mile stretch where there was absolutely no reception. Watching my phone search for signal and falsely grab 1-2 bars was painful. We finally stopped at an In-N-Out where all my emails loaded. An In-N-Out burger had never tasted better.

Reactions: 5 users
I hope to contribute to the 2016-2017 Cycle highlight thread. lol

December 1st was the most exciting, nerve-wracking, stress-inducing day of my life.

Thankfully my friends offered to take me backpacking for the 4 days leading up to it, so I was somewhat distracted.

During our long, coastal drive back to the city the morning of 12/1, there was about a 30-40 mile stretch where there was absolutely no reception. Watching my phone search for signal and falsely grab 1-2 bars was painful. We finally stopped at an In-N-Out where all my emails loaded. An In-N-Out burger had never tasted better.

This is beautiful. I love it.

Mine was also Dec 1st. I was crying in middle of ice cream aisle in target as I finally got the acceptance email at 5:30 pm after waiting all day, skipping school and not being able to sleep the night before lol.. Good times.. :laugh:

Mine was also Dec 1st. I was crying in middle of ice cream aisle in target as I finally got the acceptance email at 5:30 pm after waiting all day, skipping school and not being able to sleep the night before lol.. Good times.. :laugh:

So what flavor did you buy to celebrate your acceptance?

Congrats to everyone on getting into school ~~

Man... looking back, this cycle has been the craziest emotional roller coaster experience I've ever had in my entire life. I have to say there were 3 solid highlights:
  1. No Pre-Dec interviews, but tons of Pre-Dec rejections... so I had my heart set on reapplying. I began studying for the DAT again for the 3rd time (loooool), took the test in Dec, and was satisfied with my score.
  2. Only had two interviews in January. I came home on a Saturday after my 2nd interview, freaking out about how I had to reapply, b/c I had no other interviews lined up. Got the call the following week that I got accepted!
  3. Got waitlisted at my top choice, but got the call I was accepted in March :)
I ended 2015 thinking I was going to have to reapply, but 2016 has turned out to be pretty amazing. I can't wait to start school in a few months!

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you for sharing! So basically, there's no point in staying up at midnight since many schools don't even release decisions until ~8am.
My philosophy was originally to sleep in as late as possible and wake up to (hopefully) an acceptance or 2 so I wouldn't have to agonize too long. Unfortunately, I was awoken quite early by a fellow pre-dent and spent the morning refreshing my email/mobile portal until I heard back from everyone. Stay up late, sleep in late, wake up late, rejoice.

Congratulations y'all! What a terrific thread.
I can't wait to post my story if I am fortunate enough to get accepted next year.
As of now, the only thing interesting about my story is that my latest dream was about platypuses...which is a monotreme mammal that lays eggs. Thanks Bio Destroyer! lol