2015-2016 Interview Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd say that's a pretty big red flag, even if it is just limited to the ED. I wouldn't want to be trying to find beds for patients (on my own) in Boston.

Thank you for the input! I agree, it's definitely a big negative. I just didn't see that as a red flag in the sense of explaining why people considered the program "malignant." I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding what about the program made a couple different people tell me to avoid it? (None of them knew specific reasons, it seemed like all rumor.) Any insight would be welcomed here. I'm having a hard time deciding where specifically this program falls on my list because I do want to end up in or near Boston, but I'm also not sure if there is anything big I'm missing. Do you think the social work piece enough of a reason to avoid a program? Or are there likely other factors giving this program a bad rep? Or should I discount the rumors altogether? Haha, probably too personal to be getting on an interview review thread. Apologies, I will try to write up some more reviews as soon as I can to help get the thread back on track!

Members don't see this ad.

This brings up the theory of match special relativity. Since every program and every applicant is going for the best they can get, all programs are being forced to take whoever they can get. The really hot programs that are really wising by at 0.99% of C look at the applicants stuck in the ERAS ether and see that most their clocks are really moving quite slowly, but more average programs see them as moving fast enough. “Whoever you can get” is relative, one program’s weak link might be another program’s star.

I'm kinda "meh" on that issue, but also because I came from a program without night social work and it was never a major complaint for me. Not sure how it'd be in Boston but where I was at the residents learned tricks and resources to get people placed fairly quickly.
It's hard to say whether it's doable. I think the difference between Boston and other places (based on my interview season) is that you need to start from the assumption that none of the inpatient units in the area have a bed open.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cambridge Health Alliance

1. Ease Of Communication: The program coordinator, Bob Tetirick, was one of the best I met. He knew who each of us were in the morning and was very friendly, helpful, and responsive! The initial invitation came via ERAS with a choice of dates, and that same day, Bob confirmed my chosen date via email and sent an informational packet about the interview day.

2. Accommodation & Food: Pre-interview dinner was at a resident's apartment with lots of good food! No accommodations provided, but a list of nearby hotels was included in the initial emailed packet. Breakfast and lunch were provided on the interview day and were both decent and fairly typical.

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences): Day started at 8:15, ended by 4:30, and included 4 fifty-minute interviews. There was an initial overview of the program by the PD and APD. They then drove us in their personal cars to the outpatient clinic, where we had our first two interviews. They were longer than the interviews I had anywhere else, and for the most part, it seemed like they genuinely wanted to get to know me. We then drove back to the main CHA hospital for lunch, a tour, and finally two additional 50-minute interviews. My interview with Dr. Forstein (PD) was shorter than the other interviews because he had to meet with everyone, and it felt a bit rushed. This interview, like older reviews mention, was very psychoanalytic, whereas the other three were more conversational. One of my interviews was with a resident, who was fantastic, another with the APD who was also great, and my last interview was with an attending who had not read my application, seemed very disinterested, and kept looking at his watch. It was kind of a bummer because everyone else I met at the institution was wonderful and engaging. At 4pm we had cookies in Dr. Forstein's office to answer any last-minute questions and explain their post-interview policy. They don't contact applicants, which was nice to know, and if I remember correctly, they also don't do second looks.

4. Program Overview:

PGY1- 3 mo medicine (interspersed between psych months but all finishing by April), 1 mo night float/ICU, 1 mo neurology at CHA (interestingly, you work directly with attendings because there are no neuro residents), 1 mo behavioral neurology at McLean, 2 weeks Healthcare for the Homeless, 6 weeks elective, 1 mo child & adolescent, 1 mo geriatric, 1 mo psych ER, 1 mo addictions, 1 mo vacation.
PGY2- 6 mo inpatient psych in two 3-mo blocks, 3 mo at Mass Mental on either CBT or DBT track, 6 week psych emergency serice, 6 week CL. Also longitudinal outpatient psych.
PGY3- year-long outpatient experience which is “team”-based, also have children as outpatient. One-half day x 6 mo w/ psych Transitional Service, one-half day x 6 mo in Integrated Care/Medical home outpatient setting.
PGY4- continuity clinic 8-20 hours/week. The rest is elective.

-Call: no call in first year while on psych. Start “buddy call” at end of first year, then it’s q 2 weeks for PGY2 and 3.

5. Faculty Achievements & Involvement: Residents talked about their attendings as one of the aspects they loved most about the program. It’s a Harvard program, and the faculty are impressive, but the ones who stay at CHA are generally those who buy into the organization’s mission of serving the underserved. Residents said they are warm, approachable, and even take the team out to dinner at the end of every rotation. Everyone is on a first-name basis.

6. Location & Lifestyle: Very nice call schedule and residents said they felt “spoiled” compared to friends at other programs. Definitely allows for a nice work/life balance.There’s also an internal moonlighting system for “back-up call” in which you get paid $150-175/hour. It’s completely voluntary but many people seemed to do it.

7. Salary & Benefits: PGY1 $57,867 --> PGY2 $60,192 --> PGY3 $62,534 --> PGY4 $66,714
-Also get $1,900/year stipend for education which can be used for books ,therapy, laptop, etc.
–Also get a separate $1,000 stipend for Step 3.
–It's part of CIR union which provides on-call meals, a patient fund, etc.
–Great insurance, including fully paid optical and dental
-4 weeks vacation

8. Program Strengths:
-Mission-driven hospital and wonderful, compassionate group of residents
-Excellent psychotherapy training
-Emphasis on resident education- Full-day didactics starting April of PGY1. Dr. Forstein mentioned this costs the hospital a lot of money but was a conscious decision to value resident education.
-Elective time in PGY1 year which I don’t recall seeing anywhere else
-Unique opportunities to work in multicultural clinics, with Healthcare for the Homeless, and also in HIV psychiatry (Dr. Forstein is renowned in this field)
-Close-knit community with family feel

9. Potential Weaknesses:
-No tertiary care, as this is a true community hospital. That said, it’s part of the Harvard system, so if you want to work in a tertiary care setting you can use your elective time to do so at one of the Harvard-affiliates.
-I personally didn’t have the greatest experience with one of my interviewers, who seemed very disengaged
-High cost of living – per residents, this is only really problematic during the first year before you get paid very good money for back-up call

Overall impression: This will be one of my top few ranks!

Important to know for those who want to apply here:
you need 4 LORS, so plan in advance.

Reactions: 1 users
From what I hear, they have really brutal work hours, lots of changes, essentially the worst program in California. I haven't interviewed there, but I'm curious if things have changed (or will change hopefully for the better) with their new PD.

New user, long time lurker. Couldn't resist when I saw such inaccurate information.

I interviewed at Kaweah Delta earlier in the season. It's definitely a new program, no one can argue that. But to say it has brutal work hours is laughable. At dinner, one of the PGY1s said there was no call during PGY1 except on medicine. This upcoming year, the PD said they're changing it to one weekend day per week for 3 weeks/month while you're on inpatient psych. If working 8-5 M-F + one weekend day per week (plus NO night float months) constitutes "brutal work hours," I don't know what to tell you.

Overall I thought their new PD seems to really have it together and the program looks to be going in the right direction. Although, I imagine going here would hurt your chances at pursuing a fellowship? But I'm still a medical student with no idea what matters or doesn't matter when applying for fellowship other than word of mouth from residents.

Anyone care to comment on how you would fare in the fellowship match after going to a new program like Kaweah Delta (specifically wondering about CAP or addiction. Not very interested in Forensics)???

Brown

1. Ease Of Communication: Interview scheduling done with Thalamus, which I loved because I was able to select and confirm my date immediately, then change it later without email back-and-forth. When I did have a question, however, the PC Sarah was very responsive via email.

2. Accommodation & Food: Pre-interview dinner had great food and fun residents- I highly recommend attending if you can. No accommodations, but a link to a list of discounted hotel rates is emailed to you. Breakfast was provided on interview day (bagels, fruit, burritos) along with Indian food for lunch.

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences): My longest interview day on the trail. Started at 7:30 am and ended at 5. Included 5 thirty-minute interviews, all of which were after lunch-- tiring! One was with the PD, one with the APD, one with a resident, and the remaining 2 were with faculty members. All the interviewers were approachable and style for each was conversational. No difficult questions. The interviews themselves were fine but the format of the day (specifically, so many interviews and all after lunch) was less than ideal. One unique part of the day I really liked was a bus tour of Providence in the morning with the APD, who is fun and energetic.

4. Program Overview: There are 8 sites total, with Butler as “home base.” One (Bradley) is a free-standing child psychiatric hospital, and another main site is Rhode Island Hospital. All are within 20 minutes of each other.
-PGY1: 4 mo primary care (IM/peds/FM), 2 mo neuro, 4 mo inpatient psych, 1 mo dual diagnosis, 1 mo geriatrics.
-PGY2: 3 mo outpatient, 3 mo CL, 1 mo psych assessment service, 1 mo psych emergency, 4 mo child (2 inpatient, 1 elective, 1 CL).
-PGY3: 12 mo outpatient, including longitudinal resident continuity clinic, family therapy, and group therapy.
-PGY4: 2 mo forensics (6 residents?), 2 mo community pysch, 1 mo junior attending. The rest is elective.

-Call schedule was kind of confusing and I’m not sure I wrote it all down correctly… PGY1 – 3 teaching calls 5-10pm. 1 weekend ED teaching call/mo.
-PGY2- 1 weekend shift in ED per month. 1 week Women + Infants pager call, 1 weekend Bradley call during C&A. 3-4 weeks Jeopardy call. I think there’s also night float.
-PGY3- 18 calls/year, approx q 3 weeks. 1 week Jeopardy. 3-4 weeks WIC.
-PGY4- 3-4 teaching calls, 2-3 weekends Women + Infants call.

5. Faculty Achievements & Involvement: Large department with diverse interests and lots of research going on. Everyone I met was approachable, and residents had good things to say about the faculty.

6. Location & Lifestyle: Residents said they have excellent work-life balance. Providence is a nice, smaller city with good restaurants and reasonable cost of living. Some residents mentioned they bought houses during residency. There are plentiful moonlighting opportunities and apparently you could double your salary. 45 minutes from Boston and as option of commute for spouses.

7. Salary & Benefits: PGY1 $55,904 --> PGY2 $57,092 --> PGY3 $59,964 --> PGY4 $62,943
-$200/year for books or educational materials, reimbursed for license and APA dues, have $ for conferences
-Free food while on call at RIH or Butler if you show your ID
-3 weeks vacation PGY1-3, 4 weeks PGY4. Flexible and not pre-scheduled for you.
-Get 12 holidays per year. When not on medicine, if you are at a site where you have to work, you can “bank” these holidays for later use.

8. Program Strengths:
-Butler- a beautiful campus devoted entirely to psychiatry! It reminded me of McLean.
-PD and APD both seemed awesome
-Great research opportunities highlighted in a giant booklet given to you in your folder
-Strong in child and adolescent- gives you double the requirement of C&A and also allows you to substitute pediatrics for internal medicine in PGY1 year
-Residents were a very normal, social group and seemed like they do a lot together outside of work (one mentioned a group that does weekly trivia, for example)
-Comparatively low cost of living and lots of moonlighting opportunities
-Residents mentioned great work/life balance

9. Potential Weaknesses:
-
Longitudinal outpatient clinic in either internal med, family medicine or pediatrics for all of year 1.
-Lots of sites and sometimes have to commute between them midday
-Less elective time overall

Overall: Great program, and I really liked all the people there. This will also be one of my top few ranks! Decisions, decisions...

Reactions: 1 user
I think the difference between Boston and other places (based on my interview season) is that you need to start from the assumption that none of the inpatient units in the area have a bed open.
Where is this Narnia of which you speak that has all these open inpatient beds???

Last edited:
I interviewed at Kaweah Delta earlier in the season. It's definitely a new program, no one can argue that. But to say it has brutal work hours is laughable. At dinner, one of the PGY1s said there was no call during PGY1 except on medicine. This upcoming year, the PD said they're changing it to one weekend day per week for 3 weeks/month while you're on inpatient psych. If working 8-5 M-F + one weekend day per week (plus NO night float months) constitutes "brutal work hours," I don't know what to tell you.
Oh, I do know what to tell you:

Working 6 day weeks for 75% of your time doing inpatient psychiatry is brutal. Most programs are 7-8 am to 5-6 pm on inpatient psych. And sometimes you have to stay late when you get a late admit or a decompensating patient.

For call, you look at how often programs schedule non-overnights during the week ("weekday call" or "short call") in which you stay late after work and you look at how often you need to sacrifice part of a weekend. When you are in intern year, the goal is to have as much weekend as you can. That's pretty much a universal.

On internal medicine, they often have a 6 day week schedule where you get the equivalent of four days off for the entire month. Folks tend to dread it. To have psychiatry run with five days off for the entire month is crazy. I haven't heard of a program doing that.

I used to work part-time at Kaweah Delta. If Visalia isn't the armpit of California, you can see it from there (and I'm not a snob that feels the state is all about the coast). The greater community does not have much in the way of services, which can make for a depressing and/or limiting environment. The medical center is more than 3 miles from the inpatient unit, which can make for a bit of pucker factor when you have patients that have medical issues (though they used to have physical health MDs round on all the patients and take care of them). The program has had a lot of leadership change in a very short period of time.

I know a lot of good docs in the Kaweah Delta system and wish them well. They provide services to an underserved community in great need. I don't know anything about how they run their residency but I will say that the call schedule you are describing would be considered heavy by just about anybody.

Yeah, I know. Still makes me cringe a bit. But that's my problem...

Dharma, I'm not sure why you were offended by me noticing that there are a certain number of DO's in a program. That is in no way trying to make DO's out to be inferior to MD's. I think the issue that bothers you is the question of "otherness". I think that perhaps you want DO to be synonymous with MD--and the truth is that in many ways they are becoming more synonymous as we move forward. However let us still remember that DO's and MD's have separate matches (for now) and that while DO's can join MD's residencies, the opposite is not true. It is also true that at the most elite institutions in this country, very few DO's if any are accepted compared to MD's--whether that is what should happen or not is another discussion, but it is the way things are currently done. So if a top institution is allowing DO's into the program (i.e. deviating from what is normally done), it is either because they aren't able to attract MD's (if that's what they want) or because they are more open minded and want diversity, as I originally stated--not sure why that bothers you?

I have close friends who are DO's and I respect them very much and see how they work longer hours and harder rotations and learn more stuff than we do in the MD world. I also know that very few DO's continue to practice OMM after residency--last I heard it was something like 10-15%?

So Dharma, I think you should think about this question of otherness and how it makes you feel. If you think that MD=DO, you will probably feel insulted and "cringe" many times during your career because medicine is a conservative institution and changes slowly. If you think that DO is different than MD, I would encourage you to think about why the DO path is special and own that. Even if the hospital messes up and puts MD after your name instead of DO on your lab coat (which often happens), I hope you'll know deep inside what your identity is and why you chose to go into DO school instead of MD school.

I would be very happy to work with you in a residency and would value where you come from and what you have learned, regardless of the letters behind your name.

Dharma, I'm not sure why you were offended by me noticing that there are a certain number of DO's in a program. That is in no way trying to make DO's out to be inferior to MD's. I think the issue that bothers you is the question of "otherness". I think that perhaps you want DO to be synonymous with MD--and the truth is that in many ways they are becoming more synonymous as we move forward. However let us still remember that DO's and MD's have separate matches (for now) and that while DO's can join MD's residencies, the opposite is not true. It is also true that at the most elite institutions in this country, very few DO's if any are accepted compared to MD's--whether that is what should happen or not is another discussion, but it is the way things are currently done. So if a top institution is allowing DO's into the program (i.e. deviating from what is normally done), it is either because they aren't able to attract MD's (if that's what they want) or because they are more open minded and want diversity, as I originally stated--not sure why that bothers you?

I have close friends who are DO's and I respect them very much and see how they work longer hours and harder rotations and learn more stuff than we do in the MD world. I also know that very few DO's continue to practice OMM after residency--last I heard it was something like 10-15%?

So Dharma, I think you should think about this question of otherness and how it makes you feel. If you think that MD=DO, you will probably feel insulted and "cringe" many times during your career because medicine is a conservative institution and changes slowly. If you think that DO is different than MD, I would encourage you to think about why the DO path is special and own that. Even if the hospital messes up and puts MD after your name instead of DO on your lab coat (which often happens), I hope you'll know deep inside what your identity is and why you chose to go into DO school instead of MD school.

I would be very happy to work with you in a residency and would value where you come from and what you have learned, regardless of the letters behind your name.
let's not start this shiat here, ok?

Reactions: 3 users
"Some of my best friends are DOs"... oh wait, I meant psychologists, never mined. ;)

Reactions: 3 users

Ok

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Minnesota (my take)

Pros:

--some of the most pleasant, welcoming, amazingly bright and down to earth people I've met all interview season, from interms to faculty. Interns appeared at both the pre interview dinner and the day of, which says something about their workload.

--some of the newest and most nice-looking facilities I've seen all interview season -- even at the brand name institutions and the institutions that have a lot of money to throw around. Read: WINDOWS, WINDOWS, WINDOWS. And indoor plants. Can't be underestimated in a cold northern climate.

--good social work, nursing, and psych-tech support (nobody's overworked, dedicated team social workers in inpatient)

--attended a noon talk as part of interview day, was impressed by clinical applicability despite the basic science topic

--Minneapolis is a very livable city, with a great food scene, arts, sports, and lots of highly educated and pleasant people. Diverse patient population in every way, including immigrants and refugees.

--in 3rd year, there are some patients who need to be staffed every time due to their insurance requirements (~1/3); others can be staffed on intake and thereafter as often or as rarely as you want. (This is better than some programs, where no staffing is generally done after the first intake).

Cons:

--the day was structured such that the actual interviews were in the afternoon. Not optimal for those who are like me and are invariably in a post-lunch food coma. The PD is a person who's generally described as "hard to read," even by the fourth years and attending staff.

--your required general pediatric rotation is a heme-onc and genetic anomalies unit, where the expectations have been historically higher than most interns felt ready for. Arguably, too, you see a lot of rare stuff but not as much bread and butter peds, so one may question how useful this is for a future psychiatrist

--the institution's name is mud in some respects due to the scandal regarding protocol omissions when recruiting patients for a drug trial. As a result, psychopharm research is limited, though other research (medical education, therapy, social interventions, psych procedures) continues on

--Yes, it gets quite cold in winter. For reference, it's on average 5-10 degrees colder in winter than most other places in the upper midwest, though the summers are still hot-hot-hot. But the city is also well-accustomed to snow, so roads get cleared off pretty quickly.

--the program is known for being incestuous. In most classes, all but one of the residents have graduated from U of M. This was explained to me in several ways: 1) the medical school has a history of having lots of students interested in psychiatry and the psych department has a good relationship with the med school, which results in students having a good time on their third year rotation 2) people who are from Minnesota tend to really like Minnesota. The department has a high retention rate overall.

For my part, I have to say that they do like to see a Minnesota connection -- I had my interview offer days after sending them an email clarifying that I do indeed have one even though it's not in my application. A few of my classmates in not!Minnesota expressed concern that they'd be either at a disadvantage in the application process or that the incoming intern class will "all already know each other and I'd be the odd one out." For the first point... see above. Yes, they do like a Minnesota connection but I've been told it's not a dealbreaker if you lack one. At my interview day, 2/4 applicants had no Minnesota connection. For the second part, U of M has two campuses (one in the twin cities and one in Duluth) and a large number of hospitals that they rotate through, so no, people frequently don't know each other at all when they come in. My only concern about the whole situation is that unlike UNLV, which also has a demographic imbalance (stay tuned for my review), Minnesota seems to think there's nothing at all wrong with filling its class with locals.

Last edited:
About the DO/MD thing, let's just be honest... It's about the fact that admission to MD schools is more competitive, no? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that a lot of people apply to DO schools as a backup if MD doesn't work out.

Does anyone have thoughts or insight on the program in Las Vegas or JPS Fort Worth?
I'm working on it! :) I'll try and have my reviews up for both places today or tomorrow.

About the DO/MD thing, let's just be honest... It's about the fact that admission to MD schools is more competitive, no? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that a lot of people apply to DO schools as a backup if MD doesn't work out.

I'm working on it! :) I'll try and have my reviews up for both places today or tomorrow.

Not sure, you'll have to ask Dharma for an answer to that.

Program Name: University of Virginia (UVA)

Program Communication: No issues, very prompt and friendly. PC actually spent the whole day with us, so that if you had downtime between interviews, she could answer any questions you had about the city, housing, fun things to do etc.

Accommodations: Hampton Inn close to campus is within walking distance. Because the interview day didn’t start until 9, I probably would have been ok booking a hotel further out and paying less. But the Hampton is also within walking distance to downtown which was nice.

Dinner: Dinner was at an Asian Fusion tapas style restaurant. Tons of variety. I actually enjoyed this dinner more than others because I got to try more things as opposed to a big plate of pasta. Both chiefs and a PGY-2 attended. Very casual, and they were fun to talk to.

Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences):
Start at 9:00am with breakfast of pastries, fruit, coffee, etc.

9:00-10:30 Intro from PD and PC covering training schedule, different hospitals, elective opportunities, benefits, stipends, salary etc.
Four-30 minute interviews spread throughout the day with one 30 minute break (some interviews can be after lunch). Tour and lunch from 12:00 to 2:00. Lunch was Italian pasta, salad, cannolis. ~6 residents for lunch, with some just dropping in to say hi. Interviews were very casual and laidback. No weird questions or behavioral style interviews. However, every interviewer left at least 15 minutes for questions, so towards the end it actually made it difficult to think of more stuff to ask.

Lastly, 30 minute wrap-up with the chair for any final questions. Ended about 3:30.

Program and Curriculum Overview (1 block = 5 weeks)
PGY-1
: 3 medicine blocks (1 inpatient, 2 consult - choose from general medicine, cards, endocrine, toxicology etc.) Toxicology is particularly popular because the schedule is very easy and there is a day when you get to go hiking and learn about poisonous plants. Also very useful from a substance abuse standpoint. Most residents take Step 3 during Tox.
2 blocks neuro: 1 inpatient, 1 consult
4 blocks CL/Emergency Psych: combination varies each year
3 Blocks Adult Inpatient Psych

PGY-2: 2 UVA inpatient, 1 state hospital (forensic), 3 consult/ER/night float, 1 substance, 1 Wellness recovery (crisis stabilization), 1 geriatric, 1 elective

PGY-3: Outpatient, private practice model, psychotherapy, telemedicine

PGY-4: Outpatient, electives

Program Feel and Culture:
UVA is a large academic center in a relatively small town. The training program is of medium size (10 per class). People were very friendly here. After interviewing at a few places in the south, I still got that “southern hospitality” flavor here. The program culture is very supportive, while respecting resident autonomy. One resident had said that attendings will follow more closely at the beginning of intern year, but generally trust you more as the year progresses. He said about halfway through intern year he began “feeling like a doctor.” There are no such things as stupid questions here, and upper levels seem to be very willing to lend a hand.

Off service months were seen by the residents to be more favorable than they are at other institutions, with 1 block inpatient medicine and 1 block inpatient neuro being the most intensive parts of intern year (80 hrs). Being able to choose 2 elective medicine months is a huge plus. Some experience in toxicology/endocrinology to me seems very practical due to the side effects and overdose potentials of psych drugs. People actually found outpatient psychiatry to be more challenging, not because of the hours, but because they held more responsibility for the patient. They had their own offices (decorate however you like) and scheduled their own patients.

I did not post details regarding call/night float, but seems to be fairly average among university programs of this size. No one seemed overworked or exhausted.

Location & Lifestyle
Charlottesville is a collegetown, and there is a lot more going on here than it seems. Many restaurants/bars in the downtown mall. Housing seems very affordable, especially if you are willing to drive 10-15 minutes to work. Some residents had bought houses. If you need the big city fix, DC or Richmond are a very reasonable weekend trip away.

Music is actually quite vibrant here – with John Paul Jones arena attracting some big names in the past. Lots of college sports to go to if that’s your thing. Lots of walkable parks, hiking, and fishing activities. Blue Ridge mountains/Shenandoah National Park are fun places to take weekend trips to.

You get all 4 seasons here, with occasional snow. In general pretty mild winters compared to the NE, and milder summers compared to the deep south.

Salary & Benefits
PGY-1 $51,750
PGY-2 $53,015
PGY-3 $55,300
PGY-4 $59,080

Book stipend, conference stipend
Free small gym in basement of hospital (free weights and a few cardio machines), generally empty
Discount to use any university gyms
Free parking (if you choose not to park, $90 is given to you every month)
Food stipend when working nights ($50 a month)
Health insurance with low month premium, no co-pay if you go to UVA hospital

Program Strengths
-Good community and rural experience
-Strong telemedicine
-Child, geriatric, and forensic fellowships
-Friendly people, supportive culture
-More attention to cultural psychiatry than most other programs (one of the attendings teaches several courses on cultural psychiatry – he also directs the refugee clinic)
-Work in university and forensic/state settings
-Many things to do despite being a smaller city, especially outdoors stuff– 2 hours to DC, 1 hour to Richmond
-Middle size program (10 spots), so probably ok to find coverage in an emergency, but still small enough to get to know co-residents well

Potential Weaknesses
-Less research going on (ranks 52 for research dollars in 2014), but obviously available if interested
-The TMS program just started here a few months ago, so it is not as developed as some of the other programs in the south
-No VA affiliation
-Overall, still less diversity in patient population
-No C/L (psychosomatic) or addiction fellowship
-May be harder to be single here. The population has a lot more people in the 20s-30s due to the university, but the number of young professionals outside of the school is limited.

That was my assumption too, as that's the only halfway justifiable argument I can see for giving preference to MDs. Hence my rant about privilege and achievement earlier. Some DO schools are much more competitive than others though, right? So if we're using that as the distinction between MDs and DOs, then it's hard to even say that DO = DO. IMO, in an ideal world where people aren't reduced to numbers and where they got their diploma from, applicants would be evaluated based on their demonstrated capacity for achievement within the context of their own life circumstances. I think it's the difference in where you started and where you are now and how you've handled adversity along the way that should indicate who's the "best" applicant. But people don't have time for that and we end up with unfair over-generalizations. A blindly merit-based system means that people who have done well in the past will be favored to continue doing the best in the future, even if they only did the best in the past because of a superior starting position.

My brother actually wanted to go to a DO school. He felt the DO philosophy was more in tune with his beliefs. He hopes to practice in rural Kentucky, so he thought that training in and around Pikeville, KY would be more applicable. I could also see a solid MD applicant choosing a DO school for a scholarship. At the same time, I know this girl who is in DO school because she partied really hard all through college and got terrible grades (like D's in pre-med science courses...smh). I'm surprised she even found a school that would take her. I guess it was her 35 on the MCAT that saved her. So, yeah... what I said before about evaluating people on a case by case basis. Generalizing people into groups so that they're easier to deal with is cheap.

UNSOM-Las Vegas
(Disclosure: This was one of my earliest interviews, and I have to admit I was not yet aware of all the relevant nuts and bolts of clinical training. For instance, I will have to email them back and ask more about didactics**, your role on medicine**, what supervision actually consists of**, as well as psychotherapy training** and more info on call**. But Vegas is an interesting place to live and to practice psychiatry in, and the last substantive thread I've seen on the program is from 2007, so it's high time we had an update. Of note, UNLV will be "owned" by UNR(eno) as of next year, but this is an administrative change that shouldn't affect your life as a resident.)

1. Ease Of Communication: Unfortunately, my interview scheduling experience was among the worst with this program. I got an email at around noon, and replied at 3 pm (I was 2 hrs ahead of vegas, too). Although it was relatively early in the interview season, they only offered 4 dates. Having heard nothing after an hour (either by phone or by email), I followed up with a phone call. I was told that three of the dates I listed in my email were already taken (that fast???!!!), and the fourth one was vastly inconvenient. I had a mind to tell them right then and there to forget it, but my avoidant personality got the better of me, and I settled for the inconvenient date.

As a matter of policy, they've also stated that they don't respond to interview thank you's and don't send out letters to the tune of "we were very impressed with you and would love to see you in our program." Allegedly, people in the past have interpreted these sorts of communications as promises of getting highly ranked and matching into the program.

2. Accommodation & Food: They don't offer accommodations or discounts for lodging, but they'll tell you which hotels are closest to campus. (IMHO, AirBNB is better any day, but when it comes to your own transportation, watch out for the super-aggressive cabbies around the strip.) I wasn't able to make the dinner the night before, but it was allegedly very good. They also fed us an excellent breakfast -- read: it featured more than just carbs -- as well as a solid lunch.

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences): The organization of the interview day was also a little... different. There were about 20 interviewees, and we were split into three groups. There were also three parts of everyone's day: interviews, a tour of SNAHMS, and a tour of the university hospital. There was no tour of the VA, as it's located outside the city (maybe a 30 minute drive, as we were told). The groups varied in the order of the activities. The interviews were very chill, and unique in that you got to talk to the two chiefs at the same time, and then to two faculty at the same time. Each interview was 30 minutes. There were no particularly stressful questions. In fact, this was one of the few programs that made the question "why here" sound not at all threatening, and more like a means of starting the conversation.

3a. The people:
Among the residents, there is about a 50/50 MD/DO split. I didn't meet as many residents as I might've liked due to missing the dinner, but the ones whom I did meet throughout the day were very laid-back and chill. One of the chief seemed a little stiff in his address, but this was an exception. Notably, the interns we met during our tour seemed very happy, and had time to stop and chat during our tour, which was led by 3rd years.

Of note, the residents were predominantly male -- there is an average of one female per resident class. Of these, about half have families, and some residents cited that they wished the class would do more together outside of work (they probably can't due to having kids), but there are regular meet-ups at the department chair's house such as movie nights and trivia nights.

In regards to the gender imbalance, I was told that this is something the program is actively working to correct. They do in fact invite an equal number of women and men to interview, but even at the interview day, there were maybe 4 women out of a total of 20. The program also ranks as many women as men, and -- off record -- I was told that when there is a woman and a man who are about equally desired, the woman will be ranked higher. The program is also quite family-friendly, with no less time off and benefits than anywhere else. So the only possible explanation appears to be the reputation of Vegas -- namely, that it's "unsafe" and "sketchy," or (according to some comedians) that there are probably exotic dancers at the pre-interview dinner and that's how they attract applicants. But in all honesty, the women who were there told me they were quite happy and did not feel like the reputation of Las Vegas bore out at all.

4. Program Overview: Program got started in the 90's, so early on there were kinks to be worked out, but it seems that things are going much better. This is a very small program for the size of the population (4 residents per year until very recently; now 6), and the only one in town. This means you get quite a bit of attention from the attendings, and you see quite a bit of pathology. The good news is, most services have caps at ~7 patients per resident, and patients are picked according to educational value. Most notably, Vegas is the mecca for psychosis, bipolar, substance abuse, and other addictions such as gambling. You also get a lot of visitors and transplants from all over the U.S. and the world, so if you're interested in the interface of mental illness and culture, this may be the place for you.

Intern year, you have required medicine, ER, and FM rotations. Core work is done at the VA, university hospital, and SNAHMS, a county facility. There are psych ER's both at the VA and SNAHMS (190 psych beds + 30 beds at psych ER). Second year, the pediatric psych service features an addiction and substance abuse component. 3rd year, outpatient and therapy is mostly at SNAHMS with some VA.

SNAHMS is surprisingly well-funded and well-run, with lots of outpatient and community services available. Third year outpatient is also largely at SNAHMS. The county social workers are "amazing," and gather all the collateral -- including from sources out of state -- so you don't have to. The facility is one of those beautiful, green space filled ones that doesn't look like an institution at all. The only downside is that the staff areas are relatively open, despite (rare) incidents in the past such as a patient getting in there and throwing a laptop.

**Call -- on weekends, you can choose to take it from home, and there is no overnight call. Otherwise, it's every other day 5-10 pm on inpatient psych. I need to follow up to see if this is true past 1st year or not.

VA -- service is frequently gummed up by vets with gambling and substance abuse problems who run out of money before the end of the month and need a place to stay.

UN hospital support staff have been described as "overworked but very knowledgeable."

There's an in-house Child and Adolescent fellowship, and a Forensics fellowship that miiiiiiiight be available by the time we graduate from residency.

**I am not sure what the dedicated forensics opportunities are -- although the PD is a forensic psychiatrist and there are lots of involuntary patients in the county systems.

4th year electives include the private sector, which many residents and faculty are fans of, because Vegas has a large void of psychiatrists, and private practice after several years of insitutional work is something many residents have on their radar.

Not much in the way of rural medicine or telemedicine; it seems they have their hands more than full with what's going on locally.

Didactics -- dedicated 1/2 day with no clinical duties, pager duty, or notes/orders to write.

Bottom line: The program is more clinically oriented, with less focus on research and high tech interventions. In the words of the PD: "If you want to do something like imaging research, this is not the place for you. I don't even think there's even on PET scan machine in the entire city." I think this is one of those university-affiliated programs that *has* research options if you are interested in them, but won't push them on you and you have to be proactive in finding opportunities.

5. Faculty Achievements & Involvement: PD is a forensic psychiatrist. Residents site faculty being dedicated to teaching and always available, often by text or phone, and friendly faculty-resident relationships.

The PD requires his own moment in the spotlight, I think. As both the founder of the program and the PD, he is very involved in supervision and teaching. He's also quite the colorful character -- very spontaneously funny (see comment below about "drug dealers, exotic dancers, and people who park their cars at the Bellagio), but also very direct and opinionated in his talk to the group ("some programs think having multiple hour-long interviews in better. I think what we do is better -- you get to meet more people in less time.") Was very, very nice during the interview, though.

6. Location & Lifestyle: Vegas can afford a great lifestyle -- the cost of living is quite low (one resident has 5 kids, and he did just fine on an intern's salary with his wife staying at home to home-school-them). There's also much more to the city than just the strip. Highbrow stuff such as museums and opera might not be as plentiful as elsewhere, but natural wonders abound outside the city limits, there's a vibrant night life, restaurant scene, shopping, and any shows that come through are bound to be fabulous. Of note, locals can get cheap seats to many shows at sites like fillaseat dot com, and the hotels and resorts provide ample opportunities for a staycation.

As in any large city, it's important to exercise common sense in staying safe, but the female residents deny ever having felt unsafe walking to their car or being out at night. Indeed, Vegas may even be a good place to be a young woman, as it's easy to get into clubs and bars with your girlfriends for free -- even if you have a prominent wedding ring on your finger.

Of note, it may not be immediately obvious what neighborhoods are "nice" and which ones are not. There have been stories of residents from out of town getting apartments in what seemed like reputable places, only to witness drug deals on the corner come nightfall. If you choose to come here, you are advised to contact the current residents and staff for housing recommendations. The good news is, it's relatively easy to buy a house, and there are many gated communities of renters and home-owners are almost invariably a good bet. Schools also vary depending on neighborhood.

Culturally speaking, Vegas is full of transplants (much like LA, many people come here because they "have a dream.") It's also likely to be different from most places in that the amount of education you have does not necessarily correlate with the amount of respect you get. According to the PD, "the locals at the top of the food chain in Vegas are the drug dealers, the exotic dancers, and the people who park cars at the Bellagio. Many MD find this insulting, which is part of the reason why there is a shortage of doctors here."

7. Salary & Benefits: salary in low 50's, personal and family benefits, including dental -- though dental is limited in scope of practitioners who will take it. Ample external and internal moonlighting opportunities, with many residents doubling their salary.

8. Program Strengths:
--depth and breadth of clinical pathology
--large population to draw from, with checks and balances in place to make sure you actually have time to learn and get attending face-time
--low cost of living, definitely not a boring place to live
--lots of moonlighting opportunities
--prep for private practice in 4th year
--county facilities and support staff are excellent, though other clinical sites are more average
--2 psych ER's

9. Potential Weaknesses:
--some people understandably can't get past the reputation of Vegas -- which is deserved in some ways but not in others (no, it's not unilaterally unsafe and sketchy, but yes, people there don't put as much stock in education)
--resident demographics skewed towards the male/family side of things, and in context of a small program, this may make bonding outside of clinical duties harder
--less emphasis on research/imaging/procedures

Last edited:
My run-down of the Arizona Programs

I actually really like Arizona because I don't mind the heat, I think the desert is incredibly cool (no pun intended), and state funding of psychiatry is not the best, so it'll be easy to

Tucson
--the Tucson programs may in some ways be one program, since they share didactics, clinical sites (it's just a matter of where the majority of time is spent), as well as some of the faculty. The residents all know each other and help each other out when they find themselves on the same service.
U of A Tucson (Their main university hospital is owned by Banner now, which owns a lot of the hospitals in the state)
--pretty typical academic program with lots of opportunities for research, electives, and faculty who specialize
--somewhat VA-heavy the first couple years, although the VA boasts some nice facilities and programs, and the population includes active duty, younger, and women
--the residents I met were kind of "meh" (not especially bright-seeming or enthusiastic, though personable enough)... Except for the chief. I friggin' love their chief and want to be her. She's an IMG for a non english speaking country, but speaks without a trace of an accent, and basically created her own perinatal psychiatry clinic during 3rd year
--transition to 3rd year is reported to be challenging, with attendings and seniors being "available right down the hall" if you need help during your clinic, but you have to take the initiative, and you only staff new patients. You also schedule your own patients.
--this program takes "family friendly" to a new level -- staff and residents have been known to bring their infants to clinic and call.
--interviews mostly in the style of "do YOU have any questions?"
--Banner is building a new hospital for the university, which will be finished in 4-5 years. I'm not sure why, though, the existing university hospital is just fine, except for the windowless offices in the psych department.

U of A Tucson - South Campus
--The residents I met were amazingly fun, enthusiastic, confident, and bright, coming from some strong medical schools elsewhere in the country.
--As stated above, you rotate through the VA and the university hospital, though the bulk of your work is with various marginal populations in a county setting, so the level of acuity is high and the variation of pathology is substantial.
--your role on medicine is that of an "extra," so the experience is less brutal
--2 chief resident interviews and 2 interns at the lunch! Everyone agrees that the staff are excellent teachers and available to supervise as much as you need. ("They want you to call them.")
--social work is currently facing some issues, as Banner (which is steadily buying up everything) has decided to lower the qualifications for certain positions. As a result, some of the social workers are overworked or have less experience, but you don't have to do anything ridiculous like search for your own patients' beds.
--sweet offices for 3rd years with lots of windows

Phoenix
--less liberal than Tucson, has controlled its growth not quite as well so traffic is a beast, but the temperature variations are slightly less dramatic (allegedly due to the concrete).

Maricopa Integrated Health System
--mostly a county uninsured/underinsured, undocumented, high-acuity population. Unique in that a sizable portion of the patients are involuntary, so you get a lot of forensics exposure. Unfortunately, you will also experience the revolving door phenomenon, as undocumented immigrants are not entitled to any outpatient services in Arizona. Since you see fewer high-functioning patients with garden-variery anxiety and depression, you will have to go out of your way to pick those in your 3rd year clinic. There are fewer of them, but they're there.
--3rd year, some of your work is at clinics at places such as St. Vincent de Paul (a charitable organization), at a vocational training facility, an ACT center, and a transitional home for youth at risk.
--full day of didactics and 2 hrs of weekly dedicated therapy supervision with process notes and video/audio recordings heavily utilizd. Supervision on the wards is graduated, and you start low, following 2-3 patients, and gradually work your way up to 7 or so. You draw from a population of 200 or so, though, and attendings will pick particularly instructive patients for you.
--night float (residents love it)
--residents did not seem particularly gung-ho about therapy, writing it off as "well, I probably won't be doing it anyway in my practice." There are no dedicated therapy-only patients, though you are required to do the big ones such as CBT and DBT in combination with med management, and to help lead depression and substance abuse groups. Recently, the group work has been improved, with the attending required to do more teaching and showing before throwing you into the leadership role.
--Internal medicine is different in that it's consults vs. ward work. The good news is, the hours may not be as brutal. Residents feel ready for Step 3 regardless.
--county facility is well-organized, well-run, and quite pretty. Occasionally, nurses will call you asking to consider restraining a patient or giving them a prn because they "need a break." Considering the acuity and the involuntary aspect, this is understandable.
--people who are there really like it. Lots of "lifers." Also, interestingly enough, lots of docs who trained at high profile places on the East Coast such a Yale and Duke.
--interviews involved questions about counter-transference and how you manage conflict. Since you'll be working with a lot of patients who hate you for having involuntarily committed them, this is understandable.

Banner University Medical Center
--They didn't ask me for an interview! Damn them! But I've done some reconnaissance work at other programs. Honestly, I think this might have been the most well-rounded option based on the breakdown of time you spend at the VA, county, and university hospital. The only downside I can see is that Banner owns the university hospital now, and they are a private hospital group, so they have a tendency to cherry-pick their patients with a skew towards the less socially complex and well-insured. The rest get sent to to Maricopa.

Baylor

(-) Nothing pretty to look at -- not in the hospitals (with the possible exception of the lobby of the hospital where Bush Sr. goes), not in the town, and not in the surrounding area.
(-) The humidity: the struggle is real.
(-) Call-heavy. Don't recall the details right now.

(+) One of the best resident welcomes I've had all year. They love each other, love the program, and one of the interns gave me three rides over the course of two days.
(+) Diverse patient population, both in terms of pathology and socio-culturally. Unique issues such as drug trafficking, undocumented immigrants, and etc.
(+) Your supervisors and didactics teachers are people at the forefront of the field, doing research in things like imaging, psychogenetics, and the inflammatory model of mental illness. Despite this, they are very approachable and down to earth; one neuropsych guy (I forget who) is amazingly eloquent at explaining pathophysiology during rounds and didactics.

(+/-) The clinical settings you work in vary quite a bit, so you have to be adaptable. This is not the program for someone who prefers "safe and predictable."
(+/-) The program won't get on you about taking Step 3. Some people procrastinate until 4th year. May be good or bad for the test-anxious among us.
(+/-) Psychoanalytic institute, with one of the psychoanalysis "big deal" people involved in shaping psychotherapy training. Idk about this... The clinical role of psychoanalysis has been controversial of late.
(+/-) Most grads go into fellowship or private practice

Bottom line: if only Houston appealed to me more, I'd be there yesterday.

Last edited:
I would really appreciate some insight from some people a few years out of residency -- how important is prestige in a residency program? I'm torn between a program that has higher prestige vs one that makes more sense for my family/future. My family's willing to compromise if it will make a big difference, but I'm wondering whether it will? Both have job security, but one is much much more prestigious. Thoughts?

I would really appreciate some insight from some people a few years out of residency -- how important is prestige in a residency program? I'm torn between a program that has higher prestige vs one that makes more sense for my family/future. My family's willing to compromise if it will make a big difference, but I'm wondering whether it will? Both have job security, but one is much much more prestigious. Thoughts?

THIS!!! I want to know too, in particular when it comes to the "community vs. academic" divide. I am finding that I turn my nose up at programs where I feel like I might get really good training simply because they are "community programs," and those for the most part are less well-regarded. On the other hand, I find myself willing to overlook ways in which programs are not a good fit simply because they're an academic powerhouse and a better-recognized name.

Also, don't get me started on the way in which climate and physical appeal of the facilities tends to bias me.

(+) Prite scores don't figure into your evals.

Bit of unwanted wisdom, but "residency evals =/= med school evals." Both your PRITES and your evals should be guides to your own self-assessment rather than "your permanent record" like in med school. What is or isn't factored in (with some probable exceptions) shouldn't be something to worry much about.

I know it took me until the middle of my second year to get out of that mindset.

Honestly there are enough of us here from all regions of the country who can give you honest perspectives of specific programs if you name them. (especially compared to generalities of "prestigious vs not")

What do you want to do after training? Practice or teach? There in lies your answer. All graduates can practice about any where.

^^^ This.

And unless you are academics-bound, keep in mind that the academic program vs community program can be a false dichotomy. San Mateo is a community program, and I would put their clinical training up there with much more "prestige" academic programs. And many academic programs have their "own" county hospitals and their community training can be superior to many community programs.

Hence the false dichotomy. Going to a community program won't rule out an academic career but going to a prestigious program can grease the skids. And if you're not going into academics, look for location, clinical offerings, devotion to teaching, fit, and location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My rundown of the Chicago programs.

UIC-Chicago

(+) Research and clinical experiences -- you get access to everything and the kitchen sink. Well-funded and well-regarded, lots of faculty who are a leadings expert/researcher in their field. As a bonus, all the sites where you might do electives and clinic are clustered together in the same hospital complex.
(+) Population and pathology? It's Chicago! Enough said.
(+) Psych residents and the department in general are highly regarded by the institution. Psych residents are known for being the best of all the Chicago programs on the services they rotate through (and this includes non-psych!)
(+) Large resident class, which is good for call and finding people you'll get along with.
(+) Residents are happy and the class is close-knit.
(+) Downtown Chicago is actually quite pretty, with an inspiring mix of prewar high rises and the modern glass-and-steel. The lakefront is beautiful, too.

(-) No free parking. Living in the Loop will make your wallet cry (especially if you have a car), though many people choose to live a little farther west and do quite well. Some people will get a pass for the EL at $100, and don't even use their car. The highways leading to the suburbs carry the dubious distinction of being the most congested in the country.
(-) Cold and windy. They don't call it the Windy City for nothing.
(-) Facilities could use more windows, less linoleum, and fewer brown painted accents.

(+/-) Workload -- I've heard mixed reviews. From a 3rd year, I've heard that "people have cried on medicine," whereas a current intern on medicine told me that their hours are very benign, allowig them both time to study and to have a social life. (That may be just that person, though... They seemed brilliant, given their past accomplishments.)
(+/-) The whole "research powerhouse" and "every clinical opportunity and more" thing is a double-edged sword, I think. There are more opportunities than any one person can reasonably take advantage of, so it seems like you need to be a self-starter and proactive in navigating what's available and getting involved. (I was told that the research mentorship relationships "just happen organically," which could mean that if you're interested in something, you have to take the initiative and approach people about getting involved.) The kid in a candystore effect is a possibility as well. Another worry is that the faculty who are a big deal in their field might care more about their research than about teaching -- but since this was an early interview, I didn't yet know how to probe for this when asking questions.

Loyola-Stritch
(+) Patient population still more than diverse enough, even though it mostly draws from the northwest part of the metropolitan area
(+) Research and electives not quite as extensive as UIC, but you can still get a good variety, including some of the rarer things like women's psychiatry.
(+) Three clinical sites, and they're all located in the same general area. You can walk from one to the other.
(+) Nurturing environment. Smaller program. Residents estimate 95% of attendings want to get to know you and care about your education. Lots of "lifers."
(+) Shiny new facilities

(-) On call, you cover two hospitals. Yes, you can walk between them, but during a Chicago winter, this is less trivial than you'd think.
(-) Less of a big name than UIC (Is this even as relevant as I think it is???)

(+/-) Unless you choose to live near or in downtown (and I don't know why you would, but some people do), the cost of living is pretty affordable and the traffic is minimal. However, some parts of the northwest are rough and it may not be immediately obvious which, so you have to do your research

The rest:
UChicago -- didn't apply, mission too "ivory tower" and they drive around too much to get to their clinical sites
Northwestern -- didn't apply for personal reasons
Rush -- wasn't offered an interview :( Word on the street is they have free parking, though.
Rosalind Franklin -- didn't apply, community it serves is too small

Last edited:
What do you want to do after training? Practice or teach? There in lies your answer. All graduates can practice about any where.

I don't know...

I don't know if I want to teach because I haven't taught, unless you count peer teaching during small groups in college and med school. I don't know if I want to do research because the very idea of writing grant proposals and navigating the ERB process gives me a headache. It would be nice, though, from a purely ego standpoint to get your name on a publication and to know a topic really well, and to present at conferences and all that.

Here's the thing. I've been selling myself during interview season as a Mother Theresa sort who wants to work with the sickest of the sick, the refugees, and the immigrants, and the uninsured and underinsured. That's who I am right now. But things may change... After four years, I might decide that I want nothing more to do with the above and prefer the safety of treating minor neuroses or ED's in a private suburban clinic. I guess the question in regards to this is, would I be shortchanging myself by choosing a program that focuses on a high-acuity, socially complex population? Or is it never a bad idea to learn how to treat the sickest of the sick so that anything you encounter thereafter is easy? Case in point, I worked with an attending who trained at Mayo, and she told me her program did not teach her to deal with patients who might be resistant to treatment or have limited access to auxiliary resources, and in this regard she wishes she had chosen another program.

Honestly there are enough of us here from all regions of the country who can give you honest perspectives of specific programs if you name them. (especially compared to generalities of "prestigious vs not")
Ok, anyone want to talk about the Arizona programs (esp. U or A vs U of A-SC), New Mexico, Baylor, WashU in St. Louis, Minnesota, and UIC and Loyola-Stritch in Chicago -- I'd appreciate honest perspectives. :) Basically all the ones I've posted about recently.

UNSOM-Las Vegas
(Disclosure: This was one of my earliest interviews, and I have to admit I was not yet aware of all the relevant nuts and bolts of clinical training. For instance, I will have to email them back and ask more about didactics**, your role on medicine**, what supervision actually consists of**, as well as psychotherapy training** and more info on call**. But Vegas is an interesting place to live and to practice psychiatry in, and the last substantive thread I've seen on the program is from 2007, so it's high time we had an update. Of note, UNLV will be "owned" by UNR(eno) as of next year, but this is an administrative change that shouldn't affect your life as a resident.)

1. Ease Of Communication: Unfortunately, my interview scheduling experience was among the worst with this program. I got an email at around noon, and replied at 3 pm (I was 2 hrs ahead of vegas, too). Although it was relatively early in the interview season, they only offered 4 dates. Having heard nothing after an hour (either by phone or by email), I followed up with a phone call. I was told that three of the dates I listed in my email were already taken (that fast???!!!), and the fourth one was vastly inconvenient. I had a mind to tell them right then and there to forget it, but my avoidant personality got the better of me, and I settled for the inconvenient date.

As a matter of policy, they've also stated that they don't respond to interview thank you's and don't send out letters to the tune of "we were very impressed with you and would love to see you in our program." Allegedly, people in the past have interpreted these sorts of communications as promises of getting highly ranked and matching into the program.

2. Accommodation & Food: They don't offer accommodations or discounts for lodging, but they'll tell you which hotels are closest to campus. (IMHO, AirBNB is better any day, but when it comes to your own transportation, watch out for the super-aggressive cabbies around the strip.) I wasn't able to make the dinner the night before, but it was allegedly very good. They also fed us an excellent breakfast -- read: it featured more than just carbs -- as well as a solid lunch.

3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences): The organization of the interview day was also a little... different. There were about 20 interviewees, and we were split into three groups. There were also three parts of everyone's day: interviews, a tour of SNAHMS, and a tour of the university hospital. There was no tour of the VA, as it's located outside the city (maybe a 30 minute drive, as we were told). The groups varied in the order of the activities. The interviews were very chill, and unique in that you got to talk to the two chiefs at the same time, and then to two faculty at the same time. Each interview was 30 minutes. There were no particularly stressful questions. In fact, this was one of the few programs that made the question "why here" sound not at all threatening, and more like a means of starting the conversation.

3a. The people:
Among the residents, there is about a 50/50 MD/DO split. I didn't meet as many residents as I might've liked due to missing the dinner, but the ones whom I did meet throughout the day were very laid-back and chill. One of the chief seemed a little stiff in his address, but this was an exception. Notably, the interns we met during our tour seemed very happy, and had time to stop and chat during our tour, which was led by 3rd years.

Of note, the residents were predominantly male -- there is an average of one female per resident class. Of these, about half have families, and some residents cited that they wished the class would do more together outside of work (they probably can't due to having kids), but there are regular meet-ups at the department chair's house such as movie nights and trivia nights.

In regards to the gender imbalance, I was told that this is something the program is actively working to correct. They do in fact invite an equal number of women and men to interview, but even at the interview day, there were maybe 4 women out of a total of 20. The program also ranks as many women as men, and -- off record -- I was told that when there is a woman and a man who are about equally desired, the woman will be ranked higher. The program is also quite family-friendly, with no less time off and benefits than anywhere else. So the only possible explanation appears to be the reputation of Vegas -- namely, that it's "unsafe" and "sketchy," or (according to some comedians) that there are probably exotic dancers at the pre-interview dinner and that's how they attract applicants. But in all honesty, the women who were there told me they were quite happy and did not feel like the reputation of Las Vegas bore out at all.

4. Program Overview: Program got started in the 90's, so early on there were kinks to be worked out, but it seems that things are going much better. This is a very small program for the size of the population (4 residents per year until very recently; now 6), and the only one in town. This means you get quite a bit of attention from the attendings, and you see quite a bit of pathology. The good news is, most services have caps at ~7 patients per resident, and patients are picked according to educational value. Most notably, Vegas is the mecca for psychosis, bipolar, substance abuse, and other addictions such as gambling. You also get a lot of visitors and transplants from all over the U.S. and the world, so if you're interested in the interface of mental illness and culture, this may be the place for you.

Intern year, you have required medicine, ER, and FM rotations. Core work is done at the VA, university hospital, and SNAHMS, a county facility. There are psych ER's both at the VA and SNAHMS (190 psych beds + 30 beds at psych ER). Second year, the pediatric psych service features an addiction and substance abuse component. 3rd year, outpatient and therapy is mostly at SNAHMS with some VA.

SNAHMS is surprisingly well-funded and well-run, with lots of outpatient and community services available. Third year outpatient is also largely at SNAHMS. The county social workers are "amazing," and gather all the collateral -- including from sources out of state -- so you don't have to. The facility is one of those beautiful, green space filled ones that doesn't look like an institution at all. The only downside is that the staff areas are relatively open, despite (rare) incidents in the past such as a patient getting in there and throwing a laptop.

**Call is relatively easy -- on weekends, you can choose to take it from home, and there is no overnight call. I need to follow up on whether this is just 1st year or throughout.

VA -- service is frequently gummed up by vets with gambling and substance abuse problems who run out of money before the end of the month and need a place to stay.

UN hospital support staff have been described as "overworked but very knowledgeable."

There's an in-house Child and Adolescent fellowship, and a Forensics fellowship that miiiiiiiight be available by the time we graduate from residency.

**I am not sure what the dedicated forensics opportunities are -- although the PD is a forensic psychiatrist and there are lots of involuntary patients in the county systems.

4th year electives include the private sector, which many residents and faculty are fans of, because Vegas has a large void of psychiatrists, and private practice after several years of insitutional work is something many residents have on their radar.

Not much in the way of rural medicine or telemedicine; it seems they have their hands more than full with what's going on locally.

Didactics -- dedicated 1/2 day with no clinical duties, pager duty, or notes/orders to write.

Bottom line: The program is more clinically oriented, with less focus on research and high tech interventions. In the words of the PD: "If you want to do something like imaging research, this is not the place for you. I don't even think there's even on PET scan machine in the entire city." I think this is one of those university-affiliated programs that *has* research options if you are interested in them, but won't push them on you and you have to be proactive in finding opportunities.

5. Faculty Achievements & Involvement: PD is a forensic psychiatrist. Residents site faculty being dedicated to teaching and always available, often by text or phone, and friendly faculty-resident relationships.

The PD requires his own moment in the spotlight, I think. As both the founder of the program and the PD, he is very involved in supervision and teaching. He's also quite the colorful character -- very spontaneously funny (see comment below about "drug dealers, exotic dancers, and people who park their cars at the Bellagio), but also very direct and opinionated in his talk to the group ("some programs think having multiple hour-long interviews in better. I think what we do is better -- you get to meet more people in less time.") Was very, very nice during the interview, though.

6. Location & Lifestyle: Vegas can afford a great lifestyle -- the cost of living is quite low (one resident has 5 kids, and he did just fine on an intern's salary with his wife staying at home to home-school-them). There's also much more to the city than just the strip. Highbrow stuff such as museums and opera might not be as plentiful as elsewhere, but natural wonders abound outside the city limits, there's a vibrant night life, restaurant scene, shopping, and any shows that come through are bound to be fabulous. Of note, locals can get cheap seats to many shows at sites like fillaseat dot com, and the hotels and resorts provide ample opportunities for a staycation.

As in any large city, it's important to exercise common sense in staying safe, but the female residents deny ever having felt unsafe walking to their car or being out at night. Indeed, Vegas may even be a good place to be a young woman, as it's easy to get into clubs and bars with your girlfriends for free -- even if you have a prominent wedding ring on your finger.

Of note, it may not be immediately obvious what neighborhoods are "nice" and which ones are not. There have been stories of residents from out of town getting apartments in what seemed like reputable places, only to witness drug deals on the corner come nightfall. If you choose to come here, you are advised to contact the current residents and staff for housing recommendations. The good news is, it's relatively easy to buy a house, and there are many gated communities of renters and home-owners are almost invariably a good bet. Schools also vary depending on neighborhood.

Culturally speaking, Vegas is full of transplants (much like LA, many people come here because they "have a dream.") It's also likely to be different from most places in that the amount of education you have does not necessarily correlate with the amount of respect you get. According to the PD, "the locals at the top of the food chain in Vegas are the drug dealers, the exotic dancers, and the people who park cars at the Bellagio. Many MD find this insulting, which is part of the reason why there is a shortage of doctors here."

7. Salary & Benefits: salary in low 50's, personal and family benefits, including dental -- though dental is limited in scope of practitioners who will take it. Ample external and internal moonlighting opportunities, with many residents doubling their salary.

8. Program Strengths:
--depth and breadth of clinical pathology
--large population to draw from, with checks and balances in place to make sure you actually have time to learn and get attending face-time
--low cost of living, definitely not a boring place to live
--lighter call duty
--lots of moonlighting opportunities
--prep for private practice in 4th year
--county facilities and support staff are excellent, though other clinical sites are more average
--2 psych ER's

9. Potential Weaknesses:
--some people understandably can't get past the reputation of Vegas -- which is deserved in some ways but not in others (no, it's not unilaterally unsafe and sketchy, but yes, people there don't put as much stock in education)
--resident demographics skewed towards the male/family side of things, and in context of a small program, this may make bonding outside of clinical duties harder
--less emphasis on research/imaging/procedures

The Didactics are 1/2 day on Wednesdays and protected. When I asked more about the didactics they couldn't seem to give me anymore information about organization and content of the lectures. On intern year there is short call (in-house 5pm-10pm) every other day, and weekend home call is both saturday and sunday every other weekend. Are you sure this is considered light call duty though?

What do people think of living in Vegas without considering the Strip? The Strip seemed pretty overwhelming to me with all the traffic and priciness of things. I know that renting a condo is very affordable, but are there a lot of other things to do there outside of the Strip?

The Didactics are 1/2 day on Wednesdays and protected. When I asked more about the didactics they couldn't seem to give me anymore information about organization and content of the lectures. On intern year there is short call (in-house 5pm-10pm) every other day, and weekend home call is both saturday and sunday every other weekend. Are you sure this is considered light call duty though?

What do people think of living in Vegas without considering the Strip? The Strip seemed pretty overwhelming to me with all the traffic and priciness of things. I know that renting a condo is very affordable, but are there a lot of other things to do there outside of the Strip?

Well, that's a detail I admit I didn't remember well since it's been a while. What I did remember is that people did not view call as particularly onerous -- like, you're not often swamped with admits and ward staff are pretty good at not calling you for silly reasons. Very frequently, weekend call = almost nothing, you just carry the pager.

People say there's absolutely stuff to do off the strip. In fact, locals actually tend to avoid the strip. People say good things about the restaurant scene, as well as the arts (First Friday -- galleries have open houses). There are bars and clubs are not just on the strip. Plus there are eclectic museums, outlet malls, day spas, and the nature just outside the city.

Last edited:
Program Name: Harvard Longwood

Program Communication: No problems with scheduling or communication.

Accommodations: No accommodations provided. Program did provide a list of discounted hotels in area in their original email.

Dinner: Excellent restaurant with pre-fix menu. Several choices for appetizers, entrees and desserts, and wine provided. Vegetarian options available. Good resident turnout (approximately 1/2 residents and 1/2 applicants).

Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences):
Start at 8:45 am with breakfast with array of pastries, bagels, fruit and coffee to which we had access between interviews. Chief resident gave brief intro over breakfast and answered questions. PD (Dr. Sams), APD (Dr. Boland), and Chair (Dr. Gitlin) discussed logistics of the program, future split, etc. We then had 3 half hour interviews with faculty (including either PD or APD) and a half hour interview w/ a resident spread through morning and afternoon. Good resident turnout at lunch. After lunch, went on extensive tour of campus which included glimpses of Brigham inpatient unit, Mass Mental, and Beth Israel. Ended in Beth Israel where we had a group meeting with Dr. Greenberg who is in charge of resident education at BI. End at approximately 3 pm or slightly later depending on schedule.

Program and Curriculum Overview:
~16 residents per class. Some highlights of the program: PGY1: IM is either at Brigham or Newton Wellesley. Can choose to substitute 1 of 2 months of adult neurology for child neurology at Children’s. PGY2: mix of inpatient, partial hospital, and child psych. 1-2 psychodynamic patients (~1 hour supervision/week). PGY3: mix of community (20 hours/ wk x 6 months), CL (20 hours/wk x 6 months) and outpatient (20 hours/wk x 1 year). ~3 hours of psychotherapy supervision. PGY4: elective and outpatient. Electives include: healthcare for the homeless, student mental health, policy/leadership,

Call System: PGY1 year: 1 month NF (inpatient). PGY2 -2 month NF (inpatient & ED). Refer to website for information about PGY1/2 call outside of night float. PGY3- q15 24 hour call throughout the year. PGY4s have q15 home call.

Didactics/Scholarly Project: 4-5 hours/wk protected didactics time. Residents did not mention didactics much (do not seem to love it or hate it). 4 hrs/ week for scholarly project PGY2-PGY4 years. Didactics in morning, scholarly project in afternoon.

~20 general inpatient beds at Brigham and 20 at Faulkner (which is a satellite site of Beth Israel).

Location & Lifestyle:
Boston is as expensive as NYC. Large metropolitan area with a lot to offer in terms of food, culture, variety of neighborhoods etc. Residents live throughout the city, but many live in neighborhoods surrounding Brigham/BI (including Brookline, Jamaica Plains etc.). Program sends out more information regarding housing after the match. Residents are very close-knit, social, and down to earth. This would not be a place where you feel isolated as a single person. There are also residents with families.

Program Feel and Culture:
Program is particularly strong in: neuropsychiatry, psychosomatics, community psychiatry ( Mass Mental Health), and child psychiatry (Boston Children's). The program is non-dogmatic and strong in both psychotherapy and biological approaches. Beth Israel has traditionally been more psychotherapy-heavy than the Brigham and therefore lends a perfect balance to its counterpart. Residents are social, friendly, and eager to discuss details of the program. The enthusiastic, supportive culture of the program was emphasized by both residents and faculty.

Salary & Benefits
PGY-1 $59,000
PGY-2 $62,000
PGY-3 $64,350
PGY-4 $67,160
Vacation: 4 weeks per year
Moonlighting opportunities mostly in 4th year. We were not given many specifics on this.

Program Strengths:
-Psychosomatics, child psychiatry (rotate at Boston Children’s), community psychiatry (rotate at Massachussetts Mental Health), and neuropsychiatry are areas of strength
-Opportunities for supervision in various modalities of psychotherapeutic modalities (psychodynamics, CBT, etc.) starting PGY2 year
-Residents are cohesive, social with a mix of singles, married, families
-4 hours/week of scholarly research time for all residents PGY2-PGY4 years
-Mixed patient population (including college students from nearby universities and homeless/indigent patients)
-Academic setting, opportunities for research both within Psychiatry Department as well as opportunities for interdisciplinary research
-Well regarded program, residents are competitive for fellowship and job placements

Potential Weaknesses:
-Boston is expensive
-Less inpatient beds than some hospitals (~40-50) and no specialized units
-Less psychotherapy supervision than at the NY programs. however, residents felt they had excellent supervision (1-3 hours/week starting PGY2)

Program Split in 2017:
Program is splitting into two programs for the class starting in 2017 (Beth Israel and Brigham). Difficult to discern the extent to which will affect trainees starting in 2016. Will continue Longwood program in full for 2016 trainees. BI and Brigham faculty are very close and on good terms. Decision to split came from Partner’s level (parent company for all Harvard programs). Program leadership said that it is not uncommon for Harvard programs to split or combine. There will be 10 residents at each of the new programs in 2017 (total of 20 residents). There will be more sites to compensate for the increase in the resident pool.

Last edited:
Anybody here who trained at Tufts for psych or no somebody who went through the residency? I'd love to hear someone's experience going through the program. For what it's worth I loved the interview there and thought the PD was the nicest PD I had met on the entire interview trail.

Furthermore, the faculty, while on the smaller side (maybe about 30 full time) are extremely intelligent,well trained and heavily invested in resident education. And since there are only 5-6 residents per class, you get ample time to work with the faculty and get supervision/mentorship from there. I agree with other post that there is an analytic bent, but I don't think you have any trouble getting supervised in other modalities.

And in terms of location, I honestly think it's the best location out of all the Boston programs. Right next to south station, centrally located. Great place to pick up all kinds of patients!

No, not really. Even though yes 5 day a week psychoanalysis is probably not coming back for most of us.
Then the people at WashU in St. Louis lied to me.

I could blather endlessly about this question, but the short of it is: No. "Prestige" just simply doesn't matter nearly as much as you hope it will.
That said, whichever fork in the road you follow, you'll justify to yourself that it was the right decision. That's just the way humans are.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure how it is at the resident level, but so far in my education I've observed that if you attend a highly regarded institution, people tend to give you the benefit of the doubt even if you screw up or do below average in your class. However, each program is also what you make of it. If you go somewhere high-profile but it's not a good fit and you don't thrive, then what's the point?

I'm not sure how it is at the resident level, but so far in my education I've observed that if you attend a highly regarded institution, people tend to give you the benefit of the doubt even if you screw up or do below average in your class.
That ends in medicine.

Not sure about its existence in medical school (I didn't go to a highly respected enough place where that was an issue), but in residency you are no longer along for the ride and are responsible for your patients and your mistakes (at least the ones not caught by others) have consequences.

Once you are responsible for patient care, you'll find that where you went to medical school, undergrad, high school, or who your father is won't matter to anybody. You'll be judged on your clinical skills, your ability to get along with others, your work ethic, and how you treat your patients (in no particular order).

Saying you went to Harvard might be great conversation fodder in residency interviews, but won't matter on the wards.

And as follow on, once you finish residency, you'll be judged similarly, not based on where you trained. Go where you'll thrive. Prestige likely plays little influence on that.

since you asked...
My rundown of the Chicago programs.

UIC-Chicago

(+) Research and clinical experiences -- you get access to everything and the kitchen sink. Well-funded and well-regarded, lots of faculty who are a leadings expert/researcher in their field. As a bonus, all the sites where you might do electives and clinic are clustered together in the same hospital complex.
(+) Population and pathology? It's Chicago! Enough said.
(+) Psych residents and the department in general are highly regarded by the institution. Psych residents are known for being the best of all the Chicago programs on the services they rotate through (and this includes non-psych!)
(+) Large resident class, which is good for call and finding people you'll get along with.
(+) Residents are happy and the class is close-knit.
(+) Downtown Chicago is actually quite pretty, with an inspiring mix of prewar high rises and the modern glass-and-steel. The lakefront is beautiful, too.

(-) No free parking. Living in the Loop will make your wallet cry (especially if you have a car), though many people choose to live a little farther west and do quite well. Some people will get a pass for the EL at $100, and don't even use their car. The highways leading to the suburbs carry the dubious distinction of being the most congested in the country.
(-) Cold and windy. They don't call it the Windy City for nothing.
(-) Facilities could use more windows, less linoleum, and fewer brown painted accents.

(+/-) Workload -- I've heard mixed reviews. From a 3rd year, I've heard that "people have cried on medicine," whereas a current intern on medicine told me that their hours are very benign, allowig them both time to study and to have a social life. (That may be just that person, though... They seemed brilliant, given their past accomplishments.)
(+/-) The whole "research powerhouse" and "every clinical opportunity and more" thing is a double-edged sword, I think. There are more opportunities than any one person can reasonably take advantage of, so it seems like you need to be a self-starter and proactive in navigating what's available and getting involved. (I was told that the research mentorship relationships "just happen organically," which could mean that if you're interested in something, you have to take the initiative and approach people about getting involved.) The kid in a candystore effect is a possibility as well. Another worry is that the faculty who are a big deal in their field might care more about their research than about teaching -- but since this was an early interview, I didn't yet know how to probe for this when asking questions.

Loyola-Stritch
(+) Patient population still more than diverse enough, even though it mostly draws from the northwest part of the metropolitan area
(+) Research and electives not quite as extensive as UIC, but you can still get a good variety, including some of the rarer things like women's psychiatry.
(+) Three clinical sites, and they're all located in the same general area. You can walk from one to the other.
(+) Nurturing environment. Smaller program. Residents estimate 95% of attendings want to get to know you and care about your education. Lots of "lifers."
(+) Shiny new facilities

(-) On call, you cover two hospitals. Yes, you can walk between them, but during a Chicago winter, this is less trivial than you'd think.
(-) Less of a big name than UIC (Is this even as relevant as I think it is???)

(+/-) Unless you choose to live near or in downtown (and I don't know why you would, but some people do), the cost of living is pretty affordable and the traffic is minimal. However, some parts of the northwest are rough and it may not be immediately obvious which, so you have to do your research

The rest:
UChicago -- didn't apply, mission too "ivory tower" and they drive around too much to get to their clinical sites
Northwestern -- didn't apply for personal reasons
Rush -- wasn't offered an interview :( Word on the street is they have free parking, though.
Rosalind Franklin -- didn't apply, community it serves is too small

First I should just make some notes on your geography. Very few if any residents live "in the loop" of Chicago or what's considered downtown, though the "West Loop" and "South Loop" are distinct neighborhoods and the latter is popular with residents. You can use google maps to see the boundaries. The Med District is relatively well-connected to transit, so Rush and UIC residents are known to be scattered all over the city. Loyola residents are clustered farther west for obvious reasons. In the city, South Loop and Ukrainian Village are popular with Loyola residents I know since both are a straight shot west. Oak Park has kind of a suburban/city hybrid feel and is popular too, then of course the farther western suburbs are an option for the more traditional suburban lifestyle.

As for the actual residencies, UIC as you said has a rep for a solid all-around program, really strong psychosis program, and A LOT of pathology. It's certainly doesn't have a rep as a cushy program but as a result, you'll see a lot. Lots of poverty and other socioeconomic problems in the patient population they see there, so it's something you'll have to learn to manage, but at the same time they probably draw from the most diverse patient base of any program in the city. The UIC grads I work with speak very highly of the PD. If there's a main con of the place, it's that it's a state university program in a state that's not known for its fiscal health.

Loyola is a very VA-heavy residency, which can be both a pro or a con depending on your interests. The good side is that for a VA, Hines is pretty diverse and has one of the better and more comprehensive VA mental health programs out there, so if you're interested in veteran mental health care, it's hard to find a better place. Their inpatient sites are solid but I'm not sure if they're as rigorous in terms of what you end up doing as a resident and what you see in terms of training compared to UIC. I know they also rotate at Elgin which is something that UIC doesn't get to see.

UIC has probably the more solid all around training, but you'll work harder for it.

Last edited:
George Washington University

Another program I couldn’t find many reviews on, so here goes…

1. Ease Of Communication: Interview invitation sent via ERAS. Further information sent via email by PC Tory, who was very responsive.at the first year is very tough because you’re isolated from your co-interns and there’s a lot of call, but they also said this gets easier each year. Several residents mentioned that they are "collegial" with each other but do not tend to socialize together. We were told the first year is largely about "fatigue management." Hmm.

7. Salary & Benefits:
PGY1: 55, 749 --> PGY2: 57,712 --> PGY3: 60,677 --> PGY4: 63,120
$6 meal vouchers when on call. 12 weeks maternity leave. No education stipend. I asked a resident about moonlighting and she says it’s on a case-by-case basis(?).

8. Program Strengths:
-Location in DC
-Emphasis on humanism in psychiatry and seemingly diverse patient population
-Strong CL department
-Opportunity to get your MPH during residency, 90% paid for
-Amazing global health opportunities. Their residents have done some pretty amazing things globally; one started a clinic in Palestine, one went to Greece to do a needs assessment for Syrian refugees, one was just returning from Nigeria
-Full day didactics starting PGY2
-Very cool subspecialty clinics available to take part in- HIV/AIDS, women’s health, college mental health, refugees, oncology

9. Potential Weaknesses:
-Residents didn’t seem very happy, and they didn’t seem to like each other. One applicant asked a couple different people how they got along with their co-residents and they said things like “we’re cordial” and “we do our own thing.”
-No psych ER. Psych patients wait in the hallway of the medical ED.
-Small class size
-In the overview, we were told “this is not the place fo you if you’r

Overall Thoughts: I went into this interview thinking I would absolutely love the program, but was a little disappointed. The residents' answers to questions were somewhat sketchy and evasive, and I was left wondering if there are issues under the surface? Just my two cents... I hope I'm wrong!
George Washington University

Another program I couldn’t find many reviews on, so here goes…
[snip]
8. Program Strengths:
-Location in DC
-Emphasis on humanism in psychiatry and seemingly diverse patient population
-Strong CL department
-Opportunity to get your MPH during residency, 90% paid for
-Amazing global health opportunities. Their residents have done some pretty amazing things globally; one started a clinic in Palestine, one went to Greece to do a needs assessment for Syrian refugees, one was just returning from Nigeria
-Full day didactics starting PGY2
-Very cool subspecialty clinics available to take part in- HIV/AIDS, women’s health, college mental health, refugees, oncology

9. Potential Weaknesses:
-Residents didn’t seem very happy, and they didn’t seem to like each other. One applicant asked a couple different people how they got along with their co-residents and they said things like “we’re cordial” and “we do our own thing.”
-No psych ER. Psych patients wait in the hallway of the medical ED.
-Small class size
-In the overview, we were told “this is not the place for you if you’re interested in research.”

Overall Thoughts: I went into this interview thinking I would absolutely love the program, but was a little disappointed. The residents' answers to questions were somewhat sketchy and evasive, and I was left wondering if there are issues under the surface? Just my two cents... I hope I'm wrong!

You're not wrong! GWU Psychiatry is a terrible program. The residents are miserable, the faculty contact/ mentorship is non-existent, the administration is a wreck. The subspecialty clinics and CL are plusses, but they may not even be there year to year. Every year, GWU has to re-negotiate contracts with different clinics, and some either don't want to deal with the administrative headache or have their own power-trips that interfere with negotiations (like Inova Fairfax did in 2011/12, which caused residents to miss out on an ACGME training requirement of addiction medicine).

GWU is a relic that relies on its location and its history (which includes being the center for lobotomy for crying out loud!), and doesn't back that up with any kind of adequate training. The Global Mental Health experiences listed were all things that the residents had either funded before residency or on their own. And remember, not all residents get to do GMH, so if you're not one of those residents who spends a month in another country, you get to take up the on-call slack.

Sure, there are nice residents and faculty there, but many of those residents feel they've lost their souls in order to graduate and the turn-over for good faculty is very high because they don't feel supported by the administration either.

Do yourself a favor and run away from GWU, unless you want them to ruin your chances at a career or having any semblance of self-confidence when you leave.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how it is at the resident level, but so far in my education I've observed that if you attend a highly regarded institution, people tend to give you the benefit of the doubt even if you screw up or do below average in your class. However, each program is also what you make of it. If you go somewhere high-profile but it's not a good fit and you don't thrive, then what's the point?
Half of any class will be below the median. That's a silly metric to use out of context.

Ok, anyone want to talk about the Arizona programs (esp. U or A vs U of A-SC), New Mexico, Baylor, WashU in St. Louis, Minnesota, and UIC and Loyola-Stritch in Chicago -- I'd appreciate honest perspectives. :) Basically all the ones I've posted about recently.

I have interviewed at New Mexico and Minnesota (back in early November/late October) and really don't remember a lot of details off the top of my head.
Both programs seemed to have generally happy, interesting, and down-to-earth residents who have fun at work and have time to have fun (and have families) outside of work.

Minnesota: The negatives - I wasn't as inspired by the faculty and program. I go by feeling and just didn't get that feeling I got at other places in terms of faculty doing really innovative or inspiring things here. I was suprised that there wasn't a greater emphasis on serving the state of Minnesota and the underserved in the twin cities. It also seemed like therapy was pushed to the side more than I am looking for. The positives - Minneapolis and St. Paul are very livable, wonderful cities and for someone who likes the cold and has never been a big fan of cities, I have loved living in the Twin Cities prior to med school. The residents seemed well-supported, facilities were top notch, and the PD and other faculty I met are truly kind people.

New Mexico: The negatives - Albuquerque is, to me, an underrated city. Howevere, there is a lot of grit and lots of underserved folks here. While it is great that UNM can provide services for these people, it seemed like there weren't as many opportunities to help patients who don't fit in that category. Positives - the program has a spiritual vibe (the PD is wonderfully eccentric and carries this vibe very well) and seems to embrace and encourage residents to help patients from a holistic perspective. There are quite a few outpatient community programs and a lot of interesting electives including working in rural areas, with Native Americans, etc. Albuquerque is a cool, earthy city if you know where to look. Lots of yoga studios, great restaurants and coffee shops, a bike-in food truck right off the bike trails with affordable housing. Mountains and other natural gems are nearby too wth lots of trails and ski/bike/hike possibilities.

NYU/Bellevue anyone? It's not even on the list in the interview invites thread, which is weird. Considering the number of people interviewing in NYC, I can't believe no SDN members interviewed at NYU.

Posted these in the Southwest thread. Apologies for the format, I think a lot of the objective information provided above isn't super helpful so I don't include it, this is more off the top stuff, but I hope it helps somebody. I was asked to provide feedback about my non SW programs, I'll do this soon.

UT Houston - HCPC is large and there seem to be research opportunities aplenty at this program which seems to have a biological focus. The program leadership is currently in a transition phase but I think that things will overall be okay, everyone seems pretty supportive. The non-HCPC rotations felt a little lacking to be honest, but I suppose coming from a program in the South with a large VA, county, and university hospital this is to be expected. I didn't get the feeling that these non-HCPC rotations were really valued by everyone, but they do have MD Anderson which is awesome for people interested in Psycho-Onc. Houston is a fun and diverse city, the weather is pretty good/swampy, and it's still affordable even though it's getting more popular. It's not a pretty city like Austin or Nashville but as my Uber driver said, "People come here to work hard" and I kind of appreciated the grit, it felt real. HCPC is not in the same league as WPIC when you consider comparing the two largest standalone psych facilities in the country, but if you liked the idea of that level of patient pathology and that volume/dataset at Pitt but weren't enamored with the city (which I liked, tbh)/the cold, you could consider UT Houston. Wasn't a big fan of some of the questions I got asked on interview day (don't ask me how I'm going to rank you).

UTSW - Very similar to Emory and BCM in terms of the volume, pathology, types of sites, program size, and therapy training. Brenner is warm and fuzzy and seems to be a good ally to the students, they're a friendly program overall that seems to, like Emory and BCM, draw a lot of bright people moving or returning to Texas after doing medical school elsewhere. C/L is an area they're addressing here because it used to be a rough service. The new Parkland is gorgeous. They have tons of electives and seem to have a pretty flexible schedule. Of Emory, BCM, and UTSW it has the best pay and the easiest call schedule. To me, it's a little too laid back but for people with families/starting families you get a program where you won't be held back in any way career-wise and is fairly cushy. Excellent therapy training. Residents seem to go kind of evenly into academic/PP/and fellowship after finishing and were easygoing and a lot of fun. Dallas is an OK city IMO. Don't have too many notes on this program because it was my first, sorry.

BCM - You get the 3 hospitals plus Menninger, which is as much a Disneyland of Psychiatry as WPIC but in a totally different way. There aren't many places left like this in the country, it's quite a unique experience. There's a strong psychodynamic tradition here and many of the residents cited this as a reason for choosing Baylor over other programs. They've also started a Research track, which makes sense given the abundance of resources in the Texas Medical Center. Some cool stuff being done in addictions research here. Facilities are older than UTSW or Emory but the diversity and pathology make up for it - probably the widest range of patient diversity outside of some NYC and LA programs (ethnically, socially, and economically). C/L here is weaker than UTSW or Emory because there is no dedicated fellowship, although the friendly and supportive PD/leadership (I interviewed with all of them) and residents assured me that because of their location they get all sorts of crazy consults. A recent alum also just graduated from the Brigham Psychosomatic fellowship for what that's worth. There's also Texas Childrens if you're interested in child psych and a state hospital rotation which will be useful for anybody interested in Forensics (Dr. Stolar the PD is also Forensics boarded). I was worried about the negative rep of this program from SDN so I asked about the call schedule and when it was presented on interview day it didn't seem that different from any other program (UTSW excepted), and I think it was lighter than Emory (rough PGY1) and definitely better than Duke where I wanted to give the residents a hug because they looked so beat. The Baylor program also recently lessened call responsibilities on one of the harder PGY 2 rotations (Methodist) and residents have been very receptive to the change. Pay isn't as good as UTSW but the city is a lot better for young adults. Residents go evenly into academic/PP/fellowship, and seem to be bright, fun, and enjoy each others company.

UT Austin - Man, I was excited about this place. I really was. I love Austin! But I totally disagree with proclamaitions of it being a top program. Not even close. It is still very much a community program. Austin is smaller than these other cities, and unlike Vandy which has a big catch area, there are other places to go in Texas, so I don't know if you'll get the volume, diversity, or psychopathology you would in other programs. The new faculty hires have very impressive pedigrees - clearly people want to move here and they have the money to make some nice acquisitions. The new hospital should also be quite nice. But there weren't enough old-hat attendings there for my liking, you know, the ones with serious experience. There was a lot of promise and buzzwords about the future, felt like I was in an episode of Silicon Valley. I don't care to hear about the Cardiac Cath lab's location in your new hospital or your medschool's "innovative" curriculum that's about 8 years behind the curve. Until this stuff happens, it's just words. They want to be a tier-1 institute in 10 years. If it happens, I'll be the first one to applaud, until then, it still feels like a community program. There's nothing wrong with this on face value, but that's not how it's sold. They pitch it as the opportunity to get in on the ground level of something big and make your mark - but I think you can do that anywhere if you're motivated. They talk about their Silicon Valley ties. The truth is, most things in SV don't turn into Twitter or Uber. They fizzle out with a whimper. Medicine needs to modernize in several ways but there's also a reason we do things the way we do, it was kind of cringe-inducing to hear experienced leaders ignore all of this in the face of buzz-y copy. Wasn't impressed by the residents either, compared to these other programs. I want this program to be good, I really do - because I'd love to work here in 10 years, but right now it's not a place I want to gamble my training on. And yeah I realize this program has been in place for a very long time, but that's just not how they're pitching it anymore, and so that's not what I felt or feel comfortable going on. Also, although TXPhysician said UTSW is supporting the program, this does not at all appear to be the case. They are a UT and the primary affiliate of UT-Austin and hope to be the flagship UT medical center in some time, but that is going to be a difficult mantle to steal from UTSW.

Emory - I feel like I'm repeating myself after UTSW and BCM. The key differences between the 3, aside from location, are that Emory has the Geri facility and the new "brain building" (I forget the real name). Big city with lots of patients and great pathology. They seem to have a lot of $$$. Residents were bright, I only met one PGY1 because apparently most of them are working quite hard and tired from their schedule (It's Grady - like Parkland and Ben Taub I expect the off-service months to be rigorous but also pretty incredible and educational. As a downside, I beliiiiieve this is the one southern program where you spend all 4 IM months doing inpatient, both BCM and UTSW let you do some outpatient, some electives/consults/palli) and for some people the idea that Psych residents will be doing med-clears in the ER is a negative (I like it). PD is pretty friendly, she's also C/L boarded and actively involved at APM. You can do med-psych rotations! A number of people come here because of an interest in Forensics. Another big, fun, affordable (relatively speaking) city with great weather. The residents didn't seem as warm or close knit as UTSW or BCM but it may have just been my interview day. Therapy was not really mentioned at all on interview day but apparently they have a psychotherapy track, not as important as at UTSW or BCM. If you want to do counseling for uni students they only let 2 residents a year do this, which was a small negative for me. All in all, a good program in a cool city.

Vandy - okay this is getting long. The small size of Nashville compared to the above 3 cities is made up for by the catchment area. Vandy has a standalone Psych hospital, 88ish beds! This is great because you'll get a unique training experience here in addition to their VA and university hospital. I really loved Nashville, it's a place I want to live in. I got the vibe that if you like the county feel of Grady et al. you won't get that sort of patient here, to be honest. They do this weird thing on interview day where they make it a point to orient you to their horrible EMR. The APD Dr. Fleisch is such an awesome woman and she has built a great community psych program from the ground-up in 3 years so she'll be a great mentor to anybody interested in program/business development or public psychiatry, I hope I get to work with her someday. The PD seems quite opinionated and dominated our conversation in a way that bothered me. He also seems to set the tone for the "evidence based therapy" focus (read: he went off on psychodynamic theory during our interview) at the program, which is a shame because they're all useful. I thought maybe this was just a thing they said until the lunchtime psychiatric case formulation in which the resident gave a very compelling psychodynamic (as well as social and biological) formulation for a patient and the (iirc) Chair pointed out to him that that's just one of many perspectives. PGY2 call schedule may have been a little rough IIRC. The residents seem to have fun and go out, they're also very diverse (like Emory and all of the Texas programs I went to) which appealed to me as a minority.

Duke - Durham is alright. It's better than when I was last here but still... you need Raleigh and Chapel Hill to have enough stuff to call this a fun place to live. Doesn't come close to the cities above in my opinion, but the weather is phenomenal in NC, the cost of living is great, there are nice beaches, forests, mountains, and just lots to do in this state which appeals to me. I liked the PD a lot, we had a great conversation and her being IM/Psych we talked a lot about the great C/L training here. This was another program where I tried to get to the truth behind a negative SDN reputation. Sadface. Not mine, okay well I too felt kinda sad after coming here but the residents just seem beat. The residents have a really high patient cap on inpatient (10? where most places were 6) and that plus a rough call schedule leads to them openly admitting the first two years are rough. They tell you in the AM intro that the program is front-loaded... every psych program is frontloaded, this is like driving a semi backwards through traffic. Psych residents are among the perkiest that you come across so it was just jarring. I think you get fine training here, I really don't remember a whole lot because it was cold and after seeing the residents I kinda checked out and knew I didn't want to come here.

Does anyone have any thoughts or insight into the program at Kaweah Delta?

This is one of only two programs at which I interviewed that I am considering not ranking at all. I mainly interviewed at Midwestern programs so I suppose this could just be a regional difference (though I don't think so) but I didn't see much enthusiasm here. Looking back at my notes from the interview, I wrote things like "It's okay, I guess," quite a bit. In addition to concerns about workload and the town being pretty uninspiring, you have to travel to Bakersfield (the true armpit of California) for inpatient child psych.

Some considerations as you read these:
Regional crowds are to be expected in residency, as people really start putting more value on life and not just education, you may have parents to care for or a spouse's job or child-rearing to consider. People frequently go to where they grew up or where they want to live, often in spite of the program's repute. Nothing wrong with that. I saw this everywhere, from "top programs" to places more middle of the road. If you're smart and motivated, you'll succeed anywhere.

"Top programs" are really good at marketing themselves. That'll draw applicants with higher step scores or more research and thus incrementally raise their repute. They talk about an abundance of resources and everything you can do while in residency. Remember that your first 2 years of residency will be quite busy. You may only be there for a 3rd if you fast track. So realistically you have 1-2 years to take advantage of those resources. Ask the residents what are the cool/interesting things they've done. What surprised me is that when comparing a "top program" to others is a similar (not identical) proportion of residents did some really interesting things and fully maximized their resources. The rest were normal residents, which is totally respectable. This is just to repeat the above point, if you're smart and motivated, you'll succeed anywhere. Go where you'll be happiest for 4 years and where when you look back in 10-20 you won't regret choosing that experience over 4 years elsewhere (maybe at a program where you could spend more time with your kids, or be closer to your friends/family, if those things are important to you).

Salary is primarily affected by: 1) Where you work (urban v rural and what part of the US), 2) How much you work, 3) Your contract, and 4) Academics v PP. Going to Cornell vs Alabama won't necessarily earn you any more money - you may lose some during residency actually. I do think that having a Cornell or Harvard or UCLA diploma may open more interview doors for you in saturated markets, but that's about it (and most of the country is in a Psychiatrist deficit at the moment, even many big cities). So IMO the "top tier" names are great for people who want to do serious research or have big academic careers, and hey if you want to live in NYC why not train at NYPH? You'll have more big names training you at certain places but you have to make a decision as an individual on how much that matters to you, how much you think it really makes a difference in your competency, and what else you value in life. It's also, of course, an ego thing. It feels good, and that's okay too. You can see that I mostly interviewed at big Uni places, for reasons that are a little bit of everything, but as I make my rank list I have to weigh those out against practical considerations.

WPIC
- If I had no regional alliances and could tolerate the cold, this may be my favorite program. Without a doubt it was my favorite pre-interview dinner. It is a large program, no doubt, but in spite of this the residents all seemed to know each other quite well, interacted between classes, and felt that they were still given individualized attention by the program leadership. On that note, Dr. Travis is a gem. He's funny, honest, and driven. If there's something you want to do that seems a little out there or that just feels like a pipe-dream to you, he will help you fulfill it. Trust me, I have some pretty specific interests and goals and we discussed these frankly, he offered to make connections for me that didn't ring hollow, and for the first time I actually felt like these dreams had a chance of becoming real for me. I think somebody earlier wrote that this place feels like Disneyland, or something to that effect. I wholeheartedly agree. As Kevin Garnett would say, anything is possible [at WPIC]. You won't have multiple training sites, your patients will be fairly socioeconomically and ethnically homogenous (kinda like Dallas but more Polish and much poorer), but the psychopathology will be rich and varied - it's your call as to what matters more to you. I think for future researchers, hardcore academics, or anybody that wants a stellar training experience you would be well served here. Downsides, in addition to the above, include the lack of a VA and per residents, weaker therapy training. The therapy training is there, but if you want the type of psychodynamic training found at other institutions, one resident told me you need to seek it out (join the institute, put in more hours). As Dr. Travis put it, they have the option of doing less, and some residents choose to, but the patient demand is there if you want to do more. Specifically, there's a TON of student mental health stuff you can do and a lot of this is very dynamically oriented. Their C/L fellowship director is a recent graduate of BWH's fellowship and has big ideas. Generally, this seems to be a place for big ideas and you'll meet people who've actually pursued them and can give you great advice throughout your career. Their alumni network is huge and this can be a good bonus. You'll find WPIC people everywhere you go.

As for Pittsburgh - I liked the city a whole lot more than I expected to. It's gritty, it feels real and honest, and the number of universities in the UPMC area also gives it a college town kinda feel, with an undercurrent of hipsterness that's starting to bubble up. Zagat somehow rated this a #1 food city last year, I don't buy it but there you go. It's cold, dark, and cold for 6-8 months out of the year, the roads suck, and it snows a lot. In some ways your social activities are more limited compared to NYC/Chicago but there's the great, great outdoors to explore here and the residents seem to be quite active in doing trips/hikes together. Wow, I wrote a lot about this program. I really liked it, but it's not the right location for me and it's not coming at the right time in my life.

Longwood - a lot has already been written so I don't want to drone on especially when the program is splitting next year. This is/was a solid program. The residents are surprisingly friendly and fun for program of this caliber. Boston's alright as far as cities go. It's Harvard so you have a great B school, Law school, and other residencies with which to interact, learn from, and collaborate. The Brigham chair Silbersweig is awesome, I really appreciated that he took time to meet with me individually and knew my application well. He wrote a great piece in the Washington Post in December 2015 about the need for liberal arts education which I highly recommend people read. The program directors are friendly, I really only interacted with Dr. Boland who has been responsive through emails and seems like a good ally. There's an optional VA PTSD rotation you can do but they don't have a VA as a primary training site. You'll still see tons of addictions, PTSD, etc (for better or for worse) at BWH/BIDMC though. Therapy training here seems truly excellent. Every fellowship imaginable, if I recall correctly. I focused on C/L, and this place is like the gold standard for it. You don't need a C/L fellowship to work in C/L, and if this is your attitude why not train at BWH over your 4 years and rack up the experience you need? That's what the outgoing chief is doing. This program, like most programs, seems to draw a mostly regional crowd, with some folks from Texas and the West Coast. If I don't seem as warm on this as WPIC it's probably because I was more jaded at this point and it was a lot colder when I interviewed here. Interesting population which will be a mix of students, educated adults, a lot of people addicted to heroin/opioids, vets, generally quite diverse but not in an obvious way like you'd think of NYC, Chicago, LA, or Houston.

UCSF - San Francisco! Beautiful weather, gorgeous homes, horrible public transit, absurd cost of living, great food and better views. If you want to live in California, why not do it for 4 years at a program that can open doors for you to any sort of career you dream for yourself? I thought the PD was friendly and incredibly driven and that the program structure was pretty ideal. It's not going to be easy, but you will rotate through SFGH, the SFVA, and Langley Porter so you get 3 very different training experiences. They're very big on integrated care, like Pitt, and it's cool to see a place that doesn't just give lip-service to these big ideas. You get the impression these residents work hard and have a good time also. I didn't get to interact as much with the residents here because I missed the dinner but they didn't seem as close knit as at Longwood or Pitt, a classmate who interviewed on a different day concurred. They seemed a little more worried about cost of living than they let on, and some are deferring their loans for a few years. You can begin moonlighting in PGY2 and the internal rate is a very generous $125/hr so if you want you can use this to supplement your income. Here's the thing though, if you're coming to live in SF and take advantage of all the city has to offer, do you want to spend your precious free time moonlighting to be able to cover your loans? Of the UC's this supposedly has the best therapy training and I got the sense they're very proud of this aspect of their residency. Don't really have a cross thing to say about the program or the city, both are great, it's just the cost of living. Oh, if you like seasons, this isn't the right place for you as it's perfect spring layering weather year-round. As a bonus, the GME-wide Pathways to Discovery program is very unique (only Duke had something similar in my travels) and for people who are builders and thinkers, this is an incredible opportunity to get some additional educational and practical training toward your dream career. Loved the diversity of patients you see here. And they truly embrace it at SFGH with the inpatient teams broken up roughly by patient type.

Cancelled ints to Cornell, Penn, Michigan, and MUSC because I got cold and/or tired. Didn't get invites to MGH, UCLA, Stanford, UW, or Columbia.

Reactions: 5 users