General Admissions & OTCAS 2015-2016 stats/interview/rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! How long did you make your supplemental essay for USciences? Struggling over here... It said "concise" so I'm guessing a little on the shorter side? Thank you!
One page.

Members don't see this ad.

It's somewhere on their website. I calculated that it would be $150k.

Congrats on your acceptance, I'm anxiously awaiting to hear from them! I'm expecting to be deferred to regular admission so as long as I don't get a rejection I'm happy. Ahh, so nervous, I loved the school! If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

Thanks!! I hope you get some good news soon. I loved the school, too — they sure have an impressive program. Here are my stats:

University: University of Missouri
Major: Journalism
Overall GPA: 3.44
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Verbal — 161, Quantitative — 152, Analytical Writing — 4.5

Extra-Curric: I actually graduated in December 2009 and since then have been working in fundraising for nonprofits. In college I studied abroad and interned with Greenpeace Argentina, also interned with the Missouri State House of Representatives and an international magazine, reported for the local newspaper and mentored middle-schoolers. I helped my dad sell his dental practice and have some healthcare experience working there.
Volunteer: I've been teaching ESL for a few years and volunteering on a suicide and crisis hotline. I'm at about 500 hours there. ESL probably 150 hours or so? I also volunteer at a therapeutic riding center but have only been there since April.
Observations: 25 with a pediatric home healthcare OT, 12 hippotherapy, 10 at an upper extremity injury clinic, 26 rehab, 8 acute care, 10 skilled nursing
Letters of Reference: work supervisor/VP of my company, volunteer supervisor at the crisis hotline, physics professor, rehab OT I shadowed

Applying: Texas Woman's University, University of Texas Medical Branch, University of St. Augustine, Belmont, Colorado State, University of Southern California, Massachusetts General Hospital Health Sciences Institute, University of New England, Rush University
Acceptances: Belmont (11/23)
Rejections: N/A, yet
Interviews: Belmont (11/13), University of New England (12/14), University of St. Augustine (12/4), Rush University (12/21)

For me I finished in just a few hours. Wasn't long at all only about a half of page.
Once you sent your supplemental essay did the format completely change. Haha sounds weird but I typed it out on Word then copy/pasted it to the Usciences it 'bunched up' and turned into one big paragraph?

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you sent your supplemental essay did the format completely change. Haha sounds weird but I typed it out on Word then copy/pasted it to the Usciences it 'bunched up' and turned into one big paragraph?
This happened to me! I kept trying to fix it but in the end just submitted with one big paragraph. I think it just automatically gets rid of any formatting.

This happened to me! I kept trying to fix it but in the end just submitted with one big paragraph. I think it just automatically gets rid of any formatting.
Okay, well at least I know it wasn't just me!

I have a question about Belmont's admission. I was notified that I was put on the "waitlist" as an "alternate" but that my application was very strong. If I made the requirements for an early interview, and my application was "strong," I am confused as to how I would not just be deferred to the next round of applicants. It seems like those who are wait listed from early admission are put at a disadvantage because every other applicant is considered before us. Does anyone understand this process and can help explain this to me? How can their be a wait list if the class has not been filled?

I have a question about Belmont's admission. I was notified that I was put on the "waitlist" as an "alternate" but that my application was very strong. If I made the requirements for an early interview, and my application was "strong," I am confused as to how I would not just be deferred to the next round of applicants. It seems like those who are wait listed from early admission are put at a disadvantage because every other applicant is considered before us. Does anyone understand this process and can help explain this to me? How can their be a wait list if the class has not been filled?

I think they only fill up to half of their class with individuals from early admissions. I think its better to be on the wait list than to be put in the pool with everyone else because you have a better chance of getting in off of the wait list than being in a pool of a few hundred people. Not everyone who got an acceptance will attend Belmont, especially because of the price. Just cross your fingers and keep waiting!

Just started hearing back from some programs in the last week! Got into Washington U and U of Sciences, and have an interview set up at Thomas Jefferson in December. Anyone have any advice on how to best prepare for a group interview?

@tre923 congrats on wash u! I was waitlisted there. Do you mind sharing your stats? As far as group interviews, i had one at rush last friday. Id say you definitely need to speak up, dont be the quiet one. But dont be rude and talk over people either. I think they are looking for people who can work well with others in a group setting.

Last edited:
University: Montclair State University
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.35
Last 60: 3.7
Prereq GPA: 3.7-4.0 depending on school
GRE: V:151, Q:151, 4.0 W

Observation: 165 hours in 3 settings (peds, geriatrics, inpatient/outpatient hospital)
Volunteer: Over 1500 hours with church

Applied: Misericordia U, University of New England, Philadelphia U, Salus U, Sacred Heart U, and University of the Sciences.

Interviews (so far): Misericordia (11/7) and UNE (11/13)

Acceptances: Misericordia! (11/13, dated 11/10)

Rejections:

ACCEPTANCE UPDATE!!

I got accepted to the University of New England today, which is my #1 school so I'm 90% sure I'm going there. Good luck to everyone else!! :D

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just started hearing back from some programs in the last week! Got into Washington U and U of Sciences, and have an interview set up at Thomas Jefferson in December. Anyone have any advice on how to best prepare for a group interview?
I did the Jefferson group interview last year. Make sure you make your voice heard but don't dominate the conversation. Don't be afraid to brag a little but don't seem too cocky. And make sure you listen to other people's answers too !

Reactions: 1 user
University: UCSD
Major: General Biology (B.S.) and Psychology (B.A.)
Overall GPA: 3.31 (OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.8-3.9 (depending on school)
GRE: V: 165 Q: 159 A: 5

Observation: 250+ hours Outpatient Peds Clinic, 50+ hours Outpatient & Inpatient Stroke Clinic, ~10 hours Hand Therapy

Applied: CSU Dominguez Hills, SJSU, Samuel Merritt University, University of St. Augustine (San Marcos), University of New England, University of Wisconsin - Madison, MGH IHP, Boston University, University of Washington, University of Puget Sound

Interviews: University of New England (11/13), Samuel Merritt University (11/05), MGH IHP (02/05), Boston University (02/06)

Rejections: CSU Dominguez Hills, Samuel Merritt University

Waitlist: Boston University

Acceptances: University of New England

Last edited:
ACCEPTANCE UPDATE!!

I got accepted to the University of New England today, which is my #1 school so I'm 90% sure I'm going there. Good luck to everyone else!! :D

Congrats!!! Me too! :D I'm still going to wait to hear back from other schools, but I'll be super happy to go there. I was one of the girls that was from California (green group)

ACCEPTANCE UPDATE!!

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm interviewing with UNE 12/14 — could you share a little about what the process is like? Also, why is it your #1 school? Just curious. I was accepted to another school and tentatively plan to attend, but I'm keeping the interview because it sounds like a great program, too. Thanks!

Congrats!!! Me too! :D I'm still going to wait to hear back from other schools, but I'll be super happy to go there. I was one of the girls that was from California (green group)
I was in the orange group! YAY for UNE!!

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm interviewing with UNE 12/14 — could you share a little about what the process is like? Also, why is it your #1 school? Just curious. I was accepted to another school and tentatively plan to attend, but I'm keeping the interview because it sounds like a great program, too. Thanks!
Hi! It was a very relaxed (but long) interview day. They split you into four groups and then you rotate between tour, essay, interviews and group activity. They said not to give more specific details than that :) It's my #1 because it's my favorite program/curriculum of all the other schools I applied to. It's only two years and you start your level II fieldwork after only a year. Your level I fieldwork takes place at the same time you're learning about that age. So you'll be working with older adults while learning about their interventions etc. And Portland is said to be one of the best cities for young people, so it makes the move from NJ worth it, for me. Message me if you want to talk more! :D

University: Miami University (OH)
Major: Kinesiology (B.S)
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.8
GRE: 156 V, 163 Q, 4.5 Writing

Extra-Curric: Varsity Athlete, Member of Autism Speaks and Best Buddies, Lifeguard/Swim Instructor, Research Experience (study on inflammation and aging, mostly do data collection/entry), Member of Dean's Student Advisory Council for my College

Observations: 150 total hours;
60 hours Pediatrics (50 at a school for students with emotional & intellectual disabilities, 10 outpatient at Cincinnati Children's Hospital), 30 in Hand Therapy, 60 Geriatrics (nursing home/rehabilitation center),

Volunteer: YL Capernaum (<500 hours between weekly meetings/activities and camp), foster of a Service Dog in Training, media & technology internship for a pediatric cancer non-profit over winter term, part of worship team at my church, partner for an art program for people w dementia

Only have applied to Belmont!
(I have full scholarship for 4 years of undergrad, but have finished my program in 3 years; if I don't get in this round, the plan is to do another year of undergrad, pick up a psych major or disability studies minor, and reapply next fall)

UPDATE: INTERVIEWING AT BELMONT 1/29!!!

Last edited:
Major: Biology and Psychology
GPA: 3.5
GRE: V-154 Q-151 W-4.0

Applied: MUSC, Wash U, St. Catherine's, USC, SJSU, KU, Chatham, Salus, Sacred Heart, Belmont, Touro Nevada
Interviews: Belmont (11/13), Touro Nevada (11/19), Chatham (11/21), Salus (12/10), Sacred Heart (1//14)
Acceptances: Belmont!!! (11/25)
Waitlist:
Rejections:
Wash U (11/13) :sorry:
Hi! I have my interview at Belmont in January, I was just curious what the interview process was like?

University: VCU
Major: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.68
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: V-157, Quant.- 148, Writing- 4

Observation Hours: Over 200 with a pediatric OT, and a Hand therapist

Applied: VCU, MUSC, Belmont, TTUHSC, Wash. U, U. Wash, Central Arkansas, MGH, UAB, Creighton, Pittsburgh, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

Acceptances: TTUHSC (12/10)

Rejections: MUSC (2/24)

Interviews: TTUHSC (12/05), Belmont (01/29), MGH (02/5), UAB (turned down)

Waitlisted: Wash U. at Saint Louis, Pittsburgh, Creighton, Belmont, MGH

Will update as I get more!

Last edited:
These forums are SO helpful and I wanted to post my own info since I'm a little different - my undergrad is from an art school...

University: Massachusetts College of Art and Design - graduated in 2010
Major: 3D Fine Arts: Sculpture
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.95
GRE: didn't take it :)

OT Observation Hours: 168 hours in 2 different pediatric settings
Volunteer Hours: 24o hours working in an orphanage in Ghana

Applied: University of New England (UNE)

Acceptances: University of New England!!!!!:soexcited:

Waitlisted: UNE :sorry:

Rejections: N/A

Interviews: UNE 10/30

Good Luck everyone!

ANOTHER ACCEPTANCE UPDATE FOR UNE!!! I was originally waitlisted but then got taken off just 2 weeks later, Congrats to the other UNE Acceptances!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I have my interview at Belmont in January, I was just curious what the interview process was like?

The interview process is nothing to stress about. You have an info session in the beginning and then you're split into groups and go on a tour, talk with current students, have a quick 5 question interview with one faculty member (really basic questions), complete a writing sample and a closing session for questions and what not. Good luck!

Major: kinesiology/ Bio minor
Overall GPA: OTCAS 3.52
Pre-Req GPA: didn't calculate but had a few B's
GRE: Too embarrassing to mention

Acceptances: MWU-Il, Usciences-w/ scholarship

Waitlist: U of Toledo (was pretty bummed on this one)

Rejections:

Interviews: MWU-AZ campus; Creighton; Brenau; UTMB
more interviews still rolling in. Feeling blessed!

Reactions: 1 users
If you don't mind me asking, how long did Usciences give you to put down a deposit?

If you don't mind me asking, how long did Usciences give you to put down a deposit?
I got my official letter in email dated 3 Dec and I have to give deposit of 500.00 by 4 Jan. Also for those wondering prereqs have to completed by the start of fall 16 semester according to my acceptance letter.

I did the Jefferson group interview last year. Make sure you make your voice heard but don't dominate the conversation. Don't be afraid to brag a little but don't seem too cocky. And make sure you listen to other people's answers too !
Thanks, did you decide to apply again this year?

Major: Biology and Psychology
GPA: 3.5
GRE: V-154 Q-151 W-4.0

Applied: MUSC, Wash U, St. Catherine's, USC, SJSU, KU, Chatham, Salus, Sacred Heart, Belmont, Touro Nevada
Interviews: Belmont (11/13), Touro Nevada (11/19), Chatham (11/21), Salus (12/10), Sacred Heart (1//14)
Acceptances: Belmont (11/25), Chatham (12/4)
Waitlist:
Rejections:
Wash U (11/13) :sorry:
Great job on your acceptance to Chatham! I thought they weren't going to send out acceptances until December 7th!! I was at the interview on 11/21 and so nervous because this is my third year applying to OT school. My GRE scores are not as high as yours, so i'm definitely nervous!!

Great job on your acceptance to Chatham! I thought they weren't going to send out acceptances until December 7th!! I was at the interview on 11/21 and so nervous because this is my third year applying to OT school. My GRE scores are not as high as yours, so i'm definitely nervous!!

I was really surprised that I heard back earlier than the 7th as well! But they said they would send them out in waves, so you definitely have a chance! I honestly think that my interview was a big part of my acceptance. I thought I made a pretty good impression, it was also my third interview so I had a bit of practice! Where else are you applying? Good luck this time around!

I was really surprised that I heard back earlier than the 7th as well! But they said they would send them out in waves, so you definitely have a chance! I honestly think that my interview was a big part of my acceptance. I thought I made a pretty good impression, it was also my third interview so I had a bit of practice! Where else are you applying? Good luck this time around!

That's great that they send them out in waves lol I'm a nervous wreck this time around. I think I did really well for my interview too, the girl I was with actually compliment me and my answers haha. I graduated from Stockton college in May 2014, this time around I'm applying to Stockton, UPitt, Salus, Seton Hall, JCHS, Chatham, Alvernia, Temple and possibly NYU depending on what I hear back by the end of the month. So far I had my Chatham interview and I was wait listed for Temple.

Overall GPA: 3.45
Prerequisite GPA: 3.6

200 shadowing hours in hand therapy, nursing home, school system, cancer center, and rehab center

Gre: 150 Q 150 V 4.5 AW

Tons of leadership/ volunteer/ extracurricular activities

Applied: Boston University, Shenandoah university, Temple University, James Madison University, Columbia University

Interviews: Boston University

Acceptances: Shenandoah university, temple university

Just adding my info...

Degree: BS Chemistry
Overall gpa: 3.30
Prerequisite gpa: depends on the program, about 3.75

OT observations: 50 hours peds sensory integration, 6 hours peds school-based, 10 hours subacute rehab, 20 hours hand therapy

Other activities: former volunteer EMT and undergraduate research assistant

Applied: Downstate, LIU, Stony Brook, York, and Touro Bay Shore

Interviews: Stony Brook (1/22), LIU (2/7, but cancelled b/c attending SBU), Touro Bay Shore (invited mid April, but cancelled b/c attending SBU)

Acceptances: Stony Brook (1/26), Suffolk Community College COTA program (early March)

Attending: Stony Brook

Last edited:
Question for those who applied/visited/interviewed etc at Belmont in Nashville...I noticed on Belmont's website that they are a Christian school and have some spiritual involvement. Did anyone find that their OTD program was religious or spiritual in any way?

I would prefer to attend a program that does not incorporate these aspects and is merely OT-focused, but am very interested in Belmont.

I received an acceptance to Midwestern (Glendale campus) on the 12th! Anyone else heard back from them?

When did you apply to Midwestern? I applied to the Downer's Grove campus last week & I know that there's going to be even more of a delay with it being a high-volume application period... just trying to gauge when I could possibly get some sort of response

Question for those who applied/visited/interviewed etc at Belmont in Nashville...I noticed on Belmont's website that they are a Christian school and have some spiritual involvement. Did anyone find that their OTD program was religious or spiritual in any way?

I would prefer to attend a program that does not incorporate these aspects and is merely OT-focused, but am very interested in Belmont.

From what I understand the undergrads have to attend church every week, but there is no religious aspect to the OT program

Someone in my interview group asked the current students about that and they said that there is definitely no religious focus within the curriculum. Apparently there was one small "prayer circle" at the beginning of the semester but nothing beyond that!

Overall GPA: 3.45
Prerequisite GPA: 3.6

200 shadowing hours in hand therapy, nursing home, school system, cancer center, and rehab center

Gre: 150 Q 150 V 4.5 AW

Tons of leadership/ volunteer/ extracurricular activities

Applied: Boston University, Shenandoah university, Temple University, James Madison University, Columbia University

Interviews: Boston University

Acceptances: Shenandoah university, temple university
When did you get the email saying they received all of your application materials?

University: Northwestern University
Pre-Reqs: College of DuPage, Harper College, Northeastern Illinois, Governors State
Major: B.S.–Industrial Engineering (1991)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.98
Overall GPA: 3.00
GRE: V:610, Q:620, AW:4.5

OT volunteer/observation: Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) - Neuro/Stroke, Spinal Cord Injury, Patient Experience Pilot Program (1 yr.+); pre-school/primary school OT (7 mo.); SNF; inpatient – Westlake Hospital, Melrose Park, IL
Work: Athletico – Rehab Aide/Oak Brook, IL (1.5 years); RIC – Rehab Aide: Neuro/Stroke, General Orthotic rehab (4 mo.+); primary school substitute teacher (30 total days); IT/telecommunications – various companies (20 yrs.)
Volunteer: admin. council chair for church, computer literacy instructor, church liaison for PADS (overnight housing & meals for the homeless), various volunteer groups at work

Applied: UIC, Rush, Midwestern-IL, Carroll, Concordia, Governors State, Elmhurst College (undergoing accred.)
Interviews: Governors State, Elmhurst (declined)
Acceptances: Governors State
Rejections: UIC

Attending: Governors State

I received my acceptance to Boston University's OTD program today! Anyone else?? I'm super excited :)

Just recieved my acceptance letter to the University of Pittsburgh!!!!
Congratulations!! Pitt is still sending out decisions today? I guess I have reason to compulsively check my email today after all. :p