2015 MCAT Verbal Changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brood910

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Old
  • Verbal Reasoning (VR): 40 Questions, 60 minutes
New
  • Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills: 53 questions, 90 minute

Do you guys think this means each passage will be more challenging + longer? Why did they give 30 extra minutes for 13 more questions?

Members don't see this ad.

When we think of challenging VR we usually think of questions that go back and forth between two answers in our heads, not necessarily some question that requires a massive train of thought to arrive at an answer, my GUESS is they made the passages longer and also listened to some peoples concerns of its previous length. More questions means better scaling too!

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll have more time-per-question. Sounds good until you remember that everyone will have more time-per-question. Meaning the scoring scale is going to be pretty unforgiving. And finally; (3) The new CARS section will have no natural science based passages. It's 50% humanities, 50% social science.

I think it's still a good news for ESL students like me who cant read fast.
Regardless of the "unforgiving" scale, we will at least have a better chance to finish it all in time.

50% humanities, 50% social science.. without natural science.. That's worse tho..

Oh well. I hope I get in during this cycle so I dont have to worry abt this.

Regardless of the "unforgiving" scale, we will at least have a better chance to finish it all in time.

50% humanities, 50% social science.. without natural science.. That's worse tho..

why the heck do you even care about this, you'll get in this cycle, your score is fine!

Even if you don't get in this cycle, your 2014 MCAT is good for 3 years for most med schools.