2016 - Time For The Final Shot (Application)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ceke2002

Purveyor of Strange
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I mentioned this in another thread, but at the risk of jinxing myself I figured I might as well make it official.
I will (hopefully) be applying to a 12 month Foundations Study course next year, which, if I pass with an acceptable grade, will allow me direct entry into Medicine as an undergraduate degree.

Based on past standardised testing I do have a Grade Point Average of around 3.9, which I'm sure I can raise with a little hard work, so I don't think I have too many worries getting in on an academic basis (although obviously I then have to apply myself fully to ensure I receive an acceptable grade to allow me to pass into Medicine after sitting the required tests and interview). My only real concern, which is something I will be looking into over the next few months, before intake for 2016 begins, is the financial side of things. The course is expensive, so I need to make sure it's covered by HECS (Higher Education Contribution Scheme) or a similar program, and also whether or not I am eligible to access grants through the University itself to offset other costs.

I've broached the subject with my husband, and he is supportive, although he does want to see me undertake this with the guidance of my Psychiatrist. Obviously I will be discussing the plan with my Psychiatrist as well, just to make sure I'm a) mentally ready to return to full time study and b) am able to cope with any demands or stress put upon me, without risk of triggering any sort of depressive psychotic episodes, or whatever else.

So fingers crossed 2016 Foundations Study course, then 2017 first year Med student. :xf:

I'll be able to answer the questions then, rather than just ask them all the time. :laugh:

Wish me luck? And feel free to throw in any advice or observations that might help if you wish (please and thank you) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Keep studying hard!

I plan to! :D I'm going to ask my Psychiatrist for some recommended reading, seeing as he is one of the senior lecturers at the Uni I will (hopefully) be attending. I figure it can't hurt to get a bit of a head start. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
From a fellow Aussie, Best of luck Ceke! Will you have to sit the UMAT (Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test) in 2016? I haven't taken the test, but it looks like it has a few Raven's progressive matrices style questions as well as general critical thinking and some empathy questions. I don't think it requires any set knowledge base unlike the MCAT and GAMSAT (Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test). Do you get to choose your units for the foundation course? I heard that some of those courses are fee-free, but I don't know if that's the case at your institution. I hope you can at least get Hecs-Help. I look forward to hearing how it all goes for you.

It took me two attempts for graduate entry. The first time, my GAMSAT score was borderline acceptable and I was a milksop at interview, so I took a year off to work as a bartender in Japan. Second time, without any extra study, my GAMSAT was 10 points higher and I was a lot more confident at interview (now I can fix a mean cocktail, but I didn't get to show that off).

From a fellow Aussie, Best of luck Ceke! Will you have to sit the UMAT (Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test) in 2016? I haven't taken the test, but it looks like it has a few Raven's progressive matrices style questions as well as general critical thinking and some empathy questions. I don't think it requires any set knowledge base unlike the MCAT and GAMSAT (Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test). Do you get to choose your units for the foundation course? I heard that some of those courses are fee-free, but I don't know if that's the case at your institution. I hope you can at least get Hecs-Help. I look forward to hearing how it all goes for you.

It took me two attempts for graduate entry. The first time, my GAMSAT score was borderline acceptable and I was a milksop at interview, so I took a year off to work as a bartender in Japan. Second time, without any extra study, my GAMSAT was 10 points higher and I was a lot more confident at interview (now I can fix a mean cocktail, but I didn't get to show that off).

G'day mate, nice to meet you :D I'm not sure at this stage which tests I'll have to sit, and as far as I know the Foundations Study course is standardised to provide students more with overall skills such as reasoning and critical thinking, rather than concentrating on any sort of specific subject. I do need to contact an admissions officer though and find out if that's accurate, plus talk to an admissions counselor/officer with the Uni's School of Medicine to double check that the Foundation Course is still an acceptable alternate pathway into medicine. It's early days for me yet, and right now I'm getting over an ear, sinus and chest infection so my sum total of activity for the last week has been to lie around in my PJ's and drink cough medicine. :hungover:

*sigh* Okay, scrap that idea, unless someone has a spare 15 grand they can lend me. And I can't apply through any other alternate pathways schemes (mature age entry, adult SACE certificate etc), because regardless of whether I didn't even complete the first year, I've still previously enrolled at University (other courses will allow previous enrollment so long as 5+ years have elapsed, medicine at the University I was hoping to attend won't).

So I guess it's back to my original plan of doing this as a post graduate degree, unless I can somehow get special consideration for entry into the undergrad course.

Trying to sort through all this information, I be like this :bang:

Edited to add: And I've just spoken to the University admissions centre, and I can't get special consideration for Undergrad entry, under any circumstances. So the Undergrad option is out completely, meaning my last option is a Post Grad MD instead of an Undergrad MBBS *sigh*)

Last edited: