DO 2017-2018 3.1/507 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGainzzz

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

URM
cgpa 3.0 sgpa 3.1 507 mcat 127/125/127/128
16 science credits DIY 3.5
1st year MPH 3.7
500+shadowing( MD+DO)
Tutor
3 first author papers, 6 abstracts, 2 conference presentations
100+ patient contact not shadowing
coordinator for church food pantry 4+ years
too many ec to list.....

applying to most DO schools. Chances? advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a AA male

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a AA male
This is a scenario where you should also apply to certain MD schools. The GPA-MCAT grid shows that you have a greater than 60% chance for a MD admission with your stats. MD schools where you could receive an interview with your stats include:
All your state public schools
Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Tulane
Where is your state of residence? Of course you should also apply to all the DO schools you intend to apply to.

Reactions: 1 user
We only have Alpert. I was also told by a colleauge to submit early but I'm not sure what constitutes as early? Do you really think I have a chance at Georgetown? Ive been digging around the forums and see people with way better stats than me getting rejected thats why I was primarily going for DO.

Last edited:
Submitting early is June and all your secondaries in by August. There is a major shortage of AA males in medical schools so that is to your advantage. It does not mean that you will definitely receive a MD acceptance but if you apply to all the schools I listed you could receive several interviews. You are a very strong candidate for DO schools and should receive several interviews if you apply to most DO schools as you have indicated.

Reactions: 1 user
That sounds great. Ill definitely take a chance with the schools you indicated. Also, how would schools look at the MPH if at all? Theres a 4/7 upper div bio courses weaved into my first year that I took. All I need is one acceptance!

That sounds great. Ill definitely take a chance with the schools you indicated. Also, how would schools look at the MPH if at all? Theres a 4/7 upper div bio courses weaved into my first year that I took. All I need is one acceptance!
It may help you at some schools.

I'm new to SDN so please be kind.

African-American Female, 21 years old.
cGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 2.9 (Both with upward trends...first two years of college was a struggle.)
Undergrad in Psychology B.S with public health minor
MCAT: 499 (I know it's low, so I'm retaking it.)
Extracurricular include:
- Health care assistant at at Trauma 1 County Hospital for 2 years
- Nursing Home CNA for 2 years
- ED Scribe for 6 months
- Physiology TA for 1 year
- Founder and president of a Mental health student group for 2 years
- Research in a clinical lab for 1 year
- Qualitative research for another 1 year
- Coding behavior research for a summer
- Volunteering/Tutor at a Prison
- Shadowing monthly for 1.5 years with the same doc.
- Shadowing various physicians.
- Peer counselor
- Board member of student groups
- Study Aboard and studied the social determinants of health for 3 weeks in a third world country.
**there are more activities but here are the highlights.
You really need your own thread. This one is for the OP.