2017-2018 Quinnipiac University (Netter)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my acceptance as well. Hope it goes to one of you guys on the waitlist!
Do we have to send a letter/email to withdraw our acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

thoughts on professors? are they approachable,/friendly or intimidating af? any particularly good ones or particularly bad ones?

Our faculty are wonderful. Since they're hired to teach, they're all good at teaching in some way, though they have different styles so not every prof will mesh well with you on an educational level. People like or dislike different profs for different reasons, but if a lecturer is poorly received, the school takes that very seriously and will make changes for future years. I think Drs. Bona and Zeff are pretty universally loved for their ability to explain difficult things well and also for the sheer amount of knowledge they have about their subjects. I can't say there is any professor who's particularly bad; even if I dislike their teaching, I love having them as faculty and contributing members of the Netter community. Our profs donate to student charity drives, dress up for Halloween, and know your faces and your names before you even know who they are. They really care about us, and I love that.

Can you talk about how you studied? Did you attend lectures or watch from home? What resources (books, study guides, question banks) did you find most helpful? Thank you!

I was definitely a person who went to lecture, and to be honest I mostly used lecture material to study throughout first and second year. In first year, I supplemented with BRS Physiology and some other textbook-style resources, and in second year, I added on resources like Pathoma and Sketchy. Upperclassmen are happy to tell you what resources they used, but remember that different things work for different people. Some of my classmates studied mainly from lecture like I did, some used textbooks a lot, and some almost never went to lecture and used other resources as their mainstay. I will say though that Step 1 resources will not be useful to you in first year, since first year focuses on physiology and not pathology. Don't worry about them for at least a year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As apr 30 rolls around and decisions have to be made I have a few questions for any current students, thanks in advance for your responses!
-Can any M3s/M4s share their satisfaction with the various clinical sites? Particularly St. Vincent's? And also with the quality of experience during rotations?

- For those who do/did research: where did you do it and when? How supportive was the Netter faculty in helping you find a lab? Can your research projectt overlap with the required capstone project in the curriculum?

- As an outsider looking in, I see a lot of potential in Netter although it's a really new school and sense the faculty is very energized in helping the school grow. Would you agree with this sentiment?

- What do you perceive is the overall consensus with MeSH? Are you satisfied with it?

Thanks again, responses are really helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
As apr 30 rolls around and decisions have to be made I have a few questions for any current students, thanks in advance for your responses!
-Can any M3s/M4s share their satisfaction with the various clinical sites? Particularly St. Vincent's? And also with the quality of experience during rotations?

I’m particularly interested in this as well. How involved are medical students during their rotations? And how much work/responsibility are they given?

Had to make some super tough decisions but officially withdrew all my other acceptances to attend this fine institution! Can’t wait to start school and meet all of you guys ;)

Can any M3s/M4s share their satisfaction with the various clinical sites? Particularly St. Vincent's? And also with the quality of experience during rotations?

I’m particularly interested in this as well. How involved are medical students during their rotations? And how much work/responsibility are they given?

All of us M3s are new (we're in our first rotation) so can't speak much to all of the different clinical sites, but to be honest it's hard to give you a unified picture. The experience between sites is pretty subjective (one student might hate a site that another student loves), and it can also vary based on the attendings and residents you work with. Our clinical faculty and staff do work hard to ensure that the experience is as good as possible across the board. Two things are pretty universal from my experience and what I've heard from others: (1) we do get very involved and (2) we're known by attendings for being adaptable and very clinically competent. We see patients on our own, participate in procedures, write notes, give oral presentations, the whole thing. Because we work at multiple clinical sites, we're good at being flexible and jumping in quickly, which is an asset no matter what you're doing.

- For those who do/did research: where did you do it and when? How supportive was the Netter faculty in helping you find a lab? Can your research projectt overlap with the required capstone project in the curriculum?

- As an outsider looking in, I see a lot of potential in Netter although it's a really new school and sense the faculty is very energized in helping the school grow. Would you agree with this sentiment?

- What do you perceive is the overall consensus with MeSH? Are you satisfied with it?

1. Everyone does research by way of the capstone project, but a good portion do research outside of that. My classmates have done research at Yale, St. Vincent's, St. Francis, etc. Netter faculty are so supportive of pretty much anything we do, and they're happy to use their networks to help refer you to mentors/PIs to work with. And yes, your capstone and prior research can overlap.

2. Definitely. For being new, Netter feels quite well-established to me, and I think our faculty play a big role in that. We have a strong foundation and a community that is motivated to keep getting better.

3. Overall, I think people like MeSH and find it valuable to their development as a clinician. I know that MeSH was invaluable to me in being comfortable with the clinician role. Long before third year started, I was already very comfortable with walking into a room to face a new patient, taking a history, doing a physical exam, and formulating some sort of assessment. That's not the case for many new third year medical students at other schools. MeSH plays a big part in establishing that comfort level.

All of us M3s are new (we're in our first rotation) so can't speak much to all of the different clinical sites, but to be honest it's hard to give you a unified picture. The experience between sites is pretty subjective (one student might hate a site that another student loves), and it can also vary based on the attendings and residents you work with. Our clinical faculty and staff do work hard to ensure that the experience is as good as possible across the board. Two things are pretty universal from my experience and what I've heard from others: (1) we do get very involved and (2) we're known by attendings for being adaptable and very clinically competent. We see patients on our own, participate in procedures, write notes, give oral presentations, the whole thing. Because we work at multiple clinical sites, we're good at being flexible and jumping in quickly, which is an asset no matter what you're doing.

1. Everyone does research by way of the capstone project, but a good portion do research outside of that. My classmates have done research at Yale, St. Vincent's, St. Francis, etc. Netter faculty are so supportive of pretty much anything we do, and they're happy to use their networks to help refer you to mentors/PIs to work with. And yes, your capstone and prior research can overlap.

2. Definitely. For being new, Netter feels quite well-established to me, and I think our faculty play a big role in that. We have a strong foundation and a community that is motivated to keep getting better.

3. Overall, I think people like MeSH and find it valuable to their development as a clinician. I know that MeSH was invaluable to me in being comfortable with the clinician role. Long before third year started, I was already very comfortable with walking into a room to face a new patient, taking a history, doing a physical exam, and formulating some sort of assessment. That's not the case for many new third year medical students at other schools. MeSH plays a big part in establishing that comfort level.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. You've responded to me in previous posts and it is much appreciated.
Another question was how much dedicated step time you have? I read somewhere that it's integrated as a block in third year, which are about 6 weeks? Is that correct?

Lastly, are you and most that you know happy and satisfied with the education, student life, and support at Netter? I felt this was the case during the interview day but there is some bias since those who participate are generally enthusiastic about their school :)

Thanks so much!

It was a tough decision but I withdrew my acceptance from QU/Netter on Friday. I hope it goes to someone on the WL that really loved this school! Best of luck to all!

Withdrew my acceptance with a scholarship here so hopefully they will allocate both well! Wish the best to all.

Really liked this school, but withdrew my acceptance yesterday. $$ talks, and I had cheaper options at other schools I liked.

Anyone know if the WL has moved at all or if the class is still filled at the moment!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. You've responded to me in previous posts and it is much appreciated.
Another question was how much dedicated step time you have? I read somewhere that it's integrated as a block in third year, which are about 6 weeks? Is that correct?

Lastly, are you and most that you know happy and satisfied with the education, student life, and support at Netter? I felt this was the case during the interview day but there is some bias since those who participate are generally enthusiastic about their school :)

Thanks so much!

1. Everyone gets a block of 6 weeks during third year to either work on their capstone projects or study for Step 1 (as you might expect, most people choose to use the block for Step studying). If you don't use that block for Step 1, you study for and take Step 1 at the end of third year.

2. Yes, definitely. I think the majority of first and second years help out with interviews, lunches, and tours, and that in itself speaks to how many people like Netter enough to participate, haha. Of course, there are always improvements to make and things that could be better, but if you ask a student what words come to mind when they think of Netter, you'll almost always get words like "supportive," "collaborative," "welcoming," and so on.

Can any current students talk about the scholarship opportunities throughout the 4 years at Netter? The tuition and cost of living are a little daunting... Thanks in advance!

Any girls in the so cal (specifically LA area) matriculating to Netter and thinking about having roommates?

Why do you say that? Because being complete early august was late?

Probably because they didn’t hear back after being complete, therefore a likely conclusion of being rejected. Not about being late just about not hearing back for an interview.

Just my guess

What is the pre=secondary screening for OOS?

Does anyone have a recommendation about where to find potential roommates for incoming OOS students?

Forgive my slowness- how do you get added to the FB page? I just made one.. haha

Go here and click the button that says, "join group," or something to that effect. A mod will have to add you, so it may be a couple days before you have access.

for current QU students, i know there isn't any work study but are there low hassle student jobs available on campus? like a few hours a week or anything?

Hi everyone. Just wondering, does Netter participate in drug testing? As in one-and-done or random testing? Sorry for the awkward question. Thanks for your honest answers!