2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! I didn't know that. To save other people 5 minutes of searching, this is the link: https://apps.aamc.org/score-reporting-web/#/send-scores

Ooh, they made the interface pretty this year. Yeah, if you don't see AACOMAS immediately, then type 'American' in the search box. Should be the first one that comes up. Thanks for linking, @HopefulPilot

Members don't see this ad.

I need to vent. I sent 2 of my 7 transcripts via eTranscript (allowed, asked for AAMC ID and transcript ID on both) on May 3. National Student Clearinghouse said AMCAS received, AMCAS marked as received, has been marked as received since. HOWEVER, I didn't get a confirmation email. Today, they reverted to not received. I have to send them again as apparently AMCAS has no record. How does this even happen? How does something change from received to not received? Such bogus. I am now out another $30 for repeat transcripts in this very very expensive process **end rant**

Yeah the whole thing kinda sucks and I had a couple transcripts last cycle disappear into a black hole

@Eccesignum, how did you go about LOR for DO last year? The interface is weird, I'm thinking I'm not going to put them in my primary but send them from interfolio directly to the schools so I can control which letters go to which schools? I like the MD system so much better in this regards

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah the whole thing kinda sucks and I had a couple transcripts last cycle disappear into a black hole

@Eccesignum, how did you go about LOR for DO last year? The interface is weird, I'm thinking I'm not going to put them in my primary but send them from interfolio directly to the schools so I can control which letters go to which schools? I like the MD system so much better in this regards

it was super easy.

Open your dossier of letters in Interfolio. Click on the details of your letter and copy the email address you find.

Make a letter request in AACOMAS and put that email in there.

Once that's submitted. On the "Mail, Email & External Applications" tab in interfolio and check your deliveries awaiting payment. Pay.

https://help.interfolio.com/hc/en-u...ading-Letters-to-an-Online-Application-System

^^ Yep, what HP said. Interfolio was so much easier than using the primary.

Okay just got back to my hotel after MCAT. When I got to my car I sighed and then cried, relief more than anything. Hopefully it turns out okay so I don't have to go through that again (for admissions too lol). It was mentally and physically exhausting and I could feel my sharpness waning through the third and then really the fourth sections. Atleast knowing the date we get the results helps with the waiting, I'm one of those people who is more anxious about indefinite waits.

Reactions: 7 users
Guys I have to get 2 LORS still from Profs (need to send in my resume etc ), redo personal statement, and finalize school list. ! *SCREAM!* Feel like I'm behind

Reactions: 1 user
Okay just got back to my hotel after MCAT. When I got to my car I sighed and then cried, relief more than anything. Hopefully it turns out okay so I don't have to go through that again (for admissions too lol). It was mentally and physically exhausting and I could feel my sharpness waning through the third and then really the fourth sections. Atleast knowing the date we get the results helps with the waiting, I'm one of those people who is more anxious about indefinite waits.

Hey, congrats on slaying the beast. I will be in your shoes very soon. How was the test overall? Harder or easier than expected?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey, congrats on slaying the beast. I will be in your shoes very soon. How was the test overall? Harder or easier than expected?
Well, I thought physical/chemical would be my weak point but it went surprisingly okay. I'm naturally strong in CARS and it was fine as expected. I went into the midday break feeling pretty good about life. Then came bio/biochem and it slapped me down. Way harder than I expected. Last was psych/soc which I thought I would do well at since I'm a psych major (and some things I could directly attribute knowing from my classes), but it was surprisingly difficult. I had to debate between 2 answer choices on a lot of that section. Anyway, I didn't feel bad enough to void lol.....it was awful, but you kinda expect that going in. The morning just went so well that the afternoon seemed terrible in comparison.

after my first section i had a similar feeling as well. I knew I had bombed the first section and spoke about it with another person taking a break during that time. I wanted to void at that point. Once you are done with the mental anguish of taking the exam everything else just flows naturally. I ended up scoring on the higher end of my mean, so take that with a grain of salt. However, keep applying with the idea that you scored the highest you could imagine, otherwise the steam runs out until the results come back.

I need to vent. I sent 2 of my 7 transcripts via eTranscript (allowed, asked for AAMC ID and transcript ID on both) on May 3. National Student Clearinghouse said AMCAS received, AMCAS marked as received, has been marked as received since. HOWEVER, I didn't get a confirmation email. Today, they reverted to not received. I have to send them again as apparently AMCAS has no record. How does this even happen? How does something change from received to not received? Such bogus. I am now out another $30 for repeat transcripts in this very very expensive process **end rant**
Bureaucratic nightmares are real, keep on trucking and brush it off. There is much frustration and rejection to be found in this entire process. Keep your spirits high.

Those of you who already sent in your transcripts, did you actually include transcript request forms to be sent with them (the AACOMAS and AMCAS forms, not your in-house forms)? I'm asking because it would be a complicated process to get them (my 2 schools) to include the forms, and I would have to spend my last business day before Europe trying to get them that way. Or if it wasn't an absolute to include them, I can just bang out the online transcript requests now and move something from "to do" to "completed".

Those of you who already sent in your transcripts, did you actually include transcript request forms to be sent with them (the AACOMAS and AMCAS forms, not your in-house forms)? I'm asking because it would be a complicated process to get them (my 2 schools) to include the forms, and I would have to spend my last business day before Europe trying to get them that way. Or if it wasn't an absolute to include them, I can just bang out the online transcript requests now and move something from "to do" to "completed".

I included the forms for both transcripts I requested to AMCAS and AACOMAS, and the turn around time was very quick, both were received in a week's time.

You will most likely be able to get by without the forms, but there might be a delay in processing it especially if the school doesn't include the transcript ID.

I included the forms for both transcripts I requested to AMCAS and AACOMAS, and the turn around time was very quick, both were received in a week's time.

You will most likely be able to get by without the forms, but there might be a delay in processing it especially if the school doesn't include the transcript ID.
Okay, you convinced me lol. I'll wait and take care of it Monday so the forms can be included.

Members don't see this ad :)

I didn't include any of the forms either year and didn't have any problems. Just make sure the trans id number is somewhere on aamc ones and aacomas Id is on those ones and it seemed to work fine

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

^^ Yep, what HP said. Interfolio was so much easier than using the primary.

But I don't want all my letters going to all schools. So I don't think I want to send anything to aamcos right? And I seem to remember them having a low limit. For example I have the same letter written specifically to one school and a different version from the same person to go to all the other schools. I clearly don't want those going to aamcos

Unlike AMCAS where you can select which schools each letter goes to.

But I don't want all my letters going to all schools. So I don't think I want to send anything to aamcos right? And I seem to remember them having a low limit. For example I have the same letter written specifically to one school and a different version from the same person to go to all the other schools. I clearly don't want those going to aamcos

Unlike AMCAS where you can select which schools each letter goes to.

You don't have to send your letters to AACOMAS. If they're in Interfolio you can send any letter straight to any DO school you want (so if you have a particular version for a particular school you can do that). There's a small charge for each delivery packet you send out.

Is there a way to tell AAMC to release your MCAT scores to AACOMAS ahead of time? Like just pre-approve it? Or do you have to wait for your scores to be released?

I believe you have to wait for scores to be released... and it's on the score page. It only took a day for mine to make it over so it's not a long wait

I am waiting for my committee letter to be completed sometime in June to July. The composite letter will be uploaded along with my 6 individual letters to Interfolio.

Are you guys submitting the primary with all your letters uploaded/sent from Interfolio? Is it better to wait until letters are in the system before submitting?

FINALLY able to request my last transcript today, AND the grade I was waiting for was an A :)

Fortunately this institution is awesome and they have already processed my request to be sent out tomorrow!

Reactions: 2 users
MCAT scores are in. Did a lot better than I expected and am pretty happy about it. Now I have to focus on applications. My current to-do list includes:
  • Arrange ECs and write descriptions
  • Finish proofing PS
  • Collect a couple more LoEs
  • Finalize list of schools
  • Decide between OCHEM 2 and Biochemistry.
While I'm here, I might as well ask if my fellow Nontraditionals can comment on my school list. I have a thread up on Allo - WAMC. Hope everyone's cycles are going well so far!

2 questions:
1/ I still need to write couple more EC. Can I submit now and update that later?
2/ Should I submit with one throwaway school first? I plan to app anyway. I just don't want to mess up just in case.

You can't change your app after it's verified. I think there's an academic update allowed 1 September.

It really shouldn't make a different right now for schools. The app doesn't get sent until 15 June.

When do both AMCAS & ACOMAS open for application submission? I thought it was June 7th?

I have found my people! :)

Can we just talk a smidgen about how obnoxious it is being a non-trad and figuring out what schools to apply to from a financial standpoint?

I know there are a ton of schools now that value the non-trad experience and will work with lower GPAs (ie: not just use the computerized method of just discarding candidates of certain GPAs), in fact I've spoken with adcom at the super scary UCs who say they actually do read EVERY application.

That being said, there are still schools that will chop you off their list with the computer, and its such a bummer they aren't all transparent about that. I could really use this fee money I'm tossing to those schools :(

ETA: it may be worth it to you to call some schools and see though. Most are willing to give you some guidance. I actually found out more about some screens than I thought I would had I not spent this hour doing so! But be advised, some of the people answering the phone can be very rude, while others are super sweet. I'm sure this has been advised before- but just putting in my two cents about it! :)

Last edited:
Just submitted my AACOMAS yesterday for a whopping $995 :boom:

Submitting to my in-state MD's as soon as June 7th hits, app is currently ready to go.

I am a 24 year old slight non-trad, did academic reinvention with my SMP-type masters (killed it with a 3.92) and 502 MCAT.

Finally finished up my PS, and my 3 "most meaningful" blurbs. Now I just have to go back and edit a few of my activities/update them from last year, and app is done. Will be so excited to get it in on day 1 this year.

Finally finished up my PS, and my 3 "most meaningful" blurbs. Now I just have to go back and edit a few of my activities/update them from last year, and app is done. Will be so excited to get it in on day 1 this year.

Woot, let's go Mavric!!! Early app = more chances.

Ugh, the most meaningful mini essays will be the death of me! How many other ways can I say all interactions (save for those with exhausted, post-call docs) make me wanna be a doctor? =/

Ughhh application fees... I see the Amcas primary total and it makes me want to delete some schools.

I know. I keep thinking I should but I'm too afraid of not applying broadly enough =/

I wouldn't frame them that way at all. I would frame them with - what did you get out of it. Doesn't even have to do with why you want to be a dr. If you learned leadership skills, talk about that. If you learned about exploring a passion and dedication, talk about that

I wouldn't frame them that way at all. I would frame them with - what did you get out of it. Doesn't even have to do with why you want to be a dr. If you learned leadership skills, talk about that. If you learned about exploring a passion and dedication, talk about that

Oh, that's actually great advice, thank you!

I'm submitting my apps today. Three programs. One interview invite so far, date still TBD. One LOR (from my chairman) already submitted.
Ughhh application fees... I see the Amcas primary total and it makes me want to delete some schools.
Don't delete schools for financial reasons if you have a well-thought out list. Unfortunately, the expense of the app process gets worse before it gets better. I spent way more on secondaries than I did on AMCAS, and then it can be very expensive again for interview travel, especially if you are applying cross-country....though I reduced travel expenses significantly by grouping my interviews and staying with students/fellow SDNers.

Also, just want to make sure that all of you know about the list of secondary prompts in the PA and PO forums, as well as the SDN interview feedback feature. Make liberal and early use of them both for max app success.

Throwing my hat in the ring again. I took a long hiatus from SDN after the blowout last year, and I think I'm going to narrow in on the non-trad forum and not stray elsewhere this time around. The cycle has enough anxiety...!

Last year: 19 MD programs, 4 DO, submitted mid-July, complete most places in late August.
This year: ~25 MD (~15 new), 7 DO (3 new), plan to submit in the first week of AMCAS.

Completed: Transcript requests, LOR's (minus 2 -- the DO and employer, will remind them soon!).
In progress: Draft #2 of activities complete, almost done with my PS re-write draft #1. Definitely struggling more this year since I wasn't informed that anything in my writing was particularly bad... just not overly compelling. My most recent non-science essay was 10 years ago in a rhetoric class. I feel rusty...

Good luck everyone!

I'm just having second thoughts on my school list. The feedback I received was that I had a CHANCE at most everywhere, but I think its going to be highly dependent on who reviews my app and whether my experiences compensate for my lower GPA.

Yeah same here. I think my school list is solid, but I'm still on the fence for a few more schools. I can't decide if I should go all out and apply to a few more schools or not. I have the funds for it, but that's still money I could use for something else...

You're better off applying to too many schools than to too few. You can always decline interviews later if you find yourself in the position of having too many invites. But it's hard to scramble later to add more schools, not to mention the disadvantage of being a late applicant at those schools.

This isn't a process for the faint of heart. It's expensive; it's time-consuming; and it's a lot of work. But as much work/time/money as it is to add a few more schools this year, it's still less work/time/money than doing the whole thing over again next year would be. :-/

Submitted my apps.

You're better off applying to too many schools than to too few. You can always decline interviews later if you find yourself in the position of having too many invites. But it's hard to scramble later to add more schools, not to mention the disadvantage of being a late applicant at those schools.

This isn't a process for the faint of heart. It's expensive; it's time-consuming; and it's a lot of work. But as much work/time/money as it is to add a few more schools this year, it's still less work/time/money than doing the whole thing over again next year would be. :-/

Submitted my apps.

Sure I can definitely understand your reasoning. The schools I'm a bit unsure about right now though are kind of reach (but in range) schools, so that's why I'm a bit iffy with applying. :/

I already got interview invites from all three of my programs. That was....unexpectedly fast. First interview in July.

Sure I can definitely understand your reasoning. The schools I'm a bit unsure about right now though are kind of reach (but in range) schools, so that's why I'm a bit iffy with applying. :/
If you're interested in those schools, and they're reasonable matches for your app/career goals, and they take residents of your state, then heck yeah, you should apply. Look at the bigger picture here. Are you seriously saying you're ok with taking on a quarter million dollars worth of debt or more to get a medical education, but you're agonizing over a few hundred dollars more in app fees? :eyebrow:

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone want to critique my school list on my wamc?
Do you have ties to FL or are you a former resident? Most of our state schools heavily prefer in-state residents. Double check the MSAR to see if the OOS proportions are reasonable (which I defined as below 75% in-state when I applied) before you apply to any of the FL schools besides Miami, which is private and does take a lot of OOS students.

They're some I'm looking at cutting. No ties but other military vets I've talked to have had success down there, specifically with Miami, usf, and ucf
But if they were stationed in FL and you weren't, you really can't compare yourself to them, especially if they became state residents. We have a big military presence in this state, including McDill in Tampa (where USF is), Navy in Jax, etc. So it isn't surprising that we have large numbers of vets staying on and attending medical school here after they complete their military service.

I already got interview invites from all three of my programs. That was....unexpectedly fast. First interview in July.:

Yay, that's awesome!

In other news, I can't believe it's June tomorrow and that we have only one week left till submission opens. I've been refining my activity descriptions and most meaningful essays. The main problem I'm coming across is that as a nontrad, most of my activities really aren't medically related (though I do have an otherwise recurring theme) so I don't want to force my descriptions to be as such. I've got "enough" clinical experience I think, it's just a matter of most of my writing not having anything to do with medicine per say.

Other question I ran into today- for letters of rec, I have a letter from my post-bacc premed advisor (technically not a committee letter since there was no committee). I also have a bunch of other individual letters. I'm confused whether or not my advisor letter "counts" as a committee letter and even if it does, should I submit some of my other letters if they are then not necessary?

I already got interview invites from all three of my programs. That was....unexpectedly fast. First interview in July.

That's great, Q! :clap:

I'm having a difficult time motivating myself to play with my MD app. DO has been submitted though. Paid them to enter my courses for me, so I'm just waiting on that.

That's great, Q! :clap:

I'm having a difficult time motivating myself to play with my MD app. DO has been submitted though. Paid them to enter my courses for me, so I'm just waiting on that.
That is the greatest advance in med school applications ever. They could have charged me almost anything they wanted to do my transcripts and I would have thought it was well worth the price. Lol.

Haha. It's a nice feature. I inputted my classes in February because I wanted to see what the process was like. It sucked, so I was going to pay for the service. Luckily they allowed all the data from non verified apps to be pulled forward to this year's system.
Yeah, if you have a lot of transcripts (I had five), it's a huge PITA. Add that to the fact that my primary UG transcript had no grades, no credit hours, and no semester designations (hippie college), and it was even more painful. I ultimately wound up arbitrarily designating various classes to various school years since they were just listed randomly on my transcript in nothing like the order in which I took them. AMCAS took a few weeks to verify me, but they didn't give me too much of a hard time. I guess whomever looked at that mess probably had the same reaction I did, which was, ok, let's just assign one quarter of the classes to each year in an order that more or less makes sense, and call it a day. :)

AACOMAS verified today. 12 years ago accumulative gpa 2.67 . Now Overall all gpa 3.12. Science = 3.45. Post bac = 3.9999 with 56 credits. I thought it was impossible before the journey. Now I think I have a decent small chance. Keep up all the hard works everyone.

Reactions: 6 users
Finished re-writing my activities today - that means my two apps are good to go. Just waiting on 1 more person to read over my PS then DO is going out the door, and MD will be submitted at midnight on the opening day. Hooray. Then all but one of my new LOR's are in, and I won't even needs those for weeksssss. This cycle is off to a much, much better start than last.

Finished re-writing my activities today - that means my two apps are good to go. Just waiting on 1 more person to read over my PS then DO is going out the door, and MD will be submitted at midnight on the opening day. Hooray. Then all but one of my new LOR's are in, and I won't even needs those for weeksssss. This cycle is off to a much, much better start than last.
Agreed! Last year at this time I was still studying for the MCAT. However much I dislike re-writing everything (was it bad last year? who knows...), I'm thankful to not be doing the MCAT again! And for submitting up to a month earlier. And that I didn't apply to about half of my target schools, so I'll only be a re-applicant at half of my schools.