2018-19 Pain Fellowship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are people’s backup plans if they don’t match? (Good anesthesia practice to always have backup plans talking here I guess)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What are people’s backup plans if they don’t match? (Good anesthesia practice to always have backup plans talking here I guess)
Would like know what your back up will be?

I will continue doing anesthesia and look for other avenues to do something about my career!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Who had the best lunch on the interview trail? Out of my interviews Mount Sinai was the best of them all.

I interviewed at 6 programs. I'm honestly not sure if I would try to apply again if I don't match. I graduated from residency in anesthesia back in 2011...so I've been out in private practice for a bit and doing just fine. I'm okay doing anesthesia for the long haul but always had getting into pain in the back of my mind. I think I have a decent shot with 6 programs. I guess we will see soon enough.

I interviewed at 6 programs. I'm honestly not sure if I would try to apply again if I don't match. I graduated from residency in anesthesia back in 2011...so I've been out in private practice for a bit and doing just fine. I'm okay doing anesthesia for the long haul but always had getting into pain in the back of my mind. I think I have a decent shot with 6 programs. I guess we will see soon enough.

I am in a similar situation, graduated 2015, interviewed at 6 programs. I wont be applying again!! But at the same time not very keen on doing anesthesia in the long run!!
Working on other logistics, business opportunities!! lets see!!

Good luck ;)

Anyone have any opinions on the following programs? These are the ones I interviewed at. Duke, UPMC, UVA, Arizona, Nebraska, VCU.

Anyone have any opinions on the following programs? These are the ones I interviewed at. Duke, UPMC, UVA, Arizona, Nebraska, VCU.
Posted to the Pain Fellowship Reviews to try and get some movement.

This is my thought after interviewing at > 10 programs. I don't think there is a single program that I'll regret matching into.
Unfortunately SDN has a lot of old/bad information on pain fellowship programs. The main thing I want to clarify for future applicants is that the ones that are called out as "not very interventional" are really just programs with more balanced approach to pain management. You will become equally skilled in interventions in these programs.
Pick the ones that best suit your career goals. Good luck ranking/matching everyone!

upload_2018-9-6_16-0-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-6_15-55-19.png
    upload_2018-9-6_15-55-19.png
    234.5 KB · Views: 240
Reactions: 1 users
I know we have to submit our rank order list by Sept 26th, but when do programs have to submit their lists by?

Members don't see this ad :)
So A Week more before the rank list gets locked up for analysis!!!:rolleyes:

I have not changed it since I finalized a long time ago!!
What about you guys?

The status say "CERTIFIED"

Is that right??

I’m back and forth with my #1 and #2 daily. Just all comes down to location preferences as the programs are both solid. Happy to have another week to deliberate.....

I’m back and forth with my #1 and #2 daily. Just all comes down to location preferences as the programs are both solid. Happy to have another week to deliberate.....
What are your one and two? Just out of curiosity

Good luck guys. Has anyone found out how to add their NRMP ID to their ERAS profile?

Does anyone know if we get notified this week that we matched or or not? Like how it was in residency match?

No. You will be notified on October 10th, 12pm for everything.

Boy oh boy
It’s certainly a wait till next Wednesday !!!

Feels like forever! Do the programs submit their rank list at the same time as us?

Hello everyone. I'm trying to applying for the 2019 cycle and noticed that there are only 83 programs on ERAS. The ACGME website shows 102 programs. Does this mean 19 programs are not on ERAS or some more programs will be on ERAS in the next couple of month?

Also, for programs that are not on ERAS, are you able to send LORS from ERAS to the programs or do writers have to send them directly to these programs.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I'm trying to applying for the 2019 cycle and noticed that there are only 83 programs on ERAS. The ACGME website shows 102 programs. Does this mean 19 programs are not on ERAS or some more programs will be on ERAS in the next couple of month?

Also, for programs that are not on ERAS, are you able to send LORS from ERAS to the programs or do writers have to send them directly to these programs.

They will start showing up. Give it time.

The hard work is done!!
You either win or learn!!
Best wishes to all aspirants..... 2 more days and I cannot wait!!

Long time lurker here. Less than 12 hours to go! Good luck and best wishes to everyone! We got this!

I did not match!!
Congratulations who matched!!
Well done!!

Congrats to everyone who matched! Really long journey to get to this point. For those who didn’t, I heard this was a pretty competitive year. There’s always next year!

Wow. What a long process. Glad it’s over. I interviewed at 7 programs. They all had their positives and negatives and would have provided solid trading however at the end of the day I went with my gut. Congrats to everyone who matched and my condolences to those who didn’t.

surprised Texas Tech went unmatched and some others didnt fill
Texas tech filled prematch, as did most other unfilled programs. Which I thought was a match violation but clearly isn’t given how widespread the practice seemed to have been

It has been a week, and I still can't believe we are done. Please contribute to this forum with program reviews for the future applicant. Best of luck to you guys we did it!

So very thrilled to have matched and almost equally as happy it is over! I will post my reviews of programs to help future applicants. Congrats to everyone!

I got 75.6% based on

Fellowship Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program
https://mk0nrmpcikgb8jxyd19h.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Results-and-Data-SMS-2018.pdf

Looks like these programs didn't fill through the match
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA-IL
University of Toledo-OH
Cincinnati Childrens Hosp MC-OH

Used last year's data. Dang.

Looks like these programs didn't fill through the match
U South Cali - LA 1 open spot
U MICHIGAN HOSPS-ANN ARBOR - 2/3 PM&R spots open
PENN STATE HERSHEY MED CTR-PA - 1 PM&R spot open
TEXAS TECH U AFFIL-LUBBOCK - 3/3 spots open
VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH U HLTH SYS - 3/4 spots open
U WASHINGTON - 1 pediatric pain spot open
U WISC - 1 Anesthesia Pain Spot open
JACKSON MEMORIAL HOSP-FL - 2/2 spots open

Outside of the pediatric pain spot, I assume the other spots were gamed outside of the match system, but I'm not sure. I would assume the NRMP/ACGME and other boards would look closely at those programs to make sure they aren't abusing the system to lock residents/fellows into non-NRMP/ACGME backed things to keep them for longer periods or working outside the protections of the system

Last edited:
Gotta say, if my interview impression was correct, Texas Tech does not care what NRMP sanctions they may incur for the next appointment year.

Gotta say, if my interview impression was correct, Texas Tech does not care what NRMP sanctions they may incur for the next appointment year.
I am kind of curious how this process works. Do they do things old school way by offering spots few weeks after the interviews while keeping the option of participating in match? Seems unprofessional and risky to make such a 'deal' behind closed door. I am not entirely sure what the benefit would be for the programs. I guess there must be something appealing to this nonsense.

I am kind of curious how this process works. Do they do things old school way by offering spots few weeks after the interviews while keeping the option of participating in match? Seems unprofessional and risky to make such a 'deal' behind closed door. I am not entirely sure what the benefit would be for the programs. I guess there must be something appealing to this nonsense.

I'm interested in this as well.