2018-2019 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawpy

42% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
1. What makes you unique from other applicants to CMSRU, and how will you contribute to the diverse learning environment at CMSRU?

2. Reflect on how you will be able to relate to an underserved urban population.

3. Describe a challenging situation you faced and what you did to address it.

4. Discuss how you identify and respond to adversity or stress.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe we will get them late this month. Also cooper prescreens.

I believe we will get them late this month. Also cooper prescreens.

I just panicked because I was born in NJ and lived there for 25 years, but my current address is in VA since that's where I'm stationed. I was like omg they won't know I have ties to NJ. Then I realized AMCAS has where you were born on the first page, and I went to Rutgers Camden lol. Neuroticism level 100.

Reactions: 1 user
Would it be worth it applying here? I'm OOS but really want to end up closer to friends and family in the New Jersey area. Also already applied to Rowan SOM FWIW.

Would it be worth it applying here? I'm OOS but really want to end up closer to friends and family in the New Jersey area. Also already applied to Rowan SOM FWIW.

I think it’s worth it. I was invited to interview (but chose not to attend), and have no in state ties. I do have a lot of service, though.

Are any of you ED applicants? Does anyone know the rate of success by doing ED? Online it says that you have to have over a 506 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA to apply ED to cooper, but does that mean I have to be way over the stats?

Are any of you ED applicants? Does anyone know the rate of success by doing ED? Online it says that you have to have over a 506 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA to apply ED to cooper, but does that mean I have to be way over the stats?

I think usually people contact admissions for their opinion on whether it’s worth it for you to apply ED. If you don’t stand a good chance, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage for when you then have to apply to other schools, which will then be late.

I think usually people contact admissions for their opinion on whether it’s worth it for you to apply ED. If you don’t stand a good chance, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage for when you then have to apply to other schools, which will then be late.

I did contact admissions and they did encourage me to apply as an ED applicant, but im also going to be a re-applicant, so unsure of how to proceed, kinda nervous if I don't get admission then I'll be in the same boat as last year since I applied broadly but late due to getting my MCAT scores late.

Last edited:
I did contact admissions and they did encourage me to apply as an ED applicant, but im also going to be a re-applicant, so unsure of how to proceed, kinda nervous if I don't get admission then I'll be in the same boat as last year since I applied broadly but late due to getting my MCAT scores late.

If they encouraged you to apply ED and you want to go to there, I would. They wouldn’t tell you to apply ED if you didn’t have a good shot.

I think it’s worth it. I was invited to interview (but chose not to attend), and have no in state ties. I do have a lot of service, though.
Thanks for the reply! Could I pm you and get a little more info? Trying to gauge my chances because my budget is tight but also pretty interested in Cooper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current student at CMSRU. If you have any questions, feel free to ask outright or send a pm. Best of luck!

Current student at CMSRU. If you have any questions, feel free to ask outright or send a pm. Best of luck!

Thanks for helping out! Can you tell us about your experience so far at cooper? What you like and what could be improved?

Thanks for helping out! Can you tell us about your experience so far at cooper? What you like and what could be improved?
Positives:
-Non-mandatory lectures
-ALG really helps to solidify course material; able to receive insight from attending physicians early in the game
-Clinic. Being able to help members of the Camden community is just an incredible experience
-Plenty of service learning opportunities
-"Small" feel. Everyone knows your name and you get to know all of your classmates (which of course, isn't always a good thing)
-Hospital is welcoming. You can shadow whenever you want in whatever specialty you want.
-Early patient exposure. I feel as though I have learned much more than students at other schools.
Negatives:
-Satellite rotations can be disorganized. Not a huge deal, but they are at odd times during the day and you often just end up sitting there (which can be a positive...more time to study).
-If you like a 'big campus' feel, this isn't the place for you
-Scholars Workshop is a class held once per week that is just a complete waste of time and it couldn't be taught by a worse professor. However, the lecture is not mandatory (small sessions are mandatory) and the material is really easy. Some people complain about FMP lecture as well...but as they say, "they can't all be winners".

Overall, I've really enjoyed my time here and I know that I am receiving a fantastic education (at the end of the day, you get out what you put into it). I feel as though we are a lot less stressed than students at other schools and we have a lot of opportunities to excel (our match list has never been less than great). If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Positives:
-Non-mandatory lectures
-ALG really helps to solidify course material; able to receive insight from attending physicians early in the game
-Clinic. Being able to help members of the Camden community is just an incredible experience
-Plenty of service learning opportunities
-"Small" feel. Everyone knows your name and you get to know all of your classmates (which of course, isn't always a good thing)
-Hospital is welcoming. You can shadow whenever you want in whatever specialty you want.
-Early patient exposure. I feel as though I have learned much more than students at other schools.
Negatives:
-Satellite rotations can be disorganized. Not a huge deal, but they are at odd times during the day and you often just end up sitting there (which can be a positive...more time to study).
-If you like a 'big campus' feel, this isn't the place for you
-Scholars Workshop is a class held once per week that is just a complete waste of time and it couldn't be taught by a worse professor. However, the lecture is not mandatory (small sessions are mandatory) and the material is really easy. Some people complain about FMP lecture as well...but as they say, "they can't all be winners".

Overall, I've really enjoyed my time here and I know that I am receiving a fantastic education (at the end of the day, you get out what you put into it). I feel as though we are a lot less stressed than students at other schools and we have a lot of opportunities to excel (our match list has never been less than great). If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Best of luck!

Where are the satellite rotations, and for which specialties?

Where are the satellite rotations, and for which specialties?
They are generally in/around the hospital for first year (walkable). Specialties for first year are psych, ob, id, and pharmacy (to help eradicate the “silos”), although pharm was cancelled. You also do wow week and yellow belt. For wow week (week on the wards), you rotate around the core specialties for a week (although I snuck into ent during gen surg) and then you spend a week doing quality improvement around the hospital with some MBA’s. You learn a ton and you get a 2 week break from studying.

Last edited:
They are generally in/around the hospital for first year (walkable). Specialties for first year are psych, ob, id, and pharmacy (to help eradicate the “silos”), although pharm was cancelled. You also do wow week and yellow belt. For wow week (week on the wards), you rotate around the core specialties for a week (although I snuck into ent during gen surg) and then you spend a week doing quality improvement around the hospital with some MBA’s. You learn a ton and you get a 2 week break from studying.

That's awesome.

any secondaries? this school, NJMS, Albany medical, and Penn State are outstanding for me.

any secondaries? this school, NJMS, Albany medical, and Penn State are outstanding for me.
They pre-screen so the process takes a bit longer. Secondary generally consists of a few short essays.

is Camden safe?
There have never been any serious incidents involving CMSRU students to my knowledge (the worst I have heard of is a car being broken into). Safety is relative. Is Camden dangerous? It can be, but unfortunately, so can lots of other places (e.g. concert venues and high schools). Students in my class regularly traverse to and from the PATCO on a nightly basis without harm. Moreover, I regularly walk around the neighborhood and the worst thing that has happened to me has been being asked for some change. Is there violence? Yes. Will you see drug use? Absolutely. Will you see poverty? At its worst. However, our school keeps us incredibly safe and most of us consider it a privilege to live in the community that we aim to treat and improve upon. You will see things here that you will rarely see anywhere else...and with that comes tremendous learning opportunities (e.g. PATH, sidekicks, street medicine, etc.).

I have been living in Camden over a year and I have never seen a swat team or a raid. Does it probably go on? Sure, but not anywhere near the school or hospital. Camden used to be the most dangerous city in America, but it is improving every day. There is a new life sciences center being built right down the street that will be shared with Rutgers, our school received $50M for research, and the waterfront is exploding with high rises and luxury condos. And if Camden isn't for you, you can live in Philadelphia, Collingswood, Haddonfield, etc. (all a short PATCO ride from the school).

Not everyone can handle living/working in Camden, and that's why the school looks for people with a specific mission and specific personality. If you fit that mission, you'll love it here and you will learn a ton in the process.

Reactions: 1 users
There have never been any serious incidents involving CMSRU students to my knowledge (the worst I have heard of is a car being broken into). Safety is relative. Is Camden dangerous? It can be, but unfortunately, so can lots of other places (e.g. concert venues and high schools). Students in my class regularly traverse to and from the PATCO on a nightly basis without harm. Moreover, I regularly walk around the neighborhood and the worst thing that has happened to me has been being asked for some change. Is there violence? Yes. Will you see drug use? Absolutely. Will you see poverty? At its worst. However, our school keeps us incredibly safe and most of us consider it a privilege to live in the community that we aim to treat and improve upon. You will see things here that you will rarely see anywhere else...and with that comes tremendous learning opportunities (e.g. PATH, sidekicks, street medicine, etc.).

I have been living in Camden over a year and I have never seen a swat team or a raid. Does it probably go on? Sure, but not anywhere near the school or hospital. Camden used to be the most dangerous city in America, but it is improving every day. There is a new life sciences center being built right down the street that will be shared with Rutgers, our school received $50M for research, and the waterfront is exploding with high rises and luxury condos. And if Camden isn't for you, you can live in Philadelphia, Collingswood, Haddonfield, etc. (all a short PATCO ride from the school).

Not everyone can handle living/working in Camden, and that's why the school looks for people with a specific mission and specific personality. If you fit that mission, you'll love it here and you will learn a ton in the process.

I went to Rutgers Camden for 4 years and saw many. I'm not going to say it's the worst place, but let's not pretend it's perfectly safe. It is a dangerous city. As someone from around that area who spent significant time in Camden, I would encourage people to apply anyway--I am. Despite the dangerous nature of the city, you can avoid putting yourself in danger by being smart. I never felt like I was in danger because I didn't do anything stupid like walk down the street to a parking lot alone at night. I also didn't live there, which helped a lot.

I went to Rutgers Camden for 4 years and saw many. I'm not going to say it's the worst place, but let's not pretend it's perfectly safe. It is a dangerous city. As someone from around that area who spent significant time in Camden, I would encourage people to apply anyway--I am. Despite the dangerous nature of the city, you can avoid putting yourself in danger by being smart. I never felt like I was in danger because I didn't do anything stupid like walk down the street to a parking lot alone at night. I also didn't live there, which helped a lot.
I am assuming that this was a few years ago or more? As I said, Camden changes every day. I walk around Rutgers for exercise and most of the area is filled with brand new/renovated apartments and new construction. Not a swat team or raid in sight. In fact, the Rutgers area is now one of the nicest in all of Camden, which is why many students frequent The Victor area.

And I was in no way pretending that Camden is perfectly safe. Nowhere is perfectly safe. You will see things here that will shock you. However, I have never once felt threatened. And I don’t believe any of my classmates have either.

As you said, it’s about being smart. If you make yourself a target you will most likely be a target...and that goes for almost any area.

Last edited:
I am assuming that this was a few years ago or more? As I said, Camden changes every day. I walk around Rutgers for exercise and most of the area is filled with brand new/renovated apartments and new construction. Not a swat team or raid in sight. In fact, the Rutgers area is now one of the nicest in all of Camden, which is why many students frequent The Victor area.

And I was in no way pretending that Camden is perfectly safe. Nowhere is perfectly safe. You will see things here that will shock you. However, I have never once felt threatened. And I don’t believe any of my classmates have either.

As you said, it’s about being smart. If you make yourself a target you will most likely be a target...and that goes for almost any area.

Glad to hear it’s changed. It was quite rough when I was there. But yes, that was six years ago. But like I said, I never personally felt in danger because I just used common sense.

Some people get a 2* within 24 hours of submitting a primary (I did) and some people get them weeks/months later (if at all). Is there a rhyme/reason to that? I can't say for sure. Sit tight and enjoy the process. Again, best of luck to all.

would you say that there are any safe food/coffee options within walking distance of the hospital? A few students that I spoke to said that they lived across campus and got through first year without a car, but I don't see how that's possible without any grocery/convenience stores nearby
There is a coffee shop opening up immediately across the street this Fall. In addition, there will be a cafe opening up in the new health sciences building down the street (about a 90 second walk) in March (anticipated opening). In the actual school, there is a great cafe with fresh brewed Starbucks for cheap and some pretty tasty sandwiches, soups, etc. And the hospital food is actually pretty awesome...

I have a car, so I can’t really comment about what to do with groceries. But some grocery stores do deliver (e.g. Wegman’s, the golden jewel of grocery stores) and you could always transport some groceries back from Philly via the Patco.

Secondary received today.

Essays: RD

1. What makes you unique from other applicants to CMSRU, and how will you contribute to the diverse learning environment at CMSRU? (1000 characters)

2. Reflect on how you will be able to relate to an underserved urban population. (1000 characters)

3. Describe a challenging situation you faced and what you did to address it. (1000 characters)

4. Discuss how you identify and respond to adversity or stress. (1500 characters)

Reactions: 5 users
Essays: RD

1. What makes you unique from other applicants to CMSRU, and how will you contribute to the diverse learning environment at CMSRU? (1000 characters)

2. Reflect on how you will be able to relate to an underserved urban population. (1000 characters)

3. Describe a challenging situation you faced and what you did to address it. (1000 characters)

4. Discuss how you identify and respond to adversity or stress. (1500 characters)

Are the character counts including spaces?

I haven’t received any secondary and I was verified early June. I’ve submitted most other secondaries and they’re marked complete. Anyone know what the case is here?

anyone know whens the deadline for the secondary application
Cooper OSTEOPATHIC School of Rowan University?

This is for Cooper md right not DO? I’m applying md so don’t wanna write the wrong secondary

I haven’t received any secondary and I was verified early June. I’ve submitted most other secondaries and they’re marked complete. Anyone know what the case is here?

Cooper is known to pre screen their applicants and then send secondaries to selected people. Seems like they just started sending so stay patient for a bit more. (Also verified very early and haven't received anything yet from here so don't worry yet).

Cooper is known to pre screen their applicants and then send secondaries to selected people. Seems like they just started sending so stay patient for a bit more. (Also verified very early and haven't received anything yet from here so don't worry yet).
But this is for the md program right , not DO?

This feed is for Cooper Medical School at Rowan University (an allopathic school in Camden, NJ). Rowan's osteopathic school is Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine, which is located in Stratford, NJ. CMSRU pre screens heavily. I do not know about the osteopathic school's policies. It could be very different since they are two completely different schools

Pretty sure I go to an MD school...:rolleyes:. There is no known DO school with the name “CMSRU”. Fake news!

Reactions: 2 users