2018-2019 University of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how late in the cycle they hand out II's? Should I just assume I won't recieve an II at this point?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Wondering the same thing. I got an email from admissions saying my file is still under review with admissions. Anyone have any advice about if they are still interviewing?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year they had interviews through mid February so there is still hope I think.

Reactions: 1 users
Wondering the same thing. I got an email from admissions saying my file is still under review with admissions. Anyone have any advice about if they are still interviewing?
When did you get the email?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

just spoke with the admissions office (havent heard from them yet regarding rejection or interview) and they said we should be hearing back within the next two weeks. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign. has anyone else not heard back since their secondary?

Reactions: 4 users
just spoke with the admissions office (havent heard from them yet regarding rejection or interview) and they said we should be hearing back within the next two weeks. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign. has anyone else not heard back since their secondary?
I havent heard anything since secondary. I was thinking I'm getting rejected but I thought I'd at least get an interview.

I havent heard anything since secondary. I was thinking I'm getting rejected but I thought I'd at least get an interview.

I was thinking the same thing. My college works closely with the U and we were told that if you hit their min GPA, MCAT, Leadership, LOR, and volunteer hours you're pretty much guaranteed an interview but I guess I could've misunderstood...

I was thinking the same thing. My college works closely with the U and we were told that if you hit their min GPA, MCAT, Leadership, LOR, and volunteer hours you're pretty much guaranteed an interview but I guess I could've misunderstood...
Yeah its odd, I know someone who has lower stats than I in terms of MCAT and GPA and they got an II. Maybe they weigh ECs pretty heavy or maybe its because I wasnt complete until mid october who knows.

Yeah its odd, I know someone who has lower stats than I in terms of MCAT and GPA and they got an II. Maybe they weigh ECs pretty heavy or maybe its because I wasnt complete until mid october who knows.

If I remember what they said when I interviewed there in October, MCAT/GPA, EC's, and interview day stuff each equal 1/3 of their evaluation of you so I guess MCAT/GPA and EC's are equally weighted.

If I remember what they said when I interviewed there in October, MCAT/GPA, EC's, and interview day stuff each equal 1/3 of their evaluation of you so I guess MCAT/GPA and EC's are equally weighted.

As a second year applicant, my understanding is that they weigh ECs heavily for II and then almost downgrade it to 1/3 (along with GPA/MCAT and interviews). They don’t say this explicitly but they aren’t 100% transparent with the admissions process. I scored a 499 MCAT with a ~3.6 GPA my first year (dismal), but my ECs are good so I was luckily granted an interview. Keep your heads up though guys! Keep grinding!!!

Last edited:
As a second year applicant, my understanding is that they weigh ECs heavily for II and then almost downgrade it to 1/3 (along with GPA/MCAT and interviews). They don’t say this explicitly but they aren’t 100% transparent with the admissions process. I scored a 499 MCAT with a ~3.6 GPA my first year, but my ECs are good so I was luckily granted an interview. Keep your heads up though guys! Keep grinding!!!
Wow thats some great insight, thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh Utah why do you make us wait till march...?

Reactions: 3 users
I know of someone who got an IS acceptance call yesterday. Interviewed 10/26.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It was emphasized from my freshman year at my university that the U weighs EC VERY heavily. So if you don’t meet or exceed their average for all ECs it’ll probably be very difficult to get an interview.

It was emphasized from my freshman year at my university that the U weighs EC VERY heavily. So if you don’t meet or exceed their average for all ECs it’ll probably be very difficult to get an interview.
Interesting, that makes a lot of sense. My ECs are quite average nothing too extraordinary.

Got the call from Dr. Chan earlier this evening! OOS, non-trad.

End of September. I did send an update maybe a week ago, not sure if that helped?

Accepted yesterday! Interviewed in September, OOS, Nontrad, Alum

Received the ax yesterday pre-interview. A wee bit surprised and disappointed given that I interviewed and was waitlisted last year, and since then I've had more volunteering, more clinical hours, and a better MCAT score. Who knows :shrug: this process is so random. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know what the “changes to the admissions process” will be for 2020?

Is there a way for us to find out what things we lacked in our applications that got us a rejection?

Does anyone know what the “changes to the admissions process” will be for 2020?
I believe that the new mcat minimum is going from 492 to 500 and at least a 125 in each section.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile