This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My waitlist school just sent out a v threatening email to all students accepted/waitlisted saying that they must abide by the CTE waitlist protocols in order to allow others to actually matriculate into the school who deserve it.

I think they’re as angry about the lack of waitlist movement as I am.
And there is absolutely nothing they can do about it because they are not protocols, they are "suggestions."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
And there is absolutely nothing they can do about it because they are not protocols, they are suggestions.

It’s a Midwest school, so I think the passive aggressive dishonor might actually be effective.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck with waitlists this week, everyone. There's probably barely any left but if it happens this might be the last week because so many schools are starting their classes. This 132-page thread may finally be laid to rest soon.

Reactions: 7 users
(inserting myself into this conversation) I am retaking the MCAT so if anyone wants to be in touch/support each other through that process let me know!

How long are MCAT scores usually good for? If I took mine last May 2018 but I'm re-applying this cycle, I should be good. But if I need to apply again for 2020-2021, then I'd probably need to take it again?

Reactions: 1 user
How long are MCAT scores usually good for? If I took mine last May 2018 but I'm re-applying this cycle, I should be good. But if I need to apply again for 2020-2021, then I'd probably need to take it again?
You'll have to check your intended schools one by one. Some schools have a 3-year limit, but many of the Texas schools will take an MCAT 4-5 years old.

You'll have to check your intended schools one by one. Some schools have a 3-year limit, but many of the Texas schools will take an MCAT 4-5 years old.

Most schools have a three year limit. When the three year limit starts is school dependent. SUNY downstate requires an mcat taken within 3 years of matriculation rather than submission, so its tricky.

Reactions: 4 users
@gyngyn do you anticipate any more movement, or do you think things are pretty well wrapped up? Did you end up having those multiple As choose just one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes sense. Last I heard from my school, there were a couple of people with multiple offers. Let's see. Thanks.

I have heard different things from different schools. One school hasn’t had movement since the CTE deadline. Yet, another claims that not only has there been movement, but that the class has not even been finalized.

I’m not sure what to make of things but I’m holding on to an infinitesimally small sliver of hope.

CTE deadline for both of my waitlist schools was last week, I've officially given up hope and I've never felt more defeated.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah mine passed yesterday and I still have some hope, however I’ve already taken a couple practice mcats and am pretty well accepting of my fate.

This is my second go round of med school application failure, and there is no sugar coating the sadness and deep feeling of loss that goes into getting nothing from investing everything you have into something. On the other hand, I think it’s a good time to reflect on what exactly about being a doctor is going to be fulfilling and how you can pivot your life as it is now to align more with that fulfillment. I think the closer you align yourself to some sort of happiness or fulfillment, the closer you’ll get. That’s how it’s worked out for me. I got closer to becoming a doctor this round than I did my first round by a massive margin, and I credit a good deal of that to personal reflection and modulation of how I lived my life from one cycle to the next. As a result, I’m still devastated that I didn’t get in this cycle. But I have things in my life that make me happy that are aligned with my future in medicine which makes it much easier to not give up hope and not give up trying.

I’m going to be very old for my class when I finally get into medical school. But I’m going to be damn proud of the clinical experiences I’ve had and the perspective I bring from being older.

Also if any of you all are men complaining about being old in med school, try being a woman with people constantly tapping their imaginary watch saying “wow so when will you have time to have kids?”

Answer: when/if I damn well please, and none of your damn business

Reactions: 23 users
Yeah mine passed yesterday and I still have some hope, however I’ve already taken a couple practice mcats and am pretty well accepting of my fate.

This is my second go round of med school application failure, and there is no sugar coating the sadness and deep feeling of loss that goes into getting nothing from investing everything you have into something. On the other hand, I think it’s a good time to reflect on what exactly about being a doctor is going to be fulfilling and how you can pivot your life as it is now to align more with that fulfillment. I think the closer you align yourself to some sort of happiness or fulfillment, the closer you’ll get. That’s how it’s worked out for me. I got closer to becoming a doctor this round than I did my first round by a massive margin, and I credit a good deal of that to personal reflection and modulation of how I lived my life from one cycle to the next. As a result, I’m still devastated that I didn’t get in this cycle. But I have things in my life that make me happy that are aligned with my future in medicine which makes it much easier to not give up hope and not give up trying.

I’m going to be very old for my class when I finally get into medical school. But I’m going to be damn proud of the clinical experiences I’ve had and the perspective I bring from being older.

Also if any of you all are men complaining about being old in med school, try being a woman with people constantly tapping their imaginary watch saying “wow so when will you have time to have kids?”

Answer: when/if I damn well please, and none of your damn business
Male here. Also close to not getting in for the second time, slowly getting older. It’s no fun. But the new apps are in, so all we can really do is reflect and try and hope it pays off eventually. I know it’s tough.

This may not be my place to say as someone who is not in your shoes, but I just wanna say that I think that reapplying multiple times and not giving up in the face of failure requires a lot of strength and resilience. That is more valuable and will probably take you further than being able to get in the first time.

This may not be my place to say as someone who is not in your shoes, but I just wanna say that I think that reapplying multiple times and not giving up in the face of failure requires a lot of strength and resilience. That is more valuable and will probably take you further than being able to get in the first time.

I will take any and all validation and compliments thank u.

Reactions: 5 users
With classes starting in less than 2 weeks is it the right time to ask for feedback on my app ? Bc I actually want it, I really expected to be pulled from the waitlist. Also for ppl who have gotten feedback do you usually call or email? Thanks

With classes starting in less than 2 weeks is it the right time to ask for feedback on my app ? Bc I actually want it, I really expected to be pulled from the waitlist. Also for ppl who have gotten feedback do you usually call or email? Thanks
I emailed to set up an appointment and then had the option of talking about my application over the phone or in person. But that might not be the correct protocol for all schools...

My waitlist school gives two different answers depending on if you call or email lol. I've done both 2 or 3 times, and consistently the answer over email has been "our class is full, we will almost certainly take no one else off" and the answer over call has been "our class isn't even full yet, the odds for any one person aren't great but it's definitely possible and we expect to take at least a couple, if not more." Just when I had finally managed to give up hope xD

My gut feeling is that the email would be more accurate as a phone call is just one person and an email might be seen by more than one--does anyone have any insight as to which might be more accurate?

An email is in writing...sometimes the phone tells the real story

An email is in writing...sometimes the phone tells the real story
dont.jpeg

They should tell you by the 2nd - 3rd day of orientation. Anything you do now can't hurt you so email away if it makes you feel better.

Well, at this point I can’t help but tell myself:
There’s two ways for me to get into med school. One is through applications, the other one is being the cadaver :)

good luck to those reapplying, I’m gonna take some time to clear my mind and retake mcat again

Reactions: 8 users
In the vein of that famous quote: "is it better to have interviewed and failed, or to have never interviewed at all?"

I went from 4 IIs->4 waitlists with no acceptances

Its very demoralizing because I keep thinking back to every single question asked in the interviews and how my responses could have been better.

• Sad
Reactions: 12 users

Its very demoralizing because I keep thinking back to every single question asked in the interviews and how my responses could have been better.

Yeah this sucks.

But don’t forget to remind yourself of how fundamentally broken this system is and that this process isn’t going to define your life. Your life right now, maybe. But not your entire life.

Reactions: 9 users

Same except had 5 II's -> 5 W's :confused: Really thought 1 would turn into an A but now I stay up at night thinking about each interview. Feels bad

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone skipping this cycle to retake the mcat? Hit me up so we can check on each other occasionally

Reactions: 6 users
I wonder what's motivating this sudden movement? Were there some CTE deadlines that just passed?

I personally believe hope is a simultaneous acceptance of potentially great pain and great passion.

To deny hope is to deny your passion and shaming of your heart. To choose hope is to take courage.

You might die limbically if the cycle ends tragically, but the brain is extremely resilient and is able to hope, so long as you accept all the real pain and the sadness and find that you didn’t actually die. To refuse pain is to cut short the healing. Speak truth and stay in it. You’ll survive and maybe become more free.

Until then end, I choose hope. I would love some company along the way but I get why someone would not join me.

I personally believe hope is a simultaneous acceptance of potentially great pain and great passion.

To deny hope is to deny your passion and shaming of your heart. To choose hope is to take courage.

You might die limbically if the cycle ends tragically, but the brain is extremely resilient and is able to hope, so long as you accept all the real pain and the sadness and find that you didn’t actually die. To refuse pain is to cut short the healing. Speak truth and stay in it. You’ll survive and maybe become more free.

Until then end, I choose hope. I would love some company along the way but I get why someone would not join me.
But when you hold on to that hope it is harder, if not impossible, to move on

I've been trying to remind myself to smile. That despite this failure (and my other life struggles) I have it OK all things considered. This is a song to which I enjoy listening when it all seems a little too bleak. Maybe it can give you guys some hope too, IDK lol

hi everyone. new member long time lurker.

I found this page back in april. honestly I kinda wish I hadn't because I wasn't aware of the rule changes and everyone's hypothesis of what was going to happen gave me a lot of hope and made me sure I was going to get in
2 waitlists and orientation for one of my schools is today. I know it's over but I'm so depressed and sad. also I put off studying/reapplying because I was hoping for the best/save money and now I'm super stressed and I have to do everything all at once. I took a year off to do all this and I can't believe it was all for nothing and I have to do it again. everything I have done has been with getting in as the end goal (I know everyone on here is the same) and it's just so disappointing that it seems for nothing.
I know we all feel the same but I needed to get it out. It's literally all I think about ever. So I guess I am glad I found this forum from one aspect because reading everybody's stuff has been helpful. Also congrats to everyone who has gotten in!

Status
Not open for further replies.