2019-2020 Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Creighton University

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know someone who had the experience of switching to the Phoenix, AZ campus for their clinical years?

The Director of Admissions said they do a lottery to decide who gets to go there because of the high interest. It's a popular option, but I'd still like to hear more about it.

Does anyone know someone who had the experience of switching to the Phoenix, AZ campus for their clinical years?

The Director of Admissions said they do a lottery to decide who gets to go there because of the high interest. It's a popular option, but I'd still like to hear more about it.

Hello, I'm an M3 at Creighton.
I was phoenix track but chose to stay Omaha.

In general it's pretty simple. Historically each entering class gets the option to select whether they'd want to be "Omaha track" or "Phoenix track" If the number of students interested in phoenix is greater than the number of spots a randomized list is formed with first X amount filling the list and subsequent students being ranked on a wait list. You have until February M2 year to decide if you'd like to keep your spot/ hear back about receiving a spot off the wait list.

Rotation requirements are the exact same with the exception that M3 electives vary slightly (Phoenix has neuroanaesthesia, and i think thats about the only difference). Otherwise both campuses have the same required number of weeks in each clinic. Administration assesses work hours / number of patients and procedural experiences to try to maintain equality between the 2 campuses but there are some variations here and there.

In theory both campuses are "the same" but there will be innate differences due to different geography/ culture / physician selection. You will perform M3 entirely at the campus you select. You will also likely perform M4 at the location you select however students have the option to do a rotation at the opposite campus if they choose too.

In omaha this means rotating at CHI Bergan (our big hospital) as well as other CHI hospitals (lakeside, immanual, etc.) the Omaha VA and Childrens hospital. Our phoenix campus historically rotated at St. Joseph's but we have since created the CU Arizona health education alliance and have expanded our clinical activities throught the maricopa integrated health system. We (Creighton) will officially have residencies through these hospital systems.

There isn't really any direct benefit / opportunity difference between the 2 campuses. Some may argue there is but other than PHX having the barrow neurological institute I still don't see any. People largely chose clinical campus based on their home location. i.e. All the people from CA, AZ, NM, etc went to phoenix. All the midwesterns (MN, NE, KS, MO, WI, etc.) stayed in omaha.

I'm going to avoid anything more specific simply because things are so influx. Our school is constantly trying to adjust our curriculum to serve our education needs and ensure we graduate excellent doctors.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer/ ask a classmate and relay the info.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received, OOS

Prompts:
Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. 2000 characters

In Creighton's Jesuit, Catholic tradition, the mission of the School of Medicine is to improve the human condition with a diverse body of students, faculty and staff who provide excellence in educating students, physicians and the public, advancing knowledge and providing comprehensive patient care. Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the School or Medicine achieve its mission. 2000 characters

Describe how you have dealt with a personal challenge or major obstacle that you have overcome. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school. 2000 characters

Please describe your current activities/employment if you are not currently enrolled as a fulltime student. 2000 characters

And you gotta enter your coursework, volunteer activities, and a photo

Reactions: 1 user
Prompts:
Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. 2000 characters

In Creighton's Jesuit, Catholic tradition, the mission of the School of Medicine is to improve the human condition with a diverse body of students, faculty and staff who provide excellence in educating students, physicians and the public, advancing knowledge and providing comprehensive patient care. Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the School or Medicine achieve its mission. 2000 characters

Describe how you have dealt with a personal challenge or major obstacle that you have overcome. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school. 2000 characters

Please describe your current activities/employment if you are not currently enrolled as a fulltime student. 2000 characters

And you gotta enter your coursework, volunteer activities, and a photo
Do you think you should write your current activities/employment even if you ARE a current fulltime student?

I really do not understand the upper level physiology course requirement. Should I even submit the secondary if I don't have this?

I really do not understand the upper level physiology course requirement. Should I even submit the secondary if I don't have this?
I think you should still apply and if you get accepted, you can see if you have something that can take this place or take it before you matriculate. Do have you have a course that is similar ?

I think you should still apply and if you get accepted, you can see if you have something that can take this place or take it before you matriculate. Do have you have a course that is similar ?
I have taken an intro to anatomy and physiology course with lab that was quite in-depth and designed to be taken after general biology (though I don't think gen bio is technically a pre-req for the class). Any chance they would accept this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have taken an intro to anatomy and physiology course with lab that was quite in-depth and designed to be taken after general biology (though I don't think gen bio is technically a pre-req for the class). Any chance they would accept this?
That sounds similar to mine. The pre-req was that you had to have gotten a C or better in Intro Bio to take this course and it was a 3000 level course (which is upper level at my university).

You could always call and ask about that one in particular. It certainly seems like it should count.

For the prerequisite sections-- I went to a university that is in a quarter system-- do I input quarter units or semester units into Creighton's application?

I read on reddit that Creighton has a 125 subsection requirement on the MCAT. Can anyone confirm?

Do you think you should write your current activities/employment even if you ARE a current fulltime student?

I don't think you have to but I'm pretty sure I did simply because I was proud of my employment/activities because they were medical/research related.

Message Admissions. Historically, I believe if you can show course/ criteria equivalency they're usually okay. Also sometimes they have interviewed/ accepted students and have asked them to complete an online course that fulfills their requirements prior to matriculation.

Ultimately, reach out to admissions though.

Reactions: 1 users
I read on reddit that Creighton has a 125 subsection requirement on the MCAT. Can anyone confirm?

I saw this post and am super skeptical. I'd contact admissions and ask point blank because I personally don't believe it. Pretty sure their secondary had no strict screen when I applied.

I would suspect this is considered within context. I.e. I seriously doubt that if you score a 130,130,130,124 they'd be like "oh darn sorry nothing below 125" meanwhile someone with 126's across the board somehow makes the cut. despite scoring significantly lower overall.

If this is the case it is brand new and certainly didn't apply to my class although admittedly it will be 3 years later. Like I said, I imagine this is considered in broader context but reach out to admissions.

Anyone else going to submit the secondary and then it says all the essay questions are left blank even when you entered them in and clicked "Save Changes" ?? This has happened to me three times now. I am literally unable to submit this secondary lol

Anyone else going to submit the secondary and then it says all the essay questions are left blank even when you entered them in and clicked "Save Changes" ?? This has happened to me three times now. I am literally unable to submit this secondary lol

I had that issue with a different page. Try a different browser.

So I had this issue. And it was weird because once I hit save, one of my essays had a negative character count, even though it clearly was under 2000 and even said under 2000 before I hit save. I didn't want to deal with it so I ended up deleting an adjective to make it like 14-15 characters shorter and it saved fine.

How did you guys enter your community service description? Did you take a new angle or reiterate what was on AMCAS?
I literally was just like I did x,y,z. They can read my gosh darn primary :mad:

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else's secondary deleting their essays when you go to submit? I'm using one of their preferred browsers, copied from a primitive word processor and have saved my changes. It deletes my essays every time I go to submit...

ETA: Figured it out. It was the negative character count thing again. Not sure how it goes from being under allowed character count to over the allotted count, but if yours is not submitting, check the count when saving.

Last edited:
If I'm TAing, does that count as volunteering? Lol I don't get paid

Also how many non-medical volunteer activities do ppl usually have? I def have 2 but don't know if I should stretch some other ones into here

Also how many non-medical volunteer activities do ppl usually have? I def have 2 but don't know if I should stretch some other ones into here
I had two for like 200 hours lol really shooting my shot here I guess

Did you guys define the 5 traits you listed?

yikes, wrong school lmao

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else not get a email when they submitted the secondary? or a complete email?

I didn't get a complete email, but my status says complete.

Actually, a lot of my schools have not been sending completion emails despite the status saying complete

yikes, wrong school lmao
my heart
I didn't get a complete email, but my status says complete.

Actually, a lot of my schools have not been sending completion emails despite the status saying complete
Yeah I've noticed this too. I guess they figure it's repetitive with the portals which I get

@McNerdy Could you share any insight you have on research opportunities at Creighton? I know that they have great research going on with their staff, but on the website I primarily see the student research opportunities listed at offsite centers. I'd just like to know how easy it is for students to get involved with different projects there. Thanks!

@McNerdy Could you share any insight you have on research opportunities at Creighton? I know that they have great research going on with their staff, but on the website I primarily see the student research opportunities listed at offsite centers. I'd just like to know how easy it is for students to get involved with different projects there. Thanks!
ooo yes I was interested in this too!

Submitted 7/12/19. I was so excited to submit that I made a mistake!!

"I will bring patience and kindness to those with I interact with at Creighton." - game over I guess!
Seriously though, I know making a mistake is bad, but this is my top choice school. Is it really gonna keep me out? I'm kicking myself!

Also just an FYI because I look as soon as I submit, the first recorded II was on August 9th last year.

Submitted 7/12/19. I was so excited to submit that I made a mistake!!

"I will bring patience and kindness to those with I interact with at Creighton." - game over I guess!
Seriously though, I know making a mistake is bad, but this is my top choice school. Is it really gonna keep me out? I'm kicking myself!

Also just an FYI because I look as soon as I submit, the first recorded II was on August 9th last year.

Lmao, you're good! One of my really good friends made 2-3 typos in the school he was in love with and got in

Reactions: 1 users

Were not any means an academic powerhouse, but with that being said the research is here if you are interested / take a slight bit of initiative. I've tried doing a bit of everything, basic lab and clinical research/ case reports, and have had more opportunities than I could ever complete. I've dropped out of projects at least 3 research projects and turned down some smaller projects/case reports during my first 2 years because there's just only so much you can do. We do have several students who do basic lab research but this isn't very common because, well in my opinion it sucks.

You'll learn a lot of med students prefer/ try to do clinical research because 1. its easier to do, 2. its easier to publish. You can spend months doing animal research work or growing bacteria on Petri dishes or something. You can bust out a chart review in a week. A lot of med students who aren't super passionate about research just pump out a few case reports which can be written in a day versus working away for years in a lab for something that might not be publishable. These aren't nearly as meaningful but its basically impossible to get to the 10+ scholarly activities of derm/neurosurgery applicants performing legitimate hardcore basic science research. I mean people complete PhD's and don't publish more than 3-4 papers.

With this being said, there is ample, I mean just a ton, of opportunities to do clinical research/ case reports with residents, fellow and attending at the hospital. Residents want to publish to improve their resumes for fellowship apps and are commonly doing research projects that they want students to help with. Once you are on clinical, you find all kinds of things you can write case reports about. Just last week I saw two patients that residents have decided to write up case reports on because they were rare/interesting presentations.

Many of our clubs/organizations try to set up research experiences. One of our oncologist has a research group where he works with students performing combing cancer databases for meaningful projects. Theres a surgery interest group which works to pair students with faculty across all our surgical subspecialties. Our IM interest group has paired students with residents/ fellows/ attending who were working on case reports for the ACP conference. etc.

Hopefully this answers your question. Were not academic massive research center but there's plenty to do. If you have specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer.

Reactions: 5 users
What a beautiful thing to write about a medical school, paricularly your own. Very uplifting.

lol a bit cliche, but I do believe that the vast majority of our professors care about our success and that the changes occurring to the curriculum will be to the benefit of future classes. I'd plan on some growing pains, but at the end of the day I do feel like the administration cares about our experiences. I think most of the changes my class inherited in comparison to previous years were for the better.

Were not any means an academic powerhouse, but with that being said the research is here if you are interested / take a slight bit of initiative. I've tried doing a bit of everything, basic lab and clinical research/ case reports, and have had more opportunities than I could ever complete. I've dropped out of projects at least 3 research projects and turned down some smaller projects/case reports during my first 2 years because there's just only so much you can do. We do have several students who do basic lab research but this isn't very common because, well in my opinion it sucks.

You'll learn a lot of med students prefer/ try to do clinical research because 1. its easier to do, 2. its easier to publish. You can spend months doing animal research work or growing bacteria on Petri dishes or something. You can bust out a chart review in a week. A lot of med students who aren't super passionate about research just pump out a few case reports which can be written in a day versus working away for years in a lab for something that might not be publishable. These aren't nearly as meaningful but its basically impossible to get to the 10+ scholarly activities of derm/neurosurgery applicants performing legitimate hardcore basic science research. I mean people complete PhD's and don't publish more than 3-4 papers.

With this being said, there is ample, I mean just a ton, of opportunities to do clinical research/ case reports with residents, fellow and attending at the hospital. Residents want to publish to improve their resumes for fellowship apps and are commonly doing research projects that they want students to help with. Once you are on clinical, you find all kinds of things you can write case reports about. Just last week I saw two patients that residents have decided to write up case reports on because they were rare/interesting presentations.

Many of our clubs/organizations try to set up research experiences. One of our oncologist has a research group where he works with students performing combing cancer databases for meaningful projects. Theres a surgery interest group which works to pair students with faculty across all our surgical subspecialties. Our IM interest group has paired students with residents/ fellows/ attending who were working on case reports for the ACP conference. etc.

Hopefully this answers your question. Were not academic massive research center but there's plenty to do. If you have specific questions I'd be happy to try to answer.
Thank you so much for sharing!!