2019-2020 Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OU admissions season is comparatively late so I’m sure you guys will hear back :)

I submitted late, too. August, so I have some time. My MCAT is 512 and GPA 3.7 and am IS so I’ll eat my shoes if I don’t receive an II

Members don't see this ad.

Same situation for me, I had a late mcat and didn't get my secondary in until the end of august, LizzyM 68-71. Hope it doesn't end up hurting my app.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine scored a 510+, IS, GPA 3.8+ and just heard back from them for an interview last friday. She submitted her secondary in July. I submitted early September so ... love that for me lol. Just accepting the fact I might not hear from them until the new year :bang:.

Thank you for this! I do not know the format of the interviews- could you please elaborate?

It's a group interview with one academic physician, one community physician, and one MSIV. The first half of the interview is entirely blind, and they ask you 7 questions based on the AAMC core competencies. All of them are formatted as "tell me about a time when...", and they can have follow up questions as well. Also, my interview started with the question "Tell me about yourself".

That takes about 30-45 minutes, and then you leave the room. They read over your entire application and then when you come back, they ask you questions regarding stuff on your application. No curveballs, however, I did notice that my interviewers were really fixated on one specific (and imo lesser) experience on my application. That can also take 30-45 minutes.

Overall, almost everyone I've talked to, including current OU Med students and also top 20 med school students, have said that OU was their most stressful. I really don't see why - the interview was more structured and formal but it wasn't actually that bad. If you're an OU undergrad, it's very similar to the committee.

IS II today - complete 8/19, 505, 3.96, URM

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, current MS1 here at OU. Don’t freak out too much if you haven’t heard back yet. They will continue to host interviews until late January/Early February if they are running on the same time frame as they were last year. They have only had four or five interview days from what I have seen on campus so far, so there are still plenty of spots and opportunities left for you guys to get in. Best of luck to everyone! Feel free to DM me if you have questions.

Reactions: 1 user
II today! IS, 3.84 GPA, 501 July MCAT, and 506 September MCAT. Got my second score back on October 15th so that is when I submitted my primary (very stressful deadline day) and also submitted my secondary on the Nov 1st deadline... feeling extremely lucky to say the least.

Any OOS applicants get an interview? I've only seen one so far.

They average 3-4 oos spots per interview day (last year they had approximately 35 oos and 270 IS interviews) so as long as oos interviews are spread out evenly among interview days there are potentially 15-18 OOS interviews left. It looks like you have strong ties (OU undergrad), which should help. MSARs shows oos applicants accepted have a median LizzyM score of 74, as long as you're in that range (+/- 3) I imagine you've still got a shot at one of those IIs. Hope that helps and good luck!!

Does anyone else get an error message when they click on their document status? My application says complete and letters received I just thought that was a little odd.

Does anyone else get an error message when they click on their document status? My application says complete and letters received I just thought that was a little odd.

I have it as well. It seems to be on their end.

Interviewed here recently, and one of our tour guides (admin) said that OU was the first medical school to use simulated patients, that they "invented" the concept of the simulated patient. Did anyone else hear this, and do you know where they're getting this? I can't find anything online to support this claim, and in fact it looks like USC was the first. Overall my interview experience here was very positive but this one little thing is bugging me lol

Interviewed here recently, and one of our tour guides (admin) said that OU was the first medical school to use simulated patients, that they "invented" the concept of the simulated patient. Did anyone else hear this, and do you know where they're getting this? I can't find anything online to support this claim, and in fact it looks like USC was the first. Overall my interview experience here was very positive but this one little thing is bugging me lol
I’ve taken an info tour and they said something similar. But it was more along the lines of being one of the first to do so. Not being the first

Accepted! Interviewed okc 10/31 and for Tulsa 11/24. Woot woot

• Love

Very interesting, I didn't hear that in my interview but this has me thinking. OU is quite proud of their SPE facility, which is admittidly much better than some of the other places I've interviewed at. I found this source calling it "novel". Doing some more digging, I found this 1996 paper (Vannatta et al.) published by the interim dean of OUCOM discussing what seems to be the foundation of SPEs. In this paper, it mentions that some other paper (Barrows et al.) described the use of SPEs 20 years prior to that (aka in the 70s). The paper comments that is the first study that shows the efficacy of SPEs in improving the patient interview skills in students. The paper cites other studies conducted by professors, so clearly OU isn't the first to do SPEs. In any case, OU did sort of push this field forward, and I'm assuming this paper was used as a way to get funding to continue SPE development at OU.

Anyways, I'll go back to doing my HW.

Very interesting, I didn't hear that in my interview but this has me thinking. OU is quite proud of their SPE facility, which is admittidly much better than some of the other places I've interviewed at. I found this source calling it "novel". Doing some more digging, I found this 1996 paper (Vannatta et al.) published by the interim dean of OUCOM discussing what seems to be the foundation of SPEs. In this paper, it mentions that some other paper (Barrows et al.) described the use of SPEs 20 years prior to that (aka in the 70s). The paper comments that is the first study that shows the efficacy of SPEs in improving the patient interview skills in students. The paper cites other studies conducted by professors, so clearly OU isn't the first to do SPEs. In any case, OU did sort of push this field forward, and I'm assuming this paper was used as a way to get funding to continue SPE development at OU.

Anyways, I'll go back to doing my HW.

Wow, Thanks for the references! That paper does seem to be the first of its kind, evaluating the use of SPs in medical student education (there is an earlier paper assessing resident clinical skills using SPs). Definitely cool stuff, but I guess I still have an issue with the way it was presented to my applicant group. Like I know it's not a huge lie (and really, the tour guide was probably just a victim of misinformation) but still makes me feel a little like they are desperate to prove themselves or something. Either way, thanks for digging up these sources! You should add this as an hour of research to your Work & Activities

Hey, I was just wondering if there were any other upcoming interviews available for anyone else, or is it already the end of the interview season.

I just got off the phone with OU admissions and they are still handing out interview invites!

II today! Scheduled both OKC and TU interviews for January 12th.
IS, MCAT 506, Undergrad cGPA 3.66 sGPA 3.43, 1st year MPH GPA 3.78

(a) When is the latest OU-COM will send out IIs? Their website says as late as February. I'm beginning to worry.

(b) Does the admissions committee only look at your GPA and MCAT to determine IIs or do they look at the rest of your application as well?

(a) When is the latest OU-COM will send out IIs? Their website says as late as February. I'm beginning to worry.

(b) Does the admissions committee only look at your GPA and MCAT to determine IIs or do they look at the rest of your application as well?
They told me it is based on sGPA (30%) and MCAT (70%) to get an interview. They had an MCAT cutoff of 501 last year based on the number of applications.

They told me it is based on sGPA (30%) and MCAT (70%) to get an interview. They had an MCAT cutoff of 501 last year based on the number of applications.
So a low sGPA and 505 MCAT score won't completely rule me out? The rest of my application is super solid but it doesn't sound like they will look at any of that to determine an interview invite.

So a low sGPA and 505 MCAT score won't completely rule me out? The rest of my application is super solid but it doesn't sound like they will look at any of that to determine an interview invite.
How low is sGPA?

I received an II around this time last year and my MCAT is low but cGPA around 3.7 with science GPA around 3.6