2020-2021 Minnesota, Duluth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II yesterday!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I interviewed here this cycle and wanted to echo what was said a few pages back about the interview specifically. I also wanted to add a few nit-picky things.

- As an OOS applicant, I kinda had a freak out when I realized that my state and Duluth are on different time zones. I was so scared my interview had already started. Luckily, I was an hour ahead, so I just ended up starting at 10:45 and not 9:45. MORAL OF THE STORY, if you are OOS, be cognizant of time zones!
- Actually test your audio on zoom before because a boy in my interview group (before we went to breakout rooms) had issues and I could tell he was distressed. The woman said it happens all the time but it will make you feel better if you test all of that prior.
- Have questions prepared for them. Remember that you are interviewing them/ this school too! Both of my interviewers sort of ended the convo with "Do you have any questions for me?"
- Take a breath. Pause. Allow them to respond or follow up. This is something I had to be especially cognizant of, and practiced when doing practice interviews because I love to talk.
- Idk if this is dumb to say, but bc they said they were not going to consider mcat scores till interview/ when making their decision, I wasn't sure going into my interview if they knew it or not. But if anyone else is wondering this, they did know my mcat, although they never brought it up, I did! I wanted to justify my "lower" score and reassure them of my passion for medicine and point them towards my GPA for a better depiction of my academics.

Overall, you've got this. Take a deep breath and be yourself. Be kind and encouraging to any other applicant you speak with because getting into med school is a team effort. Wishing the best for you all!

I am OOS, and my secondary was finalized on Aug 8th. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Complete mid July. In state. Mcat 506, 3.69 gpa, 3.5 science. 5000+ hours of direct patient care hours and experience with tribal populations. Shadowed a family med doc and expressed my strong interest in that specialty. I really thought I would get an interview and am beyond sad.

• Care
  • Sad
Complete mid July. In state. Mcat 506, 3.69 gpa, 3.5 science. 5000+ hours of direct patient care hours and experience with tribal populations. Shadowed a family med doc and expressed my strong interest in that specialty. I really thought I would get an interview and am beyond sad.
Wow im genuinely shocked, im so sorry! Best of luck to you the rest of the season.. you seem to fit their mission so much and have good stats. :(

Reactions: 1 user
II a little bit ago. Submitted secondary on 8/15 IS
Congrats on the interview! I submitted on 9/7 (also IS) and it seems like it is taking an eternity to get to my application! Patiently waiting haha

Congrats on the interview! I submitted on 9/7 (also IS) and it seems like it is taking an eternity to get to my application! Patiently waiting haha
Thanks! No news is good news :) (I had to keep reminding myself of this)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I just want to echo how sorry I am! You sound like a perfect fit for Duluth. :(

For anyone who has already interviewed, how far in advance did they send out information about scheduling the session with current students? I'm interviewing on Friday and haven't heard anything yet.

For anyone who has already interviewed, how far in advance did they send out information about scheduling the session with current students? I'm interviewing on Friday and haven't heard anything yet.
I didnt get an email until the Monday after my interview!

Reactions: 1 users

It didn't come until after the interview.

Mine took almost a week.

How long does it take to get a response for either interview or R? Completed 9/24

How long does it take to get a response for either interview or R? Completed 9/24
I was complete 8/3 and got II 9/3, but could take a little longer if they have a lot of apps.. the waiting game def sucks :( hang in there!!

big 'ol pre-interview R yesterday. OOS but in region, medium stats, oodles of patient contact hours + clinical research. Sending very best wished to each of you through this process!

big 'ol pre-interview R yesterday. OOS but in region, medium stats, oodles of patient contact hours + clinical research. Sending very best wished to each of you through this process!
Sorry to hear that! <3 When were you complete?

II on 10/28! I'm actually kind of surprised but excited. OOS, Native descendant.

• Love
Decisions were said to come out starting on 11/15, think they hold off until 11/16 since 11/15 is a Sunday?

II this morning (11/13)! :soexcited: My first II and to my top choice, so super stoked! Stats: IS (moved around a lot within MN including some rural towns), cGPA 3.59, sGPA 3.45 (3.68 cGPA for undergrad but GPA for HS college courses was lower), MCAT 507, LM 65. Secondary was complete on 9/7/20. Good luck everybody!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Decisions were said to come out starting on 11/15, think they hold off until 11/16 since 11/15 is a Sunday?

I hope not, but I would understand if so. I wish if they waited till November 16th they would have just said November 16th because I am going to be by my phone all day tomorrow.

Best of luck to everyone - I’m OOS but really hopeful that you all are my future classmates.

• Care
I hope not, but I would understand if so. I wish if they waited till November 16th they would have just said November 16th because I am going to be by my phone all day tomorrow.

Best of luck to everyone - I’m OOS but really hopeful that you all are my future classmates.

i think itll be very unlikely we hear anything tomorrow considering its a sunday lol. These people have lives and dont work on the weekends im sure haha. I mean dont get me wrong id LOVE to hear tmr but probs wont happen... hopefully monday/tuesday!

i think itll be very unlikely we hear anything tomorrow considering its a sunday lol. These people have lives and dont work on the weekends im sure haha. I mean dont get me wrong id LOVE to hear tmr but probs wont happen... hopefully monday/tuesday!
We will see! I know of a couple schools that call for II's on Sundays... so maybe? I am not too sure if I will hear anything tomorrow because I only interviewed mid-late October :/ Hoping they move quickly but hoping the best for all of us!!

We will see! I know of a couple schools that call for II's on Sundays... so maybe? I am not too sure if I will hear anything tomorrow because I only interviewed mid-late October :/ Hoping they move quickly but hoping the best for all of us!!

Exactly, I received news from other schools on Sundays. We shall see...

I'm a TC applicant, but historically Minnesota doesn't seem to do acceptance calls on Sundays. Maybe tomorrow though!

Didn't hear any word today.

Anticipating first word tomorrow.

Fingers crossed everyone!

Anyone hear word? Also does anyone know if they call or send emails?

Accepted! IS. LM 69. Complete 08/05. Interviewed 10/12. From a rural background. Called about 15 minutes ago.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
Does anyone have any insight into the notification process?

E.g. do they make all their calls in one day or over many days, if we don't get a call in this batch does that mean that we can assume that we've been WL/R, etc.?

Edit: The paranoia is setting in. I usually get about 3 spam calls a day and my wife calls me at least twice a day while at work, and yet I haven't received a single phone call today...

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any insight into the notification process?

E.g. do they make all their calls in one day or over many days, if we don't get a call in this batch does that mean that we can assume that we've been WL/R, etc.?
Wondering the same thing myself.. i have no clue what their process is

Wondering the same thing myself.. i have no clue what their process is

I remember them saying something about if one or both of your interviewers can’t make a meeting, that your decision will be delayed. Could be that situation. I haven’t heard back either.

I know this is how the process of deciding acceptances works:
-Day of Interview: Your two interviewers discuss their notes on you and provide a numerical ranking
-The ad committee meets (I think the woman said) every Monday. When both of your interviewers are available to make it to the ad com meeting, they will advocate for you and the rest of the committee will provide a numerical ranking of you of their own. This gets sent to the Twin cities.
-The twin cities reviews your app and their ranking of you, and provide insights. They send it back to Duluth.
-At that point, they make the decision. Where you are on the waitlist is determined by your respective numerical rankings initially given by the committee.

I do not know the process of notifying people, but the lady also said that they average 6-8 week response post interview. I hope this helps!! Don't worry fam, we will become doctors!!!

I know this is how the process of deciding acceptances works:
-Day of Interview: Your two interviewers discuss their notes on you and provide a numerical ranking
-The ad committee meets (I think the woman said) every Monday. When both of your interviewers are available to make it to the ad com meeting, they will advocate for you and the rest of the committee will provide a numerical ranking of you of their own. This gets sent to the Twin cities.
-The twin cities reviews your app and their ranking of you, and provide insights. They send it back to Duluth.
-At that point, they make the decision. Where you are on the waitlist is determined by your respective numerical rankings initially given by the committee.

I do not know the process of notifying people, but the lady also said that they average 6-8 week response post interview. I hope this helps!! Don't worry fam, we will become doctors!!!
Sounds familiar.. but I interviewed like 7 weeks ago now so was hoping to hear right after their “nov 15 hold”

WL.

Got the email around 1330.

Says that rankings won't come out until the end of March. Doesn't offer any other information.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users